Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The need to seat 5 comfortably would point me towards a minivan that had 3 seats in the middle row. That leaves the rear cargo area completely empty for the most flexible cargo needs.

In my humble opinion, the van that does that best is the Sienna 8 seater, and by a wide margin.

I mean wide literally, too. Check the 8th seat, it's wider than the Odyssey's.

We got a new 2007, but had similar needs - 3 adults (including our nanny), and 2 kids in boosters.

The nanny can fit comfortably between the 2 kids. She has her own seat belt, and it's seat mounted, so no hunting for a seat belt on the ceiling.

In your case, I would put the rear facing infant in the middle, you can even move it front and center, closer to his/her mom. The 3rd adult and the child in the booster would sit in the outboard seats.

You have more cargo space behind that 2nd row then your XTerra does behind the first row. The space is massive.

Given your price range, I would look for a 2004 or 2005 Sienna CE or LE, make sure it's an 8 passenger model.

Of course any 7 passenger van would manage, but you'll have to penalize the 3rd adult by sending them to the 3rd row, i.e. the time out chair. ;)
  • jahnu04jahnu04 Posts: 58
    Thanks - I will check out the 8 passenger Sienna. I have read most of the messages you have posted on the Sienna and other forums, very informative.
    Thanks. I try to be. :shades:
  • aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    Brand new 2007 base model Town & Country. Remove the 2nd row bench and move the 3rd row bench to the middle row. Can be had for under $15K out the door in many markets, depending on equipment. Bonus, lifetime powertrain warratny effective today.
    Saw that warranty thing, that's crazy. They're going to pay out for a lot of transmissions. Life time?!

Seems like a really big gamble for Cerburus. That's gonna be a long-term liability for them.

Great for the buyer, though.

The Catch: it's not transferable, and that might make residuals worse than they are now, i.e. makes more sense to buy new because that's the only way you get the warranty.

Of the really long warranties, only Suzuki's is fully transferable (7/100).
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Posts: 483
    "They're going to pay out for a lot of transmissions. Life time?!
    ============================================================

The transmission problems, which were some of the worst in the industry, ceased being an issues several years ago. They now rank at least average or better among all makes. Those memories lingers on though and that is the driving force behind the warranties.
    Just keep your receipts for ATF fluid services to be safe.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    I will agree that this is an excellent deal in terms of minivans, especially if you keep them forever.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    My Honda dealer has a similar lifetime warranty scheme. The trick is you have to have all your maintenance done by them. I'm sure Chrysler is doing the same thing and requiring all work to be done by their dealers to keep the warranty going.
    "... requiring all work to be done by their dealers to keep the warranty going."

It has been unlawful for many decades for an auto manufacturer to require all work be done by the dealer to keep the warranty in place.

A dealers own "special" extended warranty, which is separate from the manufacturers warranty, may contain that requirement in some states.

The Chrysler warranty is the manufacturers warranty.

Anyone who encounters difficulties with the dealer accepting the maintenance work of a lawfully authorized repair facility should contact Federal authorities for assistance.
    "Just keep your receipts for ATF fluid services to be safe."
    ============================================================

A good idea; but be sure to consult the service manual to see if a change in fluids is recommended at all - if not it could invite a confrontation with a service writer if the trans does fail. Always use exactly the fluid type/brand that the manufacturer advises.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    This is all I have on it so far:

Warranty
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    All of the details (and fine print) can be found here:

http://www.carspyshots.net/zerothread?id=23692

EDIT: looks like the forum is running a bit slow (something wrong with the host so be patient...it's got good info there).
    Thank you, Magnussen-Moss. :shades:
  • musscmussc Posts: 3
    Do you think Dodge/Chrysler will extend it's great rebates in the wake of it's lifetime powertrain warranty. I just looked on their website and they aren't offering ANY.

Do you think we missed the boat by not purchasing one by today? I could have gotten a new Dodge Crew Cab for less than $20,000 (over $10,000 off the MSRP)

As far as the resale price, why would anyone ever need to sell a Dodge if they have a lifetime warranty. They could always pass it on to their kids and keep it in their name. There won't be as many on the market, which will naturally raise the resale price eventhough the warranty is not transferable. Also if your engine and trans. blow, and you get them both replaced, that may also be a good time to sell.
    Well, not many kids want to drive around in a minivan. They don't need the space, it uses more gas, and having that many passengers in a vehicle they're driving is very distracting and it actually the #1 risk factor for teen driving.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Well, not many kids want to drive around in a minivan. They don't need the space, it uses more gas, and having that many passengers in a vehicle they're driving is very distracting and it actually the #1 risk factor for teen driving.

And, hel-looo, it is a minivan, which is like, SO not cool, ya know? ;)
    My kids think the van is cool, but then again the older one is just 8. They don't have those hang-ups and insecurities that teens have. ;)

Actually, they only care that they can bring their friends along and watch a movie to boot.
  • dbtdbt Posts: 298
    I couldn't stay away :)
    In order of sales:
    Odyssey 14141 (-19.6%)
    Caravan/T&C 13458 (approx -42%)
    SIENNA 11,599 (-12.7%)

Thud.
    Do you have YTD numbers?

Honda had the annoying Mr. Opportunity deals with low-rate financing. I'd except better seasonal sales for them in the summer.

The 08 Sienna already started production, in fact dealers are already getting them. Bluetooth and standard VSC are the highlights.