Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Are plastic bodies lighter than steel? If so, there could be several body parts that could be converted to plastic, such as on the Saturn.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Aha! A brilliant idea!

I'd take those Saturn polymer panels to save weight, or maybe aluminium.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    Vehicles with plastic body panels generally are no lighter in weight than the equivalent all steel vehicle. This is because the plastic panels are unable to offer much structural reinforcement to the body. To compensate, a stiff steel "skeleton" underbody has to be used. The net result is no weight loss.

As far as aluminum goes, you wouldn't want to pay the cost of an aluminum bodied minivan.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    As far as aluminum goes, you wouldn't want to pay the cost of an aluminum bodied minivan.

Or the insurance.
    Very good points.

Maybe I'll just take the 26 MPG a Sienna offers and bite the bullet. A friend who works at a Toyota dealer nearby has offered me a discount (I don't know how much, but I'm guessing it's the employee price) on any Sienna I want, even if it's a special order.
    Well, how about turning water into fuel?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/128967/water_as_fuel/

When clicking on this, wait for advertising to stop and the video will automatically start. This is truly remarkable if true.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Why the Sienna 26 MPG instead of another Odyssey with 28 MPG? :confuse:
    BTW, my 2006 Sienna trip computer shows 30-32 MPG while cruising at 75 MPH on the Interstate. Overall mileage for first 3000 miles is 25.95 MPG (Divide 3004 miles by 115.759 gallons). Idling at stop lights and start up each time lowers the overall gas mileage greatly. The Trip computer shows overall average of 26.6 which is 2.5 % higher than actual and lowers the 30-32 MPG cruising at 75 MPH to only 29-31 MPG). :shades:
    The problems from the Odyssey problems board scare me. The only issues with the Sienna that I know of are the run flats on the AWD models, and I don't plan to get an AWD model.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    What types of problems on the Odyssey boards are you concerned about? There were a few minor issues that caught my attention, but it looked like it was mostly the 05's (first year of a new model generation). So far, my 06 Odyssey has been perfect, and I have a co-worker that owns a late model year 05 and he has had no issues.

Not that this means anything, but a quick look at the total number of posts for the Odyssey (05+) boards vs the Sienna (04+) is about 400+ posts to 2000+ posts. My point is there are problems with any vehicle and while the problem boards are a source, they are just one. IMHO both the Odyssey and Sienna are safe, reliable vehicles and I recommend that you at least drive them both back to back to compare (if you have not already).
  • ramib1ramib1 Posts: 6
    My wife currently drives a 2005 XC90 V8, which we really love. However, with twins on the way (in addition to the 2 kids we already have), we realized that the XC90 might not be big/convenient enough for our needs. We're looking into replacing it with a high- end minivan, without sacrificing anything as far as driving pleasure, comfort, and overall amenities. Two primary vehicles we're looking at right now is the Odyssey touring and the Sienna XLE. Would appreciate any comments/recommendations. Thanks!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Well, while the same things continue to be said, i'll rehash some of them for you, with the two competitors I'm most familiar with, the Honda Odyssey Touring and Toyota Sienna XLE Limited.

Both of these vans come with a LARGE array of standard features, and offer the optional Navigation System and Rear-Entertainment System (DVD Player).

Most will agree that the Sienna definitely rides better (softer) while the Odyssey is more firm (probably closer to your Volvo). The Odyssey definitely handles better than the Sienna, but at the expense of the ride quality. The Odyssey isn't particularly HARSH, just firmer than Sienna, and driven back to back, the Toyota feels more "plush" while the Odyssey feels more "sporty".

Overall amenities are generally similar, and come with all the features that should be had on a vehicle costing $35k +. Go drive the vehicles and decide which suits your needs best.

There are other options than these two vans, but since you are looking for a luxury-SUV replacement, I felt these two were at the top of the food chain in their price-catergories. A more budget-minded shopper should definitely consider the Dodge and Chrysler minivans, as they offer superior bang for the buck, and have apparently made great strides in reliability lately.
    I read about the whistling sound and I had the transmission replaced on mine, so my faith in Honda is a little shaky.

I will drive them both back to back when the time comes, which right now will probably be either late 2006 or mid 2007, when I will test the Odyssey EX-L RES-NAV, Sienna XLE (or Limited), and the Entourage Limited. (which I heard was getting a factory Navigation unit for 2007)

It will be interesting to see which one I end up with.
  • tkm526tkm526 Posts: 4
    I traded in a 2001 BMW X5 for a 2006 Odyssey Touring w/RES/nav yesterday. I had to take a few deep breaths, and am now so happy with my choice. I only have two kids, but wanted a true 3rd row for my frequent visitors and more leg room in 2nd row (tired of getting kicked in the back).

I chose the Odyssey over the Sienna even though I would have loved AWD for these reasons:
    1. Storage, lazy susan, 2nd row console;
    2. ease of moving 2nd row seats forard and together and ease of folding 3rd row seat;
    3. fuel efficiency;
    4. aesthetics (bodystyle and color choices);
    5. control of DVD from front (my kids are too small to do it themselves.

In my mind the only pro-sienna feature was the AWD.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    What you don't see is the electricity being consumed (electrolysis) to break up the bonds between the hydrogen and the oxygen.

The energy gained from burning the hydrogen is LESS THAN the amount of enegy consumed in the electrolysis process.

TANSTAAFL

(there ain't no such thing as a free lunch)
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    Not to mention that fresh water is more precious in some areas than gasoline.
    How many people buy bottled water at $ 2.50 for 20 ounces but are all upset when gasoline costs $ 3.00 a gallon? :blush:
    LACK of activity in a forum could also indicate a very boring vehicle...and not necessarily a reliable one. :shades:
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    How many people buy bottled water at $ 2.50 for 20 ounces but are all upset when gasoline costs $ 3.00 a gallon? And consider how much effort goes into producing gasoline vs. Milk or water! You drill for Oil, pump it out of the ground, refine it, ship it half way around the world.

In my mind, driving is a priviledge, not a right....I dont see it listed anywhere in the constitution. I have a friend who thinks the government should mandate everyone into a Focus - period!!! Yet this same friend claims Bush has stripped us of our rights, Bush is fixing gas prices to make himself right etc... goofballs!
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    Gasoline in Europe is often double what we pay, in part due to taxes. Had we done this 20 years ago, you can bet our fleet of vehicles today would be significantly more fuel efficient without any other laws or restrictions. Imagine if all that tax revenue went to developing even more efficient and alternative fuel vehicles, especially for the troubled 'domestic' manufacturers. Even a 10% cut in gasoline use is a huge cut in foreign oil dependency. It's the best tax we could ever pay, IMO.