Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Well, that was a mistake Allpar. The pictures were of the standard Stow N Go seats, not the larger Swivel seats. The Swivel seats do not store, but do fold flat. Bummer.

That is a bummer. I would think instead of making two individual wells, they could make one big one and stow them both. They don't have a drive shaft to worry about. They could still make two doors and one big storage bin. Really do like those bins. Can get just about anything in them.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    BUT not if a table with facing seats and a sink is the ONLY thing important. :shades:
    My sister's 1986 Caravan with 4 cylinder engine was much more comfortable for 7 people than a VW and also got better gas mileage.
    I owned a 1971 VW Bus and a 1977 VW Bus which were fine if a person does not like simple things like a heater, sufficient power, and reliability. My 2002 T&C LX with 3.3L V6, heater and air conditioning front and rear, automatic transmission, power steering, quality stereo, sliding doors on both sides, and MORE and still got better gas mileage than either Volkswagen with their anemic, wheezing, inadequate 4 cylinder engines.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    I'm anxious to see the VW version of the DCX vans!! Diesel? Typical german interior (which really appeals to me)? I hope it doesn't look like a rebadged DCX minivan (what's the point??)!!!
    NOT to me after owning Volkswagen junk. :shades:
  • ch1313ch1313 Posts: 12
    Like all "follow the leader" march, I'm sure you will find Honda, Toyota and Nissan will follow Chrysler with the swivel seat in their next minivans. I still don't like Chrysler redesign of their cars to be boxy. Correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't a boxy car cause more air turbulance, and eat gas more? What sells 300 or Magnum doesn't necessary translate selling point for minivan.

There is one feature that a lot car makers do tend to overlook: automatic shutoff of lights. My 2004 Quest can shutoff its internal light automatically when I accidently left the doors ajar. My friend who owns a Sienna told me that her van doesn't have that feature. She said she had to jumpstart her van twice because she forgot to close the door.
  • Like all "follow the leader" march, I'm sure you will find Honda, Toyota and Nissan will follow Chrysler with the swivel seat in their next minivans. I still don't like Chrysler redesign of their cars to be boxy. Correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't a boxy car cause more air turbulance, and eat gas more? What sells 300 or Magnum doesn't necessary translate selling point for minivan. "

I think I prefer the current tapered back end, although teh new tail lights are better. The front end looks WAAAYYYYY better now. Really cool looking. It also will give me some peace of mind about something that is a longshot, but I often wonder about as I drive on the windy roads near my house in NW NJ. You see dead deer on the roads contantly around here. The way the current DCX vans are designed, if you hit a deer at a decent speed, that thing will almost definitely just slide up the hood and through your windshield. And that can be deadly. The squared up front would help with that. I know it's a minor issue, but it's an added benefit of what I think is a better look, too

"There is one feature that a lot car makers do tend to overlook: automatic shutoff of lights. My 2004 Quest can shutoff its internal light automatically when I accidently left the doors ajar. My friend who owns a Sienna told me that her van doesn't have that feature. She said she had to jumpstart her van twice because she forgot to close the door. "

My 2004 T&C must do that - we left one of the sliders open over nite a few months ago and the lights were off the next day
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    "There is one feature that a lot car makers do tend to overlook: automatic shutoff of lights. My 2004 Quest can shutoff its internal light automatically when I accidently left the doors ajar. My friend who owns a Sienna told me that her van doesn't have that feature. She said she had to jumpstart her van twice because she forgot to close the door. "

My 2004 T&C must do that - we left one of the sliders open over nite a few months ago and the lights were off the next day

Our 2000 Odyssey had this feature too; it was a 10 minute shutoff. I know the new ones do as well.
  • panmaxpanmax Posts: 24
    "I still don't like Chrysler redesign of their cars to be boxy. Correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't a boxy car cause more air turbulence, and eat gas more? What sells 300 or Magnum doesn't necessary translate selling point for minivan."

Boxy means more room for the same outside size. A van must carry things so more room is good. If gas prices rise, boxy will be even more popular so that a boxy big van can carry more and a boxy smaller van will carry what the Odyssey does today with better mileage. At city speeds, more turbulence does not eat enough gas to make up for more weight. A boxy van can be made lighter and smaller and carry just as much. Japan has many boxy small vans and cars. Gas is expensive there and space for roads is at a premium.

"There is one feature that a lot car makers do tend to overlook: automatic shut off of lights."

My 2002 Odyssey does not have this feature. My ancient Chrysler van does have it. I dread the day when battery is dead due to lights on.
    "There is one feature that a lot car makers do tend to overlook: automatic shut off of lights."

My 2002 Odyssey does not have this feature.

Leave your doors or hatch open for 15 minutes, then return to your car. Unless you manually switched the lights on, they should automatically turn off.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Boxy is back to DCX's original design. The boxy back end should really enlarge the perception for rear seat passengers.

I love the battery protection - it's really just a very low cost timer circuit. It probably costs manufacturers $0.15 to add to vehicle. When I'm camping, many times my sliding door and hatch are open for easy access to gear (and my brave pittbull likes to hide in van when something scares him!). Its nice knowing I won't end up with dead battery
    Too bad panmax doesn't realize that his Odyssey has this feature for the doors and hatch! Come back, panmax!!!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I like it, but now there's a void in the Short Wheelbase market for people looking for an affordable van.

I think DCX should have built a SWB Dodge Caravan, but I don't know if they were losing money on the current SWBs.
  • I like it, but now there's a void in the Short Wheelbase market for people looking for an affordable van. "

The Kia SWB's look like they'll be the only game in town...
    BUT the Kia Sedona gas mileage has improved drastically from the gas guzzling 15 City 20 Highway in 2002 to 18/25 which is still LESS than the Caravan SXT 19/26.

The Sedona has a VERY SMALL 12.9 cu ft cargo space vs 23.5 cu ft of Caravan. (Minivan leader Sienna has 43.6 cu ft). Many sedans have more cargo space in the trunk than the Sedona has behind the 3rd row seat. :shades:

If the Caravan/SWB T&C is discontinued in 2008 it will be very sad news for minivan buyers. :sick:
  • These are great looking vans! I can't believe I am excited about an american minivan again! Outstandng job DCX!
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The current Caravan/T&C SWB and Sedona SWB have very similar length and wheelbase, the Sedona SWB shines in other areas. Save the Sienna since there is no SWB version offered here.

To be fair, the LWB Sedona has 32.2 cu. ft. behind the third row, which is not shabby at all!

As far as the range is concerned, Kia is currently the king in the van class, with Rondo, Sedona SWB, Sedona LWB all part of the lineup - impressive!!
  • Hey guys,

I am sure some of you remember me asking questions on here,and some of the other forums last month.I wanted to update you guys on what we did with regard to buying a van.On January 2nd we struck a deal on a certified pre-owned 2006 Toyota Sienna LE w/pckg #1 in Slate metallic.The van has 17K miles on it,and has a 7-100k miles powertrain warranty.We also opted for the platinum coverage which extends the bumper-tobumper coverage to the same 7-100k.

So far we love the van,and can't get over how much room is in the rear for storage.Also I can't believe how quiet the van is when driving on the freeway.It is almost as if it isn't revving.In our search for a van we test drove almost every model,and almost bought both a Chrysler,and a Kia,but ended up with the Toyota mainly because we could afford more van with this one being certified,and Toyota offering 0.0% financing for 60 months,which we of course chose.

I wish I could go into the story of our first trip to a Toyota dealer,which almost turned me off to buying a Toyota,but I don't have the time right now,and it is probably against forum policy to bad mouth a dealer.This is the classic story of high pressure sales,and treating the buyer like a piece of meat.If you want I can go into it more in detail later,but for now I need to get to work.Thanks for the help,and I hope we made the right decision with the Toyota.

Chris
  • d5ad5a Posts: 63
    Glad to hear you found a van. I was in the same boat about 3 weeks ago. Looked at them all then decided on a 2006 Mazda MPV. We also looked at a new and used toyota. I liked them alot but even the used van was still expensive for us. We bought our MPV from a toyota/mazda store and I have to agree with what you said. We had the same dealership experience, a very hard sell. I ended up leaving and looking around for amount a month before we bought our van just because I could not handle the sales people. I then, later went on the computer and dealt with the internet department at the same toyota/mazda dealership and had a great experience. No pressure! I did it all on line and just went and picked up the van. I got $8,000 off a new MPV from making the deal online. I even got a new toyota down to 22k with zero fin. but decided on the MPV for price reasons and more it had a little more equipment on it. I couldn't have had a better car buying experience. I think online buying is the new car buying/sales way to go. The sales person works off how many cars they sell not commission off of each sale. So they are more up front about what they can sell you the car for. Plus your not there for hours dealing with a salesmen treating you like your clueless. I sat in my house drank coffee and emailed them back when I could. Then when I was happy with the offer I said yes and went and picked it up. Took 20 min. at the dealership. I Signed the paper work. The van was cleaned up when I got there. Got the keys and left. From now on I think its the way I will buy cars. Others should try it. Its so much more relaxed and less stress full. Just my thoughts.

Glad your happy with the van its one of the roommiest inside. And its a toyota you cant go wrong.

Dave
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I wonder how many SWB minivans DCX was moving, and why they decided to drop it. I'd think that there would still be a market for an SWB minivan, especially if Kia is getting into the game.

I also think it was a mistake for GM and DCX to drop AWD from their lineup too, as that leaves Toyota as the only AWD game in town...
  • bobber1bobber1 Posts: 217
    Chris,

Glad to hear you finally found one. I remember you agonized over this decision and you were operating on a tight budget.

It's hard to go wrong with a Toyota. I did a lot of shopping and the Honda and Toyota were my final two choices. I ended up buying the Honda, but I'm sure would have been equally happy with a Toyota.