Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but reading your story makes me sick.

This is exactly why Ford and GM need to revisit their dealer relationships, and punish dealers for acting this way. You may have bought an excellent truck, that many good and honest people strived night and day to make sure was the best on the planet, but due to a $^(#&^% dealer you don't want a Ford again.

They are loosing sales due to this, and ITS NOT ABOUT THE CAR, these dealers need to be punished.
  • Can anyone help me????
    I have an 1989 Ford F-150 2 gas tanks and one does not work and I get terrible gas mileage. I have read my owners manual and I can not locate what I need to do to fix this. If anyone has any suggestions. I am a half-way mechanic and learning as I go. So please help me!!!

Thanks
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Sounds like one of your fuel pumps has died.

There's a fuel pump/fuel gauge sender unit in each tank. The switch on your dashboard selects which one to power and also cycles the diverter valve so that any unused fuel returns to the tank that it was originally pumped from.

Set the switch to the dead tank. Turn the key to "ON". Do you hear any humming from the tank for 3-5 seconds? Fuel pump needs to run to pressurize the fuel system before starting. You could have a bad selector switch, but odds are with a 17 year-old-truck it's the fuel pump.

To replace a fuel pump you have to drop the fuel tank (or take the bed off of your truck). Technically they aren't too hard to replace, but it can be a fair amount of work. You've got to pump out the tank if you're going to drop it. Dropping the tank without a lift while you under the truck is also "fun." It's still kinda heavy/awkward even when it's been emptied, and you invariably get a face full of dirt, rust and other miscellaneous stuff. It'd be wise to have a helper around just in case.

Replacement pump is ~$125. Includes pump, float, & sender unit.
    Don't Forget - No Smoking! ;)

As far as the gas mileage - when's the last time you gave the truck a tune up. As a rule they don't get very good mileage, :cry: :cry: but every little bit helps with $3 a gallon.
  • :cry: Geee...I just bought the truck in March. I don't do to much driving with it. After I bought it the whole truck just died on me. I had to replace a few things. Well I left the replacing to my husband who replace the starter, the alternator, and something else I can not recall. Well, I do not know which was the problem since he did it all at once and then started the truck up after all three things were changed. Ever since I bought this truck I have had nothing but problems. The one listed above, an electrical problem, and now the gas tank thing. Since the truck was bought with out a warenty I could not claim it as a lemon. :cry:

Well I guess my husband should look deeper into a car before buying. Since it is more his truck than mine. I have a newer SUV, well not so new anymore 98 Mercury Mountaineer.

Thank You

CarChica23
  • steve1313steve1313 Posts: 4
    My 06 F-150 SC 5.4l, 8ft bed, HD payload, 2wd, is vibrating at 60 -65 mph since I had the General Duelers rotated at 7500 mi.
    Am getting steering wheel shimmy and vib thru floor even after 2 balances and putting tires back to original position. Dealer is contacting "HotLine(?)", maybe tires or driveshaft. Tires on my 98 (Goodyears)were replaced for "out of round " at 25K and we all know about the Bridgestone/Ford thing ,so ????
    Anyone have anything similar?
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    The problem is the incorrect differential gear backlash setting. I had a Nissan truck that started making whining noises in the rear axle after about 3K miles. It would do so only under load . When foot was taken off the gas pedal, the whining noise stopped. The differential was replaced under warranty. The new one started making whining noises, but thankfully only while coasting (taking foot off the gas). Under constant power the noise disappeared. The whining noise was confined to a narrow speed range between about 45 and 55 MPH in both cases.

Why does Ford have these axle issues? The reason is simple. They probably contracted with the lowest bidder for their axles and the axle assembly is done in some third world country by untrained people who have no clue how to set up these differentials corectly. The differential gears must by carefully shimmed and adjusted to specifications and backlash must be within spec.

I know how annoying whining axles can be. The first one I had in the Nissan that was howling all the time was nearly unbearable. One thing that helps quiet a noisy axle is 80W140 weight gear oil, such as Lucas heavy duty gear lubricant. But it should only be used in warmer climates as it getsw really thick in cold weather.
  • Since May 2005 our 2004 F-150 4x4 has had a mind of it's own. Start driving, step on the brake, (cold, hot does not matter) and the truck wants to take off. Engine revs up to 4000 rpms. Must hold foot on brake while changing into nuetral and goosing the accelerator. This calms it down. Been to dealership 5 times, called Ford each time. Last dealership attached a diagnostic to vehicle for 2 weeks, but of course nothing happened in those 2 weeks. There is no specific time truck will act up !
    Therefore, Ford will not do anything because there is no proof of a problem. In the meantime, our pick-up can 'take-off' whenever it pleases. !!!!!!! Anyone else with such a problem ?
  • klaussklauss Posts: 4
    I bought a new 2006 in July and last night, I had the same experience. It has not happened today. I pressed on the brake and it wanted to go. There is also a lingering gasoline smell when I get out of the truck. Only 1000 miles too. I have not seen any similar posts to this problem and am suprised yours is up as it happened to me for the first time last night.
  • Thank you, we thought we had a ghost. Start calling Ford Customer Service and report every time it happens. It started out mild and continues to get worse.
    The last time it happened to us, I had to literally stand on the brake while the rear tires spun gravel ! Maybe we can get it fixed before someone is injured !
  • rvmontrvmont Posts: 1
    We are a fleet maintenance department that converted to Fords in the last year. So far we have 2 trucks 1-F250 & 1 F-350 that have both experienced violent shaking while driving down the freeway at any speed above 60 MPH.
    If you hit any type of bump such as the expansion joints on a bridge/overpass the whole truck starts jumping all over the road. Literally have to slow down to appx 50MPH to get it to stop.
    We took the first one to the dealer and received a 'you must be crazy' invoice for diagnostic service with no problem found. Now I can duplicate the problem almost at will by getting up to speed and hitting any type of bump in the road. I think this is extremely dangerous, and Ford is saying they have never heard of this problem.
    Anyone else experience this?
  • fordalfordal Posts: 2
    My 1998 F150 XL went dead today at a traffic light. Towed it to the Ford dealer and I'm waiting for diagnosis tomorrow. Hoping it's battery, alternator or something fixable. I am very, very attached to that truck, as I was to the Ford Explorer we had before we bought the truck. Never thought I would like anything as much as that Explorer, this F150 proved me wrong!
    I've read with much interest the posts on this site tonight......this truck has had it's share of problems too, rotors, brakes, calipers hanging up, ABS, sensors, fuel pump, I think I replaced the alternator a couple of years ago. All things being said, it's been (and hopefully will continue to be) a great truck, reliable and safe. I now hope it's reasonable to fix, would like to get it to 250,000 before it gets a much deserved rest. By the way, the truck has seen it's share of trailer towing too, about 3 weeks a year since we got it. Just needed a place to share thoughts and hoping this isn't an obituary!
    We also own a 04 Ford 150, though hubby uses that one. No problems with it. Still like my 98, though.............
  • i had a 2006 chevrolet duramax do that to me and it was insane, i even flipped the key of and on and it still did it
  • definatly fords man just take my edvice
  • Did anyone give you advice or solve the problem?
  • I have an 04' F-150 Crew. I too have been experiencing the vibrating when I get between 60-70 mph. Took it into the shop today and was told first it must be out of balance and then I was told I needed new tires instead. They had the nerve to tell me that 3 out of the 4 tires were BALD!!! I am a woman and let me tell you I am not STUPID. I take care of my ride and treat it like a baby and that includes mataining it according to all standards. Something is going on here and I want answers...lol...sorry....getting down from my soapbox now.
  • Have you been able to contact Ford yet ? I would be glad to exchange dealership names if that would help.
  • I have not yet contacted Ford directly. This only happened yesterday. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • The dealership we took our F-150 to is Simmons-Rockwell in Hallstead, PA. 570 - 879-5000 Last time there June 15, 2006. Managers name - Warren.
  • Trace your wiring from the selector switch before you go to the pain of dropping the fuel tank. While under the truck though replace the fiber filter in the T housing where the fuel lines from both tanks come together if it is like my 86' model.
  • did you ever get a solution to the disc brakes hanging up? Jim