Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• fordalfordal Posts: 2
    My 1998 F150 XL went dead today at a traffic light. Towed it to the Ford dealer and I'm waiting for diagnosis tomorrow. Hoping it's battery, alternator or something fixable. I am very, very attached to that truck, as I was to the Ford Explorer we had before we bought the truck. Never thought I would like anything as much as that Explorer, this F150 proved me wrong!
    I've read with much interest the posts on this site tonight......this truck has had it's share of problems too, rotors, brakes, calipers hanging up, ABS, sensors, fuel pump, I think I replaced the alternator a couple of years ago. All things being said, it's been (and hopefully will continue to be) a great truck, reliable and safe. I now hope it's reasonable to fix, would like to get it to 250,000 before it gets a much deserved rest. By the way, the truck has seen it's share of trailer towing too, about 3 weeks a year since we got it. Just needed a place to share thoughts and hoping this isn't an obituary!
    We also own a 04 Ford 150, though hubby uses that one. No problems with it. Still like my 98, though.............
  • i had a 2006 chevrolet duramax do that to me and it was insane, i even flipped the key of and on and it still did it
  • definatly fords man just take my edvice
  • Did anyone give you advice or solve the problem?
  • I have an 04' F-150 Crew. I too have been experiencing the vibrating when I get between 60-70 mph. Took it into the shop today and was told first it must be out of balance and then I was told I needed new tires instead. They had the nerve to tell me that 3 out of the 4 tires were BALD!!! I am a woman and let me tell you I am not STUPID. I take care of my ride and treat it like a baby and that includes mataining it according to all standards. Something is going on here and I want answers...lol...sorry....getting down from my soapbox now.
  • Have you been able to contact Ford yet ? I would be glad to exchange dealership names if that would help.
  • I have not yet contacted Ford directly. This only happened yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • The dealership we took our F-150 to is Simmons-Rockwell in Hallstead, PA. 570 - 879-5000 Last time there June 15, 2006. Managers name - Warren.
  • Trace your wiring from the selector switch before you go to the pain of dropping the fuel tank. While under the truck though replace the fiber filter in the T housing where the fuel lines from both tanks come together if it is like my 86' model.
  • did you ever get a solution to the disc brakes hanging up? Jim
  • I tried to rent an auto trailer to tow a 55 Packard Clipper today and was told that my 01 F-150 wasn't up to the job by U-Haul. The Clipper weighed in at 3900 lbs and the trailer at 2000 lbs. I have a class III hitch, 4.6L V-8, with a 3:08 rear end. Was U-Haul correct? Or was he trying to blow smoke because it was Sunday and he would have to send somebody to another store to get the trailer and I didn't have a reservation?
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    They've had some vehicles written up incorrectly in their guides before but in your case they may be correct.

Everything I see indicates your axel ratio is what's killing you. You're limited to about 2000 pounds. Ford doesn't think the 4.6 with 3.08 will handle much more than that. You would need 3.31s MINIMUM to be right at the limit where UHAUL might be willing to rent you something.

Check it out.

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/01towingguide.pdf
  • HELP HELP EMERGENCY
    Don't know if any other owners had this,but I need a repair manual just with the pages for the window track,our window slid down and the motor runs. Our town had to order the manuals and it takes a weeks time which we dont have.Ford town here doesnt cover this under warranty and I dont have 300 to 400 to shell out. Can any one help me with this,just need pics and how to. Would appreciate greatly. Thank You Mrs. Muckhog...... :cry:
  • parkyparky Posts: 20
    Anyone solve this headliner noise issue?
  • kreuzerkreuzer Posts: 122
    Can anyone tell me if Ford had both a straight 6 cyl. and V6 in the earlier F-150's? I hear others talk about the straight 6 and I'm looking at an '87 F-150 that says it has a V6. Which engine is better and why?

Also, can any of you experienced Ford owners tell me how many miles is too many when looking at an old truck with any of the Ford engines (6 or 8 cyl.)? I'm talking about from say 1986-1995.

What should I be aware of when looking at these trucks for trouble signs? I'll be using it for trips to the hardware store and getting me back and forth to work. Thanks to all!
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    My dad's 76 F100 has a str8 6, not sure when Ford switched to the V6.

Mark.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    If it's an 87, it had the straight six (300 cube/4.9 liter). The 97 was the first year of the V6 (4.2L).

kcram - Pickups Host
  • when key is turned on but not started the fuel pump kicks in but does not go off it keeps running we have changed both the relays and still cant figure it out please help
  • I don't know if anyone has helped you but, ford has only came out with an inline 4.9l 6cyl. in everything under 95'. They did come out with a V-6 in 97' and up ford F-150's.

Also, depends on the care and maintenance. I still own a 93' ford f150 and all the one's before that have lasted 250,000 to 300,000 miles.

Suspension is a must and so are the oil pumps. If you can make sure the transmission has had a flush and filter in at least once in its life. Oh yeah, one more thing... If the power steering whines, that just means its working. :-)
  • So i'm very, very interested in purchasing an F-150, but i'm not quite sure what i'm looking for. i have a feeling this might not be the place to find out, is there a place ya'll can direct me to do my research, or is there anyone willing to help me out? i'm a ford rookie, haha. thanks.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    If you are talking New, you have to decide first, how much you want to spend, and second what do you want to do with the truck.

Some basic advice, go for the 5.4L V8. Fuel econ is almost the same as the 4.6 and the performance is much better. The bigger engine is also quieter.

Try to find a 2006 left over. The only change for 07 is the addition of a mp3 input jack on the radio and the 06 has much bigger rebates.

A 4x4 XLT Supercrew with the bigger engine should be in the low $30s.

Mark.
  • thank you very muchh

chelsea
  • hi, what's the coolant capacity of a 1992 ford f150, 6 cylinder? I don't have an owner's manual. thanks
  • I have a 1992 f150 and I turn the key and the fuel pumps wont just cycle on for a few sec. they stay on and it wont start. It has fuel at the pressure regulator because i removed it and fuel came out, so i know the pumps are working. If anyone has any info. on how to fix it I would appreciate it.
  • :shades: Well have some news on the window regulators. We lost another window within a months time. So I called ford 1-800-392-3673 and told them of our situation and thought that they should make it good because more than one window should'nt come off their tracks for no reason and that this should be investigated further,also that this should be a manufactors problem. I know that this isnt covered warranty wise but we need to report these things in order to get anywhere. They told me that I first need to go to the ford dealer and get a diagnosis done to say exactly went wrong. The dealer was already aware because ford emailed them and at least of paying the whole price for repairs it only cost me 70.00 and now hopefully will get that reimbursed. Also we found out that the shifters in the center console are being recalled. So good luck :blush:
  • At 23,000 miles the ring and pinion had to be replaced. 15 months and 22,000 more miles it is out again. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,011
    A local U.S. newspaper is looking to interview buyers who recently purchased a half-ton truck and understand what factors you considered before making your purchase. If you are interested in being interviewed, please send an email to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, February 6, 2007 containing your daytime contact information.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• the back seat outlet in my '04 F150 isn't working. I'm pretty sure I blew the fuse. After looking at the owners manual I can not find anything that reffers to this outlet.

Anyone know what fuse is for this outlet.

I know it's not the same as the cigarette lighter fuse, cause it works.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    AutoObserver.com

Well-known automotive writer Michelle Krebs is the senior editor and starts the new site with an article regarding the new Tundra taking on the Big 3, "Truck Wars: Toyota Challenges Detroit Loyalty"

Be sure to give it a read!

kcram - Pickups Host
  • There has been an oil leak from the transmission or so we thought. Changed pan gasket three times. Now it seems to becoming out between transmission and tranfer case. Is there a gasket between them. The oil is draining from the transmission, fuild level decreases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.