Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    Hey Jipster,

It takes people like us who like great handling vehicles to appreciate and drive the Ody and MPV up to and close to their limits.

Those who are not so inclined, have correctly found their ways into "lesserlings" like the Sedona that leans sideways like a beached whale when cornering.
  • supcrdssupcrds Posts: 11
    2.)Underpowered vs the Ody. 200hp vs 255hp(3L vs 3.5L) just would not cut it for me. Yes, I love ponies!

MPV
    curb weight:3772 lb
    hp :200
    torque :200

ODY :4537
    hp :255
    torque :250

Any one out there know the 0 to 60 on these two. I have a hard time thinking that the ODY is much faster with an extra 765 Lbs. I am guessing about even.
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    lol... 120 mph... how often u get this kind of night/day dream?
    Odyssey top speed: 117 mph (government limit)
    Also, i would think a mazda sport car miata would roll-over at 120 mph on a 90 degree turn(except in Need For Speed Underground)! lol
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Like mac said...We have a need...a need for speed!
    AND sporty handling! ;-)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    "Like mac said...We have a need...a need for speed!
    AND sporty handling! ;-)"

May I suggest you guys buy a sports car then? If I had a need for speed, it sure wouldn't be in a mini van. But to each his own I guess.
    The Ody will do 0 - 60 in about 7.3 secs and the Sienna at 7.4 secs per C & D. These numbers are better than many sport sedans out there. I have not seen any numbers on the MPV, but based on the extracted paragraphs below from Edmunds.com, it is probably much slower. I will only know if someone tries to hustle my Ody with an MPV on an off-ramp. LOL.

"Despite the freshened interior and exterior and Mazda's claim that the MPV has the soul of a sports car, we feel there is too much body roll when cornering to merit a sporty label. In our recent minivan comparison test, we said the Honda Odyssey was "the BMW of minivans" and the MPV has not shaken our confidence in that statement. The MPV does offer nicely weighted, quick steering that gives it a sporty feel around town, but our slalom test revealed that the sportiness is only skin-deep. The MPV is smaller overall than most minivans, making it slightly more maneuverable and easy to live with in crowded areas, but it still falls short in overall driving dynamics.

While Mazda's incremental improvements have added to the value and alternative nature of this minivan, it's the mechanical elements that really need Mazda's attention. The 200-hp engine provides barely adequate acceleration when judged on its own merits, but jump into a Honda, Nissan or Toyota minivan and the difference in power alone is obvious. The 3.0-liter V6 also lacks refinement and is quite noisy under heavy acceleration. We know Mazda can do better as the engines in the 3, 6 and the Miata are much smoother and more civilized. Even the old Millenia motor was much better than the current MPV power plant."
    The Ody is just one of 5 vehicles in our household. Since I want a minivan for flexibility and practicality and I like an engaging drive, the minivan must be fun to drive, agile, and fast for its class.

The Ody fits those requirements to a T. The Sienna comes close in acceleration but is less fun to drive. Both are great vehicles!

Now, my next project would be to get the Chrysler 300C SRT8 with the 425HP 6.1L Hemi which becomes available in summer. It is a bargain at about $40K. The 5.7L Hemi version handles very well for a large car and is fun to drive - which is likely due to the Benz suspension. Just knowing that you have the confidence to blow the socks off almost anyone at a traffic light to 60mph if you want to is a great feeling.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    The Kia Sedona will do 122mph before giving up the ghost. If the Odyssey does only 117mph top speed as stated above, one can therefore conclude that the Sedona is the driver's minivan and the Ody isn't.
    Oops! Wishful thinking! Very much so!

Very interesting...

SOme folks are fooled that because a vehicle's speedometer has a 160mph range, that the vehicle can do 160mph. Many vehicles are limited(governor) to certain upper speed limits only because of the speed safety ratings of the tires, not because the vehicle cannot go faster.

Like as stated in the recent Edmunds long term report on the 2005 Ody, there are indeed some folks who have been "living under the bassinet for the past 5 years"
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    I don't think anyone with a modicum of intelligence assumes that just because their minivan's speedo goes to 160 that the vehicle will actually DO 160MPH.

And while I have neglected to respond to idiotic statements made here recently: "Many vehicles are limited(governor) to certain upper speed limits only because of the speed safety ratings of the tires, not because the vehicle cannot go faster."

macakava, if they are limited by governor to a certain top end speed then they will in fact, not go above that governed speed, no matter what the reason for the governor is. So unless you are saying we should throw modded chips into the Ody to release it from it's governed top speed, then it doesn't matter why it is governed....it still will not exceed that speed.

Officially, I agree with the past poster....macakava, your van is the best. Now please stop posting stupidity about outrunning people on the offramp doing 90mph in your family vehicle.
  • deepandeepan Posts: 342
    from the above numbers the ody is 18.1 lb/hp
    whereas the MPV is 18.8lbs/hp
  • davenowdavenow Posts: 171
    >>Officially, I agree with the past poster....macakava, your van is the best. Now please stop posting stupidity about outrunning people on the offramp doing 90mph in your family vehicle.<<

...with the kids in the back...

lol

this board is way too fun!!!:) Whoo WHOO!!!
    If you are so inclined to do so, you can reprogram the EPROM if you want to, FYI. Thinking out of the BOX.

Then, you would be in the forum category of "Where are the high performance minivans"

See ya at the off-ramp...
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Um, not to pick nits or anything....but the Ody is at 17.8 lbs/hp (4537lbs/255hp). Perhaps you used the 250 ft-lbs of torque rating instead?
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    Was looking at the 2005 Cars issue yesterday.

In the Vehicle profiles, they have the 2005 Odyssey, which came out in October, with a reliability rating of a half red circle. Yet, if you look at other cars such as the new GM minivans and Grand Cherokee, released a month later, as well as other vehicles that came out much earlier, like the Equinox and the 300, that all have a reliability rating of "new". How can CR determine the reliability of a completely redesigned minivan, especially one with VCM, in a few months? If you say it's because the previous one was reliable, then it doesn't account for the ratings of other redesigned cars not being available. Another example is the last section, with the reliability for each year. Under Grand Cherokee, for Predicted reliability, it says "redesigned for 2005". For the Odyssey, it has the half red star

Something smells fishy...
  • denver5357denver5357 Posts: 319
    Typically if a car is redesigned for a new model year (vs. an entirely new model), CR will say something like "Redesigned for 2005 but based on past reliability ratings for this model we expect reliability to be similar."

For NEW cars -- and all the examples you site seem to be new -- then CR will say "new."
  • mrblonde49mrblonde49 Posts: 626
    "For NEW cars -- and all the examples you site seem to be new -- then CR will say "new." "

I thought that may have been it initially, wehen I looked at the Equinox and 300, but the GM minivans and the Grand Cherokees are redesigned models. Yet they say "new". Like I said, something doesn't seem right...
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    "Typically if a car is redesigned for a new model year (vs. an entirely new model), CR will say something like "Redesigned for 2005 but based on past reliability ratings for this model we expect reliability to be similar."

But this model Honda is all new. New engine and new transmission, new body.It should also have been rated as Reedesigned for 2005
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    I'm sorry but unless you have been lurking in the civic board too long, adding a modded chip to your minivan does not make it anywhere near high performance. What intense01 did to his bonneville in the bonneville forum, or the 7.0L twin-turbocharged Fairmont that my friend drools over is high performance. These are completely overhauled vehicles that smash acceleration rates, hold on the skidpad like they have a death-grip, and can stop hard enough to throw you from the car. High performance means the total package: ridiculous acceleration, intense stopping, tuned suspension, excellent roadholding, and a capable transmission to distribute all that power. Minivans by their nature would require nearly a complete tear-down to approach high performance. Throwing a chip into an overweight, aerodynamically challenged big metal box does not make it high-performance.

If you want easy high performance, go get a WRX STI and call it a day. And leave the minivan for the trips to see your aunty Mildred.
  • craigmricraigmri Posts: 243
    Lastwraith,

Mac's Oddyssey is high performance. We all agree'd to that already in addition all our Minivans are garbage. He feels better this way so we just go along with it. Anyone who brags about racing other minivans is obviously a very serious minivan enthusiast.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Special racing stripes
    dual exhaust
    supercharger
    nitrous
    tinted windows
    armor all on the tires