Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-150 Owners

Comments

• The F-150 truck seats hurt my back. That is the only reason I have not bought one. I find that the Ford Windstar seats are very comfortable and the Ranger seats are not bad. But I want a full size truck, not a van. Does anyone know if F-150 seats have been successfully replaced by anyone? I don't want to buy a Ranger because I want the extra room and size that an F-150 would give me.
  • I have a 2000 F-150 extended cab flair side...I love it. However, there seems to be a short in the electrical somewhere around the dome light area. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • dwrestledwrestle Posts: 72
    Has ford already offered a F-150 with a deisel engine in the past? I was just wondering because on www.kbb.com they have the 7.3 as an option on the engine selection part, well at least on a 1993 F-150.

Any help would be nice, that engine would be sweet in an F-150.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    Think that's a typo on the part of KBB. I think that the 7.3L Powerstroke diesel only came out in '98. Prior to that it was a 6.9L Diesel, but they were only available in the 250/350 series trucks. (Jim can you corroborate?).
      I don't think that the front end of an F150 could carry the extra weight of full-sized diesel motor.
  • playerplayer Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2004 F150 Lariat with the leather trimmed captains chairs. I find these chairs to be very uncomfortable. The back side bolsters are not very big and set too far outboard causing my back to slide left and right when making turns. Also, the side bolsters on the seat is uneven. the outboard side is almost flat where the inboard side in high. This makes me feel as if the left side of the seat is lower than the right prompting me to constantly adjusting my seating position. The passenger side seat has similar problem except reversed. I also noticed irregular surface areas just beneath the leather sheathing. When I took the vehicle to Ford dealership, their explanation was that Ford made the outboard sides of the seat cushion lower to aid ease of getting out of the car. Does this make sense? Does anyone else have this problem?
  • playerplayer Posts: 2
    Just purchase an 04 F150 Lariat with the 5.4 liter 3 valves per cylinder. The engine idles rough when stopped or in park position. Took the vehicle to Ford. Their explanation was that the new 5.4 idle a bit rough due to the nature of the design of the 3 valves per cylinder configuration. Anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • shawnc2shawnc2 Posts: 12
    I have an '02 F-150 supercab flareside with the FX4 off-road package. I wanted to put a flowmaster dual exit rear exhaust on it. I saw that some of the other aftermarket catback exhaust systems require you to move or remove the spare tire (Gibson and Jeg's and I think), something I'm not willing to do. Has anyone put this on their truck? I wanted to know if you had to make any changes to the spare or if the tail pipes will clear. Also, how long do the aluminized pipes last compared to stainless steel.

Thanks.
  • todd1965todd1965 Posts: 16
    I have a 2003 F-150 SC and I placed a Flowmaster Dual Exhaust System on my truck. I think you can't put any other system on your truck, it gives that low rumble sound that everyone can hear when you start up your energy.
  • price4000price4000 Posts: 4
    I recently bought an '01 4x4 SuperCrew and have been researching some exhaust systems, as well. My question for you is: even though you love the low rumble of your FlowMaster split dual upon start-up, how loud is the internal hum/rumble at highway speeds? I hear from the installers that the usual complaint by customers is the loud, internal rumbling on the highway. Have you experienced this and just live with it, or does your cabin stay relatively quiet at all speeds?
  • price4000price4000 Posts: 4
    I recently bought an '01 4x4 SuperCrew with 29k miles. Mint. Although I've owned two V-8 Bronco's in the past and know quite well that V-8's obviously aren't the fuel efficient wonders that we wish they were, I've been a little surprised to see a city avg of 13.3 mi/gal and city/hwy avg of 15.5. For those of you with '01-'03 4x4 SuperCrews, does this fuel economy sound about right to you? Also, have any of you upgraded your air-intake systems and seen positive effects on your fuel economy since? I'm thinking about going to an aftermarket ait intake, primarily for throttle response reasons, but I hear such changes (also going with true split exhaust, etc) often result in slightly better fuel economy as well? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I have not noticed any loud sound on the highway while driving at a steady speed, the only time I can tell the difference is when I accelerate.
    I just installed a K&N Air Intake system on my 2003 4x4 SC and I think that my gas mileage has gotten worse.
  • rsblaskirsblaski Posts: 68
    Can anyone help? My son-in-law just bought a 1999 Ford F-150 Lariat. It has the cd changer (installed in the console between the seats) but it does not have a magazine in it. What brand will be compatible?
    Thanks,
    Rick
    Tell your son-in-law to go to Circuit City and they will be able to match his truck to their catolog of CD changers.
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Posts: 833
    anyone have an opinion on the new engine vs. the older one? I don't need the extra horse power, but would rather have the larger engine if it will payoff during re-sale. Is the extra $900 worth getting the bigger engine?
  • smillersmiller Posts: 32
    Hello - I bought a used 1998 4.6L F150 XLT 4X2 super cab - with 47,000 miles, three months ago. There is no rust on the outside
    that I can see. The under side looks OK- normal rust wear.
    But inside the cab on the drivers side where the emergency brake is attached there is surface rust all over the metal plate that the
    E brake pedal is attached. Is this normal?
    The inside is very clean so I do not understand why there is rust inside the cab. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank You.
    probably not a big deal
    if it's isolated to that part and not on the body I wouldn't worry about it. Unpainted cast iron just gets like that - it's usually thick enough to outlast the life of the car before any significant wear takes place.
    aspesisteve,
                   Thanks for your input- I will keep an eye on it.
    When I clean the interior I just wipe it down with a WD-40 soaked
    cloth the best I can and that helps.
    BTW- My beautiful truck is showing a 1/4 inch drivers side door crack! (next to window on the right) A LOT of 98/99 f150 owners have this defect - I would not have gone with a Ford had I known before purchase, this is my first Ford.
                 I bought an extended cab truck so my wife and two girls can fit. I had a Toyota pick-up reg. cab 4x4 - but had to sell it because it needed a rear engine seal. It ran great.
    that doesn't sound too good.
    what does Ford have to say about that?
    I here Ford has a service bulliten about it-
    I haven't had time yet to explore it further but there is a lot of talk about it. I have looked at all the F150's in my area
    (upstate NY), that I come across, work parking lot, malls,
    from 1997 on up to 99- most have the crack.
    Unbelievable to say the least-
    The truck is 6 years old and out of Ford's warranty.
    A lot of trucks with this crack started in otherwise perfect condition.
    anyone know why there is a key hole on the bumper of my '04 f150?

can't find anything on it in the owners manual.
  • cornellpinoycornellpinoy Posts: 196
    The key hole is an anti-theft measure for your spare tire. When you unlock the assembly with your key, you have access to lower the spare tire using the tools under your rear seat.

About 2 months ago, I had a flat with my '04 XLT in the rain. The sidewall was punctured so the air inflator I carry with me was of no use. And of course I was wearing a dress suit. Can't tell you how much fun I had that night.
  • I am doing a college speech on the ford/chevy debate. I have to conclude which is the better brand by the end. I have a lot of information, but I need some consumer quotes and opinions. What do y'all think of the two and where could I find quick, terrific information? Please e-mail me by this wednesday if you could. My speech is Thursday morning. Thnx!
    truckchick,

a good place to start is the 'editor reviews' here in Edmunds on the two vehicles.

I test drove the Chevy Silverado before buying my new Ford F150. I'm entitled to the GM family discount pricing, so I was obligated to at least check out the Chevy. Even with the "family" pricing, you can do better on your own using all the dealer incentives that are out there.

I probably would have chosen the ford before it's '04 make over due to a better reputation (IMO), but since Ford has totally re built the F150 for 2004, it was a slam dunk. Quieter cab, more refined, better looking (IMO), awesome cab design, where as the Chevy (GM) makes cheap tacky looking interiors.

you can quote me
    I have the single CD player but would like to add the 6 disc changer. Anyone know if there is wiring inplace for the changer? What brand it requires and where it goes?
  • ricko_49ricko_49 Posts: 1
    I recently bought a '04 FX-4, I was looking at the joints and the grease zerks all look different, does anyone know if Ford put a different style in this truck, if so were do we buy the right adapter for them? THanks
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,891
    Be sure to check out our Town Hall chat lineup for Tuesdays... First up, talk the latest in new automotive technology during the Hybrid Vehicles Chat from 12-1-6pmPT/3-4pm ET NOTE: This is a NEW time slot for this week!

Hybrid Vehicles Chat Room

Immediately following at 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET, we keep the chat party going with the Mazda Mania chat.

Mazda Mania Chat Room

The Town Hall chats are a great place to take these message board topics LIVE. Hope to see you there this week!

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I have a paper to write in class on my favorite car...that happens to be a Ford Lightning not a car. Can anyone help me out with a few good points this truck has? Like specs or what not...all I know is that its a nice looking truck and I want one.
  • mah628mah628 Posts: 1
    My son is looking at a 97 F-150 with 82000 mi . It is priced at $8000. It has a Triton v-8 and a 5 sp trans. It is 4 WD. Does anybody have any info on reliability with this model and year? All seems ok to me . Is there anything specific to look for? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • altidudealtidude Posts: 1
    Anybody know what it is? This is on a 2004 XLT supercab. The mirror is not auto-dimming, just the standard rearview. The module is mounted right behind the rearview mirror, has a button on the top and a cable coming out of it. I've looked through the owners manual and can't find anything about this little black box. Something to do with the compass perhaps?