Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• deepandeepan Posts: 342
    from the above numbers the ody is 18.1 lb/hp
    whereas the MPV is 18.8lbs/hp
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    >>Officially, I agree with the past poster....macakava, your van is the best. Now please stop posting stupidity about outrunning people on the offramp doing 90mph in your family vehicle.<<

...with the kids in the back...

lol

this board is way too fun!!!:) Whoo WHOO!!!
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    If you are so inclined to do so, you can reprogram the EPROM if you want to, FYI. Thinking out of the BOX.

Then, you would be in the forum category of "Where are the high performance minivans"

See ya at the off-ramp...
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Um, not to pick nits or anything....but the Ody is at 17.8 lbs/hp (4537lbs/255hp). Perhaps you used the 250 ft-lbs of torque rating instead?
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    Was looking at the 2005 Cars issue yesterday.

In the Vehicle profiles, they have the 2005 Odyssey, which came out in October, with a reliability rating of a half red circle. Yet, if you look at other cars such as the new GM minivans and Grand Cherokee, released a month later, as well as other vehicles that came out much earlier, like the Equinox and the 300, that all have a reliability rating of "new". How can CR determine the reliability of a completely redesigned minivan, especially one with VCM, in a few months? If you say it's because the previous one was reliable, then it doesn't account for the ratings of other redesigned cars not being available. Another example is the last section, with the reliability for each year. Under Grand Cherokee, for Predicted reliability, it says "redesigned for 2005". For the Odyssey, it has the half red star

Something smells fishy...
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    Typically if a car is redesigned for a new model year (vs. an entirely new model), CR will say something like "Redesigned for 2005 but based on past reliability ratings for this model we expect reliability to be similar."

For NEW cars -- and all the examples you site seem to be new -- then CR will say "new."
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    "For NEW cars -- and all the examples you site seem to be new -- then CR will say "new." "

I thought that may have been it initially, wehen I looked at the Equinox and 300, but the GM minivans and the Grand Cherokees are redesigned models. Yet they say "new". Like I said, something doesn't seem right...
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    "Typically if a car is redesigned for a new model year (vs. an entirely new model), CR will say something like "Redesigned for 2005 but based on past reliability ratings for this model we expect reliability to be similar."

But this model Honda is all new. New engine and new transmission, new body.It should also have been rated as Reedesigned for 2005
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    I'm sorry but unless you have been lurking in the civic board too long, adding a modded chip to your minivan does not make it anywhere near high performance. What intense01 did to his bonneville in the bonneville forum, or the 7.0L twin-turbocharged Fairmont that my friend drools over is high performance. These are completely overhauled vehicles that smash acceleration rates, hold on the skidpad like they have a death-grip, and can stop hard enough to throw you from the car. High performance means the total package: ridiculous acceleration, intense stopping, tuned suspension, excellent roadholding, and a capable transmission to distribute all that power. Minivans by their nature would require nearly a complete tear-down to approach high performance. Throwing a chip into an overweight, aerodynamically challenged big metal box does not make it high-performance.

If you want easy high performance, go get a WRX STI and call it a day. And leave the minivan for the trips to see your aunty Mildred.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Lastwraith,

Mac's Oddyssey is high performance. We all agree'd to that already in addition all our Minivans are garbage. He feels better this way so we just go along with it. Anyone who brags about racing other minivans is obviously a very serious minivan enthusiast.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Special racing stripes
    dual exhaust
    supercharger
    nitrous
    tinted windows
    armor all on the tires
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Nice try.

The 122mph top speed I quoted was from a Car and Driver test of the Sedona.
    The Kia Sedona is the best-looking, most comfortable, smoothest, quietest, highest-quality minivan available in the USA.
  • I am getting a 6.1L 425hp HEMI and a Viper competition suspension installed in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. And I will add nitrous bottles in the Stow 'N Go bins. That way I can beat people who love to race their minivans. That's what they're intended for...yeah.
    You have to compare what is available within the category/class of vehicles.

And in a particular category/class(Sedan, sports cars, minivans, or trucks, etc) there will be leaders and followers/wannabees.

It is obvious who the leaders are... or you can pretend and be a wannabee.

Aren't we having fun? Sorry for being the devil's advocate - but it makes the interplay LIVELY!
    Sounds like another candidate for,

"Where are the high performance minivans" forum!!
    You know, my uncle told me once,

"The ugliest girls pretend that they are the best-looking to make up for their insecurity"

Sounds applicable here...
    I was hoping you would take the bait.

After reading your posts in this topic the past week or two, I decided it would be more fun for ME to say stupid things in here and watch YOU waste your time trying to shoot them down, rather than the vice-versa.

The difference is, I'm pretty much kidding with my posts. You aren't. Plus, I have a sense of reality.
    You don't know me for sure!

The devils advocate is more potent than the devils blue...

I enjoy looking at ugly girls(that say stupid things like devils blue) make a fool of themselves.

I can tell when someone is full of it from a distance by listening to the original message post containing the Sedona.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,956
    Let's try discussing the merits of minivans for the average user - this discussion is about shopping for one after all. And most people shop features, not zero to out-of-orbit times. The my van is better than yours shots don't really help shed much light on the various attributes available on the different vans on the lots. thanks,

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Steve,

Sorry but my cup holder is better than your cup holder. Dont get me started on glove box's!

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Most HP and Torque with best EPA Fuel Economy Rating. Flexible 2nd row seating; a 60/40 split fold into the floor 3rd row; separately controlled temperature for driver, front passenger, and rear passengers; most cargo space behind 3rd row; front side airbags and 3 row side curtain airbags on ALL models; vehicle stability assist with traction control on ALL models...just to list the more obvious.
    Yes, there are cheaper minivans like the Sedona, Caravan, MPV, etc. but they do not have all the features of the Odyssey nor the outstanding resale value.
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    "The 122mph top speed I quoted was from a Car and Driver test of the Sedona."

which model year 2006 or 2005 under?
    I'm pretty sure it was the 2002 Sedona. I clipped the article from the magazine and maybe I'll run across it at home to verify.
    Hans,

I am impressed! You are a quick learner like some of us!

Like my late father once told me,

"Experience is the greatest teacher in our lives. Be an attentive student."
    You guys wont believe this but last night I took my family out in our Sedona. and Your NOT gonna believe this but guess what happened?

We all enjoyed the leather seats, the moonlight through the opened sunroof(this is Florida BTW) and the smooth ride of the Sedona and it brought us all out for Ice Cream and got us home...Can you believe it? Its actually a nice Minivan.

Yes its true I could have gotten to the Ice Cream shop 20 seconds quicker and home 40 seconds sooner if I had an Odyssey but that was 40 seconds of quality family time. You dont get that in a Race Minivan.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Sure, but you spent 8 cents more on gas, had 0.5" less hip and shoulder room during your trip, and didn't get jealous looks from other wannabe minivan owners at the ice cream shop-- all things you would have gotten if you were an Odyssey owner!
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Thats right bluedevils.You never know when you'll stumble across a great all you can eat buffet and need that extra 0.5" of hip and shoulder room.
    Recieved the 2005 Cars issue from Consumer Reports the other day. Just a few interesting facts I thought I would share with my fellow minivan shopper forum members.
    Best Minivan was the Honda Ody(yeah...one point for mac)
    Best Minivan under $25,000 was the Dodge Grand Caravan SE(Yeaahh..one point for Hans)
    Most Satisfying...the Toyota Sienna (yeahh...one point for BlueDevil.)
    Least Satisfying...the Dodge Caravan(Boooo, take one point away from Hans)
    U.S autos narrow the gap on reliability against the the foreign market of Asian made vehicles(yeahhh...give hans his point back)
    The Hyundai Sonata is the single most reliable vehicle(yipppeee...one point for craigmri)
    Least reliable minivan....the Nissan Quest and Mazda MPV(Booooo...minus one point for the Jipster)
    The last category? Proves...don't believe everything you read. ;-)
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Read and study data that Edmunds provides FREE of charge on the internet. Read what actual owners write about their minivans here in Town Hall.
    Why did CR pay MSRP for their 2005 Grand Caravan SXT that has too many options most people do not want?
    I can understand paying MSRP for an Odyssey EX or a Sienna XLE even though many Honda and Toyota dealers sell them with a nice discount...
    BUT, paying MSRP for a Grand Caravan?
    CR does NOT shop for the best price when buying their minivans while urging subscribers to pay $$ to get their pricing guide.
    Meanwhile, Edmunds rarely pays MSRP while providing FREE pricing data for people smart enough to read the Edmunds web site.
    And now CR does not recommend the Mazda MPV even though on page 185 of the Buying Guide 2005 the MPV is listed with the 2nd highest overall score and has an above average reliability verdict for 2000 thru 2002 and average for 2003 (page 211 of Buying Guide 2005).
    CR is NOT Recommended for purchase.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    The least satisfying Dodge Caravan was the 4 cylinder version. So add a point back to Hans as almost no one buys the 4 banger Caravan, probably because it is so unsatisfying.

We did own a 1985 Caravan with a 4 banger Mitsubishi engine. Only two 4 bangers were available back then, the slow and the slower. We drove it for 12 years and replaced it with a 1996 with the 3.3 V-6 which "only" had about 155 or so HP, but it is adequate.