Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ccc132435ccc132435 Member Posts: 31
    2004 Camry LE V6 with JBL, Mirror Upgrade, Security System Upgrade,Vehicle Shield Package. Total price is $20.3K + TTL (After rebates, Incentives, etc.).

Is it a good deal? Could it be a little cheaper?
    Please Help!
  • bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    Have you done your homework, i.e., priced it through Edmunds? (base invoice + invoice price of options, & TMV). How about dealer quotes? If not, that's the place to start. Don't be in a hurry because you've got one dealer quote. Do your research, get some quotes, then ask for feedback here. That's my $.02 Good luck!
  • ccc132435ccc132435 Member Posts: 31
    Bernie,

Thanks for your 2c. If I decided to post the question it was because I have already done all my homework for the last 4 weeks additionally this one might be my first Toyota and they are not as flexible as Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge, here you have to pay even for the mats and road assistance. Could you still help?
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I think it is a pretty good deal compared to what I paid for my 2003 LE V6. Mine was 21.8k + TTD. Mine has pretty much the same option yours has. If you like the car then take the plunge. I don't think a brand new V6 Camry will get any cheaper than this.
  • slov98slov98 Member Posts: 112
    I think it's a good deal, I got an 03 le v6 for 20700 before various fees and I didn't get the mirror and security upgrade, what is the shield package? my rebate was $500 at that time

have you looked at an 05? it's a bit different from 04
  • qheqhe Member Posts: 4
    I got a dealer price as $19800 Out the door for a 2005 Camry LE in louisville, kentucky. Do you think it is a good deal or not? How much is reasonable?
    you need to tell us the price before the fees and taxes, each state is different.
  • stevgestevge Member Posts: 19
    Did you get the keyless entry and alarm system installed by a dealer or somewhere else? Could you tell me the name of the dealer/shop? How much was the total cost for the keyless entry and alarm system? Thanks!

BTW, your car should be a 2005 Standard.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    Why should it be a 2005 Standard? I don't get it. Can you get me a 2005 for $15,898?

I really don't remember the name of the place where I got the alarm. It's somewhere on Northern Blvd. in Queens (near Main Street if you know the area). The dealer offered to install one for $595. The one I got (Viper) cost me about $270 w/installation. It's a passive alarm with an ignition cutoff which comes with a remote control which turns the alarm on/off and opens/locks the doors.

The last time I bought a new car (a 1992 Mazda 626) I had the dealer install the alarm (also for $595) and I'm pretty sure the alarm I have now is virutally identical to the one I had in the Mazda.

BTW, that alarm more than paid for itself and saved that Mazda in the first week I owned it. Some amateur tried to swipe it when it had just 125 miles on it and was scared away by the alarm. Alarms are good at scaring away vandals and joyriders, but are practically useless if a professional really wants to heist your car. That's why I'm looking into getting a Ravelco installed. It's a fancy industrial-strength cutoff switch that supposedly has never been defeated. It's $400 in my area but might be worth the investment.
    Anyone here have GEICO insurance? I of course turned down the dealer's offer of a 6-year extended warranty (wanted $1800 for a new car that's already under warranty for three years!!! what a ripoff).

But when I insured the car I found out that GEICO offers a bumper-to-bumper warranty on new cars. They sell it by the year. First year for a Camry is something like $70 and then it goes up around $30 a year after that, (which equals about $870 over six years and you don't have to pay it up front). You can drop it any time you like but can only add it on new cars. And I think GEICO cuts you off after the 7th year.

Anyway, I went for it. It's bumper-to-bumper minus usual wear-and-tear items (brakes and tires) with a $250 deductible for as long as I keep carrying it. I was just curious if anyone else knew about this or had tried it or had any experiences with it? Thanks.

http://www.geico.com/auto/mbi.htm

(Can you tell I'm kind of bored at work today?)
  • qheqhe Member Posts: 4
    I got the $19800 OTD price in Louisville, Ky. He said that the price for basic 2005 Camry is minimum $18000 with no option. Plus $1080 for Tax, another $720 for destination fee, title and plate fees. Is this price reasonable? please comments.
    Thank you for your kind reply.
  • fl101fl101 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks. Just get a Honda.
    Does Camry has 2004 Standard? I only know that 2004 models for Camry are LE,SE,XLE and Limited Edition. Camry has 2005 Standard according to Edmunds.com.
  • brentefbrentef Member Posts: 2
    Paid for 2004, LE, with anti lock brakes, mats and cargo net with 1K manufacturer rebate $17,000.00 PLUS STAX AND TAGS
  • brentefbrentef Member Posts: 2
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    This coverage is a joke! A $250 deductible and you still pay almost $900 over the life of the warranty. A Toyota is one of the most reliable cars made. You already have a 3 year/36K mile bumper to bumper & 5 year/60k powertrain warranty that comes with the vehicle for free. As a an experienced mechanic that has owned Toyotas and Hondas for over the past 20 years, I think extended warranties are a waste of money, if you buy a proven vehicle. The odds of you needing a covered repair in 7 years or 100k are very, very slim. You have better odds of being strike by lighting. That is why car dealers & other retailers love to sell them, they are cash cows for the seller. Yes, occasionally someone actually gets their money from this warranty, but again it's very rare on a Toyota, Honda or Nissan for it to be cost effective.
      That being said, if you just can't sleep at night without worrying that your car has a very remote possibility of breaking something that is not covered between the 3-7 year mark, than buy an extended warranty. But I would only buy a factory warranty for 7 years without a deductible. You should be able to shop around and buy it from an authorized dealer for less than $1000. You don't have to buy it when you buy the car or from your dealer. Do a Google search for a good price.
  • carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    Want the best warranty for a toyota go to:
    SClifford@KJ Toyota.com
    That's cliffy's website
    Yes, there is a 2004 Standard. It has an invoice price approx. $1000 less than the LE. The difference from the LE is no remote/keyless entry, no power driver's seat, mini vs. full size spare tire, the side mirrors are black vs. color matched, and you are limited to about 3 colors (black, gray & white?).

Depending on your feeling about the limited colors, the only significant downgrade IMO is the lack of keyless entry. However, some have posted here that an alarm system/ keyless entry after-market add on is available for under $300 if you want that.
    (Repeating) The only difference between the 2004 Standard and the 2004 LE is the spare tire and the keyless entry (and yes, the colors -- it comes in black, silver, dark grey or sand). You're thinking about the 2005.

Thanks for the input on the GEICO warranty. Are you sure you feel that way? :)

I can cancel it anytime so I'll give it some thought. It's just so much more tempting to pay it when it's not all up front
  • dofranckdofranck Member Posts: 8
    slov,I'm in the process of pickup up an 05 LE for $18.2 OTD (no options). I'm in a competitive market for Camrys. This is one of the best prices I've come across after visiting a few dealers and reading the postings in this forum. I estimate the sale price at $17.1 before TTL.
    which state are you in? From which dealer did you get such a $18200 OTD quote? Thanks!
  • dofranckdofranck Member Posts: 8
    I hesitate to offer specifics not knowing if it's in violation of forum ediquite, but I'm in the Altanta market. If you check the Atlanta Journal Constitution you'll find a number of dealers offering std base Camry in the 16.3 - 16.7 range through Monday (including 1k rebate). I was fully prepared to go this route given the only differences btwn std and LE are elec seat, remote lock, and spare, but I stumbled across the LE deal and couldn't resist.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Someone at another Forum posted that Toyota of Claremont, CA is selling the 2005 LE Auto for 16,700- 500 rebate = $16,270 + tax & fees
  • mbedonombedono Member Posts: 15
    Would appreciate any info on Toyota dealerships in New Orleans area: good and bad service operations etc.

Thanks,
     Manny
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    I paid $22,461 OTD on my Camry. The options it came with were carpet floormats and cargo mat and side airbags. The sticker price was $23,609 and they gave it to me for $20,500. I traded in my 99 Corolla VE and got $5,000 for it (blue book was $5 less).
  • tomleetomlee Member Posts: 3
    I have got a quote from Big Two Toyota in Mesa, Arizona not through internet but by face to face meeting.
    2004 Camry LE w/gold package,rear spoiler, pin stripe, tint, undercoat, carpet and cargo mat.
    it is a demo car so its mileage on tachometer is 4000 miles.
    base price is $19,500+fees
    fees include
    Lic-$400
    Doc-$299
    Tax-7.8%=$1521
    subtotal : $2220

so out-the-door price is $21,720.
    is it reasonable price?
    I think it is too expensive.
    please give me some advice.
    especially are lic, doc fees reasonable too?
    I agree it's too much -- especially with 4000 demo miles. Per Edmunds pricing, the invoice + spoiler, gold package, mats and destination fee is $18,902. Since '04 models are selling with a $1,000 rebate, that brings the price to $17,902. Edmunds TMV pricing factoring in the rebate is $18,288. (I used 95501 zip but that should be close). That's for a NEW car.

With 4000 test drive miles on the car I would want a pretty good discount. The pinstriping and tinting are aftermarket items that probably cost the dealer a couple hundred bucks.

I've gotten quotes from northern Cal dealers for $18,500 + T&L for a 2005 LE automatic with no options except mats. I would pass.
  • john_fjohn_f Member Posts: 30
    Hope someone can help me. I just ordered a 2005 Camry SE V6 with most options from a dealer north of Houston TX. It should be delivered within 3-4 months.

We agreed on a price: invoice + $200. However, the dealer's invoice was higher than that listed at Edmunds. The salesman told me that they had to pay additional costs to the local distributor (Gulf Coast Toyota). These were clearly listed on the Invoice Printout and included things like: advertising charges, finance reserv, ... (M.A.F.: $325; T.D.A.: $274; Finance Reserve: $236; something else: $58.)

Although I was disappointed, I still ordered the car, although I can call back and cancel (no down payment). I still think its a fair deal (SE V6; VSC/side airbags; SE Premium pckg; heated seats; power pedals; mirror upgrade; 5 piece mats for $25,465 (including $200 above invoice; $27,293 OTD.

Is the dealer ripping me off on these additional costs or dealing straight? Thanks!!
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I've heard of advertising charges, but almost $900 sounds really high.
    Why don't you price the car on Carsdirect.com with same options and see how it compares to your total price?
    Their prices include any regional advertising charges etc. provided you enter the correct zip code.
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    I bought a new Camry three months ago. They asked if I wanted to buy prepaid maintenance but I declined it. I think a lot of car shops, even dealerships are not trustworthy. That's why I'm having my friend who's an experienced mechanic do the maintenance on my car. My ex-boss who brought her car to the Honda dealership for oil change found out later on that they didn't change the oil filter. I told the Toyota salesman about this and he said dealerships are different. They probably are, but customers don't know if they really did their job. People pay for services and expect them to be done.
    I dealt with Tempe Toyota today.

Model No. 2425A
    MSRP $21,140(19975+650+515)
    TMV $19,032(with 500 incentives and rebate)

base price $19,302+fees
    Lic $345.45
    Doc $299
    Tax 8.1%(Tempe)-1563.46

OTD is $21,509 w/1.9% finacing for 36 months.

but, today I've got a quote from Camelback Toyota. it's $400 below the OTD price of mine.
    so its OTD in Camelback is $21,109
    T.T um...
    I lost chance but you guys might win!!
    Thank you!!
    I didn't accept that.
    I appreciate your reply sincerely.
    It's a quite hard job for me.
    I wish everybody would get a goal easily.
    Good luck!!
  • chernchern Member Posts: 4
    After getting sick of dealing with Washington
    state Toyota dealers I went to Southern California where I have some family and purchased Camry LE 2005 phantom pearl grey (AT, floor and trunk mats) for @$17,200 + $45 doc fee +$15 trip permit+ tax and -$500 rebate. Woohoo ! Paid cash, no trade-in. Not a very common price even for California. If you are in Florida similar deals do exist.

Good car and good ride. Really prefer the redesigned front grill. Gas mileage was @30mpg driving on I-5 from Southern Cal to Seattle.

Cheers
  • aristotlearistotle Member Posts: 123
    Has anyone bought a 2005 LE V6? If so, can you share any info on how much we can expect to pay for this?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am in Colorado but would be interested in knowing the price for the above vehicle anywhere.
  • 21deran21deran Member Posts: 1
    If you feel it is a fair deal, what else really matters? There will always be a better deal somewhere but if you feel you were treated fairly, just get the process over with and enjoy your new car.
  • kamalashkamalash Member Posts: 2
    please advice
    Bought 2004 camry LE/AT/V4 with mats & JBL stereo option. Paid $ 19302 plus tax/title.Got 0% financing. When the car got to the dealership in Danville/IL it had 462 miles. Dealer told me that he had to bring this car from wisconson.He told me that this is not a Demo Car
    Questions
    Did I pay the right price?
    How to find out that this is not a Demo Car?
  • bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    You could have easily bought an 05 LE Camry automatic for under $20,000 almost anywhere, so yes you paid to much. Your car probably had a lot of people test drive it and they probably did pick it up from a dealer far away. I would have expected to pay 18,000 or less for the car you bought, buy it's your car now, so just enjoy it. No, you can't find out if it was a demo. A salesman may have been driving it a little. Only if a car is titled is it considered a used car. Cars can have a couple of thousand miles on them and still be called new.
    the price is a little high but you received 0% financing so you will save a lot here, making up for it.
    I paid 50% cash for my purchase but still will pay $1100 in interest over the 3 years.
  • kamalashkamalash Member Posts: 2
    Thanks fo r your reply
    I was looking for 0% financing which was not available on 2005 camry.When I checked the TMV pricing it was listed as 19480.
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    I am just about to start getting quotes for an XLE V6 without navigation in northern NJ. Has anyone made such a purchase recently?

A few years ago, when I bought my Sienna, I had a relatively pleasant experience at Hudson Toyota in Jersey City - I did all the negotiations by email and had a relatively hassle free purchase process. I simply paid invoice and there were absolutely no extra charges.

I have seen from postings on this topic that some people (katherinenj) have had a bad experience there recently however. Perhaps its easier when starts with Internet sales rather than with the floor salesman.
  • todd5todd5 Member Posts: 1
    Chem I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THIS DEAL FROM??? I am also in Southern Cal (orange county) and would drive for this deal. I would love to talk with you. Can you clarify if you paid $17200 plus the other fees noted....or did you actually get 17200 MINUS the $500 rebate = $16700 plus the tax, lic doc fee?
  • chernchern Member Posts: 4
    $500 rebate goes in effect after the taxes and fees.
    So actual price pre-tax was a little bit over $16700,
    maybe $16750 or so... didn't bother with a calculator ...
    After reading a message on this board, it looks like I could do $500 better if I drove to Claremont Toyoya ( would be a shorter drive from LA too).

You can drop me a line for details - my yahoo email address is visible in my member profile.

AA
  • katherinenjkatherinenj Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

You are absolutely correct. I spoke with the Internet Sales Manager or whatever their title is before going in... When I got there, they told me he worked for Nissan next door AND their dealership, which I thought was weird. They told me he was in the trailer, which was way in the back.. So I was like, ehh forget it, I can just deal with one of these guys. Well, big mistake. That's where I made my mistake, NOT going to see the guy who I'd been speaking to. In fact, he called me a few days later and told me I shouldve come to see him, because he knows that the pricing has to be competitive and that they cannot play games. Had I gone through him to begin with, I may have bought the car from them. Who knows! :) Im glad you had a good experience with them. They sure have a LOT of cars to choose from.
  • chiguy1chiguy1 Member Posts: 14
    Not in NJ, but in Chicago I paid $25050 plus tax, title, registration for a 2005 XLE V6 with the VSSC/airbag package, heated seats, mats, and XM installed. Good luck.
  • cutedhcutedh Member Posts: 31
    hi,
    I am interested in buying a 2005 Camry XLE with everything except for the navigation system and the spoiler. Can anyone suggest me as to what an appropriate price for this car should be? I live in CA

Thank you
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    I was able to get 24700 for an XLE with everything except the nav system (and taking into account the $500 cash back from Toyota). Probably not the best deal possible but I am impatient. This is from Parkway Toyota in Englewood Cliffs, NJ. I pick up the car on wednesday - black with oak interior.

I had seriously considered a used Lexus ES300 instead of a new Camry but none of the cars on the Lexus dealer's lot were what I wanted. Ultimately, the Camry just seemed more practical since I have two small kids.
  • mahaganie6mahaganie6 Member Posts: 3
    I saw a posting for a '97 V6 Camry LE in MD for $4950. The car has 140k on it, recently had a Lexus engine installed, leather interior and alleged recent inspection. A 5 month warranty will be issued and it covers the engine as well.

I've read mixed reviews on the Camry. Suspension and engine issues seem to come up alot with owners. I heard the car can go past 200k.

Is 140k too much mileage? Is the engine replacement a problem?

I live in NYC and don't plan to drive the car the average 15k per year. This is my first car, I have to park the car on the street, and I don't want to spend too much money the first time around.

Does this sound like a deal- or would I be taking a huge risk with this purchase?

Thanks for your input!!!
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Why are you even considering this? Engine transplant? For 5K you can't get much in your neck of the woods, but you should at least be able to get a car that hasn't been partly rebuilt. Check for a late '90s model Corolla. Much less risky, especially for a first purchase.
  • leon2004leon2004 Member Posts: 1
    i would like to buy a camry 2005 le , what price can i expect for that car? i appreciate your suggestion and sharing . i am living in houston, tx.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I would not buy the car because even though you can get 200k on a camry ( I have 160k on my 99),you have no idea the condition of the other engine, or if it was installed properly. Try for something else with the original engine. good luck.