Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    The engine on the Type S is tuned to be run on high octane gas and its one of the requirements. I'm not surprised that you got poor gas mileage.

I'm surprised your dealer didn't tell you or you didn't read it in the manual.
  • carob1carob1 Posts: 3
    That makes it sound as if you think 91 is low octane. I don't know if you actually think that or not but that's what it sounds like.

Not all states in the U.S. even sell 93 octane. 91 is the most you can get (at a gas station anyway). It all depends on where you live.
  • The owerners manual says to use 91 ocatane or higher. I was just stating that 93 octane, if you can find it, can improve your gas mileage by so much.

http://www.autofan.com/review.asp?ID=740
    Recommended Fuel for RSX Type S - premium unleaded 91 octane
    I guess I didn't say it clear enough. My apologies.

Perhaps I should have said 91 is lower octane? Would that make you happy?
    :-)
  • joebtjoebt Posts: 7
    Just purchased an 02 RSX with about 55,000 miles on it. Car is very clean, runs well and came with a clear car fax report and was a one owner. However, the Engine Check light has come on and then goes off by itself a couple of times. Gas cap is on tight. Help, what else could be causing this, and is it anything to get worried about? Thanks.
  • Check your owners manual for mileage check ups. You may be at the point where you need to get a check up on your car and have the dealership reset your engine light. If it blinks for 15 seconds when you start your car and then it turns off that's probably what it is.
  • joebtjoebt Posts: 7
    Thanks for the tip, however that's not the one. It will be off at start up, and then just driving down the road at some later time it will come on. It will stay on even after shuting off the car and restarting it, then again when just driving down the road it will go off...
  • rsxingrsxing Posts: 1
    Hey!

I just bought a brand new 06 RSX (1 mile on the odometer). When I took the car home from the dealership, there was a distint buzzing noise coming from what I thought was the moonrood area. The noise seemed to switch sides depending on which way a cross wind was blowing. The dealership states that they need to replace the sunroof glass to fix this buzzing noise. Wll let you know if this works.
  • Thanks for your post "rsxing",

The buzzing noise I hear sounds like its distinctly coming from the engine bay whether as if its a heat sheild rubbing against one of the drive shafts. On first attempt, the dealer attempted to tighten these down and it seemed to help or quiet the noise but it came back the next day. The car is still at the dealer and they are attempting to fix the car a second time. So far my car has been there over a week and half. A few more fixes and Im going to attempt to have them replace the car. :lemon:

As far as the noise you heard from the sunroof area....
    I have been searching posts on here as well as on ClubRSX.com where I found people having a similar buzzing or wind related noise coming from the top of the windshield. I believe the dealers responded by replacing the from windshield to correct the problem.

If anyone else has any idea about the buzzing noise or knows of someone having a similar issue. Please let me know.
  • jdlrnjdlrn Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2003 Acura RSX. Unfortunately, when I got it home I noticed that neither the turn signal nor the hazard lights work. I replaced the fuses for both with no change. I've never heard of a bulb causing all lights to malfunction, but I guess I will try that next. Also, the turn signal indicator lights on the dash don't light either. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
  • 2006rsx2006rsx Posts: 32
    Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Sometimes this clears the codes.
    '05/'06 use different suspension parts than earlier years. I KNOW the springs are different because when I got my Eibachs for my '06 they carried a different part number. I too have the popping sound in the front end. Dealer told me it was caused by the Eibachs! I guess not, after reading about all the front end noises on these stock RSXs.
  • dj1rsxdj1rsx Posts: 7
    I have a '06 rsx, i was wondering if anyone else has this problem. When the car is cold, it's very snappy when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. But when the car gets hot, it has a bad hesitation when shifting in those gears from 4000 rpms to 5000rpms, and if i leave it in 2nd it studders untill it passes 5000rpms. The dealership is telling me its normal, but I don't believe that. It's bogs out bad. It only happens when its hot, like i said its really powerful when you first start it up.
    I don't have the exact same problem, but it sure does seem like the A/C saps about 1/2 of the engine's power. Do you notice the problem when you have the A/C on? My car is a total dog with the A/C on. And if left to its own, the tranny is almost always in a too high of a gear, making the situation worse.
    Yea, my car looses alot of power with the a/c on too, but my car does this without the a/c on, it just totally dogs out when shifting at 4 to 5000 rpms only when its hot
    Is it an auto or a manual tranny?

When you say "when the car gets hot" are you referring to when the car is warmed up or that it is actually running hot?

Just trying to get clarification before I answer

Also, what are the air temperatures when you notice this?
  • I am experiencing the oh so common spring issue, which has taken the dealership 6 months to figure out. I suggested that they put MDX spring silencers on (as I saw on here) and they said it wouldnt work...after an argument, they did, and it worked (so far...two days and counting). However, I have also had three sunroof replacements...rattling, creaking, etc. My question is, I also have a knocking in the rear passenger side tire. Its worse when the car is first driven. The dealer replaced a strut, made repairs to the sway bar, and the problem did not go away. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
  • I have the same problem with my 05 base model. I was on the thruway the other day in the rain, and it began. I thought something was falling off my car. I have had three sunroofs replaced, and it may have something to do with that? Im on the third, but it hasn't rained yet...
    My car is a manual, 5 speed. The car isn't running hot, just when the temperature warms up. When I first start it in the morning or whenever, and take off, the cars got alot of power, but when it warms up, it totally dogs out when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3, when shifting between 4000-5000 rpm's. The dealership is telling me this is normal, I know better, I've had alot of other cars and none of them did something like this.
    You could just be experiencing "heat soak". If you are unfamiliar with this term, it's what happens when the intake components under the hood warm up and do not allow the cool incoming air to stay as dense. Denser air provides better power. The RSX is prone to this heat soak due to the large plastic intake manifold an dtight confines of teh engine compartment.
    If this is your problem, you'll notice MUCH better acceleration on cooler days than on hot days.

The best way to fix this is to get a Cold Air Intake (CAI) which replaces your plastic OEM manifold with a long tube that grabs air from outside of the engine compartment.
  • songmoesongmoe Posts: 2
    I have 06 Rsx S.It runs well on the smooth road but runs over pothole, I feel like the car is going to flip over.It happened to me 3 times. :(
  • I bought a brand new RSX in June 2006, and am having the same problem: transmission chatters when in second gear (manual transmission), turning left, and going slightly uphill. This is no minor noise that you need a stethoscope to hear -- it’s loud. I first noticed it at 300 miles. Acura dealer says it’s the transmission and that they know what the problem is. They’ve had the car for over three weeks, but since I have a loaner car, I don’t really care. But after reading about all the problems with this car, I plan on selling it as soon as they fix it -- if they fix it. I had an old Integra that went 10 years with absolutely no repairs -- I’m very surprised and disappointed with Acura.
    I'm not to sure if it is heat soak or not. When I first start the car it has balls, but when it warms up is when it happens. It's a serious lag in the power when shifting only between 4000 & 5000 rpm's. If I shift at a higher rpm, it doesn't seem to do it. Do you have a RSX or work on them?
    I've had an RSX since October of 2002. I notice a drop in performance when summer comes around and an increase when winter comes.

I'm guessing that you don't see a drop in power at higher RPMs because thats the engines sweet spot. Its probably still there, but not as noticable.
  • katedkated Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 RSX that was recently in an accident. It was hit on the passenger side (right) front wheel/door area. I got it back from the body shop yesterday and it looks great but drives terribly. Among other things, the body shop replaced the suspension and did an alignment (insurance wouldn't pay for the Acura dealership to repair it). Now the car pulls to the right, the steering feels loose when turning the wheel to the right and the steering wheel shakes and vibrates at speeds above 70mph. Any ideas what the problem could be?
    yeah, the body shop did a lousy job fixing your car and your insurance company should make sure that your car gets fixed correctly.

You might want to bring up all of the issues that you are having with your steering and also mention that these "issues" WILL contribute to a future accident if they are not addressed. Do this in writing...whether by e-mail or actual letter that you hand carry to them. If they fail to help you out, you at least now have your issues on paper and documented. I would then bring the car to your Acura dealer and have them assess the car....If they find problems with it, bring the write-up sheet from Acura to your insurance company and show them.

If they still refuse to get the car fixed properly, contact your states attorney general. Automobile safety should not be taken lightly...ESPECIALLY by a company that makes money off of customers NOT getting into accidents.

My guess is that you'll never need to go as far as the Attorney General.
  • katedkated Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. I actually had the car at the Acura dealership yesterday and they found a loose socket on the tie rod and a bent break rotor and the car was completely out of alignement. Acura fixed everything and the car is driving much better, although I'm still not completely happy with the steering. I ended up paying Acura for the repairs but the body shop claims that they are going to reimburse me, so we'll see. I'm hoping I won't have to take legal action. Thanks again.
  • tonidtonid Posts: 4
    just bought my daughter a 20002 rsx i was wondering how is it in the snow
  • I was washing my 2006 RSX that has 3k miles on it and I noticed where there was some bird dropping that the paint is chipped and discolored. Has anyone had this experience? My car is not even 4 months old! Any suggestions?

Skipper
    I have found that bird droppings must be removed within a few hours of happening. Otherwise the paint on any car will be damaged. Washing and waxing the area immediately is the only way to prevent permanent damage. Maybe the area can be buffed out?