Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Land Rover Range Rover

Comments

• daneddaned Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2000 RR and would like some feedback on annual maint. expenses. What should a rover owner expect to pay in annual repairs for this year vehicle.
  • horenhoren Posts: 2
    tried turning AC on. unfortunately the vibration still exists. i agree, aside from this flaw, it's a great car. do you feel your wheel and seat vibrate when stopped at a light? mine does. you can even feel it in the passenger seat. i've never experienced a brand new car doing this.
  • docmeyerdocmeyer Posts: 6
    Well I never made it to the auction and the dealer has it again, asking a quaint $10,500 certainly negotiable. I bet I can get it under $9K...

Any advice?

~d
  • I hate to post this, but after less than two months my 2003 Range Rover has turned out to be a nightmare. It has been in the shop for 3 weeks now, major electrical system failures including Air suspension system failure, Navigation system failure, won't start, etc. (supposedly caused by a leak in the sunroof drain? - hows that for a vehicle supposedly built to withstand anything?). Land Rover has been totally unresponsive and hasn't responed to any correspondence to date. If you are considering this vehicle/model, I suggest that you think twice. Even the 2003 RR Loaner that they gave me (after 2 weeks of a Freelander) seems to have electrical problems...
  • suvinlasuvinla Posts: 24
    Hi ... leaning more toward a used Discovery (aieee) but want to consider a mid-90s Range Rover in the mix too. Opinions one way or the other, and years to rule out or rule in?

Thanks.
  • Ccexxp1Ccexxp1 Posts: 11
    Aren't there "lemon Laws" where you live? Is the dealer trying, or, are they giving you a run around? I have previously owned 2 (90 and 96) the 90 was great, 96 a nightmare, and am considering an 03...BUT, maybe not, since the Lexus GX 470 is sooo much cheaper with less complaints! Thanks, and best wishes...cc
  • outriggeroutrigger Posts: 40
    I found out recently that there are currently more than 280 parts that are not available, and some of those parts don't even have a vendor making them yet! WOW!

I asked someone in their organization who would know about this, and got a "yes, there is a parts issue" response.

Maybe that's why your '03 RR is having an extended stay at its service dept.
  • laure1laure1 Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a '99 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. I found one today that's got a "Black Tie Edition" emblem on it. I can't find any information on this edition. Does anyone know anything about it?

Thanks--

Laure
  • twantwan Posts: 4
    I am about to take my 2000RR to the dealership to have my Navigation System replaced. I was told that the dealer are having problem replacing/finding the system. What they have suggested was to replace it with an entirely new Navigation System that will required to rewire the entire vehicle from front to back. Any suggestions or have anyone else have the same situation.
  • It sounds like this may be a dealer specific edition. I would call your local dealer see if they recognize the package. Dealers will sometimes add popular options to a base model and then price the vehicle below the next factory level. A base with SE options could be marketed as a special package or a limited edition.

I have seen the term "black-tie edition" used to describe a two-tone black-and-silver paint job. What color is this truck?
  • laure1laure1 Posts: 2
    The RR is all black with the lightstone interior. I can't find anything special about it. I did notice that there is no "4.6 HSE" label on the rear. One dealer told me they'd never heard of a Black Tie Edition, and another told me it was black-on-black 4.6 HSE. Hmmm....
  • pgibian1pgibian1 Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a late model used Range Rover. What years should I focus on and what years to avoid? Are there any particular features that I should want or are there some that are probelms?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Paul
  • outriggeroutrigger Posts: 40
    I've had 2 RR so far. A 1997 that I kept 4 years and a 99 that I've had 1 year.

There aren't any features to look for. Everything is standard except trim upgrades on 50th anniv. or Kensingtons.

One piece of advise. NEVER, NEVER buy a late model used RR that has less than 6-9 months warranty remaining. My local Land Rover service dept. did over $6,000 in warranty repairs on mine during the first 9 months I had it.

Watch out for the head gaskets. They are almost certainly seeping if they haven't been replaced.

The Lucas electronics are gone starting with 1999 1/2 models, e.g. 1999 4.0SE. Beware, the 1999 4.0S is still Lucas.

Otherwise, I love the vehicle every time I drive it, both on and off road.
  • jm641jm641 Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone has insight on what, if anything, will be changed for the RR in '04. From a convenience standpoint, one thing I thought was lacking during my test drive was a single disc option for the CD player (this is a luxury SUV, after all). Also, I just read an article in the April issue of BMW's Roundel mag that all BMW-sourced switchgear will be changed out for bits from the Ford parts bin. It also suggested the 4.4 liter motor will be swapped out as well. Both of these point are contrary to what I'd previously understood. Does anyone have any credible insight / thoughts?
  • grover432grover432 Posts: 11
    I test drove a 2003 RR this past weekend and noticed the same vibration in the steering wheel and seat. I don't think it is anything to worry about. I own a 1999 BMW 540iA, which has the same engine/transmission as the new RR. The drivetrain has been perfect for 75,000 KM and exhibits the exact same "buss" felt through the steering wheel rim and seat cushion. While some might mind it, I don't think it is indicative of a problem. BMW put it there!
  • jm641jm641 Posts: 2
    I was wondering if anyone has insight on what, if anything, will be changed for the RR in '04. From a convenience standpoint, one thing I thought was lacking during my test drive was a single disc option for the CD player (this is a luxury SUV, after all). Also, I just read an article in the April issue of BMW's Roundel mag that all BMW-sourced switchgear will be changed out for bits from the Ford parts bin. It also suggested the 4.4 liter motor will be swapped out as well. Both of these point are contrary to what I'd previously understood. Does anyone have any credible insight / thoughts?
  • grover432grover432 Posts: 11
    jm,

While I don't have any inside information, I don't think you'll see much in the way of changes for the first year. What you might see are the regular changes that occur in the second year of production of a new model, fixing first year problems, incorporated at point of manufacture. Many of these problems in MY2003 vehicles will have had the fixes corrected with up changed parts at the dealership level.

There has been some rumor of LR switching to Jaguar's 4.2L engine, however I read that is change is a few years down the road. As far as switchgear goes, I'd be surprised if these changes are incorporated as early as 2004, although many people posting to the various forums would be happy to get rid of the current navigation system.

The greatest benefit in waiting for MY2004, will be to see if the residuals improve for 36 month leases. My dealer tells me that a 36 month term (25,000km/year)lease program shows a 44% residual with a 8.4% lease rate (I'm not sure which is more offensive - yes I do, it's the residual!). I'm not sure what the current residuals are in the USA, but I'd be curious to know.
  • glc937glc937 Posts: 1
    Anyone have feedback on new RR 2003? I am considering one, but I find it hard to buy something at MRSP with a vehicle that traditionally depreciates so rapidly! Reading board about vibration, nav, electrical system also does not help, although I love the look and off road capabilities of the vehicle.
  • sam818sam818 Posts: 127
    It appears that one change has already been made on the 2003: the availability of the upgraded seat option (Oxford) that has been part of the range since launch in Europe. This is a $5000 option that places leather on the dashboard and adds further power articulation to the seatbacks and headrests.
  • dpetriedpetrie Posts: 2
    I've gone for my second test drive and I feel that I'm close to a purchase but I need more information about reliability of the 2003 RR. I've read a few of the posts and most are positive - are there other websites that have information that might tell me a little more about how it's performing in it's first year?

Thanks
    I've had my RR since August 02, and the reliability has been 99% perfect. A replaced steering column power adjuster and some tweaking to the presets on the radio are the only significant service items.
    The only items I would wish for are rain sensing wipers and TV/DVD/integrated phone (all of which are available in Europe)...and the sat/nav is a pain to use, but otherwise it's tough to beat. Only question is; what SUV would you move up to when its' time to trade?
  • mavamava Posts: 32
    Hi Everyone:

Wanted to see if there was still any activity on this board. I'm about a couple days away from purchasing a new 2003 Range Rover. I'm on the fence between the Zambezi Silver with Parchment Leather and Walnut and the Adriatic Blue with Parchment Leather and Cherry choices. I'd like some feedback from current owners on these two particular color choices.

I've owned a 2000 LX470 that I bought new and was looking into changing to the 2003 model since that's been improved with more power and a 5 speed transmission. The more I think about it though, and after owning 3 Lexus vehicles, I think it's time for a change.

Also anyone have any details on Extended Warranty programs. I know that the New Range Rover's powertrain's the tried and true BMW but I'd like general impressions from all of you.

I got a great deal from my local dealership. I actually sent an RFQ to all my local dealers and had them compete for my business.

Thanks in advance,

Mac
  • nanuqnanuq Posts: 765
    I have a silver metallic Disco and it's been a Godsend. Any small scratches from offroading or skis sliding down the side, or backpacks... buff them a little and it's exactly the same color as the aluminum beneath. They disappear.

Good luck!
    Thanks for your response! I'll be pulling the trigger next week. I'm still on the fence. Test driven the vehicles and really boils down to personal preference. I do like Silver A LOT! However, I've already owned silver in the past but there is something to be said about a clean dark metallic (or black) car.

You raise an interesting point re: off roading. I do plan on joining the local Land Rover club here in Southern California. That's a "maintenance" item I need to be prepared for if i elect to get a darker color.

Thanks again,

Mac
    It's too bad that LR doesn't allow all color/trim combinations in the U.S. because...if they did, the cherry interior trim would be the ideal choice for most color combinations. I have a white with sand interior, which while attractive, is only offered in the U.S. with the walnut trim, which is so dark it goes almost unnoticed. So my advice: go with whatever combo permits the cherry trim. Also, check to see if the $5k upgraded seating option is available.
    Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I absolutely think the cherry wood interior is what "makes" this car. I can't think of any manufacturer that has a cherry wood option.

Re: the cherry interior. I do know that the Greens (Giverney, Epsom), Adriatic Blue, and Black all have cherry wood interior options. By far the Black is the rarest to be found with the Cherry interior.

Now that I'm about ready to pick up the RR, and after looking at the brochures, I am now also considering the Black with cherry wood for that reason. What I REALLY want is the parchment interior and blue carpets available with the Black exterior. I think that would look pretty nice.

Re: the Oxford edition. . . I have yet to see that. That's the $5k option you talk about with the extended leather, etc. I do know that that configuration is available with a dark silver almost charcoal silver exterior.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised that this board doesn't get as much activity as the others. I guess everyone is out there enjoying their drives and off-roading.

Mac
  • suvmeamesuvmeame Posts: 1
    I'm looking to eventually purchase a Range Rover in the future, however I do not wish to have leather interior or leather anywhere on the car. I am unaware whether or not cloth is available or whether I would have to have the vehicle re-upholstered. Does anyone know if cloth is available or can be ordered as an option?
  • havenzhavenz Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of a parts back order on the New Range Rover ('03). Mine is in the shop due to an electronic switch issue with the transfer case - will not come out of Low Range. I am told the part is on back order and they have no delivery date. They claim to be working with RR USA to rob a part from a RR coming in to port. Sounds pretty extreme.

If anyone has heard of this and can point me to where I might get some specific info on this issue (web site or consumer watch group) I would appreciate it.
    Suvmeame:

I'm not aware of a factory configuration without leather. I'm sure the UK offers it but unfortunately that doesn't do you any good.

Fortunately, I live in LA and there are plenty of "customizers" out here for a price that can "do anything" you want. I'm sure though that would be cost prohibitive.

However, if it's leather that you don't want but are willing to put up with it, I might suggest you look into getting seat covers??

My .02.

Thanks,
    MAC
    Happy 4th everyone. Wanted to let you know that I just purchased a 2003 Range Rover with the exclusive Oxford Edition. I ended up not getting the Adriatic Blue with Parchment after all. With three kids and that light interior, I thought it would be smarter to get a darker interior.

The dealership had 3 new Oxford editions in stock. I ended up getting a Zambezi Silver with Charcoal/Jet Oxford interior. It came with the new Foundry Finish, which is the brushed silver instead of the Cherry or Walnut.

Essentially one gets the contour seats with 14-way driver and 12-way passenger adjustments. Additionally there is upgraded leather on the seats, door pulls and upper dashboard.

So far only driven 20 miles and it's a dream.

Thanks to all of you with the advice,

Mac