Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot 2003 through 2005

Comments

• Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    Just an FYI though you might still be somewhat dissapointed with the Pilot's V6. What you are talking about with your Moutaineer is low end torque. You may not be very impressed with the Pilot's low end torque compared with a large V8. Maybe you should wait for the supercharged Aztek or Rendevous, they will have v8 like low end torque.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Interesting that the review said the vehicle has heated seats. Wonder if heated seats will make it into the Pilot after all, or is it just available on Canadian vehicles (a number of vehicles that have heated seats as optional in the U.S. have it standard in Canada for obvious market reasons).

Varmint, did you notice switches for heated seats in the EX's?
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    It's probably a Canadian perk that Honda refuses to let Americans have.

CR-V models in Canada get leather seats, color matched bumpers, door handles and hard spare tire cover. We don't even have them as options.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Also noticed that both the 60% and 40% portion of the second row slides forward to accommodate access to the third row. On the MDX, only the 40% portion slides forward.

This may be very important for those interested in the third row. The key question is whether or not the second row portions can be locked in the slid-forward position. That compromises second row legroom but gives third row passengers a bit more room.

On the MDX, the 40% portion can be locked in the forward position.
  • Options
    rms41rms41 Member Posts: 80
    If you enlarge the interior photo you can see the low-high heated seats switches under the A/C. I don't recall seeing them on any other photos so it does appear that this feature will only be in Canada.
  • Options
    mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    Is today (Monday, May 13th) and tomorrow in DC.
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Yes, both sides of the second row can slide forward to allow access to the third row. I didn't notice the ability to lock them in place (at least not with the seatback in an upright position).

There were no seat heaters in the EX model I "test-parked". But it was a basic EX model, not an EX-L. Still, I doubt that even the EX-L with get seat heaters. Same reasoning regarding Canada as above...

Note from the review; Single CD player.

Also, take a look at the second interior pic. The honeycomb inserts in the sides of the center console are the "plastic-y" things that were a big part of my issues with the interior.

• Options
    joepugsjoepugs Member Posts: 18
    mark189 --

Is this demo open to the public or do you have to be from a dealer?

THANKS
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I see it has that really cool ~70s steering column gear selector! :)

I do like the radio on top of the vents though.

-mike
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    <<..."couldn't accelerate to get on the freeway or pass on a grade without "flooring" the vehicle. I found the same issues when I test drove the Rendezvous while trying to get on the freeway in CA.">>

Someone should have warned you about driving GM crossover SUV's in or around Southern California. Didn't you read the warning label on the visor?

Other vehicles required by the NHTSA to bear this warning are the Ford Explorer V6, Mercedes ML320, Chevy Tahoe, Lincoln Navigator, Mitsubishi Montero, Isuzu Trooper, Land Rover Discovery, Ford Windstar, Mazda MPV, Dodge Caravan, as well as the 4 cylinder Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Mitsubishi Galant, and C Class Mercedes...to name just a few.

Let's be careful out there.
  • Options
    joepugsjoepugs Member Posts: 18
    mark189 --

Is this demo open to the public or do you have to be from a dealer?

THANKS
  • Options
    mredden1mredden1 Member Posts: 32
    It seems that Honda Canada let automotive journalists do their test drives last week because here are two more Canadian reviews.

http://www.autonet.ca/EdmontonDrive/

http://www.autonet.ca/DriverSource/

Interesting to see how well the Pilot fared on the Rick Russell designed off-road test track.

Note that prices are in Canadian $'s and Canadian EX-L purchasers will have warm buns irregardless of the weather.

• Options
    ssmintonssminton Member Posts: 155
    Couldn't agree with you more! Why do you think I drive a V8. Not only can I get on the freeway and up the Grapevine, but it gets better mileage than the V6 too.
  • Options
    sjwsmwsjwsmw Member Posts: 131
    Please take note of the wind noise. The first years of the MDX had pronounced wind noise. This turned off my wife so much, we passed on the vehicle. This issue was also in our '99 Acura TL. Honda has claimed, for both the TL and the MDX that the problem has been addressed. I would like to know if the 'decontented' Pilot will have a quiet ride.
    Also, does any of the dealers have color chips of the sagebrush?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ssmintonssminton Member Posts: 155
    Thanks for the torque info... I have never thought about it in those terms... I just know how it feels. I know I liked the Envoy when I test drove it, even though it is a V6.

I really haven't been concerned about the power of the Pilot, thinking 240HP would be OK... the toll road hill I plan to test will have the answer. What I have been concerned about is the performance of the AWD system, and how it will respond in winter mountain driving conditions.
  • Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    The engine in the Envoy is an inline or "straight" 6. My mother owns a Trailblazer, and I thought it needed a little more low end grunt. Although when pushed it certainly moves out of it's own way.

Overall she is happy with her Trailblazer, have you considered the Envoy or the TB they are very comfortable (Personally I like the olds the best, more features better warranty and looks). I can also guarantee that they will get better gas mileage than your current Mountaineer V8. Although my mom isn't impressed with her average of 18mpg in mixed driving. Her previous car was a 97 4 cyllinder Toyota.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I just got the new issue of C&D in the mail today, and there was a Pilot road test in there. It was a good write up; didn't learn anything new, however.

0-60 in 8.1 IIFC, if that matters... They did say it didn't handle quite as sharply as the MDX, due to softer springing, and higher profile tires. While they said it may well set the standard for "family" SUVs, it wasn't much fun to drive, much like family sedans aren't a whole lot of fun to drive.

Bob
  • Options
    zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    Apparently C&D says that it's not much fun to drive. Then again, it's all based on what you compare it to. We used to have a Cherokee (the old boxy one, not the JGC), and that was not much fun to drive, and even less to repair, so I'm not too worried.

For me, the fun factor in an SUV comes from the high seating position that allows you to enjoy the landscape while driving. For example, it's really awesome to drive to San Francisco in an SUV and enjoy the view from the bay bridge.

My $0.02. BTW, Anderson Honda contacted me to let me know that they're arriving soon. I'll schedule a test drive ASAP, however, no news on pricing. I'm not worried though, I'll drive as far as I have to to get a good deal.
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    Thanks for your suggestions and helpfulness guys! (or should I say "people?") The only problem I have with the CR-V is that it looks like a car aimed at teenage girls, not middle-aged men. I like the Highlander, but around here they seem to be unbearably pricey for what you get. It seems pointless when you could get a bigger, BETTER Pilot with seating for seven.
  • Options
    skipartyskiparty Member Posts: 15
    The story mentioned a temporary spare tire but was wondering if it is really a full size tire that can be left on for as long as needed.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    You have to be a Honda dealer. This is for dealers only.

As things are now, it could be a while until you get a demo at the dealerships. Pre-selling on the Pilot seems to be the order of the day.

Jerry
  • Options
    dwawindsurferdwawindsurfer Member Posts: 2
    I'm in a position to choose between ordering a Pilot EX-L with the dvd player for $32,710 (dealer guarantees this price or MSRP, whichever is lower) or keeping my deposit on a MDX base for $35,200. I'm leaning toward the MDX for three major reasons:

1) The sunroof - I drive most of the day, love the outdoors and don't mind the noise (must be from learning to drive in a TR 4a irs)
    2) The heated seats - it gets cold on powder days!
    3) The 50K Warranty - I drive 28k mile a year

I also like the fog lights, lumbar support, outside temperature gauge, compass and auto-dimming rearview mirror. The magazines also indicate that the MDX is a little sportier in its' handling and road manners, i.e. "fun to drive". I don't care about the features of the Touring model MDX; in fact from what I've read I'd rather have someone install real roof racks than get Acura's.

The Pilot offers a lower price, more storage in the center console, standard bsm and uses regular gas. The dvd player I don't really care about, but I'm going to have to get it if I order this vehicle.

The exterior styling is a wash for me. I think the MDX looks too much like a minivan, and the Pilot is too generic looking. Delivery for either one will be June or July.

I'm curious to read what others think of this asessment...
  • Options
    cmyers3cmyers3 Member Posts: 1
    TSBs can be found at http://www.alldata.com/TSB/

fedlawman - where are you getting your info?? I have a 2001 Honda Civic - 1 safety recall and 25 TSBs. The 2001 Honda Accord - no recalls and 12 TSBs. The 2001 Pontiac Aztec has 1 recall and 88 TSBs. http://www.alldata.com/TSB/49/014903GN.html

What are color options for the Pilot and should I wait to trade my CR-V in on the 2004 Pilot and let Honda work out any problems it may find with the new 2003 Model coming out this summer??? Also, I thought the pilot seats 8 - I've been seeing in here only 7 people?

• Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has TSB and recall info.

http://www.edmunds.com/products/maintguide/index.html

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    True, "fun" is determined by each person's own set of perimeters. Perhaps "sporty" would have been a better word for C&D to use?

Bob
  • Options
    mark189mark189 Member Posts: 107
    I've got a deposit on a Pilot LX. If it comes in around $26,000, that extra $9,000 (for a base MDX) would be pretty hard to justify based on your list:
    1) Sunroof
    2) Heated seats
    3) 50K Warranty
    4) Also leather which isn't available on LX
    5) Tinted windows
    All nice to have, but not worth $9,000.
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Honda added an extra headrest to the 3rd row and called it an extra person. If you've sat in an MDX, an extra 1.5 inches in the 3rd row doesn't constitute an extra person.

How much does this truck cost already. I'm glad I'm waiting for sagebrush in August, great idea that people have over 30k in hand to buy a truck they haven't driven, seen, and don't even know how much to pay for it(joking). Tell us the price already. This is not suspenseful, this is arrogant/ignorant marketing.
  • Options
    TSB's are not standardized and should not be compared by volume alone.

First of all, they are only issued if there is a fix. If a manufacturer can't fix any of their problems, zero TSBs will be issued. In contrast a company that does fix bugs will have a longer list.

Second, to the best of my knowledge, TSBs are not regulated. No one is telling each manufacturer that they have to use TSBs. It's possible that a company might decide not to issue a TSB for a problem.

There are things that you can use TSBs for once you have made your purchase, but comparing them across manufacturers or models is a mistake.
  • Options
    Don't forget the extra seatbelt, too. We all know how those VTEC emblems add hp. I'm sure that an extra headrest and seatbelt will be worth at least a few inches or passenger room. =)
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Don't forget power seats, steering wheel audio controls, homelink, trip computer, 7 speaker stereo, remote entry, security system, alloy wheels. While these are all "features" and the base vehicle is the same the spread is probably close. I imagine Honda will price the Pilot and MDX apart by a difference close to the amount/cost of features. I think is similar with the Accord and TL. However the EX gets something standard neither the LX nor MDX get...a Cargo net.
  • Options
    Wow

What Honda has done with the mid sized SUV is awesome. They will do to the SUV market what they did with the mini-van market.

A total of 73,000 will be built and made available through December..thats alot of cars for an initial roll out. Moonroof will come out in later models. Perhaps next year. Also the total build and spread of the model mix will be 10% LX's and 90% EX's.

If I was Ford or GM or D/C...I would be VERY concerned right about now.

Jerry
  • Options
    How many pilots will cut into the Oddessy market? Just swapping out one hondah customer for another? I bet 50% of the people buying the pilot would have bought or are getting out of an Oddy.

-mike
  • Options
    A few I'm sure. However, it will also take care of those folks that have walked away from the Ody (due to wait) and still keep them in the Honda fold. Move vehicles, means more customers.
  • Options
    There was a full 2 page Pilot ad today in the Toronto Star (Canada's largest daily paper). The ad was from Honda Canada and its dealer network thanking the people at the Alliston plant for designing and building the Pilot. There was a nice picture of a silver Pilot surrounded by hundreds of Alliston plant workers. It sure caught my eye. (No info on the Pilot though)
  • Options
    Jerry:

Is there anything that you noticed that wasn't mentioned elsewhere?

Also, how did your comparison drive go?
  • Options
    sailing216sailing216 Member Posts: 98
    Jerry,
    Can you compare or comment on the Leather in the Pilot and compare it to the MDX? Gracias Mijo
  • Options
    SpyponderSpyponder Member Posts: 128
    I think a more likely scenario is that the Pilot will attract Accord and CR-V owners who would otherwise have gone to Toyota, Ford or GM for a mid-sized SUV. Before the Pilot, these buyers had nowhere else to go within Honda (without a big jump upmarket to the MDX). Sure there will be a few people who choose the Pilot over the Ody. But 50% sounds like a gross over-estimation.
  • Options
    Is an Oddy, with AWD! :) Let's face it, it's not an SUV at all, just an AWD Minivan, not that an AWD Minivan is a bad thing, but that is the demographic they are shooting for. For the people who say "I won't be caught dead in a mini-van even though that is what I really need"

-mike
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    Eveybody who drives a big SUV, except for a select few (1%) who need to plow or haul a 30 foot boat, wants a mini van but doesn't want to be seen in them. Look at all those familys that use a big suv for pasenger and luggage volume, nothing else!!! They would be just as well of in a mini van, with better mileage, except they are worried about their image!

The Pilot is perfect for 99% of the SUV fans out there, it is descent on mileage and is still a LEV!!!!
  • Options
    Ditto. Paisan is one of the few who actually gives his SUV the abuse/fun that it was designed for. The Explorer, Trailblazer, and Durango are just as much minivan alternatives as the Pilot. Maybe they weren't designed that way, but that's how they get used.

Another fan of the Pilot (another forum) found about 16 Pilots at a hotel in the Baltimore area. A bunch of employees from the Aliston plant had been given the opportunity to drive them around the states as kind of a "thank you" parade. Silly, but they didn't seem to mind.
  • Options
    95% of the people out there are poussers :( It's funny though that a mini-van actually has more room than most SUVs and gets better milage, including the Oddessey.

-mike
  • Options
    There was a concept SUV from Dodge where the rear doors slide out like those on a minivan. Now that's the type of cross-over that should materialize into a production model.
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    I have seen people here talk about the Pilot's gas mileage, but does anyone have any actual numbers? I would like to see how it faces against alternatives like the Highlander, 4Runner, and CR-V.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    22 Highway 17 City
  • Options
    Comparison
    Pilot/MDX
    Height: 70.6/71.3
    Headroom (front): 41.9/38.7
    Headroom (rear): 40.9/39.0
    Headroom (3rd row): 38.9/36.3

How is it possible that the MDX is taller (wasn't the Pilot supposed to be taller?) and yet headroom is less than the Pilot's?
  • Options
    The Pilot is NOT an Odyssey rebadged...it IS an MDX rebadged. There are many differences.

Jerry
  • Options
    17/22

Jerry
  • Options
    You will start seeing ads at the end of this month. Honda is making a very large TV presence with these ads.

Roll out is 6-3-02. OFFICIAL pricing will be made public 6-2-02.

Jerry