Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silverado 4.8 vs. 5.3?

sbehmsbehm Posts: 3
edited March 5 in Chevrolet
Any opinions on the Silverado 4.8 vs. 5.3 V8? I'm
looking to buy a 1500 LS 4x4 ext. cab, mostly for
light hauling, snowy roads, (not much off road or
towing), short family jaunts (two young kids).

Comments

• quadrunner500quadrunner500 Posts: 2,728
    Let the transmission you want be the deciding factor. If you want to shift manually, you must have 4.3 or 4.8L.

If you want an auto, take what comes, either the 4.8 or more likely, the 5.3L.

That's my opinion and I'm,....sticking to it!
  • teaboy022teaboy022 Posts: 59
    Ive been having trouble with the same issue... weather to go with the 4.8 or 5.3.
    I read up on some magazines that talked a little about the two engines and their performance. The 5.3 has 15 more horses than the 4.8 and much better torque but unless you are doing heavy pulling, go with the 4.8. They did a road test on 0-60 acceleration and the smaller V8 came in .2 seconds behind the larger 5.8 liter. I am going with the 4.8 because i am only doing light towing and have no need for the extra torque.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    Plus the stroke is much shorter on the 4.8 so the pistons don't have to run as far with every mile.... ;o)
  • woj1woj1 Posts: 48
    The issue mainly revolves around torque, or more accurately, the lack of. I have a 4.8 with the 5 spd manual and have found that it is a gutless engine below 4000 rpm. Thrashing the motor on a regular basis just can't do much for engine life. My old K2500 ext cab with a 5.7 and 5 spd had much more grunt and could haul a load. The current truck is a glorified station wagon. I wouldn't buy another one...
  • markbuckmarkbuck Posts: 1,021
    woj1 - sorry you are dissapointed. My 4.8 silverado pulls way better at 1/2 of its max rpm compared to my F350 diesel at 1/2 of its max rpm. Torque at these two rpms (2,600 rpm for the 4.8, 1,600 rpm for the 7.3) favors the diesel, but horsepower is higher with the 4.8. Horsepower (power per unit time) is what causes acceleration or ability to tow.

I am very happy with my 4.8, operating at 7,000 feet, pulling a 5,000 lb trailer.
    Mark is right about horsepower. Everyone usually points out that torque is the only thing that matters for towing. That's only partly true, because you also need speed over the road to get where you are going. That's rpm. And the equation for horsepower contains a term for both torque and rpm. Not the other way around.

If the 4.8L is so gutless, you'd also probably be disappointed in the 5.3L. But either engine will pass your old 5.7L where it hits you in the wallet, at the pump. If you have to thrash it, well it's your truck.
    In fact, every manual I've had, including my old Mustang 5.0 H.O. could start feeling lame, because I would get tired of working it so hard to keep up with the soccer mom's Caravan in the next lane, with her foot planted to the floor, and the automatic doing all the work. Even though manuals are faster ultimately, day to day it's easy to take for granted how much faster it is to drive an automatic on a regular basis.
    The problem with the new Chev motors is that they have forced any 5 spd owners to settle for the lesser motor which has less torque than the "old" 350. The fact that the max torque is at a higher RPM is another negative aspect of the whole deal. I don't mind revving motors, my Cobra 4.6 lives on it, but in a "truck" it isn't the best thing. The new 4.8 does not make more HP than my 350 did...and it does make less torque...and it drinks more gas. I just don't see the benefit.
    You can get the 5 speed with the 6.0L in the 2500 3/4 ton.
    Interesting enough, the choice of gear ratios in the 3/4 ton 5 spd is good for driving in muck, but not great for everyday driving (main reason why I didn't get a 2500 this time around). 6.0L motor is probably the way to go. Most truck rags have noted that the rear wheel HP of the 4.8/5.3 is down compared to what Chevy has claimed. The 5.3 is weaker than the new Triton 5.4 as an example.
    I suppose that it's all in waht you're expecting.
  • mledtjemledtje Posts: 1,123
    My 4.8L 5 spd has enough power even when loaded to the max GVWR. On some steep grades (6% or more) I may have to downshift. At 17,000 miles it has much more pep than it did a 4,000 miles.
    I have the 3.73 gears and the 4.10's would give it even better pulling power.
    I have never pulled over 4000 rpm and rarely over 3000, it just isn't neccesary, the engine has plenty of torque.
    I'm averaging just over 16mpg fully loaded and at speed (6400lbs, 60-75 mph).
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    from the engines I drove, you don't have to "thrash" the engine when pulling. both the 4.8 and 5.3 generally stay below 3000 unless you stand on the accelerator. not much different than my old 350. pulling in Drive, or downshifting out of OD puts me around 2600-2800 rpms. thats about where these engines pull. what makes the new GM motors pull so great compared to my truck: when i'm doing 65 mph at 2800 rpms, I don't have another gear. but the new GM's will downshift and rev up much higher if you want them too, for situations such as passing or merging on a freeway. if you ever get caught in Austin or Dallas with a short acceleration ramp, YOU REALLY APPRECAITE THIS. my friend's 5.3 merged traffic pulling my boat like it was nothing. My truck would have put myself in danger, as well the 80 mph oncoming traffic in the right lane.

lots of b**ching and moaning by Ford and Dodge diehards about the "car engines" and no torque, but from the few times I've driven these engines, they pull great.
    cdean: Bottom line is that when one is passing other vehicles on small roads, one has to utilize the full rpm range to pass safely. Times posted by the mags have shown that the Chevrolet is optimistic in their power claims and that they are behind Ford's Triton 5.4 and Dodge's 5.9. I expect my Siverado to get out of it's own way and it requires a lot of shifting to do so...I currently have 4K miles on my Silverado and am quite disappointed in terms of performance.
    My 5.3L smokes the tires and has no trouble with Dodges or Fords either.

But maybe you're trying to pass when you shouldn't on those small roads, in a big truck.

Agree that Chevy/GMS are optimistic in their power claims, but Ford and Dodge are guilty to a lesser extent. It's a ratings game, and if it's that important, you wait for the side by side comparos before making a decision based on performance. Where GM/Chevy didn't lie is the fuel economy ratings...best in class. That one hits you in the wallet.
  • f220swiftf220swift Posts: 103
    Maybe you should take a moment to relax. I did, thanks to cdean and feel much better.
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    sorry that you're dissappointed woj1. I'm not sure if you were expecting the 250 hp to be just like the old 350s, because it obviously not the same power engine at all. really, the GM engines at the lower cruising rpms, are about the same HP as Dodge and Ford. it was there goal to make it perform the way it did, with the wide range. the engine longevity was considered in this, and it shouldn't be an issue, its the way they wanted their engine to perform. just sounds like its not your style. you like the slower turning rpms when towing.

personally, i've driven a 4.8, and thought it was a very nice driving engine, wouldn't want to pull every weekend with it. i've pulled with the 5.3, and been very impressed with its performance. it gets the job done much better than my current old 350. i would love to pull with one of Fords new upgraded 5.4s to feel a load on it for myself.
  • jeffthrojeffthro Posts: 35
    By the way, the 4.8L engine is fastly approaching the hp of the old 350 hog. A 15 hp boost for 2000 brings the bhp to 270. Why are you argueing over a few hp? The 4.8L with the 4 speed tranny will get 17 in the city and 21 on the highway. No current V-8 in the industry can match the mpg...period.
  • rumblerrumbler Posts: 3
    My 4.8 runs well and I've averaged 16.5 mpg over the first 1700 miles, mostly hiway. Power is fun up and down hills with 1/2 ton load. One complaint...there is a persistent vibration at idle while in Park. Dealer flashed whatever the latest updates were several days ago, but vibration persists. It is characterized by about 2 seconds of smooth idle followed by a one second long slight vibration. Any other 4.8 owners have this going on?
  • rmumfordrmumford Posts: 10
    My Chevy has this vibration too. I was worried about it in the beginning, but I discovered that it was the AC compresor kicking in. If you turn on the defrost, it kicks in the AC, which I wasn't expecting. Try turning off the AC & see if thats it.

BTW, just my 2 cents: I have the 4.8 litre, if I had it to do over, I'd get the 5.3. No complaints, but I'd take a few more horses for essentially the same gas mileage. I'm getting an average 16.5 to 17.0. with a low of 15.5 (towing a light boat) to 20.1 on a trip.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Posts: 203
    I was debating that when I was shopping .Since I wanted the LS I was concerned about resale .I figure it would be the same as the 5.0 and 5.7 engine choice on earlier years. most would want the 5.7 . Now that I have the 5.3 I wouldn't want anything with less torque.Mileage is close enough for me . I have the 3.42 locking rear and after driving it for 6 months I think I would have been better off with the 3.73 .
This discussion has been closed.