Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's my classic worth?

Comments

• I have just purchased a 1967 ford galaxy, which I have learned has a 428 cobra jet. The body is ok, no rust a dent in a rear quarter, could use a quick body job. Underneath is amazing its been stored indoors and has been oil sprayed. Interior needs some work. What is its value?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,900
    To the best of my knowledge, a 428 Cobra Jet was not available in your car. So either you have a regular 428 FE engine or someone put a 428CJ from a later Mustang into your car.

You might tell us what the 5th letter is in your VIN. Also, is this a coupe, 4-door, convertible, and is it automatic or manual?

All this info is necessary to give some WAG or approximation of value.

• burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    If I recall the choices were:

240 Six
    390, two versions 270/315hp
    428 Thunderbird version (not Cobra)
    427 Cobra, either 1 4bbl or 2 4bbl (2 4bbl @ 425hp)

The 390 was by far the most sold option, most power for the money. The 428 wasn't much better. If it's truly an original 427, it could be worth some money. I don't recall the other options, like what trans was available with what motor, but you could get a 4 speed manual, and it may have been required with the 427, just don't remember. Maybe an enthusiast can fill us in.
    I recall they were good straight line cars, but don't try to turn hard under power.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,722
    That sounds right. I can't recall if the 352 was phased out by then or not. I am not aware of any 428 CJ sold in any year Galaxie. The normal 428 was introduced in '66 (as the '7 Litre' and also optional in the LTD I think). I don't think a 428 would give a car a huge premium - a 427 is indeed worth some money though.

I had a '66 with a 390 - 4 barrel. Very thirsty, loud, and quick for something of its age and size.
    I don't think an ordinary 428 is worth all that much. It's not a great engine, really. The CJ options did wonders for it, using parts from the 427 racing engine. I also don't have any records showing a 428CJ available in a Galaxy. There wasn't even a CJ428 available until 1968.

This engine uses the low riser heads from the 427 and has lots of other improvements. It is rated at 335HP but really dynos out at 400, so it easily outperforms a regular 428, sometimes the latter being referred to as the "boat anchor".

Of course, a regular 428 adds some value but not what you'd think. This is not to cast any aspersions on it, only to state that it's not the engine everybody wants. Buyers drive the market, not sellers or appraisers or us enthusiasts' opinions for that matter.

• It may be a 427 would that make it worth something? Just bought it 2 days ago and all my dads buddys heard about it and one ford guy came and took a look and told my dad it was a 427. So it one or the other and i need to run the vin. Should i get the engine code off the motor and get the vin and post it here? its a 2 door hard top, auto
    Just post digit #5 of the VIN, not the whole vin. It's a letter not a number.

If it's an automotic, it's not a 427. They only came with manual transmissions. Your "ford guy" isn't too sharp there, unless someone plunked a real 427 into it---mating that to an automatic wouldn't be a very good idea however, unless the automatic was specialty built.

so what's the letter code?

I'd think a 428 in a Galaxie would be just seen as the big block, but no real performance aspirations.

Speaking of these big blocks, I once knew of a Mustang fastback with a 429 languishing behind a house.
    Oh a 429 Z code...that would be a Boss. That's valuable.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,583
    Was the 429 Ford's take on the Hemi?
    I remember the car had a 'Super Cobra Jet' emblem on it. The car looked like it had been parked for some time, and might have been doped up in the 70s as I want to say there was some weird small mural painted on it. I haven't been to the area where it was parked in years, but I am sure it is gone now.
  • Well I just talked too my dad he say's hes pretty sure its a 428cj, Apparently you could get it as an option in 67. The cars at my dads shop ill go sat morning and get the vin and post it. The whole thing is I bought this car for a $1,000. off some import guy that didnt know a thing bout it. My whole deal is i have a 70 monte stripped and waitin for paint but im 21 and in automotive school and have no money. Im just tryin to figure out what i can flip this for even though i dont really want too. But i cant afford to insure all the toy's i have. LOL. Plus The sooner I get the monte done the sooner I finally have something to show off.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,583
    If there's any way you could take and post some pics, you've got a lot of curiousl guys here. Good luck with it!
    The CJ428 wasn't even introduced until the middle of 1968, so there goes that theory.

You can't have a stock CJ 428 in a 1967 Galaxy, sorry.

You can have a 428 as an option, but it's not a CJ 428. That's a very special engine with different heads, cam, manifold, etc.

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    Ford had 427, 428, and 429 V8s all at the same time? :confuse:
    Yes in 1968 for sure they did, but not available in the same models.

• Ill Get some pics this weekend, the vin is: 7B55C18661
  • ">link titleHow do you post pics?
    1st position is year (7 = 1967) 2nd position is plant (B = Oakville ON) . 3rd and 4th are body series (55 = Galaxie 500 fastback) 5th position is the engine code (C = 289). The rest is the serial number.

To post pics, they must be hosted online, best bets are imageshack, photobucket, etc, there are many free hosting services
    In addition to fintail's excellent suggestion, you can also open your own Carspace page (gives you photo posting, e-mail, blog, etc.) and link from there as well. Go to www.carspace.com

VALUE: If we assume this is a 55C Galaxy 2D HT, in about a low #4 condition, I would think $2,500 is about the right number. Haven't seen it, so if the body is really rough and the interior is really rough, the value might be somewhat lower. If it's in reality a little nicer than you described, perhaps $3,000.

It's not a car someone is likely to restore, but rather to rod with a bigger engine....so basically a project car here.

• well theres definatly a 427 or a 428 in it now, some one changed it. apparently in 67 you could order the car with a 427 in it
  • for those of you who dont believe me take a look at this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Galaxie#1965-1967
    Yes, in 67 you could order a 427 or 428. Someone could have put either in it - almost certainly a 428 rather than a 427 - a 427 has always been worth too much for such a mundane application (and I am not bashing your car - I once had a similar car). But what 428 is the question.

The problem is, if the engine isn't original, it doesn't add much collector value.
    How did anyone identify it as a 428? All FE big blocks look very much the same. Did they read an engine tag? Otherwise they'd need a casting number or they could take a dowel and measure the stroke of the engine from #1 piston hole. Was this done?

A regular 428 doesn't really change the value very much. As was mentioned, this was not a highly regarded engine until engineers breathed all over it and made it into a 428CJ.

There may be an engine tag attached to the bolts holding the ignition coil. That'll tell you. Here's what they look like:

http://www.fordification.com/engineIDtags.htm

A 427 engine is extremely rare. As far as I know, all of them have been bought up by engine builders. Now people are making new castings, as the supply is gone. They could be worth up to $20,000 each. Doesn't seem likely that someone would put that $$$ an engine into an old car.

• I wen't to a small town dealer here in town to look at a 1972 Chevelle he had listed the Chevelle needed to much work besides the fact it had a 454ci engine with a glass pack! and roll cage. but there was a 1994 Ford F150 Flare side in perfect condition not even one scratch it has what looks like brand new flowmasters and four wheel drive and a auto trans i think it has a 5.0 v8? not sure its a nice truck though red no off road tires though.so much u think its worth?
    Hi,

Well this topic is really just for 'classics', so I'd refer you elsewhere for pricing on a '94 truck.

You could check here (see below) at the Edmunds True Market Value software for the more modern used cars and trucks. Do the custom appraisal, where you plug in miles and condition, etc.:

Here's the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/index.html

• parmparm Posts: 723
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FRESH-FRAME-OFF-RESTORATION-400HP-PDB-PS-CONVERTI- BLE_W0QQitemZ190174078633QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6169QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie- wItem

I'd be interested to get comments as to the value of this '63 Impala SS convertible. To be sure, it's not "stock" which makes wonder if it's even a real SS. I like the fact that it's a 409 4-speed. But, it doesn't appear the engine is the one the car was born with - which suggests that it may not have been an original 4-speed either. The upholstery and door panels are not stock - but they doesn't look bad either. Actually, the seats look more comfortable than stock and look pretty good to my eye.

I love the color, wheels and stance of this car. When you factor in that it's also a convertible, 4-speed, 409 then you have the whole package. Just not sure what "flavor". The car looks like its been detailed on top and on the bottom which should be worth something too.

Perhaps this car can best be described by the eventual owner as "Yeah, I know it's not stock, but it's cool and makes me happy". So, how do you put a price on that?
    The seller wants $36,500, but given the "offer" format of this sale, he might take less. Since we don't know what we have here, how do you value it?

BTW, didn't know if this should be put in its own thread or not.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,973
    I'd be curious to see what that one goes for. My Dad had a '63 Impala SS back in the day. Bought it in 1965 I think. It was just a hardtop, but was black like that one. Had a 409/4-speed, but it had the high-output 425 hp 409.

Dad didn't have it long, because he got drafted soon after and ended up selling it!
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    1963 is my favorite year for the Impala. GM had finally gotten over the annus horribilis that were the 1958-61 models, 1962 was a bit awkward, '64 was bit too plain, and '65 and up devolved into bloated faux luxobarges. As for value, the ad seems to indicate that its a clone with some upgrades (better seats, dual master cylinder, disk brakes etc.), so I guess you ask yourself how much you're willing to spend for a brand-new '63 409, 4-speed convertible?

The wheels need to go; they belong on a '69 Camaro SS clone.
  • parmparm Posts: 723
    Bumpy,

I agree totally with your styling assessment of the Impalas of the early to mid 60's. The 1963 is my favorite year too. Though, I have to admit, I am also rather partial to the '67-'70 body styles. And, I'm a sucker for American Racing Torque-Thrust wheels - which is what those are - or, they're very close.

The seller has provided the body ID tag numbers. Does anyone out there have their secret decoder ring handy? If so, I'd be interested to know what this car was when it rolled off the assembly line.

Also, if you wanted to add cruise control to a car like that, is there a slick way to do it? The only cruise control systems I've seen for a car not originally fitted with CC is one where the interior control is a dorky looking thing that fits on the turn signal stalk - right out of the JC Whitney catalog. Looks totally lame. I doubt if CC was even an option on a '63 Impala. But, even if it was and you could find one in a salvage yard (or Ebay), I don't think I'd trust it today. Surely, there has to be a reliable CC system available today with an inconspicuous control.
This discussion has been closed.