Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• azilegirlazilegirl Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    We just bought a Camry hybrid XLE fully loaded and then some. We started by getting Internet quotes from various dealers (Atlanta area) and found that there were only 3 XLE's with nav available in all of GA. All the dealers quoted us invoice price- $34,600 MSRP for $32,400 plus delivery costs and tax and no one would budge much on that price because they're not plentiful right now. But one dealer had a custom ordered one which had many more bells and whistles than a standard fully loaded XLE (spoiler, tires, tinting, body molding and more) where the person ordering it decided it wasn't the color he wanted and asked them to order another in a different color. I think the dealer was afraid they wouldn't be able to get rid of it easily so they sold it to us out the door for $33,100 plus tax and they covered the first month's payment. ($36,600 sticker) And, because it was the last day of the month, they really wanted to get rid of it.
    End of month is always the best time to haggle with dealers. All the other dealers are either waiting for their next shipment (we were told they'd be in by January) and some were willing to transport one from another dealer for an extra delivery fee. It seems to get a hybrid right now in this region, because of limited stock, invoice is a decent deal.
  • azilegirl,

Congratulations on your XLE Hybrid! I think you got a great deal on the loaded one that the other customer canceled. Curious what kind of MPG you're getting it so far?
  • azilegirlazilegirl Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ortolan! We're enjoying it a great deal. It's my husband's commuter car and he's a lead footed driver. That being said, he tried driving it very carefully and was able to drive from work to home one afternoon averaging 43.6 mpg. It's a 30 mile trip with about 60% freeway and 40% high speed surface streets. The next day he had to get home fast and drove it aggressively and got 36.2mpg for the trip. Overall average, if he's not being too careful but not driving as if he's on a track, he's been getting between 39 to 40mpg. Tonight he drove from a local burger joint home, about a 2 mile trip and did most of it on battery and got 93.4mpg. That includes some pretty decent hills in our neighborhood.
    Overall he's super happy with the performance and mpg he's been getting.
  • ortolanortolan Posts: 12
    edited December 2011
    azilegirl,

Sounds like the 2012 Camry Hybrid is a winner! Mine is on the way and should be at the dealership around the middle of this month. I'm very impressed by the real world mileage that you guys are achieving consider that the Camry is a real mid-size vehicle. Our family was set on purchasing a Prius until I started reading about the new 2012 Camry Hybrid. I really liked the Prius but was never in love with it if that makes sense.

I'm used to a little bit more power and room and the Prius was too much of a departure from that. I'm sure there will be times that I will try to squeeze as many MPG out of the 2012 Camry Hybrid when I get it, but not at the expense of irritating other drivers. Mostly plan on driving it like I do a non-hybrid car, which is with the flow of traffic.

Frankly, I'm surprised there isn't more buzz about the 2012 Camry Hybrid considering it's a mid-size car that can achieve 40+ MPG. the previous 2011 Hybrid was 31 MPG City so 2012 is a huge improvement.

Please keep us posted regarding your driving experience with the new Camry Hybrid! BTW, what color did you purchase?
  • 2012 Camry LE super white, price paid $19,988 +ttl. Financed with toyota for 2.9% APR for 60 months. Located in Orange County California
  • We've had out Hybrid XLE for almost a month now... I routinely get 45-47 MPG on my 12 mile drive home from work... mixed driving, 60MPH and under. I'm not a hypermiler, but I try not to stomp in the gas pedal too much, if I can help it. We've had a few trips around our suburban neighborhood that registered up to 48 MPG. Overall, seems to me that Toyota's MPG listings on the new Camry Hybrid are def. on the conservative side. I mostly get MPGs that are higher than they have estimated. LOVE this car!
  • briguywi,

Thanks for the additional feedback on the real world MPG numbers. I'm really happy that Toyota's MPG are accurate. BTW, the 'wi" in your user name doesn't mean you're from WI does it and if so did you purchase your 2012 XLE Hybrid from Smart Toyota? I ask because when I first inquired about the 2012 Camry Hybrid one of the salesman told me that someone had gotten a fully loaded XLE, which I got to see in person but could not drive because someone had purchased it already and was picking it up the next day. It was one first one's available in the country.

That was almost 1 month ago.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Just one correction to your post "Toyota's MPG listings on the new Camry". It is the EPA that comes up with the MPG listings, not the manufacturer.
  • I am having trouble finding any hybrid xle in the Midwest that are not loaded. I am trying to find them without leather and it looks like there are plenty in the southeast coming in but none around me. Any ideas on how to get my hands on one?
  • Smeggo:

Try doing an Internet keyword search with Midwest Toyota Car Dealer
    maybe add Inventory also

This might help identify dealerships and the specific cars in their inventory

I have been using Truecar.com to get a price of $31,567 in Virginia, has anyone gotten better than that?

That's for the 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE loaded (leather ,moonroof, conven,blnd apt, safety con)

What the best price anyone has seen before tax, and other fees?

Anyone get a similar vehicle in or near Virginia?
  • I just got a Camry Hybrid XLE with convenience package and navigation with entune for invoice. I had to get my Illinois dealership to get it from Wisconsin but I finally found it. I think I did as good as could i could. The whole process took less then an hour as I made it clear that I wouldn't haggle. Nobody I talked to would go less than invoice so I feel comfortable with my decision. Does it sound like a good deal?
  • turismo29 - That seems to be a good price. Did you have any incentives? Any tips? I am getting quotes at around 21K.
  • Yesterday got 2012camry LE at $22,750 all down OTD price. Leather and 2 yr Toyota maintenance included. Hope it's a good deal. Please let me know.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    edited December 2011
    LE doesn't have leather. The dealer would have had get a third party to install aftermarket leather seat covers of some kind.

OTD price reports that include local sales tax and local DMV registration fees without separating and itemizing them out just confuse and complicate comparisons.
    It's better to list the actual sales price of the car and any added fees you paid that go to the dealership like doc fees and dealer prep fees, not local or state tax and registration fees that are real and go straight to the government.
    Also, you need to mention any trade in that was involved in the deal because that also pretty much makes your price not comparable to anyone elses. The dealers play games with trade in values and will shift dollars back and forth between value the car you trade in and the purchase price of car you buy. The trade in is always either undervalued or overvalued to make the new car sales price meet artificial dollar amounts or to make extra profit from the trade or to make sure the value assigned to it is high enough to pay off outstanding loans on the trade-in vehicle.
    Not comparable at all to anyone else reading your price quote.
  • ewkidewkid Posts: 5
    2012 Camry SE
    Sticker Prices
    MSRP:$23,000
    8-Way Power Seat: $440.00
    Wheel Locks: $67.00
    Carpet/Trunk Mats: 225.00
    Delivery: 760.00
    Dealer add-on, pin stripe, door edge guards, wheel lip molding: 345.00
    Total: 24,837.00

Actual Price: 22,337.00

I got this price easily, you go lower.
  • Anybody in the midwest got a good deal? I was quoted this price (before ttl): $21,650. Much worse than what other people are getting.

Any suggestions?
  • gofgof Posts: 2
    Here is what I paid

Silver
    Convenience package
    JBL stereo CD
    Moonroof
    All weather mats
    Leather package
    Paint protection film
    Remote engine start
    MSRP: $32,525
    Paid: $28,487
  • Here is a price i am quoted on a the 2012 SE 4 Cylinder Auto Transmission, please advise if this seems good or not possible.

$23000 car
    1789 options
    815 manufacturers delivery, processing and handling
    -----------------
    25,604 Total for car

Options in this particular vehicle are, entune system, 8 way power drivers seat, mats.

Total out the door with Florida 6% sales tax and a transferred tag

Price : $ 24,620.81 Is this good??? No trade, no incentives, they also claim no dealer fee. (I know they add somewhere though)...Thanks in advance.
  • I think that's a very good deal. I bought mine camry SE with power seat and carpet for $24,000 OTD. MSRP: 24,425. Sales show me the invoice price for $22,600 and sold it to me for $21,900 before TTL. they said they loss $700. Now, that's without any incentives.

I really don't know how your dealer can offer this much discounts. How they make money???
  • Is your paid price included TTL?
  • gofgof Posts: 2
    It does not include TTL. I also added the extended warranty. Total out the door was $32,500.
  • ncalerncaler Posts: 14
    Six days left, check out this Toyota rebate offer, http://www.toyota.com/shareathon/
    You tweet, you get $500 rebate. 10 more friends retweet, you get another $500 rebate. Up to $1000 total. There is a limited # of certificates each day.

I also saw this ads on Edmunds (give edmunds some referral credits). You need to do this:
    1. Go to edmunds.com
    2. Click on "Search New Car Inventory"
    3. Click Toyota
  • camryhybrid12camryhybrid12 Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    What I got: 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE (MSRP $27,400) with Convenience Package (MSRP $695), Entune/Nav (no JBL included, MSRP $1050) and Carpeted Floor Mats (MSRP $130) - all original installed by Toyota, adding $760 Delivery, Processing and Handling Fees for a total of MSRP $30,035

Invoice price for above car: $28,066.40, dealer holdback $583

Notes: no additional extras were imposed on me by the dealer (e.g. Etching, Pins etc. other gimmicks, no extra warranty or service agreement or any add on of any sort). Other dealers may add dealer options and services that inflate the price and their profit which they then claim of giving a large discount under their "invoice" or Dealer Posted MSRP which includes such padding. Nothing like that happened in my case.

Special Order: This car was a special order as it was without the moonroof package which is what the regional distributor (tri state region NY, CT, NJ) has decided to include in all Camry Hybrid XLE trims (you cannot get a car without a moonroof here from the dealer's lot normally).

My location: Central NJ near North Brunswick, NJ

Dealer: DCH Brunswick Toyota

Trade-in: I was not able to buy a new car for a very long time (on that see separate post/thread) and I was still the original owner of a 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix LE with 3.1L engine. The odometer stopped working (was working just few miles forward at a time) years back so what it showed (72K miles) was not the real miles. The real miles probably are over 250K miles (not bad for a 21 year old Pontiac...). The car has many problems and needed many fixes so was not worth to repair any more hence, finally I have managed to buy a new car. But the dealer allocated for such $375 as trade-in value (probably I would have donated it or sell it for few $100s to the oil change guy who always was asking me if I will sell it to him....).

What did I pay: $28584 (this is $517.60 above invoice) minus trade-in above of $375 plus $1974.63 NJ Tax plus $7.5 NJ Tire tax plus $384 registration/title (actual cost in NJ) plus $279 dealer document charges Total Out The Door price paid: $30854.13 paid in CASH.

Notes: This was a special order since in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) these models all have a moonroof package (regional distributor decision) and I did not want to have such. The dealer gave me almost $400 for my junk car that I would have given away or sell for almost nothing, saving me the trouble to sell it and deal with the paperwork (I would not post such a car on Craiglist....and get bothered with all those coming to see it...). So basically I got the car for the invoice price plus taxes and fees....And this is for a special order car (not taken from the lot/stock)! Also, while I did the special order, the dealer did not ask me for a deposit, and was waiting for me to return from an overseas trip - I found the car marked as sold even before I signed any paperwork. Also, I only provided my own personal check - no cashier's check. I will post in more details the experience and other information but this is what a long term relationship with the dealer means. I have found one after 21 years! The General Manager of the dealership has personally answered so many emails (almost 24/7 with very short time to answer... using iPhone/iPad too and late at night replies as well...) from me and acted to investigate the info and questions I have, in addition to the rest of the team, salesperson and so on, and this went on since last May - I was treated as family, as if I am the GM's brother or something like that! I had no contacts or no such previous relationship with any one at the dealership so this is amazing! While I think they did not make much money with this deal (they did make some though) they got my business and I will be looking at them to trade-in my car when the new gen of Camry comes out 5 years or so from now (and not to mention that I spread the word to help other buyers whom maybe in a similar situation as I was....). Of course this is not just the GM, everyone at the dealership is amazing and they go way over the norm to build the relationship. This is true from the salesperson (whom make just a small commission on each sale of a car, yet he offers soda from a personal fridge he has in his office - he pays for it himself though the dealership offers coffee/tea etc - , coming on a day he was supposed to be off, just to be able to deliver the car to me, and explain all its features, no hard sell at all, no negativeness, no attempts to add extra to the deal that will inflate the cost and raise their profit - none!) all the way to the general manager, and managers in between. I cannot believe this is a car dealership given the normal bad reputation car dealers have... It seems the group behind this dealership (which has many dealerships all around the USA) have very refreshing and long term view of customers' relationships and trust building - e.g check this pointer http://dchauto.com/test_drive_the_dealer.aspx to see what I mean... That is why they are so successful!

Hope this will be helpful for other buyers and if you wish to ask something do not hesitate to post or private message me. After my many years of not being able to buy a car I thought to give back to fellow car buyers and share my experience (please stay tuned for a thread I will open for such if interested, as someone has suggested to me to do in a PM, to share my thoughts, opinions and experience with this car).

Good luck to all!

Added in: I was able to grab one of those 140 daily Toyota / Twitter $1000 debit card certificate and was able to complete the steps - have submitted the claim already as I bought the car on Dec 15th 2011. I expect to get an additional $1000 off in a form of this debit card - quite a good deal I think. The total paid will then be $29854.13 out the door.
  • blk_in_sfblk_in_sf Posts: 5
    edited December 2011
    Just bought fully loaded 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE in No. California Bay Area with the following options:

Convenience Package
    Moonroof
    Leather Package
    Premium HDD Navigation, Entune, and JBL
    Blind Spot Monitor
    Safety Connect
    Floor Mats

The car is magnetic gray with gray leather. The dealership was Momentum Toyota in Fairfield, CA working with D. Schmitz in the internet dept. after using TrueCar.com

MSRP: $34705
    Cost: $31884 + TTL

Price was $2821 below MSRP with no trade in. I was also able to score one of the Toyota/Twitter $500 certificates this morning after I signed up on twitter last night.

Good luck to all.......
  • I just took delivery of essentially the same car, but with one additonal option, that being body side moldings. The selling price was $22,193. My price, out the door, including 7% GA sales tax was $24,314. I bought at Team Toyota Mall of Gerogia in Buford, GA. That price also included a $580 dealer fee. The dealer you talk about lost no money on the sale. They get money back from the manufacturer that is called a holdback.
  • My BIL bought a 2012 Camry LE Classic Silver out of the door including everything for $20,750 on December 11, 2012. The one option included is the 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat. I think all LE models have that. This is in Northern Virginia. Any body got a better deal to compare?
  • Can you post the dealership and the name of the sales person?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,371
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• saukessaukes Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    Well, I paid $200 over invoice. I live in the Rapid City, SD area. Any reputable dealer will give you that price. If you have a trade in, then they might get you at that end. Watch what they charge for dealer doc prep fee, anything more than $100 is too much. If there is a mark up fee for your area that the dealer charges, you can even get that down. I bought mine 11/11/11, and got 2 - $250 certificates from the dealer. They don't advertise these but they may still have some. Military discount only applies if you use Toyota for financing. I got the 2012 Camry XLE, the sticker price with dealer add on's etc wa $26,700 and I paid $23672 (that only includes the 2 - $250 rebates. Then the military discount I got it for about $23172. I paid my 3% excise tax and title fee of $58 seperate. The dealer charged me $100 doc prep fee. I had a trade in of $3000. Do your homework! Search the internet from different dealers in your area and out of your area. Once I had all my information and knew what other dealers would do, I went to my local dealer and got a great deal. If you can spend the $2,000 more I would get the XLE model, you get so much more for you money. I think I got a great deal. I did get the fabric protection for peace of mind. In the end I got exactly what I wanted and the car I wanted. I hope I did good. At the time there wasn't any twitter / coupon stuff. I did sign up for the Ipad2 offer that was going on.

Good Luck!
  • alleycat10alleycat10 Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    I got this same base SE, in silver color, optioned the same except for body side moldings instead of the dealer-installed option package you cite. My price was $22,193 plus tax, registration and lemon law fee. The power seat option is worth the extra money as the option includes more than just the power mechanism. Your first deal looks about the same as the one I got. I found this model in very short supply in the Atlanta area, particularly in lighter colored cars. The SEs available are mostly either base models with no or few options or are optioned out beyond what I am willing to pay, so went for it at this price. My eighteen year old car was on its last leg, so I needed a replacement, pronto.