Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Hi
    I enjoyed your post. Coincidentally, I am very close to buying the exact same car you mentioned. A 99 Camry LE. How much did you pay for it? I'm curious to see what a good rate is.
    To answer your question, the car I am looking at does have a cd player in the upper part of the trunk. When you open the trunk, it was placed near the top right side of the truck, from like the ceiling. I guess it could be placed other places as well. The guy said he had it professionally installed a year ago for $500 for a 6 CD changer.
    Ok, hope to hear back from you.

Dan
  • Hi, I just bought a new 2006 Camry SE 4cyl. with JVC sound, Spoiler, Automatic and Ground effects. It's Silver with a charcoal cloth interior. I'm real excited since this is my first Toyota. :D
  • Hello, all you Camry owners. I'm now in your club -- bought my first Toyota a couple of months ago. It's a red '05 XLE V6 with all options except navigation. Also, to make it stand out from the millions of other Camrys, I had a double custom paint stripe put on, chrome wheel moldings, and a cinnamon roadster top with Toyota emblems on each side. Sharp! The cinnamon top is light tan with a burgundy fleck through it -- very subtle. I've gotten lots of compliments on it. Some people think it's a convertible. Almost 2K miles on it already and so far I love it. My other car is a 12 year old Mercury Grand Marquis with 202K miles that I bought new. The Camry is certainly a change from the Merc, but a lot nicer in many ways. I hope to have it for quite a few years. If I knew how to post a picture, I'd do it.
  • bildowbildow Posts: 100
    I have an 05 camry and will soon be changing my first oil for the transmission I see that toyota uses a type iv trans fluid I have found a synthetic fluid from amsoil that says it works in the new camry transmission does anyone know about amsoil fluid and does it work. I also am trying a K&N air filter to help get better gas mileage and put on a flow master muffler I have gotten 3 miles improvement to the gallon so far. I also put a transmission cooler in line with the radiator to help cool down the trans fluid since in California we sit in traffic all day, and I was told by a transmission shop a cooler would help extend the life of the transmission does any know if this is true. I put the trans cooler in my self to save money does the cooler help make the trans last longer. I also about to change my engine oil to synthetic oil using mobil one or amsoil does anyone know if it helps make the engine last longer.
  • Hey

Im sorry I havent gotten back to your post...I havent been on the site in a while! You probably have decided whether or not you would buy the car, so I guess this not that helpful, but anyway...I paid 4600 for it. It is in pretty good condition, runs strong and looks great! The going rate from what I hear is about 5500 from a private party, 7900 from a dealer, but of course you can haggle. I got mine from a private party and got a nice deal because I am a poor college student :).

Thanks for the info on the CD Changer. I am saving up and hopefully I can afford one by Christmas or January.

Sorry I am so late, and if you already bought the car, you will not be disappointed. Good luck!
  • Hey guys:

I recently bought a '01 Camry with 44 k on it. This is my 1st camry and hope it would stay with me for many years!
  • Hi all,

Just wondering if damage would occur if I start and stop the engine too often? Eg. Go into a milk bar to get some cigie, so the engine is turned off for a minute or two then turned back on again.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    I'd consider the risk of nominally premature engine wear from short turn-off, turn-on cycles is trumped by the risk of grandtheft-auto. (Imagine trying to explain to the police and your insurance agent why you left the motor running in an unattended car.)
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Wear on the engine occurs on a cold start. If you've driven for a mile or so, stop and restart, that's not a problem.
    "My windows fog up the minute I turn off the air con. Even when its cold, I have to run the air in conjunction with the heater. Whats the go?"

Hello to "down-under" from "up-over"! (I presume the translation of "What's the go?" to the American idiom is, "What's up with that?". :)) Cold weather window fogging isn't unusual at all. The glass areas are subject to constant cooling in cold weather since they're directly exposed to chilled outside air. Glass is a pretty good conductor of heat (or lack thereof). If there's ANY moisture within the cabin, (and there WILL be since our breath is laden with moisture - it's the way our metabolism operates!) The problem is exacerbated further if the outside air is humid or under drizzly and rainy conditions and fresh air is being cycled through the cabin. Ditto if you were caught in the rain and your clothing is wet.) In short, whatever its source, moisture will condense on the coolest surface(s) available - can't be helped. By engaging the A/C compressor, the cabin air is continually dehumidified by directing it to the even colder evaporator coils (just a bit above freezing) which efficiently condense the moisture for ellimination through the heater core/evaporator case drain tube to the ground below. In the American midwest and southeast, particularly noted for VERY humid spring-summer weather, it's common to see a steady stream of condensate dribbling from the heater core/evaporator case drain tube onto the ground under the car while idling on a driveway or parking lot. Your car's A/C-ventilation system is operating properly. But, you might want to test that the drain tube isn't plugged by observing whether there's a drip with the A/C on in humid conditions. If there isn't, clear it with a length of stiff wire. The tube is usually plastic or rubber and extends slightly below bottom of the car near the firewall area. The cooperation of your service shop to use its hydraulic lift makes the job much easier. Please don't crawl under the car if it's only being supported by a tire-change jack. Your first mistake with this arrangement will be your last. (The law of gravity applies even "down-under". . .)
  • G'day, I have a 2002 V6 Camry, which I bought in Aug 2002. I am happy with it apart from a couple of minor problems. I live in a country town and do about 25000miles a year, mostly on country roads and a bit on dirt roads. I did it through a salary sacrafice/lease deal through work and the lease runs out in Aug 2006. I don't know whether I will get another one or not. The performance is good, petrol mileage is a bit of a disappointment, but the lack of clearance is a bit hard to come to grips with, especially on our backroads (holed the auto trans sump,125 miles from the nearest town, $1500 later) and the strange handling from a front wheel drive car is not to my liking. Magic carpet ride on good roads though.

My windows fog up the minute I turn off the air con. Even when its cold, I have to run the air in conjunction with the heater. Whats the go? I posted this elsewhere, but can't find it.
  • Hello mdgur123 - CCCamry here.
    Just joined the forum - just purchased a 2001 Camry LE Oct. 22nd. Now...my engine light is on. Someone told me it was probably me not screwing in the gas cap tight (came on two days after I filled up). It has been two days since I screwed in on tight and the engine light is still on.
    What advice did you get from your message? Does it cost a lot to get a diagnosis? Your comments welcomed. I love the car, it runs well, only 9,580 miles when I bought it for $9,500! A great deal - I think - now I'm a bit worried.
    Thanks for your help.
    Two points (not necessarily in order of importance . . .)

1> when you replace the fuel filler cap, don't go by what "feels" tight; tighten it until it clicks several times, and don't worry about breaking something - there's a built-in ratchet to allow loud clicking that can be heard over traffic din. When you hear the clicking, that's your cue that the cap is really properly tightened.

2> most autoparts chain stores (Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Autozone, etc.) will do a fault code read for you free. It only takes a few moments with the hand-held computer reader that plugs into the dash wiring harness. (You can even buy the things, but they're a rather expensive toy for the infrequent use a car owner is apt to give them.) Armed with the codes you can then decide where you want to take your car for service.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    Another option is to disconnect the battery for 30 min or so. You will lose your radio presets and the time and also the check engine light. If if comes back on within a day or so, then you probably have a legitimate problem. If not, it was some intermittant fault that didn't re-occur.
  • shaanshaan Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My name is Shan and i bought a 2001 Camry Solara with 55K miles. Car ran good first time when i drove out of the parking lot of a dealer, but a week later i started hearing rattling noise and wind noise from driver side window. anyone else have this problem? i took it back to the dealer and he assured me that they worked on it, but i don't see a difference.. trunk get flooded during fall because sunroof has tubing that goes through trunk and they were clogged so they cleaned it out.. backlight goes bad almost every other day... I liked it because of reliability because i drive more than 20K a year,b ut i would buy an american over it anytime..
  • rjh1982rjh1982 Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I got my camry back in December of 2000, and it was 500 dollars, it ran great but had 174k miles on it. the owner thought it was gonna wear out. It is now 2006 and the paint needs repainting, a valve cover gasket, and a power steering pressure hose, and a new front seat cover. But something else has me completely puzzled. the engine is loosing power and can not do interstate speeds anymore without the valves shaking like crap, it doesn't have its power, my dad thinks its the timing belt (which has never been replaced) the only major work done to it was a clutch. but the power loss and not able to go fast speeds is really troubling me. I love my camry (even though it has no options except for a/c, not even the dashboard clock is there, just a black piece of plastic to cover the hole from the plant, hehe and no im not kidding) but I love my camry and will never give it up. doing pizza delivery and going from tn to michigan almost every week got those miles up, but the car did get all its minor stuff like oil, plugs, etc done on time, I don't wanna give it up but can someone tell me why the valves shake and the car not able to pull loads, go above 55, and loss of power please! tell me its the timing belt so i can get it fixed, i can't afford to go to toyota dealership in knoxville, they said it would be 400 bucks just to look @ it, Thank you very much p.s. timing belt is original

Ricky :sick: :( :cry:
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    I find it impossible to believe you have 502K miles on the original timing belt. (502K miles on the engine without a general rebuild is a stretch, too. ;)) Even if the previous owner replaced the timing belt at its two nominal 60K mile changeout intervals while in his possession, that still translates to a nearly equally unbelievable 382K miles on the current timing belt. In any event the current belt needs changing - NOW, not when it's convenient! Your engine runs poorly because it valves are mistimed due either to stretching, loss of a belt tooth or two, or both. (Given your claimed accumulated miles on this engine, I'm surprised it even runs at all.) You have two choices in the matter:

1> Continue to operate your car as is and wait for the belt to break outright (shouldn't be long, now...). The advantage to this scenario is that the valve noise will cease immediately. The disadvantage of this scenario is that, 1) if you're lucky, the engine won't run until you have a new timing belt installed, or 2), if you're unlucky, moving pistons will slam into stationary open valves and waste the engine. (Picture your mental state when confronted with the rare thrill of seeing a bent, broken connecting rod sticking out of a recently acquired hole in the side of the cylinder block - miles from the safe haven of home in a neigborhood of questionable ethics at 2:00 A.M.)

2> Take the chicken way out and have the timing belt replaced immediately. The advantage to this scenario is that the properly timed engine will have its customary power restored.
  • ocwocw Posts: 1
    hey ppl... i recently bought a toyata camry 2.4 model. when closing the front passenger door, i get a shock almost everytime. not sure whether is it a electric shock or a static shock. any ideas?
  • leob1leob1 Posts: 153
    I have had my 05 Camry SE 5sp now for almost 3 yrs and am nearing the end of the lease. I have not seen anything that matches the quality of this car after numerous test drives and visits to new car lots recently. I think the residual price of $11300 is a deal that I cannot pass on. I think Toyota went downhill with the new Camry and I dislike it so much that I would never consider purchasing or leasing one.

I highly recommend the SE package Camry to anyone considering this year and make. It has a lot of goodies that I really began to appreciate over time. I have enjoyed the 2.4 motor (picked it over the V6) and it is very practical for a number of reasons.
This discussion has been closed.