Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    "A two-door Land Rover Range Rover shown this week at Detroit's auto show is the forerunner of a new architecture that will spawn at least two new Land Rover models. The Range Stormer concept was introduced as a "high-performance SUV" riding on 22-inch wheels and sporting a supercharged V8. The concept is unmistakably Land Rover -- and the two-door treatment a reminder of the original Range Rover when it was introduced in 1970, only in the concept the doors open like a penknife. A two-door model in production may be forthcoming, but the chassis is a certainty -- the new Range Rover Sport and the next-generation Discovery will use the running gear when they are introduced in 2005."

Source: Edmunds.com SUVs newsletter

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi, I am in the market for a SUV? I have to say that initially I was positive that I would purchase the '04RR this year. However, after doing some research on the net about it, I am no longer sure. Many reports on the RR say it has quality issues. Have any of you found this to be true? I have been reading up on this discussion and it seems that there are lot of body issues with the RR, which leads me to my next question.
    In doing comparisons with the RR's competitors, other than the Mercedes G-Class (not interested), the RR's price is significantly higher?
    For those of you RR owners, have you found it to be worth the money?
    If you could do it all over again, would you have purchased your RR?
    Thanks.
  • The things you've researched I was also concerned about.....I waited to buy an 04 in Sept. of this year. The only problem I've had is a sqeaking drivers window which dealer has fixed. About 2k of my mileage is from severe off road stuff in Colorado and New Mexico Rockies.....so a squeaking window is not that big of a deal. The other stuff that has been spoken about has been caught by the May 03 build date. If you can afford....there's just not another SUV or car out there that can compare....regardless of what you use it for.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    ...never say never....BUT I think all the quality issures (and there were only really one or two) have been fixed. I have an '03 and an '04 and the only changes I've noticed have been some minor adjustments to the SatNav and radio. My only quality isse was the "stuck" steering column adjustment on the '03 which was fixed in no time. Most importantly, they both are vault solid with no rattles!
  • dodindodin Posts: 5
    I've had my RR 04 for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any of the noises, etc mentioned on this board and I'm listening for them. So far VERY happy. In city and up the mt for skiing....
  • I've had my '03 RR for just a month and I love it. I had that warning in the message center also. The trans wouldn't go into sport mode either but otherwise operated ok. I drove it that way for about 15 miles to my house and shut it off and the warning hasn't re-appeared and sport mode works fine. I called the dealer and he said to drive it and see if it happens again... Any updates/observations would be welcome.
    Also, I noticed mine running rough at idle with the brake applied but it smoothes out nicely as soon as I take my foot off the brake. Any Ideas?
  • I am looking to buy either the RR or the Porsche Cayenne S. Anyone have any comparative experience on these 2 fine vehicles? The RR looks so much more elegant, but the Cayenne seems so much fun and quicker...
  • I have a 2003 Oxford Edition Range Rover, and ever since around November, straight through till now, we've had problems with the steering wheel squeaking while being turned. We took it to the dealership and they fixed it, but now that it's winter, the problems have started again. Granted, we keep the car outside, and as I speak it's about 10 degrees out there (live in Jersey), but annoyances like this should not occur on a 70000 dollar vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions?
    I think the rough idle issue has been addressed in a service bulletin... refer it to the dealer. I think they adjust the idle speed upward a fraction and this solves it.
    The steering wheel squeak is also in a service bulletin.... but maybe the cold weather is making some of the plastic in the column support area brittle.
    RR or Cayenne... I think both have excellent attributes...but over the long term I think the RR has a more compliant ride. All the reviews of the Toureg and Cayenne point to the harsh ride as being a negative. After that I think it boils down to which one "looks" better for you...the razor redged RR or the guppy face Cayenne (no bias here!)
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    Hey all, i am just looking around...been very interested in RR, but scared of quality issues.

Keep the updates coming from current owners please!

BTW, does the navigation system use DVD or CD-ROM for 2004?? Can you order a RR withOUT navigation??

Thanks.
    2004 still has the CD based system. There are a few software updates from my 2003, but the nav system is not the RR's strong point. There is no delete option.... but most nav systems (Honda excepted) are somewhat tricky, however, it will get you there if you need it!
  • dodindodin Posts: 5
    The nav comes standard.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    I may be coming back to the Range Rover fold. I had one before my 01 X5 that's about to go off lease. My old Range Rover was a great vehicle, I was one of those somewhat rare Rover owners that kept it way past the 100k mark (160k miles).

Cayenne or Range Rover - I'm a Porsche fan as well, this will be an interesting choice. Another SUV I like a lot is the VW Touareg, it's interior design, material quality, fit and finish isn't too far off the Range Rover's at all, it's very nearly equal.
    Here is the opening text of the Service Bulletin regarding the Steering Column Squeak: Contact your dealer for full text and resolution.

Steering Column Cowl Rub
    No: 76/22/03/NAS
    Ref:
    Issue: 1
    Date: 12/05/03
    AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
    New Range Rover (LM) All
    SITUATION:
    STEERING COLUMN COWL CONTACTS THE STEERING WHEEL
    The column cover may have been incorrectly installed during a repair procedure permitting contact with the steering wheel and causing a rubbing noise. The information in the current RAVE Workshop Manual is incomplete and does not indicate all required steps.
    RESOLUTION:
    REPOSITION THE COWL FOR CORRECT CLEARANCE
    Should a customer express concern regarding the above, follow the rectification procedure outlined in
    this bulletin.
  • intmed99intmed99 Posts: 485
    What production month should one get a Range Rover that has all the "fixes"??

Thanks.
  • I'm another one considering these 2 to replace my 2000 BMW 528i.
    I believe all the "kinks" have been resolved. All manufacturers progressively improve their cars and update items as and when a problem arises.
    I have a 2003 and a 2004 RR, and I had maybe one or two small issues with the 2003 and none with the 2004. Aside from improvements to the radio and nav software, there are no other noticeable differences. If you get a late 2003 or a 2004 I think you'll be OK.
    You might want to check out the upgraded luxury package ($5000) on the 2004... the seats are awesome, and there is leather on the doors and upper dashboard.
    I subscribed to a RR technical service bulletin update, and there have been very few new items since October of last year.
  • jalivjaliv Posts: 5
    Does anyone experience an almost continuous creaking from the left and right side wood dash areas of the 2003? Mine, for lack of a better explanation can be caused to creak by simply veering left and right on the steering wheel, or driving down washboard roads. The dealership has tried to rectify to no avail. Living in a northern climate a majority of the noise I had attributed to expansion due to the heater.

Many Thanks
  • ak103ak103 Posts: 11
    Since this hasn't been answered yet and some people have asked, I'll go into it a bit (slightly long).

The RR is a full size SUV, the Cayenne more or less is midsize. The Cayenne is more of a sport oriented SUV, still has touches of luxury but the suspension is harsher than the RR (which can be described as smooth, slightly bouncy). Granted the RR isn't a bad handling vehicle, just the Cayenne is better. The RR has nice throttle response for its size, but still not anywhere close to the Cayenne S (talking 8.9-9.0sec to 60 vs. around 7.1-7.2sec for the Cayenne).

Now the subjective part, I think the RR is an infinitely better looking vehicle. Has a more classic, stately, and prestigious appearance to it. The RR is also more exclusive. With the introduction of the Cayenne V6 (bases at $43k), the Cayenne is destined to become a very common vehicle....just like the X5. Granted, the Cayenne Turbo has a slightly more unique look to it(different hood and bumper, red calipers, rear valence) but overall to most peoples eyes they all look the same. So it takes minimum $43k to get into a Cayenne and still takes $72k to get into a RR.

As far as the interiors are concerned, I like both the Cayenne and RR...but some things about the Cayenne's gut just strike me as a tad low rent.

Both vehicles Nav systems are not the easiest and are CD based.

So I would say.....If you're looking for more of a luxury ship with classic charm take a hard look at the RR. On the other hand, if you want a little sport in your SUV (steering wheel mounted shift buttons) and welcome the slightly smaller overall size take a look at the Cayenne.