Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• jefftsrjefftsr Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2004 F150 CREW FX4 IT HAS 13,000 MILES, IT PRODUCES A SIMILAR VIBRATION @ TAKE OFF. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW EASY OR HARD YOU TAKE OFF, LAST FOR ABOUT 3 SECONDS
  • hurrikenhurriken Posts: 7
    I had a Reese bug shield (2 years) and I really liked it, but my daughter banged up the front end and it broke. I get my truck back from the body shop tommorrow and they replaced it with a Lund. They tell me it looks even better. But I here Lund cost more than most. I'll let you know how I like it.

wpalkowski, thanks for the tire recommendation I will check them out.
  • mattn2mattn2 Posts: 4
    I bought my first F-150 in 1998, it was a 98 XL 4.2L V6 4 speed auto, after 5 years and 90K miles it didn't go to the shop one time.

I traded it for an 03 XL V6 4 speed auto which I had for 2 years and 30k miles, again never went to the shop once.

the 03 got traded for an 05 XLT 4.6 4 speed auto. I haven't noticed the wheel vibration on take off and I think I might be glad I didn't go for the bigger V-8. well time will tell. I like my F-150's
  • drchondrchon Posts: 3
    I have a '05 F-150 Super Crew and have had the nocking in the rear-end starting with 40 miles on the odometer. I had this "fixed" the first time, they replaced the Clutch pack. Then after 16 miles it started again. Took it back, they said they couldn't reproduce the problem, I refused to pick it up until it was fixed. They then said it was the "defective Yolk" and replaced this. After 14 miles, it started again. I am going to go back to them tomorrow and give them this info from this website to see if it can be fixed. I had a 2002 F-150 and never had 1 problem with it. I also think that I had more power than this 2005.
  • shineshine Posts: 20
    I don't do any towing just a little light snow plowing around my business. My question is how much will I lose with a 4.6. I'm not into off roading just driving to and from work. If the 5.4 is the way to go how much smaller is it them my current Dodge 2500 with a hemi? I can't see myself in a ranger but a F 150 with a smaller 8 should save me some gas. Any help appreciated.
  • I used to have an '84 F-250 with a 300 from the factory. Great truck! Would pull a house off it's foundation. It had the old borg warner 4 speed manual transmission. Wish I still Had it. Yes, it had plenty of power for moving through traffic too.
  • What are you talking about bad rotors & your vehicle vibrating. Driving through deep water with hot rotors will warp them, for example. Dont blame the manufacturer for the way you drive the vehicle...if you're driving off road. Yes, 4 wheel drive is designed for off road( my friends & family do it a lot, but we know the difference in defective products & damaged products) & we are responsible for taking care of problems that we create. We aren't looking for the free ride.
    A friend that I work with is 70 years old & he paid cash for a 2004 F-150 Lariat Super Crew that now has over 40,000 miles on it. Once in a while I ride around the job site with him & also on the highway. No vibration in his truck. He loves the 300 horses & isn't shy about putting his foot in to get around the people with their head up in the clouds.He drives 36 miles to get to work @ 70 + mph.
    Rotors are not guaranteed.....by anybody. BMW techs change rotors when they change pads. Good luck with your dodge.....or chevy.........or toy.
  • rconradrconrad Posts: 1
    Hi! I have a 1991 Ford 150 Lariat with a straight 6 engine. Recently, after purchasing the vehicle from a friend, I noticed it was sputtering and acting up when I first started pulling away from a drive or a stop. It does this alot between first and second...but gradually goes away when I get it up to 30-40 miles an hour. Thing is it doesn't do this all the time. It acts like what everyone is talking about...like an o2 sensor.Which seems to be the answer...but it acts like its fighting for oxygen or gas. Kinda acts like when you are low on gas. Also, I noticed one nite as I was coming home from work, that I would see what would happen if I changed over on tanks...and it almost acted like that because there was no fuel in the other tank. Anyway, it seems to run better or starts off better when it is cold, but once it gets warmed up its doing its thing again. Like I said before, it doesn't do this all the time!!! Anyway, I sure would like some input if you have any! Anyway, I did change the fuel filter cannister under neath the frame on the driver's side and that didn't take care of the problem. Anyway, need some advice is there another fuel filter on the engine block that I don't know about!!! Would like to hear your advice!!! Thanks!!!!
  • I had a 1985 F-150 that caused me similar problems for about 3 years. Many mechanics looked at it. One drove it for a week. My 16 year old son fixed it. Dropped the rear gas tank while I was at work and there was rust. I left that tank off and sealed off the hoses and never had another problem.
  • marv2marv2 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 F150 extended cab Harley Davidson Series.Does any one have any performance mods that they can suggest
    see message #193. I now have a lemon. I was told by the head mechanic that after putting in shims to change the pinion angle by 1.5 degrees that there is nothing that can be done to get rid of the vibration on take off. There has been a Tech. Service Bulletin on this issue. A Ford Engineer is going to take a look at this. I am going to have to get my money back on this truck through the BBB.
    I bought an '05 Supercrew. The brochure said I could play MP3's with my 6 disc in dash player. It doesn't! I finally had them replace it with one that does play MP3's and now my DVD player will not work. Any one have the same problem?
  • hurrikenhurriken Posts: 7
    Just a note on the Lund bug shield.
    I liked the way the Reese looked and was reluctant when they said they were changing the broken one for a Lund. But, I have to say the Lund looks even better. The quality seems good and the screws have rubber boots that should help protect the plastic against breaking there. I did find it tough to find a place to grab the hood when I close it but thats no big deal. I have no idea how much they cost though it was covered by insurance.
  • mcali2mcali2 Posts: 1
    I have the same thing happen .I changed the oil with after market brand and some 4 oz bottle of something not from ford, but a auto parts store. it started to chatter when i turned . i just replaced the oil and added the four oz bottle of friction stuff drove it a mile or so but i still have the same shutter .. is there something that can wear out ? if i did not use the correct additive? i drove it for 2 months and about 2k Miles b4 i changed the oil again .. my ford is a 01 f 150. note the chatter is not extremely bad but you can feel it. :confuse:
  • nmu_dozernmu_dozer Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 f150 w/ 52000 miles on it and just replaced the complete rear end :sick: My truck started to feel like it was slipping on all turns about a month prior, started out feeling like it was just slipping off of gravel to pavement, barely noticable but got progressively worse. After having it completely apart and redone, I was shown the clutch that had been wore down to approx an 1/8" from what it was originally like a 1/4" or maybe 3/8"? Anyways, after my mechanic had been calling around to find parts he began learning more and more of these trucks are having problems....solution......change your fluid every 20000 miles and add the additive to it at the same time....Hopefully this will help, cannot afford to replace another rear end.
  • andre7280andre7280 Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 F-150 5.4L with 2 wheel drive and am moving north soon. Does anyone know how a 2 wheel drive truck works in a part of the country that is covered with snow 4-6 months a year? I'm thinking of buying a 4x4 before I head up there, but they are pricey. Any help would be appreciated.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    If you don't have a limited slip rear diff, then your truck will be VERY skittish in the snow, even with a heavy load in the bed. I'd recommend a 4x4 (I swear by 'em here in NJ), but if you're not interested in spending the bucks for one, equip your 4x2 with a quality locking rear differential.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• fmgfmg Posts: 2
    i have a 89 f-150 lariet xlt. everytime i switch to the rear tank, i only get about 1/2 mile and it acts like it's out of gas, then stalls. and on the frame is a canister where 2 fuel lines enter and 1 exits. can this canister be cleaned. ? whats its purpose? any help
  • fmgfmg Posts: 2
    i've been thinking about changing the rear end in my 89 f-150 lariet xlt . it has a tow package, and i haul a rec. vehicle with it. would it be advised to change , just for better gas milage ?
  • monksmonks Posts: 1
    hi all I got an for 1989 150 XLT Lariat it has about 150k on it and is in good shape.
    the problem I have is gas millage it seem to go though my 15 gal tank like a leak.
    I get about 100 miles to perr fill up. I should be geting around 12 to 15 i think for a truck that old ?

i need any sugestions to help improve my gas millage

thanks for your time