Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Pop in to the Ford F-Series: Problems & Solutions discussion... you'll find LOTS of other F150 owners in the same boat.

kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• Hello Watts1,
    As an owner of a f150 tweo wheel drive I would recommend a f250 with 4-wheel drive with an extended warranty especially on the transmission. They are overall great trucks but hauling a horse from Mass to Vermont can be very wearing on a tranny
  • tracyntracyn Posts: 2
    JUST HAD MY O4 F-150 SUPERCAB IN THE SHOP FOR REAR-END NOISE. THE DEALER TOLD ME THEY JUST GOT A MAINTENANCE BULLETIN FROM FORD ABOUT REAR-END PROBLEMS. SO I WOULD ASK YOUR DEALER ABOUT IT. MINE NEEDS A NEW RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLY. JUST ANOTHER DAY AT THE FORD SHOP. HAVE HAD FUEL INJECTION, DRIVERS WINDOW MECHINISM, A/C UNIT, CARPET AND NOW REAR-END REPAIR AND ONLY 21,000 MILES. TRADING FOR AN 06 GM SOON AS I CAN.
  • tracyntracyn Posts: 2
    I HAVE A F-150 SUPERCAB WITH 21,000 MILES ON IT. SO FAR THEY HAVE REPLACED THE THROTTLE BODY FOR THE FUEL INJECTION, THE A/C SYSTEM, CARPET RUINED FROM A/C SYSTEM LEAK, DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW MECHANISM AND AM NOW WAITING FOR PARTS FOR THE REAR END. THINK I'D TRY SOMETHING ELSE. I'M TRADING FOR A CHEVY ALLWAYS HAD CHEVYS BEFORE AND NEVER HAD MUCH TROUBLE WITH THEM. GOOD LUCK.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,495
    Hi Tracy and welcome to the board!

Just a quick note to request that you turn your CapsLock off when posting. It makes things more difficult to read, and on the internet is usually considered shouting.

Thanks!
    kcram - Pickups Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• fred35fred35 Posts: 1
    Hey everyone, I have alot of questions to ask. so here goes. I own a '03 F 140 4X4 with a 4.2L V6. It runs great with 41,000 Miles. This engine has know power at all (on the Highway) Off road no problem. I want to replace that engine with the Lightning engine or at least the Big V8 of the Triton. I do understand that I will have to replace the Trans. and rebuild the rear end. Is this the best way to go? I love my truck and I want to keep it till it rusts to the ground. Any suggestions please E-Mail me at sailorfred17@yahoo.com.
  • dop50dop50 Posts: 162
    Well, my '89 F150 fuel problem has started again. I replaced the reservoir/selector tank as noted in my previous post. Did a fuel pressure check and the results showed nothing.
    Key on - engine off: Both tanks 12-15#
    Engine idle: 32# - Turn engine off and pressure rises to 38# Both tanks.

Truck runs fine on rear tank, front tank will run about 5 mins at idle, buzzing sound increases, fuel pressure will remain constant until buzzing escalates to a point then pressure drops to nothing and engine dies.

Note: if we switch lines at the reservoir/selector tank, then the problem moves to the opposite tank. (Front selected, but actually running on rear tank).

Talked to sevice manager at Ford, did some checking around, his suggestion:
    "It's an old truck, you don't drive it much, just run it on the one tank and don't dump a bunch more money into it."

My question now is, should I leave the front tank full, and just use it as ballast? Or should I run it out and then use one tank. It's like 60 bucks worth of gas. :)

How hard is it to change the selector switch on the dash? Maybe that's the problem. I checked for bad fuses, they seem to be alright.

Ken
  • t2b1r3t2b1r3 Posts: 4
    Hi Ken

A couple of things to check before giving up.
    Are you using the original Ford gas caps? After market caps could be a problem. Are you sure the lines to and from the reservoir are hooked up correctly?
    Only one or the other in tank pump should have power at any time, not both.
    The best manual covering both operation and diagnosis of this component is the original Ford factory manual. These are very detailed, unlike the newer manuals which no longer cover things step by step. The volume you need is as follows.

Truck Shop Manual
    Volume B
    Light Duty Truck
    E, F-150 through 350, F-Super Duty, Bronco
    Engine

These might be hard to find with eBay being one possible source.
    Factory Automanuals has the 3 volume set covering the entire truck for $65.00 plus shipping (the price of that tank of gas) and can be ordered at
    http://tinyurl.com/dpe76

This is not rocket science - I think I would find another Ford dealer!

Regards
    Art
  • t2b1r3t2b1r3 Posts: 4
    Hi Ken

Further to my message #262.
    Seems the Url for Factory Automanuals must get disabled by the moderators – just do a google search for them if you want to buy the manuals.

In your note
    “If we switch lines at the reservoir/selector tank, then the problem moves to the opposite tank. (Front selected, but actually running on rear tank).”

This is not possible unless you swapped the in-tank fuel pump power leads as well. The dash switch when in the front tank position, powers the front tank’s fuel pump, which in turn uses the pressure of the fuel from the front tank ‘s pump to position the diaphragm operated valve in the reservoir/selector to align the supply and return lines insuring the excess fuel coming from the engine fuel rail regulator is returned to the tank it came from. The fuel will always come from the tank the dash selector switch is indicating, no matter how you reverse the lines, if no one has modified the wiring. I think I would test each tank’s fuel pump static pressure before the reservoir to insure they are working. They should provide a pressure of between 2 to 4 lbs (max 5lbs) to the reservoir.
    The buzzing noise you hear could be the high pressure pump speeding up as the in-tank pump on the front tank fails to provide the necessary pressure to operate the selector valve in the reservoir, thus starving the high pressure pump. It could well idle for a few minutes after changing tanks on the fuel stored in the reservoir, as its purpose is to prevent fuel starvation when changing from one tank to the other. Sorry That I can’t simplify my explanation any further, I can see the system clearly in my head, but the keyboard can’t read my mind .

Regards
    Art
  • Hi all,

I just purchased a 2001 F 150, and I'm trying to figure out if getting this extended warranty is a good Idea. Does anyone know where I can find info about the typical lifespan and timeline of when things will start to fall apart on my truck, given routine maintenance. and low milage.
  • dop50dop50 Posts: 162
    Art,

Sorry about that statement about the problem switching with the dash switch still in the front position. I got confused because we've been trying to figure this out for several weeks. When I re-read that statement, my thought was "Idiot!, that's not right!" The problem moved the rear tank with the REAR tank selected.
    That's what's been so weird about this problem. The buzzing sound moves with it also. Sounds like the tank is sucking air when selected. I was finally able to siphon some of gas out of the front tank. Didn't get it all because I ran out of places to put it, but managed to get at least 10-12 gal out.

I still haven't ruled out the reservoir/selector tank thingy. Maybe we got a bad one. It did seem to fix the problem for a couple of tanks. Everything seems to point in that direction, just haven't decided to spend the $103 again on that. (I think I've already waited too long for it to be a warranty item)

I just mess around with the problem when I have time, I don't have to depend on it for transportation on a regular basis. I am to the point where it has become a challenge, and I figure at some point the bear will come out of the closet and I can shoot him.

Since the last time I was here, we found the fuel system relay was not where it was supposed to be, it was laying on the wheelwell, (apparently the little spade thing that holds it, had broken off.) did some playing around with it and noticed a badly corroded wire which ended up breaking off. I ended up replacing the connector and the relay. Nope, it didn't help the problem.

Regards
    Ken
  • brdtrdbrdtrd Posts: 5
    I wish I had gotten the extended warranty to 100,000 miles when I bought my 2001 f-150 supercrew new. In my opinion, I would get it. Just Google for extended vehicle warrantys on the internet. My powersteering pump went at 55k, fuel pump at 60k, and now I have a leaking head gasket and need lower ball joints at 63k. I don't abuse my truck, mostly highway to/from work and haul the usual home improvement products. So like I said, get it because you sure don't know what the previous owner did to the truck. Hope this helps.
  • Hello charliechan,

we encountered this very similiar problem on a 1978 Ford 150. I replaced everything related to fuel supply...from the line to the pump. To no avail.
    As well, the starter, alternator, and about 10 batteries. So with all of those variables solved it still died...Finally we replaced the battery cables with ones of a greater diameter and assured clean contacts and bam it hasn't had the problem since. So perhaps it is worth a shot to replace the battery cables with new ones..design to carry more than enough current (Amps)

Good Luck.

Stephen
  • Could this be an injector doing a leakdown. When truck is left to sit for awhile, the fuel line has no pressure in it. Had oil changed and it smelled of gas. Any ideas?
  • sunnesunne Posts: 3
    Any advice on how to get better mileage out of my 04 super crew,? reading the probs. here I may just put it back up for sale and buy a Chevy..! :(
  • I just bought a 2005 F150 with a factory single cd radio in it. I bought a 6 cd factory radio on E-Bay (mistake?!). When I install it I get and "initializing" message. The radio goes through what I assume is a normal routine, head goes in and out cd trays go up and down. I press the cd load button and get a "cd error". There is only plug on the wire harness for the radio although there are 2 open connectors on the back of it, the connectors are totally different so you can't plug it into the wrong spot. I am assuming I got a bad radio.
  • Hi
    I got a '00 F 150 auotmatic 4x4.
    just recently, when going up a slight incline going anywhere between 30and 55 mph it can't seem to make up it's mind on what gear to go into.
    Any help?
    Thanks
  • What color are your parts. I need a front drivers fender, a tailgate, front bumper, front grill, and headlights. I need white. How much are the pieces.
  • I also have the 04 SuperCrew. I pull a boat with it. I think the gas mileage is what I expected. If I get 18 or 19 on the highway I am happy! I made sure it had the 3.55 instead of the 3.73.
    I love my truck, it is worth every penny I put in it.
  • I own a '03 f150 that is running great. I have never brought it to be serviced, all I have done is change the oil, oil filter and transmission fluid. It has 49000 miles on it. I am thinking of bringing it in for the first time and getting it serviced. Any advice on what would be pertinent for this first service?

Thanks for any help.
    Bob