Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    boomerst: how did you locate an LE with Side curtain bags, that is impossible to get here in N.J.
  • Options
    boomerst3boomerst3 Member Posts: 5
    I told them I wanted the side airbags and the ABS, and they were able to find it from another dealer.
  • Options
    This is the best price I can find down here, and I got these bids over the internet through Edmunds. I have a second one who is at the same price....$100 more on the car, but $100 less on the dealer fee, for the same bottom line. I went into one dealer, Coggins Toyota in Jacksonville, with my internet quote from them and they still played the salesman/manager game...the manager actually came back with a quote almost $2000 higher than their own internet quote. They came back down to earth, but did not beat these guys. I walked out anyway.
  • Options
    They will very quickly remove the Toyoguard price if you tell them to....
  • Options
    davidpdavidp Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 4cyl. LE Phantom Gray with Stone. ABS,upgrade JBL sterio,carpet/trunk mats and ashtray for 17,650.(includes 1,000 rebate)

Price after TTL 18,757.25.

PS. Yes I know I should quit.
  • Options
    wwwuserwwwuser Member Posts: 3
    I bought a Toyota Camery LE with ABS and curtain airbags from Miller Toyota at Manassas, VA. at $19,000 plus tax and processing fees which is not a good deal according to other's prices posted here and it's really not a pleasant experience. On the third day I figured I don't like the deal and I took it back with 60 miles on it. I asked them if I can return the car. The managers would like to impound the car if I leave the car over there and threatened to impound myself which is really mean. They said if I pay $2,500 then I can return the car.

Some advises:
    Some dealer like Ourisman Chantilly Toyota in VA has 72 hours money back guarantee which is really good. Also Be careful with the edmunds website when you calculate the prices because something like moonroof could be double counted be their default settings.
  • Options
    slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    Invoice for camry with ABS is 18559,so 19,000 is not such a bad price but did you get any rebate? it seems most are getting $1000 rebate, that seems to be the difference.
  • Options
    rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    is $1,500 in Florida and I believe the Southeast Region for an LE.

The bad news is that you don't see any LEs with side curtains and ABS. Or, SEs with side curtains. I guess Toyota thinks we're all daredevils down here.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I question as to why you purchased a car that you believed not to be a good deal? In my opinion, you should have done your research on prices paid prior to the purchase.

For what its worth, I dont think the price you paid is really that bad. In my area, Central NJ, a Camry LE equipped like yours (with auto, ABS, side curtains, and floormats), shows a selling price on Carsdirect.com (a better indicator of potential purchase prices than Edmunds.com, in my experience) of $18,650. Thats really not far off your price of $19,000.

Try to relax a bit. If you can afford your payments and like your Camry, then enjoy it, learn from the experience, and dont return to that dealer that you dislike.

~alpha
  • Options
    wwwuserwwwuser Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. I had learned my lessons. Sometimes people make wrong decision because they are under pressure from the sales persons, tired or even try to be polite. The sales manager showed me the invoice that he bought this car at $20,500, he can only make a little money and the sales is so slow on a nice weather Saturday etc to get me signed the contract. I post the message here trying to help others from getting into the same trap in Manassas Toyota, VA.

My mistake was I did not do enough research. Other offers for the same car is $18,300 in northern Virginia plus two year free maintenance service which I did not know after I bought this car. Keep in mind that by law the dealer would not let you return the car once you signed the contract, but it totally up to the dealer if you only add a little milage such as driving the car home and back. Ourisman Toyota has 72 hours money back guarantee which is really cool.
  • Options
    raomraom Member Posts: 3
    davidp, can you post dealer information ? Thanks.
  • Options
    to be fair to the dealership, I got my car at the same place and got a good deal, I'm sure part of it was that I had a good no pressure salesman but I did a lot of research beforehand since this was my first car buying experiment. also it helps to go in with someone else.
  • Options
    flgalflgal Member Posts: 9
    After a week of intense research, I have finally purchased a new Camry LE automatic, w/ ABS, side/curtain airbags, sunroof, alarm system, mats, and 'Toyoguard' for about 19k after rebate, or $20,450 OTD in Miami, FL.

I did some comparative research with the Honda Accord LX with the driver side curtain airbag and ABS (there was no sunroof or curtain airbag option) and got the price of $19,200 OTD, but I fell in love with the Camry and couldn't resist.

My biggest advice is to contact at least 10 dealers by phone/fax w/n a 3-hour radius and ask them about the precise options you want. Many of the dealers around Miami didn't have the ABS/side-curtain airbags, so I had to call some dealers further away, but the dealer from whom I purchased the car delivered it via flatbed truck to Miami free of charge, and I got to test-drive it here without any prior commitment. The dealer even paid for my taxi-ride from the rental car place to the car pick-up site.

A helpful new-car buying kit is fightingchance.com, which has sample faxes you can send to dealerships. It was around $42 for me and worth every penny. Almost every dealership I faxed called me with price quotes within 48 hours. Before I got that kit, I wasted many hours in car dealerships. I was also nervous about the fact that I had just moved to Miami, am a woman, knew *nothing* about cars, am a first-time buyer, and didn't have anyone to accompany me during negotiations at the dealership. I guess the market forces of a 'reverse' auction are more effective than car-buying stereotypes!
  • Options
    Sounds like you got a good deal. What was the MSRP on your vehicle? I'm looking for something similar in Central Florida but can find very few LEs with side curtains and sunroof. Those I do find sticker at about $25K.
  • Options
    Here are the specs of the car that I requested from dealerships:

Code No. Vehicle / Equipment Invoice MSRP
    2531 2004 Toyota Camry LE $17,043 $19,045
    #4EC 4-Speed Automatic Transmission 743 830
    AB 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes 258 300
    GY Front Dual Side and Curtain Airbags 559 650
    SR Power Tilt and Slide Glass Moonroof 720 900
    Destination (shipping charge) 515 515
    Total $19,838 $22,240

So MSRP on the car I requested was $22,240. W/ security system and mats and Toyoguard I think it would probably be around $23k. I'm amazed that you're finding LE's that are so expensive. It could be that the dealer has added a lot of extras, like sealant, window tinting, or wood paneling to inflate the price. I ultimately bought my car from Earl Stewart Toyota in Lake Park. Given that it's the end of the month and close to the end of the model year you should find some great deals.
  • Options
    PS. The Toyota Camry LEs with side/curtain airbags usually come as part of a package - that is, with ABS, JBL 8-speaker audio (I'm not sure how JBL relates to the safety package!), sunroof, and sometimes alarm, sometimes Toyoguard. It's very difficult to separate out these options; but if you insist that you didn't want the other options, the dealer will throw them in for free or at a reduced price.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information. The reason the car I priced was so expensive was that it was an LE-V6. There are only a couple of LE-4 models with side curtains/ABS in Central Florida, and they also come with a leather package which puts the price at about $25K. Way too much for an LE-4. That is in the same atmosphere as an Accord V6 or an Altima SE.
  • Options
    That high price is one reason why Toyota doesnt offer an LE (4 or V6) with factory-installed leather. Personally, I wouldnt want aftermarket leather anyway. The XLE 4 can be equipped with significantly more feautres (fully loaded...Premium Plus Pkg, Alloys, Mats, Heated Seats)for about $25,839 on the sticker (so why would anyone want an LE with a similar MSRP?). Note the Altima 2.5SL fully loaded has a similar MSRP, though the comparable Accord EX-L 5A is about a grand cheaper at $24,790.

Flgal- Congrats on your new Camry- keep us posted on how you like it!! Which color did you choose!!

~alpha
  • Options
    Thanks for your inquiry, alpha. I chose the color silver, for which I have affectionately nicknamed my car Silver Beauty (aka Puppy). I love it! It's got a smooth ride and handles beautifully, and of course the sunroof is being used to the maximum extent.
  • Options
    nice deal on the camry..I really like the smooth ride also, on a well paved road, I think of it as (with help from BMW) The ultimate smooth driving machine...LOL
  • Options
    davidpdavidp Member Posts: 2
    The dealer was Bernardi Toyoto in Framingham MA. I got a price of 17,130(just mats)form internet sales. Added ABS, JBL sterio & ashtray
    price went up to 17,650.
  • Options
    Davidp, please post your dealership name. Thanks.
  • Options
    kendpetersonkendpeterson Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I am new to the board and am about to buy a Camry in the Orlando, FL are within the next two weeks. I found a deal who wants to sell me a 2004 Automatic SE sedan with:
    Rear Spoiler
    Splashguards
    16 inch Enkei alloy wheels
    carpet mats
    JBL AM/FM/Cass/CD w/8 Spkrs in 6 Locations
    all for the price of $23,000 (including tax, title and fees)
    Does this sound like a bargain?
    Thanks for any suggestions
  • Options
    There is probably more money on the table for you if you want to go after it. Just for comparison, I had a deal worked three weeks ago for a SE V-6 with the JBL package for about that same price. I would think the deals should be better this late in the month.

If I were you I would look closely at the LEs, since they carry the $1,500 rebate in Florida. If you find one with a sunroof, you are getting essentially the same car as the SE-4 and you should save a couple of thousand.
  • Options
    If you've ever driven an SE and an LE back to back, they have fairly different characters. The XLE and LE feel largely the same, but the SE corners more flatly, and rides more firmly (perhaps "harshly" for some), and thus, offers a different experience than the LE/XLE.

In answer to your question, kendpeterson, I dont think thats a very good deal, even including TTL.
    Do you need the Enkei wheels? If not, find an SE 4 with the stock wheels and save a bunch.

If you want the SE (and among Camry models, its certainly MY preference), Id say you can get out the door for at least a grand less.

~alpha
  • Options
    Yes, the SE-4 handles a little more aggressively, but the point I was attempting to make to kendpeterson was that for the savings (probably at least 2 grand) involved between the SE and LE, I would at least test the LE before making the decision.

Or, should he be committed to an SE, the quote he received should put him very close to landing an SE-6, a much better option IMHO.
  • Options
    This is kinda what I thought. Actually, I am working with the internet salesman, as I am currently overseas and won't get to Orlando for another two weeks. We wanted the SE because of the sunroof and this one is the only one he has listed. The price is as:
    Invoice: $18,427
    Options: $ 1,671
    Del, Proc, Hndlg: $565
    Admin: $575
    Total: $21,238

He said he would go down to $20,998. Course this doen't include tax, title and tag.

Actually, this guy seems pretty reasonable, but I do wonder if this is a good deal or how far down I should ask before he says "no deal".
    Thanks;
    Ken
  • Options
    jeansdngjeansdng Member Posts: 12
    I bought my Camry SE-4 about a moth ago, it has A/T, Sunroof, rearspoiler, floormat, wheellock,JBL premium audio, alloywheel, remote unlock/lock and ABS. Total OTD = $19600. Your price seem pretty high for SE-4 in Orlando I think you can buy a SE V6 with that price.
    Hope this help you,
    NL
  • Options
    Where in the world did you get such a good deal, and how did you talk them into it?
  • Options
    OK, you got me hooked. I am gonna contact them and see if they can give me the same deal. Do you remember who your salesperson was, by chance?
  • Options
    jeansdngjeansdng Member Posts: 12
    sorry for the confusing...i bought my camry SE4 at Darcar Toyota in Rockville Maryland.
  • Options
    I have been trying various internet salesperson in Florida trying to buy a Camery LE. I found what I want, but when I asked about the Arbitration Agreement, I was told ~ "Also as far as the arbitration agreement goes, yes we do have one as does every other Toyota dealership in the state of Florida, it is just something that is designed to protect the dealerships."

Is this right? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    loret03loret03 Member Posts: 9
    The closest I came to that deal was 2004 4-dr SE V6 with VSC amd side airbag pkg (retail $1300), SE premium pkg ($1630), driver and passenger heated seats ($315), rear spoiler (435), and floor mats (184) for 23,667 but that price included using the $1000 rebate and no special financing. Then, there was tax, title, and the $53.50 doc fee every dealer in Illinois likes to extract. Good luck!
  • Options
    If there are really no strings attached as you state there arent, JUMP ON IT!

~alpha
  • Options
    Just bought a new Camry LE w/ Auto, ABS, carpets from Town and Country Toyota in Charlotte. Out the door price is %17,000 (includes title, tax and all other fee). This includes %1,500 discount available until 6/30.
  • Options
    camry04secamry04se Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I am new here. I brought a 04 camry se-v6 with the se premium package three weeks ago for $22,700 before TTL. After reading this forum, I think I might be paying too much. As for car, I enjoy every moment of it when I am behind the wheel.
  • Options
    You got close to 4 grand off the sticker, so you did great. I'd take that deal in a second. A dealer yesterday wouldn't take $21.5K on an SE-V6 without the premium package I was trying to buy, so I passed.
  • Options
    camry04secamry04se Member Posts: 3
    With the 05 model coming around the corner, I am sure you'll find a better deal soon. Good luck hunting!
  • Options
    Probably out of the market now until I see what the 05s look like. Was checking out the interior of the Solara at the dealership yesterday, and if that interior goes into the new Camry, I think I would like it better.
  • Options
    zube00zube00 Member Posts: 2
    Bought an XLE V6 yesterday in NJ thru CarsDirect.com (unfortunately, I didn't know about the '05 model until today otherwise I would have waited ... I hate when that happens).

Options: XLE Premium Package, VSC & Side Airbag Package, Heated Seats, Floor Mats, Power Accelerator Pedal and Wheel Locks.

MSRP: $29,118
    I paid: $25,363 (includes $1,000 rebate)
  • Options
    loret03loret03 Member Posts: 9
    I would have but I got the Honda EX V6 4 dooor for 23K plus tax, title, and license. Seems like a similar car but for $650 less and better financing offer. The Honda is a little sportier looking also and faster acceleration. The camry seems to float slowly between lower gears in the automatic.
  • Options
    fruto123fruto123 Member Posts: 5
    LE with AB option. Paid OTD $17,275 at 355 Toyota in MD. They have the cheapest LE in town. No negotiation at all. Just go to their website and print out their Internet price and show it to them.
  • Options
    hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    I bought a 4 Cyl SE with ABS and Side/Curtain airbags in TX for around $20K OTD w/rebate, so I think you might be able to negotiate another ~ $500 off of your OTD price. I think the SE is a little nicer, it has nicer handling, and I believe that my SE is a little safer than I could get in an LE.

However, I DID have to sign an obnoxious arbitration agreement (AA). These seem to be popping up all over the country, but I believe tey are in the minority for the moment.

First, you need a legal friend to read the document for you to see what constitutional rights you are signing away. If it is a BINDING AA then you can't sue them ... perhaps even if they pour water in your gas tank due to obvious incompentence during repairs. Clearly they wouldn't want to do that because the public opinion would be almost as bad as the lawsuit... but I don't like the implication, anyway. If it is a NON-binding lawsuit, you can dispute the results of an arbitration.

As far as I know, they can't wipe away your Lemon Law rights, which are unique to each state. You could try to refuse to sign and you can see if the Sales rep is giving you a line about AA being Florida-wide.

I signed because I still trust Camry, altho the dealer did shake that trust a bit. And I have never had to sue a dealer ... Also, they may still be able to get you to sign an AA whenever you take it for maintenance and repairs ... even if you don't take it to the dealer ... because the repair shops "could" institute an AA....

I got this link from Edmunds: http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1206-09.htm

- hank2
  • Options
    eddiepieeddiepie Member Posts: 2
    I went and drove a Camry LE at Colonial Toyota in Milford, CT. I liked the way the car rode and handled, thought the A/C wasn't very good, but overall I liked the car. Then it came time to negotiate.

First of all, the sticker on the car was for $20,100 and the dealer even read it when we were looking the car over. When we get inside he starts the negotiation by saying the price of the car is $22,125! I say, "What are you talking about?" He says the actual price sticker fell off because of the heat and goes out to the car to get it. Of course it says $22K and lists add-ons like pin stripping that weren't even on the car! I told him that we didn't even want the add-ons listed so let's start back with the $20K pricing. After more nonsense like this he brings over the sales manager who starts us back at $22K! I told them of the prices I've seen at Edmunds and even in the paper that aren't even close to what he's trying to sell this car to me for and he says, "Well maybe I could sell you a Corrola for around $16K!" That was when my wife and I walked out laughing.

I went down the road and bought a Chevy Malibu LS for $16K and couldn't be happier.
  • Options
    zelenazelena Member Posts: 2
    I am shopping around for a basic CAMRY LE in Houston TX. Can anyone help me what the best price will be, especially if anyone bought this recently.

Due to my poor english accent (I am from Mexico) I am not effectively communicat and get a good deal.

Thx
    Zelena
  • Options
    If you are sure you want a Camry LE and have had your test drive, then do your negotiating over the internet.

The easiest way is to use Edmunds' New Car tab at the top of this page. Click on new cars and then Toyota and then Camry LE. That will lead you to the TMV price of what many people are playing for a car similar to the one you want to buy. It will also show you the invoice price of the car. From that you information can determine what price you want to pay

You can email several dealers from Edmunds and they should contact you with a price. You can also look up the email address of dealers in your area (do a google search, or go to buyatoyota.com) and make your offer. Offer an "out-the-door" price that includes all fees and taxes so you will not have to deal with any "add-on" charges. If you don't know how much your sales tax will be, then have a local dealer explain it to you. Then add $100 or so for tags.

If you have a trade in, then go to Edmunds used cars above and do an appraisal on your car so you know what a fair price for your trade will be.

Also, if possible, visit your bank ar another lender and arrange financing before you go to the dealership to pick up your car. If you already have financing, then the dealership will have to beat the interest rate you already have to earn your business.

Remember, the LEs have rebates in many parts of the country, and you should get a very good deal right away on an 04 model because the 05s are on the way.

The internet gives people who do not have confidence in their language skills or negotiating ability an opportunity to buy a car at a good price.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    cwocwo Member Posts: 3
    Purchased in June in St. Louis.
    MSRP: 26,394
    Purchase Price: 22,893 (includes $1,000 rebate).
    Options: Premium package, spoiler, mats, heated seats.
    Negotiated the price over the internet.
  • Options
    axiomowneraxiomowner Member Posts: 76
    I was offered $22500 + TTL today for an 04 Camry XLS 4 Cyl with Leather, Sunroof, side airbags, Heated Seats, and carpet mats.
  • Options
    wwlccpwwlccp Member Posts: 25
    Hi,

Went to a dealership today and they quoted me 22,500 for the 04 SE V6 with the HI, RF, AW, and FE packages included. Is this a good deal? The guy said that he can prob do a 300-500 dollars less with permission from the manager. I'm planning to head to one to two more dealerships tomorrow before I make my decision on this car.

I had a bad buying experience from Lee's Toyota. Went to dealership and they wouldn't talk to me unless I filled out this stupid guest sheet. After talking a price, they asked what price I wanted for the SE V6. I quote 20k and the guy asked his manager and came back with the answer "Yes but I need a for you to show that you are serious and for me to make a deposit" We didn't even talk about OTD price and he's already asking for a deposit? I tried to continue to deal with them but they jsut woudn't continue. Seemed like what they wanted was my money and didn't care about selling the car. WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME! Never going to go there again.
  • Options
    bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    Anybody buy an '04 LE in northern Cal. lately? My best quote so far is $16,888 + DMV, Lic.& tax. Automatic, standard equipment, no options. That's basically invoice, no destination charge & the $1000 rebate in this region. I'd like to know if anyone else in CA has a recent buying experience. Thanks