Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Swiveling rear entertainment systems, blind-spot monitoring and backup sensors for their '09 minivans - according to Autoblog.com Also, realtime traffic on their "My Gig" radios

The backup sensors must be different from what they're currently offering.
    Wow, they're even offering mobile WiFi for their minivans!!!
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    Wow, they're even offering mobile WiFi for their minivans!!!

I wonder if I can add this on to my 08.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The 1MZ and 3MZ engines on the Sienna had timing belts, but the 07+ Siennas have timing chains on the 2GR engines that never need servicing.

Just FYI. :shades:
    Nice updates. I'd like to see how the DVD screens swivel. Is it both, or just the rear one?

Traffic info is cool. I use my BlackBerry and Google Maps to get traffic data. It's not always up to date, but at least you get some info.
    I think the biggest items will be 2009 safety items.....better head restraints as mandated by Uncle Sam, and the Blind Spot detection systems. Honda added their head restraints for 2008, they why they were rated higher than other minivans by the insurance institute. This will level the playing field and put Chrysler ahead, depending on what changes are coming out for the Ody in 09?
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    It's Tuesday so that means it's Mazda chat time again! Stop in tonight and meet and greet some of your fellow CarSpace members. We'll talk anything and everything Mazda, automotive, and just plain have a good time.

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

Yeah, I think Toyota was behind in that regard. Subaru had the new headrests back in 2006, I think. What's taking so long?
    What is taking so long is people like me who hate them.

Now I'm glad I got an 08. I hate all these new headrests. They push your head so far forward that I find them uncomfortable. What I don't understand is that I think they have some give to them that allows them to recede back slightly in a head on collision and minimize whip lash. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't most whip lash caused by rear end collisions?
    Yeah, people complain in the Subaru threads as well.

IIHS tests show the newer Subaru headrests are very effective, at least.

So there seems to be a trade-off.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

I may be out of my territory here and perhaps I don't understand but when I looked at the various brochures it seemed to indicate that they were made to offset effects for front end collisions. I question how much affect they have when it really counts -- read end collisions. Having been rear ended twice in my van and suffering mild whip lash -- I think these head rests are just window dressing.
    I'm not totally clear on what changes they made, either, to be honest.

IIHS safety data does seem to sell cars, though. They're touted in many car commercials.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Are they warranted for the life of the vehicle?

I have not seen any Toyota ads that provide a lifetime warranty like Chrysler has. :shades:
    The best solution are active head restraints that sense an impact and move forward to lessen whiplash. I know Saab has them in their cars, maybe BMW and Mercedes? I don't know who else. This gives you comfort and protection but cost more to manufacture.
    That comes with a catch. Two, actually.

First, you have to have periodic inspections of you powertrain for it to qualify for that "warranty".

Second, there is a $50 deductible for each problem that occurs, I believe.

Basically you'll have to pay more for dealer servicing in the long-term for that coverage to remain valid.

So it's not quite free, as you might expect.

It is a step in the right direction, but a prospective buyer should be aware of those two hitches.
    You have to have an powertrain inspection every 5 years at no charge, within a 60 day period - not too demanding. They say on the website - no deductibles, and you need to do periodic maintainance...i.e.. oil changes, fluids.

Here's what I found on Chrysler's site:

# Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
    # A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.

# Q5: When does the new warranty coverage take effect?
    # A5: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty begins at the end of the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.
    # Q6: Why is Chrysler changing its warranty coverage?
    # A6: Our confidence level in our vehicles is very high. Our dealers are telling us that our products are the best quality they've seen in a very, very long time – maybe ever. So, we'd like to take this level of confidence and share it with you, our customers. This new powertrain warranty demonstrates our commitment to you as a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge customer and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. We want you to feel that same confidence.
    # Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
    # A7: Vehicles that are not covered under the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty include SRT models, Diesel vehicles, Sprinter models, Ram Chassis Cab and certain fleet vehicles.
    # Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?
    # A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.
    # Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?
    # A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.
    # Q10: How does your new lifetime powertrain warranty coverage compare to your competitors?
    # A10: We are the first and only OEM to offer a lifetime powertrain warranty.
    # Q11: What is different from your 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty to the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    # A11: The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150. The new lifetime warranty has no deductible and is not transferable.
    # Q12: If I purchased my vehicle on July 24 or 25, am I still eligible for the new lifetime limited warranty?
    # A12: No. However, Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage.
    # Q13: How long will this new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty be offered on Chrysler vehicles?
    # A13: At this time, we plan to continue this warranty program through the 2008 MY.
    # Q14: How can I learn more about Chrysler’s new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    # A14: Initially, warranty details will be provided as a supplement to the current vehicle Warranty Information Books. Revised warranty books for future vehicles are currently under development. Customers may also visit Chrysler.com, Dodge.com and Jeep.com for more information.
    # Q15: Is towing included in the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty program?
    # A15: No. Our research indicates that most consumers have independent towing service plans such as AAA.
    # Q16. Are Mexico, Canada and International markets offering the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
    # A16: No. This is a U.S. program only.
    # Q17: Is this just a marketing promotion to drive traffic to your dealerships?
    # A17: No. This demonstrates our commitment to improved quality on all our vehicles. This isn't a rebate or financing incentive. We stand behind our products with capital investment in facilities and technology. Our warranty programs exemplify our investment in powertrain. It's a move of strength.
    # Q18: What does 'lifetime' mean?
    # A18: Lifetime is lifetime.
    A clarification:

My 2002 T&C LX had a 7 year 100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty that was transferred within the family at NO COST.

I think the new Lifetime Warranty was conceived to promote sales since the 7 year 100,000 mile Powetrain Warranty helped me decide to buy the T&C. The Chrysler statements concerning the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty remind me too much of statements made by politicians where truth is manipulated. :shades:
    Dennis: thanks for clarifying.

I guess Dodge dealers could use that inspection to recommend ATF fluid changes and other service, but by that interval you'd be wise to follow their advice anyway.

It's just that I do my own service when I can, keeping receipts of course. I wouldn't want to be forced in to a dealer for an inspection, then have them tell me I need a bunch of things done by them. Hopefully at least they give you a list of items after the inspection, and you can take care of them wherever you'd choose.

I'm not too worried - I've had quotes for a 7/100 bumper-to-bumper warranty from Toyota in the $700 range, and just $585 for a 7/75k since I don't drive that many miles per year. My van shows no signs of having problems, so I'll play it by ear, then decide towards the end of my 3/36 warranty. After that the pricing goes up, of course.

I'm not too worried about the powertrain - it's things like power sliding doors that can cost a small fortune to fix. At least the Sienna's can be disabled, and you can use the doors like normal manual sliding doors.
    I think it's getting to the point where you'll almost have to take it to dealer for everything, especially with the maintainance monitors appearing in more and more cars. I know on my BMW, the dealer would have to reset the oil monitor, and even if they didn't change the oil, they'd charge for resetting it!!!!

I know Dodge designed their sliding door to work manually or with power assist also...no issue there.
    Dodge/Chrysler power sliding doors work better than my Sienna power sliding doors when opened or closed manually. :shades: