Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diesel engines, which is better: Ford, Dodge, Chevy

• we love our ' the 100,000 mile warranty is nice. The plus is you can get what you want too...(don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against manuals - drive one myself)...I was just saying that they seem few and far between on new lots, making them harder to find on used ones too. Best of luck.

• bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Used some guys up here thru my credit union...i told them this is what i want, FIND IT lol and they did :)
  • CitizensFirst has that option too in Oshkosh, or maybe that's where you went through. Kinda nice when they can get you what you need without a problem.
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    The only manual trans pickups I have seen on a dealer's lot in the last 5 years were the ones I had special ordered.

Dealers make more money on high optioned trucks, so they don't order manual trans unless it is already sold.

Mike L
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    and see if you see anything.

It's a diesel. Small, fuel-efficient, reliable. Got a 5-speed manual transmission, air, sliding rear window and a bed liner.

It also gets 55 highway mpg and shows 275,000 original engine/0 overhaul miles on the clock.

I got fifty bucks says y'all got no clue.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    id guess its the VW pickup with the diesel in it. question is am i right???
    ...........the same outfit that built the Japanese Zero fighter plane in WWII?
    Yes, Mitsubishi built the Zero. And also (several wars later) produced a small diesel pickup.
  • Clearly each of the five trucks is an awsome pulling machine.

Great set of tests, but acceleration is only a single criteria for measuring the suitability of a truck. Since my truck mostly pulls a 5th-wheel RV, I'd like to see a real world test which would be pulling that load at legal speeds over about a 500 mile course of typical highway types (flatland and hilly) and reporting the fuel mileage.

• cspauldingcspaulding Posts: 159
    been less than impressed with Ford's new diesel? Hubby test drove one and prefers our '02 PSD over the new 6.0 - said it was good after you got it over 2000 rpms, but seemed to take a little to get going. Anyone have one that has a better feel of the truck? - Thanks
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    I heard that Ford might offer a diesel in the Expedition since the Excursion is going out of production? Anyone in the know?
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    I was told that Ford and Navistar was working on a Baby Powerstroke V-6, somewhere in the 4.5 liter range. I have heard since then the project was scrapped, reason unknown to me. It stands to reason if a Baby 'Stroke is being developed for the F-150, then the Expedition is a logical choice.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,948
    If Ford beats Chevy to building a small diesel engine I will switch in a heartbeat.
  • jaijayjaijay Posts: 162
    Wpalkowski, interesting article although from what I have been reading from the (formely known as indicates that many owners are having trouble after having a few thousand miles put on them. Problems with stalling, injector failure and oil leaks.
  • What would be the point of a small diesel? Diesel is good for work, and who would want "small" work?
  • natescapenatescape Posts: 176
    black_silver, the point of a small diesel engine: efficiency. I get 48 MPG in my VW Passat TDI. I'd KILL for a small SUV or minivan with a diesel engine that got 35+ MPG. :)
    .......'cept old Mitsu (DodgeRam50, Isuzu and VW. Dated technology but hey, wouldn't y'all like to turn in 50+ highway MPG? Sheeet, ah don't haul all THAT much! Looks like we've come full circle.
    I say build it.....I been saving my Naval Reserve pay a long time (that means I'd buy one pronto)
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,948
    In July 1999 I talked to two young men that had just driven a Ford Ranger four door pickup from the tip of South America to Prudhoe Bay Alaska. They averaged 46 MPG. This truck is built in Brazil by Ford. With that kind of mileage I could work less and make more MONEY. When I showed the pictures to a large Ford dealer in San Diego he was speechless. He had told me no such vehicle existed.
  • jt33jabjt33jab Posts: 2
    any one hear about jeep puting a diesel in the liberty?
  • natescapenatescape Posts: 176
    The diesel Liberty is supposed to come out in limited production (5k units) this year.
This discussion has been closed.
Diesel engines, which is better: Ford, Dodge, Chevy - Page 7 - Car Forums at