Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Camry Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    Well, some people prefer those unviseral mats from W-Mart or Target. But I like the all-weather mats (4 pieces) are from Toyota. My dealer (Parts dept) showed me a list of Toyota accessories. They come in gray and oak. This costs me over $100 at my dealer. Then I surfed the internet and found this www.camelbacktoyota parts.com for $65 plus shipping. They are located in AZ. Check you local dealers to see if they can come close with this price. These mats are custom made for each Toyota vehicle with no cutting required.
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    Thanks for your input. Just curious. do dealers use a different KBB web site? I get 18625 with my options.
  • 1200mk1200mk Member Posts: 14
    Well after losts of bargaining and dealers shopping all over. I paid approx $20,000 for the car.

The standard options were floor mats, moonroof, first aid kit, cargo net, and dealer installed alarm.

The out-the-door price was $21800, that is with taxes and licensing, etc.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    I am sure mack just used a no optioned v6 HL. He has no idea what options you have. Maybe if you list all the options for him he can give you a btter idea of the trade value.

"They claim the Camry's are such a good deal, this all I can get for the HL." Camry's are a good deal right now and most dealers seem to be cutting to the bone to sell them. I am sure there is not much profit on just selling the new camry. Seems the dealer is trying to make up a little profit on your trade. Have you thought of selling the HL yourself or maybe selling it to Carmax if you ahve one in your area?
    Yes, I have tried selling it myself. 2 lookers, but no offers. We have no Carmax. Dealers are indeed making money on the Camrys. Just a little less. Didn't think that justified a $4,000 profit on my trade!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You might also want to pose your question over in Real-World Trade-In Values.
    I did indeed pose that question at real word trade ins. The gentleman said high 18's.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I did exactly what mass suggested. Without knowing what optional equipment is on your HL, or whether 2wd or 4wd. Also I used the zip code for my area. Prices do vary depending on where you live. A 4wd will bring all the money up north where lots of inclement weather is the norm as opposed to sunny Florida or Souther Cal where sunshine is king and most people buy 2wd.
                        : )
                        Mackabee
    If I can get KBB wholesale, I'll probably go ahead and scoop up one of these beautiful Camrys.
    Just do what a lot of customers are doing. Print the kbb appraisal and show it to them. What area of the country are you in?
                          Mackabee
  • northwesternnorthwestern Member Posts: 10
    I am doing price search for a 03 camry with abs and sunroof. It seems like there is only a 750 rebate to customer running now. I am in chicago. Any suggestion about the price or specific dealer? Thanks.
    For a regular LE (4 cyl) auto, I think it is in the $16K range. Just add the cost for ABS and sunroof, maybe like another $1500. In my area (MA), we have more LEs with ABS but less LEs with sunroof. I first looked at a LE before I bought my SE. There wasn't any with sunroof but the dealer told I can add one at the port for $900. Good luck!
    thanks for your information. Today I got a quote which offers me 19274-1000(rebate)=18274 with abs + sunroof. Is this good deal? (based on your estimation, the total price should be around 17500). I am in chicago, maybe something different. who knows.
    A friend's relative got a regular LE (4 cyl and auto) with no add-ons for $16.8K (after rebate)back in May. Did you check the pricing info on Edmunds? I think the sunroof is about $900 and the ABS is about $400. BTW, I think my dealer was quoted $19.7K for LE with ABS and sunroof back in May with only $750 cash back. So maybe your dealer's price is still high.
    I'm in North. Ca., San Jose. Thanks, man.
    I lived there when I was a tot. Don't remember anything, my Mom tells me about it. Also lived in San Diego while in Uncle Sam's canoe club and spent some time up in Vallejo/Oakland/San Francisco. Took the kids to the Redwood forest, what a sight! Beautiful country up there! I have lots of fond memories of California.
                                 Mackabee
    I am confused about your calculation. Let's say 16.8k is good price for a camry without any options(after rebate). So abs and sunroof may add about 1k more, that's 17.8k. My quote is 18274, only 400 higher, which is acceptable to me. I am not sure if you mean this is still hight or I misunderstood you.
    By the way, I have contacted more than 10 dealers in chicago area. The lowest quote is from Schaumburger Toyota, which is the biggest dealer in midwest region (as they claim).
    I know San Diego very well. Beautiful area. If you're ever visiting the bay area let me know on this board. I'll give you my email. I'd be happy to treat you and family to dinner. Take care, bro.
    Thanks! I'll keep it in mind.
                  Mackabee
  • mi009mi009 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in your quote of 19274-1000(rebate)=18274 with abs + sunroof. Is this quote from Schaumburg Toyota? I know that you can't post the salesperson name and phone number on this site. Is there a way that I could contact you for this info? Thanks.
  • miserymulemiserymule Member Posts: 5
    I paid $18086 after a $1200 rebate. $60 doc fee + tax =$19500 "out the door." It was hard to find an LE 4 cyl with ABS.
  • lamplamp Member Posts: 20
    Just got a price quote from longo toyota in southern calf. the out of door price is 19300. Is this a good deal?

4 cycl LE with roof and floor mat. and power drive seat.
    Sorry for the confusion. I just used the $16K price range for a LE with no option plus the prices for ABS and sunroof as an example. I didn't do any research from Edmunds but I think your price is good because I just read miserymule's price is $200 less but without the sunroof. With the factory incentive, this should be a best time to buy consider you won't get much discount for 2004 model plus it is going to be the same 4 cylinder engine on Camry.
    You can just simply email them and the manager may contact you.
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    I read somewhere recently that Toyota may make ABS brakes standard equipment across the entire Camry lineup for the 04 model year.

Have you heard anything to confirm or deny this? For me, it may make the difference of springing for an 03 or waiting for the 04 models. Thanks!

--18fan
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    to the Sedans board? Something is bizarre.

~alpha
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Actually, this discussion has been moved to the new Smart Shopper sub-board, What did you pay?, and then linked to Sedans.

Sorry for the confusion!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi alpha!! ;-)

There are lots of "Prices Paid" discussions linked here now... Check out the link Karen provided to see all of them in their actual "home".
  • patelsunvpatelsunv Member Posts: 1
    brand new (5 miles) LE basic automatic model (4 cyl) with mats in michigan was $16700 (includes all rebates) and ended up being $17864 out the door. Didnt see this website until i made the purchase. I now think I shouldve paid around $16800 out the door... looks like ive paid a valuable lesson..research, research, research and never make an impulsive buy! :(
  • mi009mi009 Member Posts: 2
    17864 out the door is the best price that I've seen in MI. Would you please email me the info on the name of the dealership and people I should talk to at [email protected]. Thanks
  • pgreenwoodpgreenwood Member Posts: 1
    my midwest dealer says there's $800 cash to buyer in lieu of special financing but no other Mfgr to dealer incentive (Edmunds says there's another $800 (total $1,600)) for Camry. Anyone know what is accurate?

my dealer is getting the car from another dealer because he doesn't have the one I want in stock. How much fee should I allow for this service?

price quoted is $1,100 over TMV (XLE V6) assuming no holdback allowance and only $800 cash to customer applies. Sound reasonable?
    That may be. They were standard in 1997. The 04 Solara will have abs standard, so I would imagine the Camry will too. I'll let you know as soon as I see something.
                    Mackabee
    Well, they were standard on the LE 4 in 97, but not the CE.

Please do keep us posted. You have provided great info in the past re: Toyota products. Thanks!

~alpha
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    The 04 brochures just landed in my office this morning.

ABS is standard on LE V6, SE V6, and XLE

Nothing else too earth shattering, besides:

New Limited Edition in Crystal White
    The 3.3 V6 in the SE
    So no ABS changes then.
    Wow! The 3.3L will be in the SE V6- awesome!

Thanks for the info!
    The dealer told me I cannot get both of them together. Is that true? I prefer to get the 1000 rebate, so where can I get relative low APR? Thanks.
  • 18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for the info on the ABS brakes. I'm really surprised that Toyota would not make this standard equipment across the entire line..... especially since their biggest competitor, the Accord, has ABS standard across all trim lines.

--18fan
    18fan - I was also expected the ABS will be standard on all Camry models. However, I am not surprised that Toyota would not make this on all Camrys. I have two Toyotas and one Honda (actually my in-law and my brother also are Honda owners) for the past ten years. I found more standard equipments on top of the line (EX or EX-L) Honda vehicles while you have to pay extra on Toyota. Some equipments are not even an option for the Toyota base models (DX or CE) such as fog lights and sunroof. I think Toyota wants their customers to buy the up scaled or the top of the line Toyota vehicles if you want these equipments.
    Thats kind of a broad statement. Honda, for example, offers no factory options whatsoever, except for NAV on their models. Want an Accord LX with factory sunroof, power drivers seat, or side curtain airbags? Cant have it. Want a Civic LX with Anti-lock Brakes? Cant have it. On the reverse, what if you want an EX V6 without leather, as some people might- can't do it.

Its two different approaches, and I really am not sure which one is better. Feature wise, the Accord and Camry line up like this, IMO

Accord DX- No Camry Equivalent, there is no stripper Camry

Accord LX- Camry LE. Equipment is pretty similar, Accord gives you ABS std, but you cant get some Camry features, like power drivers seat, 60/40 split rear, or options, like moonroof.

Accord LXV6 - Camry LE V6

Accord EX/EX-L- I personally feel these match up with the SE grade Camry, except you wont be able to get auto climate control in the Camry. OTOH, may see the XLE 4 as a match for the Accord EX models, but I personally feel the XLE 4 is terribly equipped at its price point (no alloys, no moonroof, etc.), and would buy an Accord EX over it anyday.

Accord EX V6-Camry SE V6. Again, I'd skip the XLE V6 Camry, as it is about 2k more than its Accord equiv. The SE V6 Camry, now with the 3.3L, IMO is more closely aligned with this Accord.

Bottom Line: The low and mid grade Camrys align well in terms of price and equipment with their equivalent Accords, but XLE V6 Camrys offer less value when comparable equipped.

~alpha

PS- of course, selling price and MSRP are two different stories.
    It's hard to believe that Toyota will not continue their incentives after August 4. The Toyota web site indicates that there is a large supply of Camry LE's with AT in the N. Calif region, 1167 to be exact. I look for prices to drop further to make way for the 04's.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    toledo19: Back around July 4th Toyota was advertising $1,250 cash back on Camry's. Right now its $1,000 but I bet it could go back up to $1,250 (or maybe $1,500?) if they have a large number of 2003's left. Does anyone here remember what the cashback offer was last August?

northwestern: credit unions seem to have great rates. I just got a flier today with a 3.6% offer. You don't always have to be a government worker to join credit unions either.
    I had a 798 Beacon score and was able to get 2.9% for 60 months with Bank of America through my dealer in June. I took that financing and I got a $1000 rebate on my camry purchase. This rate was equivalent to what toyota was offering if you took the low financing in lieu of the rebate. So I was able to get both and was very happy.
    Nice comparisons above, but where do you place the camry XLE? To add to what you said above I do not feel that Honda has an accord equivalent to the XLE. The EX is nice, but again like you said there are trade offs.

I looked at the accord through paper stats, photos and parking lot looks at new accords. I eliminated it without even going to look at it or test drive it. Even before I drove the camry xle, I was 90% sure it was what I was looking for. After I drove it I was 110% sure.

This is just my personal take, but based on the points you brought up above, I do not care for a sunroof, I do like the wood trim ( which I think is done more tasefully in the camry than the accord), I do like a better stereo ( the accord only has the same base unit in all models), and the coup de grace for me, the camry appears and feels more roomy to me and seems to be a much bigger car than the accord.

The accord is a great car too and I am not knocking it, but for my goals, the camry xle fit best. I wanted entry level luxury ( I have had two friends comment seperately that they felt like they were in a lexus (I have the premium pkg w/leather seats)), large roomy interior, large trunk, above average stereo, lots of extras, like auto climate, DRL, electrochromatic mirror, rear seat ducts, etc, and reliablity. I did not like the ride or the interior look of the SE and I could not equip an LE with all of the features that the XLE offers, that i wanted.

And as you stated above, selling price is what matters. I got an xle 4 cyl with side air bags, premium pkg (leather,alloys), heated seats, and floor mat set for around $21,700 plus $399 doc fee plus TTL. (around $300 les than edmunds invoice price with no TDA or SET fees). OTD was $23,500 minus a $1000 rebate so final OTD was $22,500. I am not sure what EX-L accords go for but I would think this much or maybe a little less.

Another note on pricing. I agree with you that the V6 models are overpriced, especially in the XLE line. I guess because of supply and demand. In my area the V6 added about $2000 over the 4 cyl on the XLE, on paper. Of course you get the sunroof std (which I did not care for)but that is a $700 option, so i guess you could say the engine added $1300. I probably would have gotten the V6 if it were only $1300 more and I could drop the sunroof. But because of supply and demand you could get an extra $900 below toyota invoice on a 4 cyl camry in my area. Basically 4 cyl camrys were selling $900 below toyota invoice and V6's were selling at toyota invoice. So in effect it would have cost me the $2000 paper difference for the V6 and the sunroof and I would have lost the extra $900 dues to supply and demand so the net effect was that the XLE V6 would have cost me $3000 more than the 4 cyl and I would have gotten a sunroof that I did not want. So I went with the 4 cyl and saved a bundle. I am very pleased with the 4 cyl so far and it is fine for my driving habits.
    Very interesting to read your thoughts and opinions, and customers with preferences like yours are the precise reason that this generation XLE and XLE V6 seem to be far outselling similar models from previous years. I'm glad that you are enjoying your Camry, what color did you purchase? Also, is there a specific reason why you do not like the power moonroof?

As a slight clarification, I do not think that V6s are overpriced across the line, it just seems that compared to the Accord, the XLE V6 is overpriced.

I really hope Toyota holds the line on pricing the 04 SE V6, with its 225hp/240lb ft. 3.3L unit.
    (The LE and XLE V6 models with continue with the 210hp/220lb ft. 3 litre mill)

~alpha
    I got aspen green. I was not thrilled with any of the colors, but liked the phantom grey the best. However, I definately wanted a taupe interior. I looked at the grey with the stone and taupe interior and decided that the grey with the taupe was too much of a color clash. So the green was my second choice.

I never have liked a sunroof. In my area, the SE, there are only a few weeks in the spring and a few weeks in the fall when the weather is nice enough to use it. Other times it is too hot or too cold, to me. If the sunroof was $200 I would not sweat having one, but to add $700 to $1000 for an option i am not crazy about and would only use like 8 times a year seems a waste of money to me. I would much rather spend that money on options that I will use everyday, like an upgraded stereo, etc.

Sorry about the misqoute of you on the V6's. I interpreted what you said above wrong. I agree with you that I think the biggest price difference comes into play on the XLE.
    Your credit score is surprising high. Mine is about 760. Do you think I can get APR less than 4%?
    760 does not sound too shabby either. I thought most of the really good finance offers were with score above 700 or 720. The best place to ask would probably be if there is a thread for this type of question in the Financing section, or fail that, you might want to ask some of the sales guys in the thread "Any questions for a car dealer?" in smart shopper. Let them know your score and area of the country and how long a loan you want.
    In my area you only need a 660 or above to get the special APR on Camrys, your and mass's score are in the upper stratosphere so you should get the lowest APR available anywhere.
                   Mackabee
    I just checked my Beacon score, which is 771. I am in Chicago and looking for a loan for 60 months.
    thanks for the info...I think northwestern was asking what rate he could get from a bank or CU if he took the camry rebate as opposed to the toyota financing.

northwestern---you can check rates on bankrate.com for online lenders, etc. Or check with a local CU if you have one available. The dealer should be able to get you a really low rate also, with the score you have. I was originally going to use my CU, they had rates of 2.9 for 48 months and 3.9 for 60 months. But the dealer said he could get me 2.9 for 60 months so i went with him. i think anything in this ballpark is reasonable for you. If the dealer says 6.9 for 60 months, I would look elsewhere, but 3-4.5% for 60 months sounds reasonable.