Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

revkarevka Posts: 1,750
Here is the new place for owners to discuss Acura RSX problems and solutions. Thanks for your participation.

Revka
Host
Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards

Comments

• uthinxuthinx Posts: 21
    Edmunds service section is correct. The first oil change should be at 5000 miles. A while back my dealer (Ray Laks Acura) sent me the revised maintenance schedule and it specified this. Today when I asked them they were quite insistant that 5000 was the correct mileage for the first oil change and that at that point the engine would be fully broken in and exhibiting its maximum performance characteristics. The original brochure had stated 3750 miles.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    In the Helpful Links on the left side of the page, you'll find a direct link to Edmunds' Maintenance guide where you can look up service schedules, recalls, and tsb's (technical service bulletins). Keep your eyes open for other related articles and discussions to be linked to that area. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Is it better to use synthetic motor oil at the first oil change or should you start off with a blend & then eventually go to full synthetic, or should you use synthetic at all. I heard that the best oil for Hondas/Acuras is Honda motor oil.Even better than synt, revka what do you think.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    I'm not familiar what Honda/Acura recommends in terms of synthetic oil, so I'd be hesitant to make any recommendations. I do know that opinions vary on this subject. To play it safe, you may want to ask your service manager. You may want also be interested in some of the oil discussions on our Maintenance & Repair board. To start, here's Engine Oil - A slippery subject. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    We have an RSX-S in our household, and I drive it sometimes. Not long after buying the car a clicking noise developed from the front left wheel (or maybe it is from the suspension). The clicking happens when accelerating and braking, and sometimes when going though potholes. It is like an on-off toggle - like something is shifting - once you start braking you get it, then there is no clicking no matter how much you brake. Then you accelerate - you get a click, and the car is ready to click again upon braking.

Anyway the dealer duplicated the noise but couldn't figure out what it was. By the way it was not the brake pads, apparently.

Also, I get the click when moving the steering wheel abruptly from side to side when that car is stationary.

Now, lately, I started noticing some changes in the handling of the car - I get this floaty feeling, but only sometimes. Then under hard acceleration all of a sudden there is a pull to the right. It is totally not linear and happens only sometimes. It is most definitely not torque steer. Also, when going though a pothole, again only sometimes, the car shifts/steers to the right. It is quite disconcerting, as for a split moment you get the feeling that you no longer control the car with the steering wheel.

Can anybody suggest what may be wrong? Thanks in advance!
  • With respect to the handling, check the tie rods. I know somebody who's car started feeling vague and floaty. He took it into the dealer and they discovered he had loose tie rods.

For the click, I don't know, I don't have it in my car.
  • jps7jps7 Posts: 1
    I once had an american made SUV that had the same floaty feeling. The cause was a broken computer system. This SUV came with Power Assist stearing, same as the Acura RSX. This feature is suppose to determine how fast your are traveling while taking a corner and assist with greater or less pressure to the drivers steering wheel ( only way I know how to explain it). Anyway, when the computer caused this problem, I was driving through the Rockies with five adults in the vehicle, tried to round a corner doing 70 MPH (speed limit is 65) and nearly flipped the SUV. Since the SUV was extremely heavy, I almost oversteered too much to correct the floating feeling. Scared me to death. My guess is the sensation won't be as bad in a RSX, but I'd have it checked. Good luck!!!
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    Thank you all for your replies. Will post again after my next vist to the dealer.
  • eman6628eman6628 Posts: 41
    Is there anyway to prevent the air condition to turn on when switch the fan setting to defrost?
  • tntitantntitan Posts: 306
    Go to the Honda Owners CRV board and see post #6798 for a way to circumvent the A/C when using the defroster.
  • aabeaabe Posts: 1
    Anyone have any problems with 2nd gear, or any problems with control of the car when downshifting??
  • suijuris94suijuris94 Posts: 4
    When I picked up my RSX-Type S five days ago, I specifically asked the dealer when the first oil change should be and he reassured me that the manual, which says to do it at 10,000 miles, was correct. Also, the manual says synthetic oil is okay as long as it has a certain seal showing it meets certain specifications. I forget the name of the certifying entity, though. Sorry! I can't see how it would hurt changing the oil more frequently than recommended though. Is there a risk there??
  • acbeacbe Posts: 16
    I was told by my dealer that it says 10K in the manual to show just how long you can go without an oil change, however he recommended about every 3500. About the synthetic oil, I really don't know but I have always gone directly to the dealer service center for oil changes...even though it may cost a bit more, at least I know it's done properly...and they use a special "honda" oil from what I hear....whether synthetic or not, again...I'm not sure. If I were you, I'd just call your local acura service department and I'm sure they'll answer any questions quite honestly and thoroughly; they've been great with me, especially since I'm not very "mechanically savvy". ;)
  • dkneedsnwcrdkneedsnwcr Posts: 35
    If you drive it hard (I think it's on Acura's owner website), then you change it every 5000miles. If you just cruise in the thing, then 10 000 miles.

I honestly don't think it will hurt you if you change it earlier. I've been told that they've put some detergents in the oil for you to break in your engine. But that's hearsay.

Other than that, the only thing changing your oil more frequently is going to hurt is your wallet.
  • liebel2liebel2 Posts: 1
    Has anyone tried a k&n air filter in place of the stock filter?
  • joe249joe249 Posts: 95
    Running 89 or 91 premium seems to me would make engine run at a high temperature. So I change every 3000 miles.Can't hurt can it?
  • ncrsxsncrsxs Posts: 2
    I've had my Type-s for 7 months now (9700 miles) and 2nd gear is still notchy when the car is cold. Goes away after 5 minutes of driving.
    Still having a lot of fun with the car.
    If you can believe this . Change oil at 5000 but,not the filter until 10k. I do it all at 3k or, 2 months.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Try changing your manual transmission fluid to Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lubricant). Its a synthetic that has improved the shift feel in every car I have put it in. It comes in 75W-80 and 75W-90. Can be found at most speed shops. Takes a few days to work its way in, you will notice the difference.
  • khannagkhannag Posts: 4
    I've been very attracted to the black leather interior offered by Acura. However, I just test drove an RSX and I felt a little claustrophobic inside the car. It also seemed like on a hot day that interior would make the car really hot.

Would love any any feedback from other people who own the car?
  • d5tanleyd5tanley Posts: 16
    i've experienced an serious lack of traction a few times at low speeds when the tires are wet. not in the rain, but after driving through a puddle or washing the car. has anyone else nocited this?
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Posts: 209
    for what i know the new rsx Carrie the i-vtec.
    now the question is: have any of the owners had any problems with the check engine light coming on and off? or when you step on it hard and passing the 4000 rpm where the i-vtec engaged it feel lithe hesitation?
    Let's go back to it.Why fix something if it isn't broken? Surfing Town Hall is like trying to find something at the grocery store after they put things in different Isles IMHO.
  • erictooleyerictooley Posts: 13
    I like my RSX, but it's LOUD on rough pavement (i.e., most freeways in Portland). Anyone installed noise abatement materials like B-quiet or Dynamat? Does it only make sense to take out the seats and do the entire floor? Or would a door + trunk project help appreciably?
  • For having a premium sound system (I own a Type-S), I am very dissatisfied with the sound quality in my RSX. The subwoofer in the floor doesn't seem to produce very much bass - does anyone else experience this, and is there anything I can do about it besides buying aftermarket parts? I would appreciate any input...
  • d5tanleyd5tanley Posts: 16
    i recall seeing somewhere else that there was a wiring problem with some of the subwoofers. you might want to contact your dealer to see if your's is one of the models with the defect.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    If your car is new, most likely the wire swap has already been performed by Acura. I think this was resolved in Jan. or Feb. of this year.

I own an RSX-S, and the Bose system does stink very much. It sounds good on paper (in-dash 6-CD changer, 7-speaker sound system, AM/FM/CD/cassette, etc.), but sounds poor in real life. I plan on buying a Basslink all-in-one subwoofer to replace the Bose Richbass Woofer in the hatch.
  • Thanks for the advice - I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay an additional fee to upgrade the system, but I guess I have no choice!
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    Years ago my CRX was also road-noisy. I took all the interior panels off, stuffed all the space behind/ underneath with fiberglass house insulation, reinstalled panels. Quieted the car quite a bit for almost no investment.
    Woofer? What woofer? Beowoulf,where are you going to put your new woofer on the doughnut?