Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• allison5allison5 Posts: 130
    I can speak from hands on experience about whether there is more room in SUV or minivan. I went from a minivan (2000 Odyessy) to a GMC Yukon (not the suburban, though I almost bought it. Anyway now after having a SUV for a few years I truly MISS the interior space in a minivan and now I am planning on going back to a minivan. YOu can't beat a minivan for the space!! In the SUV there was never enough room behind the 3rd row and when you don't have the sliding doors with a minivan you find you really miss them at least I do. It is also such a pain for kids climbing in and out of a SUV, squeezing by etc. Just suggestions!
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I truly MISS the interior space in a minivan and now I am planning on going back to a minivan.

Another good point....Ease of Entry!! Not just talking sliding doors, but also not having to climb up and in, and over seats, thru narrow spaces. Maybe the new GM SUVs with their flip and fold seats are a big improvement, but I haven't seen one up close.

I love my van for camping!! I'm not one to "pack" it properly, especially on the return trip. I just toss everything in and worry about it when I get home. Thats why I love a minivan over any SUV.

I also have a decent tow capacity of 3800 lbs with DCX's factory tow pack that includes tranny, oil and HD radiator coolers, auto leveling suspension and HD battery and electrical
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    It's pretty easy to get in the 3rd row of my Freestyle, and there is also pretty good space behind the 3rd row too. But it's true...nothing beats a minivan for max space if you need max space.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I'm sure the MPV is fine for those families who don't need the space that the Sienna and Odyssey provide and/or do not want to pay the severe price premium for the Toyota and Honda.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Of course the owners aren't going to admit the seats aren't comfortable, nor will polite passengers sitting back there, so let's get real. Plus, real passengers sitting in the back aren't jumping in different minivans to compare the differences. I've never sat in the stowNgo seats, but the low but high knee position doesn't look as comfortable to the other's horizontal chair position

My brother road for over 2,000 miles in our sister's middle seats, believe me if they were uncomfortable, he wouldn't have a problem telling us. He has a 2001 Pymouth minivan. He was going to buy a new 2006 when I talked him into waiting next year for the 2008. They should have a six speed trany, new engine and new design.
    I talked him into waiting next year for the 2008. They should have a six speed trany, new engine and new design.

I'm seeing more and more of them driving around, here in Auburn Hills, MI. For some reason, they look smaller? Maybe its the camo on them.

I'm hearing good things....independent rear suspensions, cup heater/coolers, power "Stow N Go", quieter, greater tow rating. The Tranny is suppose to be a 6 spd with overdrive even! We'll know a lot more about the Engine/Tranny when the 2007 Pacificas come out this August...should be same drivetrain.
    Let me for once and for all put an end to these people who think just because the middle seats of the stow-n-go are firmer, then they have to be uncomfortable.

The Honda Ody has a firmer ride than the Dodge/Chrysler does. Does that mean the Honda's ride is uncomfortable? I rest my case on the comfort of those seats.
    The Honda Ody has a firmer ride than the Dodge/Chrysler does. Does that mean the Honda's ride is uncomfortable? I rest my case on the comfort of those seats.

Take a ride in any German automobile and you'll notice firm seats. Take a long ride in those seats and say they're not more comfortable than "cushy" seats.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    I have driven MANY miles in a VW Beetle and VW Bus and the firm seats were more comfortable for me than the "cushy" seats in my 2002 T&C LX.
    The more firm seats of my son's 2001 Ody EX and my 2006 Sienna LE are also more comfortable for me than the softer seat of my 2002 T&C LX.
    The contour of the seat cushion and seat back is as much or more important than whether the seat is cushy or firm.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Why is Hansienna's username hidden or "unknown"? I know it's hans, based on his story. Is it a technical glitch?

I also agree with him on his point...firmness doesn't make comfort; contour and shape are most imporant. I could sit on a firm park bench, but it doesn't make it comfortable. As far as seat comfort, there is a compromise in getting stow and go, at least to my rump/back. It's not unbearable, but the Sedona, Sienna, and Odyssey certainly feel better to my 6'4" 185 lb body than the stow-and-go. It's a compromise that is worth having to a lot of people obviously, which makes it a feature worthwhile to a lot of people, however.
    I also agree with him on his point...firmness doesn't make comfort; contour and shape are most imporant.

I agree firmness doesn't make comfort. But neither does it make it uncomfortable. I also agree countour and shape are important. Along with the back reclining.

I made a mistake here a few weeks ago and said I hated the third row seats in my 2005 Dodge GC. I sat in them and hated the way I had to sit. There seemed to be no adjustment to recline the back of the third row seats. Then someone on here, forget who it was at the moment, told me that I could adjust the back by pulling on one of the straps in back of the seat. I thought those straps were only to stow them. Well I tried it and it worked. I was able to lean the back of the seat back a few inches and was amazed at how much better the seat felt. So you see, there are a lot of things that make up comfort in a seat. I am quite happy now with all the seats in my stow-n-go van, even if they are a little firmer. As much as Honda owners must feel, with the firmer ride of their Ody vans.
    I am quite happy now with all the seats in my stow-n-go van, even if they are a little firmer. As much as Honda owners must feel, with the firmer ride of their Ody vans.

I'm glad the compromise is a good one for you...and I certainly hope I've never claimed that the Odyssey rode more comfortably suspension-wise, because I know it doesn't... it just sits better and handles better; over a choppy interstate, the ride in the Dodge and Toyota is more comfortable.
    I am quite happy now with all the seats in my stow-n-go van, even if they are a little firmer. As much as Honda owners must feel, with the firmer ride of their Ody vans.

I'm glad the compromise is a good one for you...and I certainly hope I've never claimed that the Odyssey rode more comfortably suspension-wise, because I know it doesn't... it just sits better and handles better; over a choppy interstate, the ride in the Dodge and Toyota is more comfortable.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Personally, I think this whole issue of perceived seat comfort regarding the DCX vans and sto'n'go is overblown.

Not only is seat comfort a function of cushion firmness, seat contour, and degree of adjustability, but it is also highly subjective.

What one person feels as 'comfort' another feels is a 'torture rack'.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: view ALL opinions of seat comfort with a grain of salt. EVERY potential owner should put their OWN butt into the seats of the vehicles under consideration and make their own determination. Personally, I couldn't care less what someone else thinks is comfortable.

When my wife and I were looking at vans, we considered the Ody, the Sienna, and the DCX vans. From OUR perspective we liked the seat comfort in the Sienna the best and the DCX the least. That does NOT mean we felt the DCX vans were 'uncomfortable'; we just liked the others more. I'm sure we would have been more than happy with a DCX van if, for some reason, we had disliked the seats in either the Ody or the Sienna because they really weren't all THAT different. Essentially, seat comfort became a minor issue (for us anyway) since we thought they were ALL comfortable enough to not be out of the running.

What eliminated (for us) the DCX vans was their perceived lack of reliability (I know, I know.....their reliablity is much better than it used to be; but the others had a better reputation for reliability and gave us more peace of mind) as well as the lack of a stability control system. We eliminated the Sienna from a pure cost standpoint. Which left us with the Ody.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    VERY well written posting by rorr.
    I disagree with rorr's opinion that the Sienna has the best seat comfort. The Odyssey has the BEST overall seating comfort for me with only the Sienna driver's seat as comfortable as the Odyssey driver's seat.
    The Odyssey also has THE easiest to use fold into the floor 60/40 split 3rd row seat with DC 2nd easiest and the Sienna least easy to use of these 3.
    We felt that the 2006 Sienna LE had the most attractive interior of it, the 2006 Odyssey EX and 2006 GC SXT but feel the Sienna has the ugliest exterior styling.
    I love the Trip Computer in the 2002 T&C LX but the later TC/GC Trip computers have been watered down and our Sienna LE trip computer is NOT as nice the the 2002 T&C.
    We would have purchased a 2006 Odyssey EX if the Odyssey dealers were not so arrogant and greedy...and there had been an Ocean Mist Metallic 2006 Odyssey EX (cloth) available when we purchased our 2006 Sienna LE...even though the Odyssey EX would have been the most expensive.
    Thanks hansienna. I was beginning to think I had killed this thread with my take on seat comfort.

I find it ironic that you felt that, overall, the Ody had better seat comfort but you ended up with a Sienna LE (because you couldn't get dealers to negotiate with you on a Ocean Mist Ody EX).

Meanwhile, my wife and I felt that, overall, the Sienna had better seat comfort but we ended up with an Ody EX-L (in Ocean Mist :P ) because we couldn't get dealers to negotiate enough on a Sienna XLE.

I think it just goes to show that any perceived differences in seat comfort are (in our cases at least) VERY minor and aren't deal killers.

Glad you like your trip computer so much... ;)
    Meanwhile, my wife and I felt that, overall, the Sienna had better seat comfort but we ended up with an Ody EX-L (in Ocean Mist ) because we couldn't get dealers to negotiate enough on a Sienna XLE.

I think it just goes to show that any perceived differences in seat comfort are (in our cases at least) VERY minor and aren't deal killers.

It ALSO shows how different dealers can ruin a make for certain people. For example, the Ford dealers in Birmingham refused to give us a number on a Mustang convertible (10 years ago), and to this day Dad hates Ford because of it...They treated him like dirt, and in-turn, ended up with a Chrysler convertible (a mistake for another time). Our Honda dealer (smaller, hometown-type store, not a mega-store) treats us like we are family, and several of the sales staff know me by first name! That impressed me given my young age.
    "It ALSO shows how different dealers can ruin a make for certain people."

Actually, I don't blame the dealers as much (in this instance) as I did Toyota and the way they set up their various option packages. It made the van equipped the way that WE wanted (which was actually VERY close to the standard equipment on the EX-L) in short supply. The dealer's acted accordingly. I can't fault a dealer who has a van that he KNOWS is in short supply and in high demand.
    What you say is true, indeed. My statement was more directed to hans who dealt with Honda dealers who were uncooperative/arrogant (if I remember correctly). This gives the impression that all dealers are likely to be that way, when in fact they are probably not.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    You'll always have a couple uncoopertive/arrogant salesmen at any dealership. But, to make a blanket statement saying that a particular dealership or all Honda dealerships are that way, may be an error.