Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• volcom378volcom378 Posts: 16
    Is the dash rattle the only problem that the RSX has? i am looking to getting one and if thats the only problem that why are people complaining? i've had other cars with worst problems. i need to know if their are other problems, like with the audio (Type-S) engine, gas milege ETC. please, thanks
  • unagidonunagidon Posts: 20
    Get it! I drive a base RSX, and the audio's not that great (in fact, it kinda sucks). But the refinement on the car is amazing! And it's really fun to drive, especially if you're gonna get the Type S. I used to drive a 98 Prelude, and I think the RSX beats the Prelude on the fun factor. I test drove the Mazda6 and that actually felt quite good as well, especially if you need 2 extra doors...
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    I personally haven't had any problems w/ my RSX-S (knock on wood!). The stereo definitely is underpowered, but most stock systems are. Some have a grind between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd gears. Also, the RSX is a bit under-tired, nothing dangerous, but not great if you want to race or peel out. I also recommend the RSX (Type-S if you can).
  • radrodradrod Posts: 4
    I've had my 2002 Artic Blue Pearl RSX Type S since February 2002. I just passed 15,000 miles, so I feel I can offer a "long term road test" like Edmund's (albeit not as thorough!)

PROBLEMS: Almost nothing. Yes, there's a notchiness in the 6-speed transmission, which seems to be inherent in this type of cable driven shifter. But I got used to that pretty quickly. My left-side map light sticks sometimes, and there's a "buzzing" that occurs on the driver's side right at 4,000 RPMs. Both of the above problems will be addressed by the dealer when I bring my car in for the 15,000 mile service. (Both were pretty common problems with this model, and if you search the "Problems & Solutions" boards both here and elsewhere, you'll see how others have addressed them).

Other than that, it's been a great car. My previous two cars were both GSR's (1995 & 2000) and when it came time to get this one, I really did a ton of research and almost got a WRX. But overall, this was the best car for me. The build, the quality, the economy, the ecology (low emission vehicle), the company rep, the stereo (I may be one of the few fans of this stereo, which has not given me any problems including regular use of the 6-disc changer), and last but not least the moonroof. I just can't seem to enjoy driving a car that doesn't have one anymore.

For me, the two door/hatchback design is still very practical, and this just continues to be a great car. Of course, no one car is going to give you everything, but for the price, it's a good value. It even got five star crash test ratings for both driver & passenger, a claim the previous Integra couldn't make.

And 15 months after getting it, it still puts a smile on my face every time I race down Sunset Blvd. at night with the moonroof open and the ocean breezes blowing and the stars shining and Jim Ladd on the radio. Lord, have mercy.......
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your 15k vehicle report! Glad to hear your RSX has been serving you well. You may also want to share (copy/paste) your notes with other owners/shoppers in our main Acura RSX discussion. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • chacha99chacha99 Posts: 14
    Hey everyone! I was hoping for some help on the RSX 2003. I currently own a 2002 Honda Civic EX that has been FINALLY claimed as a lemon. Honda is buying the car back from me next week. So basically i'm stuck without a car. I loved the car besides all the problems with it. So since the RSX seems to be very similiar to it i was thinking about buying one.
    My question is can someone please tell me what some of the problems are that they have had with this car, because i really dont need to buy another car with problems. Over-all i have heard great reviews on it.
    Also i wanted to know some pricing or what people have paid.
    I went to the dealership today for a test drive and some prices.
    Auto w/ leather, full body kit, and spoiler was quoted at almost $25k including all fees. Is this reasonable or over priced? Would anyone suggest buying the body kit or spoiler somewhere else and doing the work myself or would that be too complicated? What about interest rates?
    I was hoping to wait till the 2004's came out so then Acura would lower the prices on the 2003's but thats not suppose to happen till August.
    Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated!!
    Thanks!!
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    I have over 38,000 miles on my RSX and have had only one problem. The vtec solenoid shorted out at around 35,000 miles. It prevented me from going over 3000 rpms but the car was still drivable(I just had to shift before 3000). It happened on a Friday and my dealer told me to bring it in first thing Monday morning. They gave me a free loaner car and had the problem fixed by the next day.

As far as I'm concerned, that's incredible service...and a very impressive track record for a "first year car".

...and it still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.
  • zenzikorazenzikora Posts: 64
    I think it looks great without the body kit etc., but appearance is fully subjective:-) Then again I also thought the manual was so easy I would never pay more for the auto, so thats opinion too.
    There is 2.9% financing for 60 months available right now through Acura/Honda on the RSX.
  • unagidonunagidon Posts: 20
    I currently own a 98 Civic EX (unfortunately in automatic) and I just purchased a brand new 2002 RSX a month ago. And before my 98 Civic, I drove a 98 Prelude base. Of the three cars, I would have to say that the RSX is the most fun. Not as powerful or "comfortable" as the Prelude, but lighter, more "tossable" and sportier feel. I just dread it when I have to go over railway tracks, bumpy roads, etc. But great fun on twisties and entering/exiting highways =) No problems yet, although I heard a rattling noise near the passenger side sunroof a few days ago, but then it went away. I hope it never comes back!
  • chacha99chacha99 Posts: 14
    Just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I wish i enjoyed driving stick cause then i would get the type S, but to me it's kind of a hassle.
    Zenzikora-- thats funny u say that about the interest rate... When i went to the dealership two days ago i was told i probably could get the 4.9%. I have excellent credit. Was the dealer trying to get one by me?
    Does anyone know if the RSX has the same power as the civic ex? I thought they both have the same engine (160hp and VTEC) but acura told me that it has better acceleration. Just wondering..
    Thanks
    Glad to see you're getting some helpful feedback here, from other members, regarding RSX problems.

Regarding interest rates and other (non-problem) matters, you should post (copy/paste) your questions in our main Acura RSX discussion. I think you'll be more likely to run into other RSX shoppers in that discussion, since the focus of this discussion is suppose to be about (mechanical) problems and solutions.

Btw, sounds like you may also be interested in our Acura RSX vs Honda Civic - Driving Impressions discussion. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    I posted regarding RSX/Civic in other forum. The 2.9% APR just came out the 15th, so it may not have been in yet when they quoted you. Its on the Acura website now.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    The Civic EX has 127 hp from a 1.7 liter engine. The RSX has 160 hp from a 2.0 liter. The RSX and the Civic Si share the same engine.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    The RSX lacks the Si's balance shafts.
    The RSX has 9 more ft-lbs of torque, at 1000 less rpm than the Si. . .
    (plus it's not ugly:-)
    Hi Folks - As zenzikora has suggested, let's compare the RSX with the Si in our Acura RSX vs Honda Civic discussion, so people here can focus on RSX problems & solutions. Feel free to copy/paste your recent Si vs RSX comments into that discussion.

Please note: further off topic posts will be subject to automatic deletion. And now, back to the subject of this discussion. Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • rsx_griefrsx_grief Posts: 12
    Hi,

i just bought RSX(5-speed manual) couple weeks ago. While i was driving home from dealership, i noticed that car sounded rough, so i called the dealership next morning, and they told me it needs to go through the break-in period. i currently have 800 miles on the car, and i still have the roughness. What do i mean by roughness? When i press on my car's gas pedal, it sounds and feels rough; even between 2000 and 3000 RPM. It feels like the car is choking on something.

Sometimes, it also feels like something is loose beneath gas pedal and break pedal when I step on them. i went back to the dealership few days ago and test drove another RSX, and when i pressed on the gas pedal, it was smooth and quiet without much of rough noise.

My RSX also idles at 1600-1800 RPM when i start the car, and gradually comes down. Also on the day that I brought the car home, the car shook when I shut off the engine, and it has been shaking on and off since then. It seems to shake more after a long drive.

i have driven manual cars for about 13 years (9 years and 190,000 miles with Integra), and can do simple work such as changing all the fluids and know how car should run, but i'm not a mechanic. Has anyone had this sort of experience? Can anyone shed some light on what might be the problem?

i had really good experience with Integra, and i thought i could take RSX for 200,000 miles, but this doesn't look probable at this point.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions.
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    You need to demonstrate the trouble to the service manager, and let them go to town on it. It could be anything from a bad injector to an improperly gapped spark plug, or about fifty other things.

Don't be shy about using the warranty -- you paid for it!
  • michiganmanmichiganman Posts: 65
    himlier is right - go back to the dealer and do not take no for an answer. That is totally unacceptable for a new car, especially an Acura.
  • rsx_griefrsx_grief Posts: 12
    Hi Mr. John Spencer,

Thanks for your advice and comment. It's funny that you mentioned that this problem may be due to bad fuel injector. Although RSX only requires 87 octane gas, when i put in 93 octane gas, it did run a little smoother than before. i know you're not a mechanic, but by a chance, do you know if there are any correlation between the two?
    I.e., would higher octane gas compensate, to a degree, for faulty fuel injector?

i have contacted and made an appointment with the dealership in conjunction with Honda America(parent company of Acura) for diagnostic test in June. But i think more knowledge i have about this sort of problem, better i will be prepared to ask right or intelligent questions to the dealership and Honda America.

Thanks again for showing interest in my problem. i nearly emptied out my checking account to buy this RSX, and i hope i can have this car running good as my old Integra.

bobby.