Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I don't know how much is being offered currently, but it should be easy to get a Grand Caravan/Town & Country new for VERY CHEAP (i mean WELL below invoice)in the coming days since a brand new model is expected in the near future. The used models are really a steal if you don't mind buying pre-owned. Click here to see some examples of what I mean. Things like this van (2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SE $15,996 asking price, 18,044 miles, and these features (I copied and pasted so I could do it quickly)
    Power Steering
    Power Brakes
    Power Door Locks
    Power Windows
    Power Driver's Seat
    Stow N Go Seating
    AM/FM Stereo Radio
    CD Player
    Bridgestone Tires
    Gauge Cluster
    Trip Odometer
    Tachometer
    Air Conditioning
    Tilt Steering Wheel
    Cruise Control
    Tinted Glass
    Driver Side Air Bag
    Passenger Side Air Bag
    Front Bucket Seats
    Reclining Seats
    Rear Air Conditioner
    Alloy Wheels
    Clock
    Interval Wipers
    Rear Defroster
    Rear Window Wiper
    Carpeting
    Driver Side Remote Mirror
    Cloth Upholstery
    Body Side Moldings
    Luggage Rack
    Keyless Entry
    Center Arm Rest
    Map Lights
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Your term VERY CHEAP is accurate for a 2006 GC SE. One of the few nice items is the Cast Wheels. The door panels in a GC SE are as cheap looking as an entry level Daewoo Nubira. :shades:
    Well, they didn't seem against a low-end model (base model MPV), so I thought it was worth suggesting.
    I am disgusted that Toyota now has $ 2,000 customer cash on 2006 Siennas since I got NONE when I got my 2006 Sienna LE. My Sienna depreciated faster each time Toyota increased the bribe. ($ 500, $1,000, $1,500, and now $2,000).

I KNEW DaimlerChrysler always gave rebates/discounts/incentives but I was not aware Toyota would.

Has Honda ever offered factory rebates on the Odyssey?
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Honda does not typically offer rebates. Sometimes they'll offer dealer cash and special financing/lease rates but that's about it. Which is one reason why Honda's typically hold value better (as a % of actual prices paid). Not selling to fleets is another big reason they retain 1-3 year values very strongly.

Toyota does offer rebates, but generally only in the later part of the year which makes sense because the vehicles are nearly a year old. A vehicle purchased NOW vs last January will suffer more deprecation so a small rebate won't hurt resale much or at all. Honda cuts production earlier to let inventory sell-off before the new models arrive.
  • d5ad5a Posts: 64
    Thats the one thing I fear when buying a car. All my cars have held there resale value pretty well which always helps me to move up to a higher end car when i trade them in. Looking at the honda, toyota and mazda vans. Love the honda resale but hate the price. Like the toyota and they do have offers in my area that can get me into a base CE model for $22k plus tax and tags which is a 1,000 under invoice but not loving the van to take the risk. Mazda is taking 6,000 off the MPV in my area making a 24,000 van out the door for around $17,500. Thats hard to pass up. Love th price but worry in the long run it wont be worth anything. Any thoughts on resale and if the mazda is worth it just for the low price?

Thanks
  • A local newspaper is looking to talk to a consumer that has or is interested in purchasing a minivan. Please contact ctalati@edmunds.com by December 30 and provide a daytime number that the reporter can contact you back at.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• guestguest Posts: 774
    Ask the ouija board or roll the dice to decide which is the best buy.
    BUY the Honda Odyssey since it is the minivan you love even though it costs the most.
    I bought a new 2006 Sienna LE but immediately knew I made a mistake because I liked the GC SXT features more. I can not detect the superiority of the Sienan DOHC 3.3L V6 over the old fashioned OHV 3.3L V6 that was in my 02 T&C LX and my Sienna lacks the separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger.
    Each minivan has advantages and disadvantages.
    Odyssey has the most flexibility with the Plus 1 seating but costs the most.
    Sienna has the best automatic transmission which can be placed in D-4-3-2-L while Odyssey can select only D-3-L. You can NOT make the Odyssey shift no higher than gear 4 nor shift no higher than gear 2.
    IF you want the MOST power, buy the 2007 Sienna with 266 HP and 245 lb-ft torque.
    IF you want the lowest cost new minivan, buy an entry level Caravan SE. :shades:
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Have you also considered the Kia Sedona? You get all of your safety gear (Side Curtain airbags, etc) in the base LX model, which is being heavily discounted, to the best of my knowledge.

If you're willing to go the used route, getting a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan with Stow N Go (and maybe 20K miles) will be an absolute bargain compared with getting a brand new Grand Caravan.
    Sienna has the best automatic transmission which can be placed in D-4-3-2-L while Odyssey can select only D-3-L. You can NOT make the Odyssey shift no higher than gear 4 nor shift no higher than gear 2.

That's not entirely true. The Odyssey offers D-D3-2-1. It IS true that you cannot select the "4" option. The button below the main shift-release button selects "D3" in which the transmission operates like a 3-speed auto going through 1-2-3. If you select "2" or "1" the transmission will lock into those gears (Starting in ice in "2" is helpful to keep traction, but with VSA it isn't such a big deal).

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Personally, I don't place resale value high on my list.

You're looking at the best minivan on the market, at the best price... the Mazda MPV! Now you want a written invitation? Go out and buy that last Mazda MPV before hans or thegraduate buy it.
  • Absolutely no activity! I'll start posting there when I receive one as a company vehicle next week. As bad as the Freestars are, it can't be worse than the 1984 design of the current new Astro (Jetson's dog!!) I'm now driving.
    What criteria do you use to determine bad?
    IF you want a truck, the Astro is # 1 of the minivans.
    It had a powerful, fuel efficient engine, BIG towing capacity, and large interior space in a vehicle shorter than most minivans.
    How does the driver know if D means Drive for all 5 speeds or D means it is only 3-2-1? Is there any visual reminder? :shades:
  • It's bad because it remained basicly unchanged since it's inception in 1984. Very cramped foot room up front, poor crash ratings, and handles like a truck. Why did they stop making them if it was the only vehicle like it in it's class? The 4.3 engine was the only thing it had going for itself, for the reasons you mentioned.
    There is "D", where you put it once you crank the car. If you push the D3 button, a "D3" indicator shines in yellow in the dash next to the indicator in the instrument panel (as bright as the cruise control indicator does - you can't miss it). You press the D3 button again to go back to normal "D" operation, just as you would by shifting the lever on the Sienna back to "D."

PS - I'm guessing this is hansienna? The Edmunds.com bug of names not showing up is at it again!
    Consider two things when determining if the need for locking in 4th gear is necessary on the Odyssey:

1. The automatic transmission typically does a very good job of knowing what gear is proper for the situation. Grade braking, acceleration, etc. are all performed fairly accurately in auto mode.

2. 5th gear is an ultra-tall gear for the most part, and 4th is similarly to most OD's. 3rd is the usual 1:1, which is what you'd want for highway acceleration/braking so I can't see how locking in 4th would make any difference for utility purposes. 4th provides very little acceleration/engine braking advantages over 5th although the engine will choose that gear in certain circumstances. It's still a tall OD gear and if you are overriding gears for utility purposes, it's not the gear you'll want anyway.
    All of the above is true, but an Ody owner does NOT have all of the choices a Sienna owner does with D-4-3-2-L.
    Just another example of one company having a better idea than the others. :shades:
    In fairness, Honda has a better idea placing the compact spare conveniently inside the Odyssey while Sienna and DC minivans store the compact spare underneath the minivan. The Odyssey Plus 1 Seat between the 2 captain's chairs of 2nd row is another good idea no other minivan has.
    My point was, with the gearing of the Ody, that extra "choice" is not necessary, important, needed, et al. Having the option to lock in 4th would simply make it more difficult to lock into 3rd (1:1) which is the gear anybody would want to lock into anyway.

The Sienna is geared completely different and 4th gear is 1:1 vs 3rd gear for the Ody. So you absolutely need to be able to manually lock into 4th on the Sienna and 3rd gear on the Ody. 4th on the Ody is just a bonus OD gear and if you're driving passive enough to need it, why would you need to lock it in?
    IF the overall engine RPM per gear is equal, the Sienna AT gives the driver 3 accelerating gears while the Ody gives the driver only 2.
    Does the driver prefer 2 Overdrive speeds and 2 accelerating speeds of the Ody :confuse: or 1 Overdrive speed and 3 accelerating speeds of the Sienna? ;)