Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn ION

Comments

• hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    it isn't worth much, probably worth just laughs as a trade-in unless I drive to Buffalo where they show those funny Gambino Ford ads, "tow it in, drag it in, whatever your trade-in is, we'll give you $XXX for it!!!"

Oh well, for fun I could turn it into an under 1500cc rally-car or something as I know they race Swift GT's there (with double the hp). If we had an autocross/solo course around here I'd love to drive it on one. Then I could justify getting a new car as the rally mods would probably make it road-illegal...
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Love Gambino Ford ads. Very funny!

Vibe is looking pretty good and I don't think the ION will be out until September. Our lease is up in July so unless it looks spectacular I don't think we can wait. Still going back and forth between a SUV and a car and Vibe. So many choice these days.
    Go to www.saturnfans.com/forums to see pics of the SKY roadster and the 2003 L-series reskin. The SKY isn't awful but for the nose, but what have they done to the L series? Ewwww... If the ION resembles the reskinned L in any way then there is no reason at all for me to wait. The Vibe's styling is different but in a nice way compared to these beasts.
    ION will be unveiled at the New York Auto Show next month. No details from Saturn/GM till then.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    For those of you who were worried, saturnfans.com links an article today that says the Ion will not resemble the Saturn L. The most marked difference stated in the article is that it will have a center console, a la the Toyota Echo. I did not see where it will offer a heads-up display option. Doubtful given the cost of the Ion.

Apparently the interior will be larger and the safety ratings should improve. Given that Ion will have the ecotech engine, reliability should also make a huge jump forward.

I am looking forward to the March debut.
  • I can't wait to see it, it's been way overdue!

The SL's styling is nearly 6 years old, and the platform is 12!
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Yeah, I am pretty curious. So far Edmunds does not have a NY autoshow link up. I really hope the Delta platform lives up to its advance reviews.
    There is a piece at saturnfans.com on what to expect next month. Sounds good!
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    4 and a half weeks till the NY show opens.
    I hope that marshmallow steering wheel is just a temporary pre-release stand-in. I'll have to try the centre mounted instruments to see if I like them but overall, I'm fairly well impressed with it.
    Unfortunately there is no sedan pictures yet, just the quad coupe.

The steering wheel is kind of silly looking, but otherwise the dash and the car look great!
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The car looks very nice. But the interior quality at least for what I can see appears to be marred by cheap plastics. I am not a fan of the Toyota Echo styled dashboard as I hate the vast empty dash space left in front of the steering wheel. Those center stacked instruments take some getting used to in that location. The steering wheel is aweful, looks like a squashed marshmellow.

I truly and sincerely hope the interior of this car looks and feels better in person.

The exterior is clean and nice, nothing too special about it. It does look better than the non descript Saturn SL sedan/coupe it replaces.

I hope the sedan looks better in terms of interior, oh and that aweful steering wheel!

The more I look at the ION, the more I like the 2004 Chevy Malibu/Vectra. That car has some GERMAN class!!!
  • machiavellimachiavelli Posts: 260
    Where are you seeing the picture? When I follow the link posted in #30, I don't get any Saturn pictures? Help
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I rented an Echo the other day when my car was in the shop, and I have to admit I kept looking in front of the wheel to see the gauges and they were not there. It wasn't any further out of my way to see the center pod, just a little weird at first. :)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The pic of that steering wheel reminds me of the steering wheels they use on the go-carts at the fair. That's the same thing with the L Series, a big ugly steering wheel. Yuck, I hope they change it before the car goes on sale!
    I think my LW200's wheel is fine. I like where the cruise-control buttons are located, as opposed to the ones in those ION pictures, or the strange lever on the back of the Vibe's wheel.

I might prefer a 4-spoke wheel like the one in my Metro but the 2-spoke wheel isn't that bad.
    There are links to scanned in pictures in the posts below. They aren't great pictures, but they are the best I've seen so far.

The wheel is the only bad spot I see so far. The exterior of the car is a big improvement and I really like it. Hopefully the sedan will be just as attractive.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Didn't Saturn learn anything from the uproar over the Echo's terrible interior design? What were they thinking? I give them credit for at least offering a full instrument display, but that center location just has to go! The rest of the center console design looks like a huge improvement. The interior would have looked nice if the stupid gauges were directly in front of me where they should be. I don't want to have to turn my head to the side to watch my tachometer. It's much easier and more natural to glance down. Oh, and I agree the steering wheel looks plain goofy. The exterior is reasonably nice, if bland and nondescript. I don't like the quad door C pillar styling though. That extra cut line at the back of the rear side window really breaks up the smooth flow of the lines and makes it look stupid. It would look so much better and more natural if the window ended with the curve of the pillar. In fact, just axe the quad door completely. If you need easy entry and exit, get the sedan. Those rear doors make the back seat more cramped feeling due to losses in shoulder and thigh room. Overall, the Ion coupe was a disappointment for me. Nothing really stands out on the car and there are too many turn-offs in its styling cues to make it a worthwhile buy. Saturn had a chance to jump to the front of the pack, but instead, they decided to simply catch up to the back of the pack. Hopefully, the sedan looks better, but that interior would keep me from buying it regardless.
    The steering wheel is my big beef, but that may be changed.

The center gauges are ok with me. I think you would just get used to them after a while.

Looking forward to seeing the sedan this week. Anyone know which day the ION is being introduced?