Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 Owners

PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
We really didn't have an official "home" for F-150 owners to gather here, so grabbing the hammer and nails and a few sheets of plywood...poof... a new clubhouse!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Comments

• This is exacly what we needed. I was looking for a thread with a similar name but the closest we had was "F series problems." This is much better. Good thinking flyer!!!
  • Thanks Flyer, we needed this.
  • I just picked up a 1999 F-150 extended cab Lariat off lease with 29,000 miles for $17,200. I feel I got a great deal as the truck is mint however I am disapointed about one thing. The leather seats in this truck are terrible. Both seats have several creases that I'm sure will be cracks soon. I see myself re-covering these seats in a year or two. I will use lexol to protect them and see what happens. Other than that, the truck is great. Glad to have a thread just for F-150 owners.
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Posts: 235
    Congrats on the truck. But I would urge you to check the passanger side head gasket if you have the 5.4 L engine. On F150s made between 1998/99 the passanger side headgasket leaks. The engine is poorly machined and that is causing the gasket to blow.

Got to http://www.f150online.com Read the engine forums and there is a long [non-permissible content removed] thread about leaky head gaskets.

Good luck

• You can checkout http://www.f150world.com , http://www.ford-trucks.com , and http://www.f150online.com . These are very good sites to find useful information. Planning any modifications to your new truck?
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    my sis had a '99 exedition with the 5.4 in it, they replaced the whole engine due to this machining problem. dad had a V10 super duty, basically the 5.4 with 2 more cylinders, he also got a whole new engine. id stick with the 4.6 unless you need the extra torque.
    i have found a '97 F150 4x4 with off-road pkg, supercab, and auto. its got 65K on it, asking $16400 for it. this sounds kinda high to me, what do you all think? im thinking of offering no more than $15000. i prefer the '97's and '98's, due to their stout front end appearance. ford really made these trucks conservative looking with the front end redesign in '99. jmo. let me know on the price of this truck, and any problems with the earlier '97's with the 4.6. was it rated at 210 horse back then? i think its 231 now, but same torque i think. thx
  • 97/98's, make sure you check for door cracks at the lower corner of the windows. Also, some of the 4.6's had piston slap, depending on where they were manufactured. There is a TSB for this. I believe you're right on the 210 horse.

$16,400 does seem high...I have a 99 XLT SC ORP 4x4 5.4 auto, 3.73LS with 31k miles and dealers are only offering 16.5 trade, selling for 19k. Something below 15k would probably be more like it.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    I recently purchased a 2001 F 150 Super Crew.

I hope Ford got the machining problems corrected.

• frey44frey44 Posts: 230
    A beautiful truck !! I have been thinking about that same truck except with the smaller 4.6 Liter motor. What rearend did you end up getting ? Are those the stock tires ? Are they Firestones ??? they look great !
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    they look like bfg longtrail ta's
    you lower your super crew? nice truck, however living in iowa, i prefer 4x4.
  • rm13rm13 Posts: 46
    Frey44,
    I recently traded my Lariat 4x2 4.6 and bought the same truck with the 5.4. The power difference is substantial. In day to day, city driving the gas mileage is off about 1 mpg. On a recent road trip through the mountains, the 5.4 got about 1 mpg better than my 4.6.
    Regarding the rear ends, both trucks had 355, which I think is the only choice. The 4.6 was the limited slip. The 5.4 does not and I settled for this truck because of the financing deadline, which of course got extended after the fact. On wet road,this has not yet made a bit of difference. Let's see if I get stuck in the driveway this winter! Good Luck shopping and buy from a place that will sell or order at (or right close to) invoice.
    2 inches in the front and a little over 3 in the rear. I think it looks better and is a bit easier to get into the truck now.

I owned 4x4 trucks in my 20 & 30's, I have no need for a 4x4 now.

ryanbab hit the tires on the beads.....BFG's.

Rear gear is 3.55, seems like that is all Ford builds them with. So far 15.2 mpg is the average the truck is getting. Sometimes a bit more and less mpg is always easy too....... LOL

I've got a 2000 Silverado with a 5.3, 4x2 xtra cab truck. It does mid to high 17 mpg in the same driving as the Ford. It seems like GM only installs 3.73 gears in the 1/2 ton trucks.

Now...... you may wonder how did I end up with a GM & Ford truck?

We previously owned (traded it in to Ford) a 2000 Impala LS that gave 25 mpg. The new FWD design Impala's have an aluminum sub frame. In some of the Impala's this aluminum engine cradle makes noise. A popping, clicking noise on turns, stop & starts etc....The noise started on our car at 9,000 miles. We just missed the AZ lemon law by 4,000 miles with the Impala.

GM covered all costs to install a new updated frame in our car at 43,000 miles. A full 7,000 miles out of warranty!! 3k miles later the car started the mild, low pop noise as we backed out of our garage in the mornings. This problem noise is not a safety issue so the Fed's are not involved.

So now we own a Ford since GM does not build a similar truck to the Super Crew. We really like this Ford truck.
  • Anyone have this problem? 2300 miles and the thing feels like it is trying to find a gear - you know - - serging up and down. Makes you feel like it will stall out any minute! Took it to the dealer. Said it was a bad platinum spark plug. Too bad that replacement did not fix the problem. Got the recall info from alldata.com, hope I did not get stuck with a lemon! Anyone else have the same problem!
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    with 3.73's (pretty common) and some 4.10's. BTW....all of my GM's have had the std. 3.42's although the 3.73's seem to be showing more and more. I think for towing as it doesn't rwally affect mpg all that much.
  • dasidasi Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 02 5.4 xlt, and was curious as to what the feelings are out there as to when to make the 1st oil change.I typically take the "break in oil" out around 3500mi on a new rig. Anybody have any input?
  • I read with interest biscayne's comments on the F150 seats. I test drove a 2002 Supercrew Lariat 4WD yesterday and was really disappointed in the seats. The leather was rigid and the seat cushions were hard as a rock. In addition to being hard, the length of the cushion resembles the seats in a "foreign job." I think Ford should look at the Dodge Ram seats and think about upgrading.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    Lariat that a Friend had owned for just a few weeks. I couldn't get over how creased and worn the Driver's seat looked. About like our '96 Explorer with 35k miles on it.
    Our F150 seat have some areas where the stitching is coming apart. We will have to see what Ford has to say after 2 months of ownership.

On the flip side we like how the seats feel and the size of them. With the power drivers seat it's easy to get it where you think the seat needs to be.

Fuel mileage has come up to 16 mpg now , with almost 4k miles on the truck.

Every single 2001 or 2002 F-150 4x2 xtra cab or super crew truck we looked at here in the valley of the sun in AZ had a 3.55 rear gear. Can't speak of the 4x4 , standard cab 4x2 trucks or any of the F-250's or bigger.

A buddy has a SDuty F-250 with 5.4 and the 4.10 gears. He ordered the truck too. It's an alternative fuel vehicle that the state of AZ is helping him pay for when our elected officials passed a law to pay out rebates on alt fuel vehicles and alt fuel conversions.