Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I'd say you should be able to get it for 20-21k. Offer 19k and see if they bite. Check out the Smart Shoppers board and look at the "Purchasing Stategies" discussion for some tips.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    For some strange reason, I'm wondering what kind of minivan Yugo could produce. No need to, the free market place took care of them!!! HISTORY!!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    And calling it the "Magic Seat" was a marketing coup. :shades:
    ALL minivans now must include the split 3rd row fold into the floor introduced by Toyota in the 2004 Sienna to be competitive.
    The Power Liftgate introduced by Chrysler in 2001 models was ridiculed by others...but now the others also brag about their power liftgate (either standard or optional). ;)
    When will all minivan makers copy Chrysler's flat fold into the floor 2nd row seats?
    When will all minivan makers copy Chrysler's flat fold into the floor 2nd row seats?

Nissan for 2008 I've heard. Stow N Go won't be easy to implement without a major chasis redesigns. Will Honda, which uses the same basic platform for Oddy, Ridgeline, MDX and Pilot be able to redesign it for Stow N Go while still using it for the others? It won't be easy for the competition. Will Toyota/Honda/Hyundai which sell far fewer minivans make the investment?

Stay Tuned :)
    DCX Minivan Quality

Note that the DCX Windsor plant tied Toyota for second place even!!
    Also noticed Kia as a brand is near the bottom of the middle. Since the Kia Rio is tied for first place with Suzuki Aerio in the sub-compact category, which Kia models are bad enough to bring the entire Kia brand so low? :confuse:
    Toyota motor company with # 2 and # 4 rate much higher than ANY company. Porsche may be # 1, but look at the parent company Volkswagen rated 35 out of 37.
    Glad to see Chrysler doing so well.
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    Pretty impressive for T&C to be #1 minivan in this competitive space, and American vehicles take the top 3 slots. Shocking, actually
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    One of the most important point for a mini van is to have dealer support while traveling nation wide.

Second. is safety features.

Third, is MPG's. This is one feature that needs improving. What about a diesel?
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Great news For Chrysler and General Motors. Bares out what some of us Chrysler/Dodge minivan owners have been saying about our minivans. My 2005 has been to the shop once, last week to check on a recall of a possible crimped hose. That's been it in over 18 months of owning it. Had that checked when I had the oil changed. I was out in less than an hour.

Van
    1. Chrysler Town & Country
    2. GMC Savana
    3. Dodge Caravan
  • estoesto Posts: 136
    Third, is MPG's. This is one feature that needs improving. What about a diesel?

What about a hybrid minivan? I claim ignorance on this topic (haven't searched for news stories). Anyone here have any insights? Where would the batteries go?
    In a newspaper version of the article, Bob Lutz was quoted as criticizing "systems where you gather everything under one control and then you are asked to scroll through menu after menu trying to do things".

Bob Lutz succinctly stated how I feel about the Odyssey and Sienna controls. I much prefer DaimlerChrysler controls where the stereo has many controls compared to my Sienna where I have to scroll through the entire menu to adjust bass, treble, balance, fade, etc. Same thing with other controls.
    My 02 T&C LX has 3 separate controls on the dash for the rear wiper and washer with a separate stalk for the front wiper and washer on the steering column while the Sienna puts the controls for the rear wiper/washer on the same stalk as the front wipers/washers.
    The 02 T&C has a separate control for front fan speed plus power on/off with a separate control for turning A/C on and another separate control for recycling the air.
    The Sienna temperature control knob turns on A/C and recycle when it is turned to the extreme left. The recycling can be turned off by turning the knob back to the right but to turn off A/C I must depress another button.
    DaimlerChrysler design is superior to that of either the Sienna or Odyssey...but unfortunately the fine folks of Consumer Reports do not seem to be able to learn the more completely controlled DC system so they bad mouth DC for having "confusing controls". :shades:
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    If adding Stow N Go results in having less comfortable seats in the second row, then Honda should stick with their current setup. I found the second row seats in the 06 T&C Touring model to be much more uncomfrotable vs Toyota/Honda (and Kia).

My 06 Odyssey already has storage in the second row under the floor, and we have not even used it yet. For me, I do not see the value in adding even more storage under the floor unless it did not sacrifice seat comfort....
  • dc_driverdc_driver Posts: 712
    I understand what you are saying, but I actually prefer the scroll through controls in cases where I do not make frequent adjustments. The reason being is that I rarely adjust bass, treble, fade, stations, etc once I get it set. If it were a control that I was using every day, then I agree, the scroll through options take a little more time. One other option that is almost a must have for me now, is audio controls on the steering wheel. Personally, I feel this is more than a safety feature than anything (actually know somebody who totalled their Mustang when they were trying to change radio stations and lost control of their car when they veered into some gravel on the side of the road).

As for the wiper controls, I prefer having them all on one stalk (maybe because all of my other vehicles have been setup that way).

I love the automatic climate control in our Odyssey. I think it has the perfect layout, and has separate controls for fan speed, recycle, separate controls for each passenger, and separate controls for the second row.
  • sc00bssc00bs Posts: 87
    I had narrowed down my search to a Toyota Sienna ,Dodge Grand Caravan, or a GM sedan with the 3.8L engine.

So I found a Toyota Sienna. It is a 98 and has 54,000 miles, its an XLE. They are asking 12,995 (over edmunds so some negotiations are needed there, edmunds lists the car in clean condition at 10,890). Its a retail sale.

Anyway, here is the part I need some help with. The carfax report lists two owners (not ideal, but..). The first owner it was a lease vehicle in California and Wyoming. The second ower was in Colorado ( here were I live).

I have read some bad things about California cars and their emissions equipment being different and more expensive to repair. Is this something I should be concerned with, or should it not be a big deal???

The other question is pertaining to the sludge issue. This car has no service records at all with it. Toyota said they showed nothing in their records on the car at all (other than factory installed options ) and just said that if the car should get sludge Toyota deals with the issues on a case by case basis and that they would require service records on the car in order to complete any repairs with reimbursement on the issue. I asked if there was a mileage limit and the person really didn't say much, just the above statement again (rude person too). Should I use this to my advantage in negotiating a deal, or will this have no impact on the sale price of the car???

Im really afraid of getting a sludge monster, especially with such low miles on it. It just hasn't had the chance to be sludged yet, lol. What would you guys be looking at during an inspection (and yes it will go to a mechanic)?
    DaimlerChrysler design is superior to that of either the Sienna or Odyssey...but unfortunately the fine folks of Consumer Reports do not seem to be able to learn the more completely controlled DC system so they bad mouth DC for having "confusing controls".

I remember when evaluating the Dodge, Honda and Toyota minivan, the tester at CR said the Dodge controls were (busy). What in the heck did he mean by that? I like the way Dodge has them set up. I forgot, they are for Asian cars and vans.
    If adding Stow N Go results in having less comfortable seats in the second row, then Honda should stick with their current setup. I found the second row seats in the 06 T&C Touring model to be much more uncomfrotable vs Toyota/Honda (and Kia).

My 06 Odyssey already has storage in the second row under the floor, and we have not even used it yet. For me, I do not see the value in adding even more storage under the floor unless it did not sacrifice seat comfort....

Chrysler middle seats are firmer that's true. Uncomfortable? not a bit. If you think your under floor space that Honda gives you is enough and don't even use that, you chose the right van. That sure isn't my case. I use all the space I can get in my van. But I also use it for a lot more than seating people. It's also a working van.

http://www.carspace.com/marine2
    Excellent response which also explains why I prefer the DC setup.
    Each of us prefers the setup that we have been used to. Maybe I will like all controls on one stalk if I can ever get used to this method. :shades:
    Chrysler middle seats are firmer that's true.

Some people like cushy seats but truly comfortable seats for long trips are firmer like that found on many German luxury cars that support better.
  • cpsdarrencpsdarren Posts: 265
    "Some people like cushy seats but truly comfortable seats for long trips are firmer like that found on many German luxury cars that support better. "

Firm and supportive are not necessarily synonymous. Two flat slabs of rock at right angles are very firm, but neither supportive nor comfortable.
    "Some people like cushy seats but truly comfortable seats for long trips are firmer like that found on many German luxury cars that support better. "

Firm and supportive are not necessarily synonymous. Two flat slabs of rock at right angles are very firm, but neither supportive nor comfortable.

I hope your not even trying to suggest the seats in the Dodge/Chrysler are like that.

If you have seen my web sight, my Sister parked her black 2006 Chrysler next to mine. She came out here with her husband, my brother and her son from Ohio. Over 4,000 mile trip up and back with no complaints of those seats at all. It seems the only ones that complain they are uncomfortable are the ones that don't own a Chrysler/Dodge.