Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RSX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• vickatvickat Posts: 43
    Thanks for sharing! Actually, if I drive this RSX base within 55-65 mph range, gas mileage turns out much better than my usual 75 to 80. Well, hard to complain on that! Still, I think Acura should've done better job on fit/finish. BTW, sometimes, after driving in wet weather, I can feel the odor of burned rubber coming from rear right wheel area. Any suggestions? - thanks, Victor
  • nitromaxnitromax Posts: 641
    BTW, sometimes, after driving in wet weather, I can feel the odor of burned rubber coming from rear right wheel area. Any suggestions?

"FEEL" the odor? My, aren't we talented?
    :-)

I'm assuming you mean smell the odor. Is this after getting out of the car and smelling near the right rear tire area?
  • he was at a stop light and floored it. When he was trying to go to 4th gear at high RPMs he put it into 2nd instead which in turn over reved the engine. to the 2nd Question you asked. just driving casually around town i know that the locking mechanism isn't closed because I can put the shifter far right past 5th. When the locking mechanism is closed you cant go that far right. i never accidentally threw it in reverse while driving because when i go to 6th gear its a smooth transition. when the locking mechanism is open while driving i can feel the grind as i i try to go to 6th but know its trying to go to reverse, so i just be careful and find the 6th gear slot and put it in 6th.
    Yes, correct: walking around the car, I can smell burned rubber odor near the right rear tire, but only after driving in wet weather.
    What'd that be?
  • on other boards a lot of the fast and furious types can't understand why Acura won't pay for their blown engine after they do just what your friend did: misshift. i just have to shake my head. 1) it's piss poor driving to misshift like that, and 2) i think Acura has been very lenient (the first time) for this screw up.

tell your "friend" they are done ever sitting in the driver seat and they should pay for every bit that Acura doesn't cover.

re: the lock out, i don't think the synchros wd let you put it into reverse from 5th, but to do so wd basically mean you might as well get an automatic. (when i say you i mean the "universal you").
    correct: walking around the car, I can smell burned rubber odor near the right rear tire, but only after driving in wet weather.
    What'd that be?

You got me there. Maybe someone else knows what it could be.

If it was all weather, I might wonder if you're confusing the smell with the catalytic converter smell, but you only smell it during wet weather.

Are you driving the car hard (high rpms) right before you smell it?

Have you run over any rubber ducky's recently?
    (perhaps it got lodged up in your wheel well area)
    :-)
  • li_sailorli_sailor Posts: 1,081
    Just my 2 c...I have no complaints re FNF with my '02 type S. Everything's tight and clean.

I do, however, have the notchy 3rd gear problem...even pops out occasionally (rare, but annoying) on the shift. I plan to have it addressed when I take it in for my (overdue) 15k service. I note that there are several TSBs on this.

I have no idea about the smell thing...perhaps others have a guess.
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions, rubber ducky included!
    I suspected cat converter, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
    To answer your question, no, I didn't drive car hard before stopping and getting out and smelling this burned rubber thingy. Latest hypotesis is it's rubber bushing next to the muffler. Possibly, Acura used some kind of grease on this bushing, and hot water reacts with the grease with the smell as a byproduct. How 'bout that? I plan ask dealer this question at next service visit, but I don't expect much...
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    You ran over a plastic bag. Its now stuck to the bottom of your Cat converter. Its been on there so long now that it is quite dried out so for the most part it does not smell. Then along comes a rainy day and the water reactivates the plastic again, hence the odor. It happens.
  • yea i know that Acura was very fair and yes my friend will never sit in my driver seat. Also he knew he did it so he did pay the left over amount.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Posts: 290
    1.) In the winter, I've noticed that gas mileage is at least 2-4 mpg less than in the spring or fall and about 1-2 mpg less than in the summer. My theory is that a cold engine is extremely inefficient. And while the engine likes cold air, it performs well only after it is sufficiently warmed up.

2.) The shifter's locking mechanism won't let you go into "R" while the car is moving forward. However, the opposite is permissible (but not recommended), that is, going to 1st gear while moving backwards.
  • (Posted this on the general RSX forum, didn't get any response, and someone recommended posting here instead....)

I've got about 40,000 miles on my 2002 RSX, which is about when someone else mentioned getting new tires for theirs.

Any specific recommendations for the RSX (I have the base model, if it matters?) I'm in Northern Virginia, so I'd certainly want something that *can* handle snow, but that wouldn't be the defining characteristic.

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to tires - what should I be looking for, in general? Are the "stock" tires Acuras come with good? Mediocre? As bad as the stock stereo? :)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    picked up my new car tonight, and this is virtually a maintenance-free car! The oil change interval from the manufacturer is really 10K??? Being the obstinate cheapskate type, I may just follow it to the letter...

The only other thing I can see that needs regular changing is the two air filters - cabin and engine - every 30K. Methinks I like! :-)

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Any specific recommendations for the RSX (I have the base model, if it matters?) I'm in Northern Virginia, so I'd certainly want something that *can* handle snow, but that wouldn't be the defining characteristic

Click on the link on the left for "Tire rack". PLug in year and make of your car and look at reviews for tires.
    Find something that looks good and then try plugging THAT tire model into google or yahoo and add "reviews" onto the end of it.
    This will give you second opinions for the Tire Rack recommendations.

Decide after doing some research.
    The only other thing I can see that needs regular changing is the two air filters - cabin and engine - every 30K. Methinks I like! :-)

30,000 for oil filter change? Who told you that?...the dealer when you said you wanted a low maintenance car?

It's more like "change it when the oil gets changed"

My motto is "the more often you change your oil, the better off you'll be". Of course, a reasonable person isn't going to change every week, but I certainly wouldn't wait 10,000 miles to change mine either.

Look at it this way. In a perfect machine, lubrication would be constantly fresh all of the time to keep out ANY impurites that may get on the moving parts.
    Obviously, this doesn't make much sense for a car since you don't have that option.
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    you better re-read what nippon said. he said 30k for the two AIR FILTERS. he never mentioned oil filters
    no, I meant to include the oil filter change with every 10K oil change. Still, this car is mighty low maintenance, even if I double the maintenance schedule for oil changes and do it every 5K as has been my habit with every other car I have owned.

However, the "break-in" portion of the manual has a specific statement that the first oil change should not occur before 10K.

BTW, I never told anyone I wanted a "low maintenance car". But this car has even less regular maintenance than the Matrix I had before, which I already considered to be pretty low maintenance.

Either way, I can already see that any necessary expense would be worth it for this car. I put about 100 miles on it last night after picking it up, and I have never been so thrilled with a new car as with this one.

My bad. I mis-read your post about the filters.

Either way, I can already see that any necessary expense would be worth it for this car. I put about 100 miles on it last night after picking it up, and I have never been so thrilled with a new car as with this one.

I'm at 46,000 miles and am still receiving the thrills. Enjoy!
  • Wow, TireRack's a great resource! I keep having to remind myself that Edmunds' "associated business partners" or whatever you call them, are actually darn good (unlike what you see on most other sites!)
    I posted this on another forum in Town Hall, but I'll repeat it here since it's appropriate.

I had the "MIL" lamp turn on a couple weeks ago. I looked it up on the owner's manual (I think it's p. 276 or p. 267) and tried out their suggestions, such as removing the gas cap and rescrewing it. The light wouldn't go away. So I took it to my Acura dealer, they checked the code, and reset the light. All's well now.

I was told that the light sometimes goes off if air gets in the fuel tank, and sometimes it can only be reset by the dealer. That kind of sucks, b/c if my warranty was over, who knows how much it would've cost to have them reset the light. :( I'll have to make sure that the gas station attendant doesn't top off the fuel.
  • bobstbobst Posts: 1,783
    It went on in our 1999 Accord recently, so I did a web search on 'Honda Accord CEL light' and found a site with lots of very informative postings.

I read lots of sob stories about people who spent hundreds of dollars trying to get the light to turn off, but nothing would seem to work for them. There were some very frustrated people.

I talked to a good local mechanic I trust and also our Honda dealer. I got the same story - it most likely is related to the evap canister, which has no effect on the way the car runs.

The Honda has been running wonderfully. I just put a piece of black tape over the light so it would not irritate us.

I guess the light realized that we were not going to let it control our lives, so it turned off by itself. The gremlin that caused it must have gone to someone else, like you Beowolf.
    Haha, yeah, that is an annoying light. It's disconcerting at first and made me think something was amiss w/ my engine. But fortunately, it was a false alarm (albeit an annoying one at that). I guess I passed that "gremlin" to another RSX owner. :D
    Have any of you hit the 20,000-mile mark on your RSX? If so, what maintenance items did you perform on it? I read the manual and so far did the oil change, tire rotation, and wheel balance (via a local mechanic). But I didn't check hoses, etc. that the manual recommends. Is it worth it? I certainly don't want to take it to Acura to perform those seemingly insignificant tasks. Thanks.

BTW, I'm following the "severe driving" table just to be safe and not the "normal driving" table.
    also to hear what people might say...Acura is going to want a couple hundred $$ to do the 20K - they need to stay in business dontcha' know. But most of the stuff in that service seems like fluff. I figure I will just do oil/filter/tire rotation and call it a day. But then again, I don't want any arguments over warranty service should I ever need it later...

Hi everyone,
    Been out driving my RSX base, made 22,000 miles in 10 months. Lately, something new popped up: on a rainy, or just wet, day, windshield wipers are heard on the car radio, loud and clear. Same with the sunroof. Anyone encounter it yet?
    Thanks, vickat
    experienced that one...

• sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    Our RSX-S has just over 48000 miles. It is one of the first RSXs to hit the dealers.

Not a single major problem.

Minor problems - so far I've had two burnt headlights (replaced under warranty), and a couple of small rattles or ticking noises that I isolated and fixed myself. Also, mine was one of the first RSXs so it had the subwoofer problem where two of the wires were installed incorrectly and had to be switched to make the stereo sound better.

As to service - I follow the normal schedule (except I change the oil every 5K miles, not 10K miles). I select the items that need action and ask the dealer to do just those. I skip the "inspection" items from the schedule. So far it's been a very positive, trouble-free and inexpensive experience owning this car.

I expect this schedule to be adequate. FYI we had a 1990 Integra that was amazingly reliable. We had it for 12 years and 220,000 miles and the car was still running strong when I sold it. I used the same maintenance strategy for that car.

Hope this helps.
  • edberg_dcedberg_dc Posts: 23
    Has anyone had the following problem: On the driver's side seat, the leather on the the side of the seat (that keeps your torso in the sport seat) is now showing many white lines and looks quite worn. It may be due to the uncomfortable way I have to get into my car in the garage (not much room there), but it shouldn't look as worn as it does at 17,000 miles.

I know that there was a TSB for the leather coming apart near the top of the seat, but I didn't see anything for the side. Any one else experience this problem? I hope it's covered under the warranty.

Thanks, Kurt
    Thanks, that is helpful. I plan on going to my Acura dealer for my 30 kmi. service.
    I have read elsewhere that the leather seats are covered under warranty. Well, Acura will at least replace them once, but I don't know if they'll do it more than that. I've heard the same for the crappy (shatter-prone) OEM foglights.