Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• Yep, we noticed our steering was hard to do and there was a loud clunk when we shifted gears. It took me 4 visits to the dealer before they admitted that the front differential and front axels were bad. After they replaced that, the steering column would not telescope any more, so they replaced that. After that we could hardly steer it as the steering box was stiff and jerky. So another visit to get a new steering box. I have driven more Hertz SUVs than I have my RR in the last couple of years.
  • I previously has a Lincoln Nav (1998) and did far more offroad work with it than I have ever done with the RR (I have taken the RR offroad about 500 yards total to survey a house lot once on a graded lot). I have taken my Navigator over alot of passes in Colorado that makes Jeep owners shudder. In my 4 years with the Navigator, I replaced the brakes twice in 72k miles and had one update to the radio.

I asked my son who does off road driving in his SUV if he wanted to go into the back country of Colorado with me in the RR. He looked at me and said "are you crazy, we would never get back out".

We are dumping this heap as soon as we find a repalcement.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Has anybody had good service from a RR?
  • I certainly have. 7k miles on my Java Black/Sand 2004 Rangie. Bulletproof, bank-vault solid, flawless. Along with my 2001 Porsche Boxster, the best car I've ever owned.

YoungTurk
  • I have been shopping for an SUV recently and the Range Rover certainly is appealing. It is very handsome and not a "mommy" car.
    I am concerned about build quality and reputation and have good reason considering I owned a 1996 Range Rover 4.0 which was a total disaster. I bought into the whole prestige factor and "best 4x4 by far" marketing back then and paid dearly for it in repair costs and time out of service.
    I was hoping things had changed with the BMW/Ford factor, but after reading some posts here, it looks like business as usual...so I can't understand how people are willing to pay $65-80K for these rolling mechanical tragedies.
    Sure, some people have had good experiences...namely the ones who have recently bought and haven't given their RR's a chance to break down on them by garaging them.
    Consider this....go to the Edmunds.com site and do a side by side comparison of the current RR and the V8 VW Touareg. It is truly amazing how similar in specs and features these 2 are. Granted the RR is slightly better off road, but if you don't plan on risking getting broken down in Anza Borrego, the VW might be the best choice...besides, what kind of prestige is there in constantly driving a Disco loaner? That is if your dealership offers a loaner at all.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    I have a 2003 and a 2004 RR... BOTH have also been bulletproof. Two minor TSB items: replaced electric steering column replacement gear on the '03 and an a/c-blower motor fix to prevent the battery from running down on the '04. Other than that... great on road, AWESOME off road... beautiful build and excellent quality. I think the past few messages simply bought out the few lemons!
  • My 2003 RR now has 15K miles on it. It had the steering column motor replaced when I bought it 15 months ago, and the check engine light came on once, which was fixed by the dealer in less than a day, without replacing any parts. I've had about 50 vehicles in my life, and this is the best one so far.
    Here is a link to info about the 2005 RR.
    DVD nav with touch screen and a movable cam. which can be placed anwhere on or near the car. Click on the pics for a larger view of the new nav screen. NOTE: the leather top dash still appears on this UK spec 2005.
    LINK: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/?news/ae_news_story.php?id=50263
  • Hi Guys

Do you know if its possible to retrofit the nav system on the 05 to the o4. I realy wanted the dvd nav

thx

james
    Ok, but go look at the Trouble board for the Touareg, and you'll see just as much, if not more tragedy from VW. I hardly would consider VW as a solution to the Rover reputation.....
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    Unfortunately a retrofit is not possible.
  • I have an 04' RR and I wonder what the 4 items are next to the rear seat grab handles. Two are by the handles and 2 are in the rear section in the back on each side. There is no mention of the in the owners manual. Pleae help.
    Hooks for the "dog screen" in 4 seat position and with rear seats folded.
  • Reading about the Touareg on other forums (which shall remain nameless) is enough to put one off VW forever. Large numbers of battery failures, lots of lemon law buy backs (at least VW will do it). The quality of service seems to be very spotty; some dealers have not a clue how to deal with these vehicles.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    I previously owned a 2000 GTI. I will not consider another VW, particularly the Touareg. If VW could not properly design, build nor repair my GTI, I have my doubts about the far more complicated Touareg. YMMV.
  • 2005 Range Rovers are starting to arrive at LR dealerships - LR Dallas has a Black/Sand that's not spoken for. No details about pricing etc.

Is the rear-seat DVD system entertainment system now standard? Is it the same system that can be installed as a dealer-option on '04 or '03 models?

Thanks,

YoungTurk
    '04 Java Black/Sand
    The 03-04 DVD system is not compatable with the 05 MY vehicle. There should be an accessory kit available around the first of the year.
  • Tincup - is the rear-seat DVD entertainment system standard or an option on the '05's? If an option, is it dealer or factory-installed?

YoungTurk
    '04 Java Black/Sand
    There will initially only be the dealer installed accessory. The factory installed option will be later, but I do not have an introduction date.
  • Tincup - is the rear-seat DVD entertainment system standard or an option on the '05's? If an option, is it dealer or factory-installed?

YoungTurk
    '04 Java Black/Sand
    Right now it isn't available. I would imagine it will be an option. Options are factory installed, if it is dealer installed it is an accessory. Land Rover does not have dealer installed options.
  • jpnalajpnala Posts: 6
    I traded my 2003 for an 05. The differences are a touch screen voice activated nav and stereo that is superior to the old bmw system. It memorizes 2 user voices. The side mirrors are different and the cargo cover has an integrated pull up dog guard/cargo net. The only options are 20" wheels and the lux seat package. I got the seats and the leather and adjustability are superior to my 03.The seats are 5000 extra but my 03 heated seat/ski bag option was 1500 and that is included so the effective price is 3500. The sticker increase was only 700 more than the 04. My only complaint with the 03 was the nav so I am very happy. There is no rear dvd option but as before the dealers can out source that for @ 2500.
    Was the leather top dash continued on the 05 Luxury package?
  • I read an article in a Spain newspaper that the DVD Rear seat monitors were standard in the European market...and actually saw pictures of the headrest monitors in the article...I would have to search to find it again if anyone is interested but I am crossing my fingers for that standard or option, I think it is worth it, they looked really good.
    the leather dash is in mine and does not squeak or rattle however the dealer (atlanta) told me they are using up the last of the stock and are returning to composite and if mine becomes a problem it will be replaced with composite. Also, the radio is Sirius ready and has excellant controls. We went on a 500 mile trip this weekend and were very pleased. The michelins ride much quieter than the good year garbage
  • As the owner of two lexus vehicles I have been become somewhat "spoiled" by their reliability. My current rides are both 04's one an LS430 and and GX470. I am trading the LS for a new 05 LS and am considering trading the GX for a 05 RR. I absolutely love the style and ride of this premium SUV, but question the reliability and future resale value, I have a history of trading every 18 months on average, which has been easy to do with Lexus' high resale values. Any thoughts on this from current RR owners.
    But If you're used to Lexus reliability and non-maintenance, you're probably gonna be disappointed with anything European.
  • schebscheb Posts: 5
    Did Rover switch to Michelins or did you get the larger tire wheel size?

Thanks
    They are the standard 255-55-19. Rover has switched thank god. The good years are terrible
  • dodydody Posts: 2
    I want to buy a new SUV and want to use it as a daily car. what about Range Rover as a car for daily use. I know the LX470 but I'm interested in the new Range Rover. and what about the Range Rover reliability mentioned by some users. I'm hesitated between those two cars please advice.