Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi cmstea00:

You should be able to purchase the Camry for about 10% off MSRP! ----- At the end of a model year, I have seen advertised deals as low as 15% of MSRP! Remember, when you negotiate you are dealing with three separate deals. The selling price of the new vehicle, ---- the value of the trade, and the cost of the Toyota extended warranty. (YES, the selling price of the extended warranty is negotiable! I always put a "top of the line" manufacturer's extended warranty on my vehicles for the maximum number of years, and the maximum mileage! WITH A 100,000 MILE WARRANTY I AM DRIVING ON THEIR DIME!) You should negotiate each ITEM separately! Dealers like to dump everything into one pot!
    Best regards. ---------- Dwayne :shades: ;) :)
  • cmstea00cmstea00 Posts: 2
    Thanks Dwayne. I'm looking to pay substantially less than 15% off of MSRP after factoring in trade in value and the cost of TTL. Assuming the MSRP is 31.4k, i'm looking at 33% off MSRP.

At 15% off MSRP the purchase price would be 28, 260. Less 3500 for trade in and 1000 for the grad bonus i'm right back to $23,750 or so, which was what I had planned on offering.

Does this sound right?
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Posts: 283
    Toyota of Orange in SoCal has good prices, but I would have to take the "The Best Deal Anywhere in CA" claim back as Maita Toyota in Northern CA is selling Camry's for cheaper as of right now. Thanks.
  • coches1coches1 Posts: 104
    Dwayne,

I am hopeful a forum member is a current sales person to tell
    us the advantage in negotiating MSRP vs. INVOICE. Actually,
    maybe best strategy is to request a net price for the vehicle.
    For example, Camry LE with driver power seats and mats.

In this manner we have illimminated MSRP and INVOICE and
    go directly to the cash price of the vehicle. This is easy and directly
    to the point. The MSRP and INVOICE are meaningless.

I believe the best way to handle the trade is after you agree on the
    purchase price. It keeps things clean and seperate.

WIth regards to extended warranty, why not keep the $1,000.00
    in your pocket, change the oil every 5k and gamble on the quality
    of the product.

Thank you Dwayne for bringing this to the table. I am sure we
    will hear some war stories from a car salesperson.

coches1
    mazda6dude,

Thank you for your response about MAITE TOYOTA and
    TOYOTA of ORANGE. I called Maite and received a quote
    much less than So. Ca. dealers. The salesperson gave
    me a quote immediately. Your response give me confidence
    about the reliability of selling at this price.

thanks
    coches1
  • rhizzleboprhizzlebop Posts: 12
    I am working on a deal for a Hybrid Camry XLE.
    MSRP is 35,360+dealer fees+tag, +title+ sales tax ($300 fixed)

I'm being quoted right now a best of 32,590 Tax, Tag, Title, Done OTD, but with the wrong color leather interior.

Another dealer who is closer is quoting me 33,200 Tax tag title OTD (32,000+700 dealer fee +190 tag +300 in sales tax. He is quoting the exact car I want, and is getting a fresh redirected one in next month.

I believe the 32590 OTD is a good deal. I want a specific exterior color as well and there are VERY few of them out there it seems.

I'm hoping to get the other deal down to around 32,200 +tax (300) and then I think I've scored a great deal.

Agree? or no?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,018
    I know this is a prices paid forum, but how come you are going with the XLE Hybrid as opposed to a 4 cyl XLE? What on god's green earth is the $700 dealer fee? Extra profit?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

My caclulations say the Hybrid value payback is well in the good range.

As for the 700. It IS just profit. I mention it just to be clear, but my concern is truely in OTD price. I dont care if they reduce he car another 700 and add the 700 fee as long as the OTD is good.

I think I should be able to get about 32,200 OTD +my state sales tax (32,500).

Invoice on this car is around 33,100.

To me that sounds like cost to the dealer should be about 31,900. (about 1200 under invoice).
    If they bring this one straight in and sell it to be they get the entire holdback (about $950).
    So, selling it to be at 32,200 should mean they still made about 1200 bucks (31900-950=cost of 30950 +180 tag fee , sell for 32200=profit to the dealer of `$1000.

That to me sounds like a pretty good deal if I can get it there. Or are my "cost" estimates way off?
  • ocbmwocbmw Posts: 31
    edited June 2012
    I am curious how over time gas cost would make up for Hybrid premium. care to share your numbers?
    We own BMW, Camry and Accord. Nothing is compared to BMW driving experience, If I were willing to pay 33K for a car, that would not be definitely a Camry.
    BTW, I think dealers make much more than that. I got my 2012 Camry for $2000 below invoice (plus TTL) and dealer still makes money. I am really curious to know how much dealers pay Toyota.
    Anytime! Glad to be of help! Its a great car!
    Well, what would you be buying for 33k?
    I would not buy a used BMW?
    I would not want the maintenance of a BMW or Mercedes.

I calculated that the Hybrid costs about 3500 more than the standard car with the same features.
    I did this calculation.
    150K miles, divided by 44 mpg (yes above the rated, but indications are this is an achievable average MPG) * $4 (I estimate that as an average gas price over the 7 year span to reach the 150K miles.

I then figured the standard car at 150K miles, divided by 28 which i think is an average for the gas car considering around town and highway, * $4.

The savings over that span is about 7800 dollars.
    The cost difference of the car is about 3500.

Then, on top of that, I believe the CVT transmission will be more reliable, the engine will experience less strain than the 4cyl.
    Also, once its paid for, I'll enjoy for a longer time that 40+ MPG.

I do not anticipate a hybrid battery issue as I feel they real world data says they are VERY reliable.

Additionally, the hybrid is actually quieter and smoother than the gas only car.

This is my calculation.

On top of all of that, there is a fun factor to the game of trying to get the mpg as high as possible.
    Additionally, I just got an email from another dealer who quoted me a few days ago, saying that just today Toyota released another 500 incentive for the end of June sales, so my goal at this moment is to try to squeeze down about 32K even OTD for this one.
    I'm also gonna do the 0% for 4 years financing.

To any who see this, what would you buy for 32K?
    Mazda6dude

You seem to have a lot of knowledge regarding the car
    business. When can we expect the SUMMER FACTORY CASH INCENTIVES
    from Toyota. I want to buy now but $500-1500 less would be better.

Thanks again for helpful Information.
  • tavibenbentavibenben Posts: 8
    edited June 2012
    I called a dealer and he told me the 500 incentive does not apply to the camry, but he mentioned the APR will be 1.9% starting tmrrw. How to get the 0APR? Anyone get more information?
    I confirmed again that the Camry had the 500 incentive from that dealer and that it was a factory incentive. Thy responded quickly with an affirmative yes.
    As for the 1.9 %. That dealer you spoke with seems a bit out of touch because you can get 0% up to 48 months and 1.9 for 5 years That has been n effect since June 5 th and runs through July 9th. You can see that right now on southeasttoyota . Com. I'd say it'll prob be extended but can't say for sure right now. I cannot however confirm the 500 off on toyotas website but this one dealer is assuring me its on and he will honor it.
  • Thanks! I was able to see the 0 APR on Southeast.buytoyota.com. But it says "All offers require approved credit through Southeast Toyota Finance", how does this work? How can I get the dealer agree on this APR? Thanks again.
  • nthbostonnthboston Posts: 3
    Ira Toyota of Tewksbury. If you send me an email, I can get you more information.
    ben, I dunno if the 0 percent is regional around the country but it's def in the south east. All one needs to do is apply using Toyota credit financing inside the dealership and based on your credit worthiness you are either approved or disapproved for it. Now if it's regional and you are in a region of the USA who does not have it right now then there is nothing y can do to get it. But I thought financing offers were nation wide

Anyone been able to confirm the 500 off?

Anyone care to comment on why 32k for a hybrid Camry loaded up seems like a poor decicsion? I Am genuinely curious to see the reasoning in the valuation. Maybe I missed something that I should consider. I'd appreciate feedback and comments as I am close to making a purchase.
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    Toyota APR promos vary by region so check your region (just go to buyatoyota.com and it'll show offers in your region) -- sometimes they'll have national promos that apply to all regions
    Southeast region shows 0% for 36/48, 1.9% for 60 months on the Camry
    Chicago region shows 1.9% for 36/48/60 months

First get car quotes from different dealers to see who has the lowest price (their online sales dept will generally give better deals so go through each dealer's website) and then fill out a credit application at the dealer you plan on buying from

The only way to know if you qualify for the promo APR is to have them run your credit. If you only want to buy the car based on the promo interest rate then agree on a price by email (price of the car and total OTD) then go to the dealer and tell them you're fine with the price, but you'll only buy it if you can get the promo financing. Since you alrdy know the total OTD price on the car, tell them how much you're willing to put down, loan term you want (36/48/60) and have them run your credit to see what rate you qualify for (do not sign any papers except the credit app so if you're not happy with the rate then you can just walk out). Once they run your credit they'll come back with a monthly amount, but ask them specifically for the APR you qualified for and from which bank (promo rates are from Toyota Financing so thats the bank you're looking for)
  • Thanks for the information. I checked my area on buyatoyota.com, seems no 0 APR offer. I'll check with the dealer to see if they can do it. But weird enough, there should be something going on since the dealer told me yesterday saying there'll be new APR of 1.9% starting 6/28, if that's the case for 60 month, I hope they also have 0 for 36/48 months.
  • jatanjatan Posts: 92
    Its your money so buy whatever you want with it -- I would never spend $32k on a Camry b/c at the end of the day its still a Camry and most people buy Camrys for low to mid $20's so spending $30k+ on it doesn't seem worth it to me, but that's just me. Another thing is that I wouldn't buy a hybrid just b/c I have to pay thousands of dollars upfront and then wait 4-7 yrs to break even before I notice the savings, but then again thats just me and the way I think =P If the break even point is closer to 3 yrs then I would go for it, but waiting 4-7 yrs isn't worth it to me

Another thing I see is people who live in the suburbs buying hybrids which is a waste since most of their driving is "highway-like" so regular gas cars would get decent mileage in that type of driving anyways -- it'll take them so many yrs to recover the extra money they spent up front for the hybrid that its not even worth it

If you live in or near a major city and do a lot of city driving or rush hour commuting where you're stuck in traffic then the hybrid will be worth it since city driving is the main benefit of hybrids and you'll recover the extra money you spent on the car faster

My friend used his brother's Prius for a few months for commuting to work in rush hour Chicago traffic and he was averaging 50 MPG, but in a regular gas car he was getting about 25 MPG so for him a hybrid would be worth it

Camry gas: 25 city/35 hwy/28 combined
    Camry hybrid: 40 city/38 hwy/40 combined

I was looking at your calculations above -- the gas Camry combined avg is 28 and the hybrid is 40 so why use above avg of 44 for the hybrid but only use the avg of 28 for the gas model? If you're expecting to change your driving habits to get 44 in the hybrid then why not do the same with the gas model for 30-32 MPG?

If you plan on driving 150k mi in 7 yrs then thats about 21k mi/yr so:
    1) Are you sure you'll be driving 21k mi/yr for the next 7 yrs? What if your driving situation changes and you only drive 10k-15k mi/yr
    2) If you are driving 21k mi/yr then most of your driving will be highway or highway-like so your MPG should be 30-35 on the gas model depending on how much highway driving you do so your gas savings will be less
  • Too bad, the dealer told me they do not have the 500 factory incentive. Maybe I should wait for a couple of days? Hope they'll have something special for the 7/4.
  • ocbmwocbmw Posts: 31
    Toyota knows that people by default ASSUME Toyota has a better incentives and pricing for major holidays. That could be the reason they might not offer any more incentives for major holidays. Just something to think about.
    Hello jandjfishing

Back in April you stated you were looking for a LE with driver power seats and mats. What was the sales price without TTL you paid and what dealer.

thanks

coches1
  • hp2009hp2009 Posts: 65
    i talked to honda dealer...accord coming up in sep 2012 ....with all standard feature with nice interi (new crv with back camera,blue tooth...)mpg around 38....now altima came with mpg 38(hwy)...

so toyota doesnot have much options in few months to get ride off camry with zero apr....since toyota quality doesnot always meet with honda or nissan.....

i would wait to buy camry.....need more comparision

thanks
    hp
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    "....since toyota quality doesnot always meet with honda or nissan..... "

Source for this statement?
    I based my MPG off of the values I did because of 2 reasons.
    1. I've never seen a gas powered car that beat its EPA numbers.
    Every toyota hybrid I know of exceeds its EPA ratings in real world driving.

To the poster directly above, not sure why you would say Toyota doesn't have the same quality as Honda or Nissan. I'd say they are better, except with more affordable parts than Honda, and better fit and finish than nissan.
  • hp2009hp2009 Posts: 65
    goes to consu report or motor trend.....their review said .....new camry,prius v or sienna.....all they said in their review...cheap....looking seat ,plastic.......

toyota use..cheap seat...cheap plastic......i have toyota in past but now quality is poor.....

honda or nissan...always have one plus quality in their vehicle with better seat ,hard plastic and honda always win in highest resale value...why ?there are reason behind it....

i see more honda vehicle as luxury vehicle.....

toyota everyday use vehicle....luxury doesnot feel ...

when u visit in person ...all these three brand in row...then people can tell which company has better quality than others......

thanks
    hp
    With the new 2013 Altima just hitting dealer lots and the 2013 Accord and Fusion will do the same in a couple of months, I would guess Toyota will definitely have either rebates and/or special financing in August or September on 2012 Camry's.

The one thing going right now that is great, is the $750 edmunds rebate. What model are you looking for?

If you are looking for a new base 4 cylinder SE, I say buy it. Factoring in the $750 rebate from edmunds and the sale prices I have seen on them, you can get one for about $19,900 or a little lower before TTL in Northern CA.
  • I have owned Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans, currently have a 2005 Accord EXL 6 cylinder and a 2012 Toyota Se 4 cylinder. Love my 05 Accord, but comparing the 2012 Toyota SE and the 2012 Accord, Toyota is much better hands down, regardless of what they say abotu Toyota cheapening. Honda has gotten way cheap and do not even have some of the common options.......Disagree with the above!!!