Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    A reporter is interested in talking with someone who has bought a car, or intends to buy one in November 2011. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 18, 2011 and include your contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I am in Columbus, Ohio. Please let me know the dealership name and his name. thanks.
  • I got one with the same packages for OTD $27350, tax/fees included (7.75% in CA). So your price is not great.
  • ortolanortolan Posts: 12
    edited November 2011
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and also looking into purchasing my first Toyota, particularly a 2012 Camry Hybrid LE. I've been shopping diligently for several weeks now and no dealer seems to have any 2012 Camry Hybrid LE's in stock, a few dealers have been slowly getting XLE's, which are completely optioned out, way more than I want to spend.

I've sent about 30 e-mails out asking for quotes to various dealers and most of them said they would be selling way too good to offer less than MSRP, I thought that this sounded a little absurd. But last last night I was contacted by a dealing saying that they have a Silver 2012 Camry Hybrid LE income in soon, bone stock which is the one I'm looking for.

He offered it to me for $25,422.00. Is this a good price? He said it is about $300 over invoice, which includes destination fees etc. Out the door for me would be $27,147.19, which includes tax, and license fees.

Please help as I really want to get the car and I need to replace my car very soon, but I don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks for any input!
  • Sounds a little high. Base options are Invoice at $24,589. MSRP is $26,660. It's not a terrible price but I bet you can do better.
  • Where would I find an accurate invoice price because I've look on the internet and different places seem to post different numbers, which makes it confusing. Also, what do you think would be a good price to shoot for before tax, title and registration.

Thanks!
  • some dealers try to use rebates to cover some discounts, the same thing happened to me when I bought my camry 6 months ago. I paid 1k more because the dealer played the same trick. But, I only balme myself for not being carful when I signed the paper. 1k should not make you sad enjoy your car. :)
  • Do you know if there is a $1000 cash certificate for the 2012 Camry Hybrid LE?

Thanks!
  • Can you please share where in CA you got this deal.

I am in Bay area and looking for a good deal on XLE.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,703
    What kind of trick? I must've missed something here!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Hey , congratulations on your new vehicle, I just bought a 2012 Camry XLE, and I wanted to make sure that what the salesman told me, as I have some doubts, is your floor-mat color matches the interior color ( or they all come in black as he claimed),, mine has a beige interior, and I have seen the salesman taking the floor-matts from a black interior Camry in the showroom and that what got me suspicious..

I would really appreciate your answer with all respect to your time and effort..

thank you
  • Nope , Only All weather mats comes in black. I got floor mats which matches my interior (ivory)...catch his neck tomorrow :)
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    The ones that match look good, but they don't last long and they don't do a good job protecting carpet and keeping it clean. Get some Weathertech mats - they are great in my 2010.
  • That is not too bad of a price. I've received quotes ranging from $25,312 to $25,660. Keep in mind that price is a function of supply/demand. Supply is practicaly nil, so the bargins won't exist. And if you wait until summer when gas prices increase, demand will pick up and therefore price will too.

The best you can do is get multiple bids...most likely they will be fairly similiar so it is what it is.
    edited November 2011
    Monty_Burns,

I was able to negotiate one more time and got another $500.00 off. So my price for a Silver 2012 Camry Hybrid LE will be $24,922 before tax, title, and registration. The LE's are very hard to find right now. It took me a month to secure this one. It's either going to be or on it's way via a cargo vessel. I hope to get it around Dec. 12. I also received a good quote on an Hybrid XLE, but it was more money than we wanted to spend and on paper Hybrid XLE gets 3 less mpg city and 1 mpg less hwy on paper. Also, I calculated each tire change to be about $200-$250 more per set for the 17" tires on the XLE for the brand of tires I always purchase.

I was originally dead-set on a Prius, then a Prius v, but ultimately settled on the Camry Hybrid for the driveability. I test drove both the Prius and the Prius v last week. The Prius was nice but a little smaller than I'm used to and the v was very roomy, with a better sitting position, which is slightly higher, but it's way under powered in my opinion. I know Prii are cars that are mainly built for mpg but merging on the hwy in the v under full throttle was a little scary, you definitely have to plan your merger in heavy traffic. There were only 2 people in the car at the time and I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with 4 people and the car full of gear.

Again, I'm not saying that the v is all bad, it's a great addition to the standard Prius with many improvements, but it's just not for me. The 2012 Camry Hybrid's are supposed to do 0-60 in the low 7's, which is pretty impressive for a 4 cylinder, it's supposed to drive very much like a V6, but delivery 40+ mpg! I'm basically giving up a little gas mileage compared to the standard Prius, (not the v) for driveability.

Looking forward to getting my LE for sure!
  • 3camry,

what was the msrp and invoice prices for the 2012 SE that you paid 20,300 + TTL+doc fee?
  • Hi all, I just bought a 2012 Camry SE 4 Cylinder for $23898.00 + Tax. The car has Nav/Sunroof/Entune/Cargo Net/and Floor Mats. I just wanted to know if you think this is a fair price? The MSRP was over $26000. Also, I bought the Platinum Warranty (100k, 6 Years, 0 Deductible) for $1399. I think it's a good deal, but I would appreciate any feedback if a better deal can be made. Thanks.

P.s. the car was bought in California.
  • Car it's good price.. You have room to negotiate.. may be you can get him down by another 2-300.. Regarding Platinum Warranty you over paid it.. search online you will get it for around $700 bucks..
  • It is Toyota West. His name was Chad Sothard.
  • Thanks for your advice. I was thinking the warranty was a bit high. I think I'll just cancel that since I have 60 days to do so.
  • bigbutrbigbutr Posts: 111
    So my wife has decided on a loaded XLE instead of a Prius IV. I priced one out on Truecar and one of the dealers listed showed a price of $27350 on a MSRP of $31250. It has convenience, leather, blind spot, safety connect and JBL/Nav system.
    I actually spoke to someone at that dealership and asked them how they are $1500 less than the other two dealers prices listed and they just said they sell more so they can discount more.
    I'm a little leery since invoice is shown at $28656 and can't believe a relatively new car on the market could sell at that price since I don't see any incentives. :confuse:
    I was thinking of offering $28500, but now not so sure since I don't want to pay more than I need to.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
  • We are looking for same car in central NJ. Spoke with a dealer on Friday and he of course said what will it take etc..................... I told him $27k and he looked at us like we had two heads. After reading several posts, it looks like I wasn't that far off. I think a good offer would be $27,500. Considering there are many dealers, that price is close to doable.
  • I'm interested in a XLE Hybird with Leather, convenience package (moonroof), and basic entune package. MSRP says 31,980. Got a quote of 30,000. Invoice for the car is 29,891 and dealer cost according to truecar is 29,350.

Basically - my question is this - can you get lower than invoice? I doubt it on the hybrid, but wanted to hear some opinions.
    edited November 2011
    knight_ru,

In my search, the best I was able to get was $700.00 UNDER invoice, but your mileage will vary. I imagine that in different parts of the county there are higher demands than others. Invoice for any 2012 Camry Hybrid is a decent price right now. Anything lower is a bonus IMHO, most stealers oops~ I meant dealers have a stance that if one doesn't purchase at their asking price that someone else will.

I personally believe that once the 2012 Camry Hybrids updates, particularly the big increase in MPG become widely publicized to average Joe's looking @ Prii and other hybrids they will be much harder to come by. This was my case, I never really considered the Camry Hybrid even though I knew about it. The new figures for 43 MPG city for a mid-size sedan, and 0-60 low 7 seconds is nothing to sneeze at. You could wait until summer, but as one poster said earlier to me, gas prices will most likely be higher, which will increase demand and drive up selling prices.

The XLE Hybrid was really appealing to me, but I'm purchasing a hybrid based mostly on gas savings since we drive about 100 miles-a-day and I can't justify the extra cost even though the options are a good value for the money. The extra cost of an XLE would increase our pay back ratio (the time it would take for us to recoup the extra cost spent on a hybrid vs. non-hybrid). Also, I keep my vehicles for a very long time, my last car was a 97 Maxima put 206k on it before selling it. I also worry about the long-reliability of the extra electronics on the higher-end models. I know that's what warranties are for but warranties don't cover the time you spend taking the car into to the dealership when problems arise and reliability is very high on list when making purchasing decisions.

Do keep in mind that the XLE has 17" tires so it does get 3 miles less city and 1 miles less hwy mpg. 17" tires will generally perform better on dry pavement compared to 16". I try to factor in total operating costs when I purchase a vehicle and replacement tires will be about $30 - $40 more for each tire when it comes time to replace them compared to 16" tires. I don't know your financial situation and if you don't care about these things the XLE Hybrid is a really nice ride! I do wish they had a cheap 16" alloy wheel option for the Hybrid LE but they don't. That's about my only gripe about the LE.

Good luck on your search!
  • Bda76, could you please share which dealer this is from? Also, did the dealer provide you with any Camry incentives? TIA!
  • Hi, the dealer is John Elway Crown Toyota in Ontario, CA. I was offered a college grad incentive, but that fell through; so no incentives. Also, I was quoted a price of $23,500 drive out for the base SE, but decided to upgrade for sunroof and navigation.

Somethings I learned:

- It's best to deal with internet team or fleet manager, avoid lot salesmen.
    - If you get a quote via phone, it's best to ask for it in writing. Tell the guy to email it (If he doesn't, he lied about the price). You can then use this price to get lower offers from other dealers.
    - The best quote I received for the base SE was $22,610 drive out from a dealer in Corona.
    - I had a bad experience at Longo, maybe it was just the salesmen (Heecher Yoon), but I would not deal with them.
    - Manhattan Beach Toyota seems nice and matched prices, but didn't have the color I wanted. Same for Puente Hills.
    - In California you have 60 days to return the warranty if you realize you overpaid (I did and am returning it).
    - Last one, but very important. Do not get fooled into buying the warranty or extra crap because you are told that Toyota Bank will not finance you otherwise. I was offered a deal at Hollywood Toyota, which included a crazy $3000 extended warranty and GAP insurance they told me I must get. Screw them!!

Still Questioning:

- Some dealers would not budge on destination charges, while others said it was already included in the invoice price. If somebody has a definite answer please let me know. Thanks.
  • se_riouslyse_riously Posts: 89
    edited November 2011
    The destination charge is shown on the invoice, and I've never seen any dealer (truly) budge on them.

Note "truly", because whenever a dealer "budges" on anything, they're making it up someplace else. They do have to make money to stay in business. It is, however, your job to make sure that they make as little as possible (but still workable for them) off of you. That's why you should solicit as many quotes as possible from different dealers, because some move more vehicles than others. They have sales targets, manufacturer to dealer incentives, etc. so some dealers can cut closer to the bone than others and still come out on top.
  • THANK YOU for your detailed answer!

I'm actually looking for the exact same configurations on the SE and was hoping to get in on the $1000 college grad + the $1000 Camry certificates (which is now all gone). So far the best I've been quoted is $23,890 w/o any incentives or rebates. The dealer is willing to give me $400 for being a college grad, but isn't it a standard $1,000? Also, he's willing to give me 0% financing.

Please let me know how I can do better! Thank you!!
  • I think the price your getting is good for the Camry. It's lower than what I got and you still haven't added any incentives. As for the college grad rebate, I think it's a standard $1000, but I'm not sure. I would check on Toyota.com or ask the dealer to see the college grad paperwork. Goodluck!