Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Drive one, no lose in performance, just as much fun....
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    Well, I just meant "loss in performance" strictly by the numbers. The TSX weighs more but has the same HP as the RSX. Granted, the TSX has a bit more torque, but not enough to compensate for the extra weight. RSX-S does 0-to-60 in 6.7 sec., I think the TSX is just under 7.0 sec. (maybe 6.9). It's no slouch by any stretch of the imagination, but not *as* quick.

I'm sure the fun factor of the TSX must be just as high b/c I've heard its tranny is driver friendly.
  • I am a HUGE fan of the RSX-s, I owned one, I loved it, to me both cars handle really well. No complaints. You are on the money with the tranny observation, the TSX six speed is noticably smoother than the RSX-s, especially in the first 3 gears. You know what is really cool, the seat warmers......the headlights are nice to.
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    Heated seats. I sure wish the US version of the RSX had those.
    Not fair that the Canadiens get all of the good stuff. That's why I opted for the cloth interior with mine....no heated setas to back me up in the wintertime.

Question of the day:
    If an RSX sold in Canada has heated seats and mirrors, what does an RSX sold in Alaska have? US sold RSX's do not have the heated seats and mirrors...and yet, Alaska certainly should qualify for cold temps.
    Perhaps there are no Acura dealers in Alaska?

Anybody have the answer for this one?
  • joe249joe249 Posts: 95
    Live in Maine .Accura doesn't want to deal here ,so I had to buy in NH.
          Anyways after using the wife's car w/heated seats, I'm going to a GTI or WRX w/heated seats.

I'll miss acurra's qualiity, but I want some comfort when I'm driving.
    Anyways after using the wife's car w/heated seats, I'm going to a GTI or WRX w/heated seats.
    I'll miss acurra's qualiity, but I want some comfort when I'm driving.

oh, c'mon....it can't be THAT bad. How long does it really take to warm the car up so the heater is blasting hot air?

And even in Maine, how many days a year do you really need to keep your butt warm?...all for the sake of losing the Acura quality?

On cold mornings in NH I start the car up 5 minutes early...warms up the interior and melts the ice on the windshield.
  • Hey Everyone! I bought my RSX 03 in May and it was the best decision I've ever made. The car is perfect, except for one thing.... a lot of times when i get out of my car it smells like rotten eggs!! Is that normal?? A couple people said that they had the same problem but after the first couple thousand miles the smell went away. I have about 5,000miles on my car and the smell is still there. Acura told me to use the middle gas instead of regular gas and that might solve the horrible smell.. that didnt work. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    if the smell is outside the car, it may be the catalytic converter. has the dealer checked it?
    The smell is from the catalytic converter it will eventually go away.
    The USA 2004 RSXs (both trims) now come w/ heated mirrors as standard (i.e. not an optional upgrade).

I care more about heated mirrors than heated seats. I wonder if there's a way to get heated mirror functionality in my 2002 RSX-S. : \
    The USA 2004 RSXs (both trims) now come w/ heated mirrors as standard (i.e. not an optional upgrade).

:-O
    That's not fair!!

I care more about heated mirrors than heated seats. I wonder if there's a way to get heated mirror functionality in my 2002 RSX-S.

I feel the same way.
    If what you say is true than it shouldn't be too hard for the dealer to switch over to the heated mirrors. The hurdle has been adding the heated mirror controls into the wire bundle coming from the door and routing it throuhg the dash. Very time consuming and expensive. Now that it comes standard, I would think it would be as easy (ok not too easy) as swapping cable bundles and swapping the mirror assemblies.

The heated seats have been done already with very little work. (Not me but I heard it is fairly simple)
    I got a price "questimate" from my dealer for getting the heated mirrors added to my 2002 RSX. The price would be over $1000 ( I believe they even said "well over")

Perhaps waiting awhile to let them get more standardized with it and also wait for some good documentation on how to do it and it may be plausible to do it yourself once purchasing the harness, mirrors, relay, and switch.
  • wwlccpwwlccp Posts: 25
    Hi!

I was wondering,is there anyone that can refer me to a place where I could find a set of the front fenders for the RSX? I don't care if it's used or not, but I'm looking for a set of factory fenders.
    Thanks!
    Sorry for being MIA for so long. I haven't contacted my dealer yet to see what it would cost to retrofit heated side mirrors into my 2002 RSX-S. Given the terrible and cold winter we've had (again) in the Northeast, I wish I had already asked. : \

wwlccp, just do a search for that part # or description on google and also add "Acura RSX" in the search box.
  • vickatvickat Posts: 43
    Hi,
    Reporting on my experinces with RSX base bought new back in July'03. It's got 16K mile on it by now.
    Love car, but can't help to list problems, real or preceived:
    1. Gas mileage hit 33 miles/gallon once in late Aug'03, fell to 31 mpg later, and to 29 mpg in winter time (downstate NY). Dealer makes vague references to gas quality. Yeah, right!

2. Just a couple of days ago, in cold morning, pulled driver's side window down at toll booth. Sure it refused to roll back up. Pulled to the shoulder, helped it up with my fingers, it rolled up reluctantly, and door plastic panel was "wavering", suggesting window guide is out of alignment. Brought car to the dealer same day, they put some grease into guide, seems working for now.

3. This car workmanship is worse than that of my previous car, Mazda Protege. These little things, uneven plastic panels, screaching rear window wiper, floor carpet gets loose in corners... A pity!
  • i agree - the fit and finish for this car, an Acura, albeit the least expensive one, is pretty shameful. for the dollar, it's fine, but for the name, it's not.

that being said if my only complaint is fit and finish (and to date, at 4K miles it is) then i ain't complaining.
    Love car, but can't help to list problems, real or preceived:
    Gas mileage hit 33 miles/gallon once in late Aug'03, fell to 31 mpg later, and to 29 mpg in winter time (downstate NY). Dealer makes vague references to gas quality. Yeah, right!

Your drop in mileage could be that you are enjoying your car more (if you know what I mean) But the story about winter gas could also be true. Additives are sometimes added to the gas through the winter months to keep it from freezing. Have you had the regular dealer maintenance? If not, the air filter could be dirty. I've got the K&N filter in mine.

Just a couple of days ago, in cold morning, pulled driver's side window down at toll booth. Sure it refused to roll back up. Pulled to the shoulder, helped it up with my fingers, it rolled up reluctantly, and door plastic panel was "wavering", suggesting window guide is out of alignment. Brought car to the dealer same day, they put some grease into guide, seems working for now.

I've had mine squeal before (only the drivers side) when going down. This would only happen the first time I did it....and only on very cold mornings (around 15 deg F)

Besides that, 46,000 miles and still happy with it.

This car workmanship is worse than that of my previous car, Mazda Protege. These little things, uneven plastic panels, screaching rear window wiper, floor carpet gets loose in corners... A pity!

Sorry to hear about that. I got one of the first models in the fall of 2001...they had to have it brought in from over 500 miles away. I would have thought that mine would be more troublesome, but maybe they were extra meticulous putting the earlier ones together....don't know.
  • I am in the sports performance scene and i just totaled my 02 Mits GT-S In December it was all decked out for shows. but i needed another car, so i was on edmunds and compared cars. I decided that the 04 RSX TYPE-S was the best deal. i got it for 3.9% and at a price of 21,500.00 great deal. I bought it St. Louis on the 2nd of Jan. and drove it back to VA, Beach on the 5th of Jan. I had a little over 1000 miles on it when i blew 2 cylinders and 8 valves on the 6th of Jan. it took the dealer 3 weeks to get me the car back and didn't give me a price till the day i picked it up (22 Jan). they went 50/50 on it since they said it was my fault but it was really my friends. The day i got it back i went back to St. Louis. When i got back to VA Beach the engine light went on and i think its because I didn't tighten the gas cap all the way (stupid mistake on my part). but not only that but on and off the locking mechanism to stop you from going to 5th to reverse doesn't close sometimes. anybody know why? so far its been a bad month and now i am scared to do anything to it even sometimes drive it, because something might happen. Oh yea i forgot to mention that it was at the dealer all day today (January 9th with 3880 miles on it now) and they fixed that problem and there was a burning smell under the hood and it was because when they fixed the car the first time they had to take the whole engine out and didn't tighten the oil cover tight, it was loose, so oil was coming out. Dont get me wrong I LOVE this car its just that I have had to put it in the shop more times in 6 weeks than i did my 02 GT-S eclipse. Oh yea, to make this car the best overall car would have to be..... more toruqe.....142lbs, come on it needs more.
  • what did you (or your friend) do to blow the engine?

are you saying you tried to shift from 5th to 4th and ended up in reverse?? are you pistol gripping the shifter?