Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• Claire@EdmundsClaire@Edmunds Chicago areaPosts: 968
    Congrats on your new car, rr1! You might also want to post in the Honda Odyssey: Prices Paid and Buying Experience Forum to see what other members think of the deal you got.

Claire

HOST

• tamu2002tamu2002 Posts: 758
    We're looking to buy a van real soon. we've narrowed down to the Quest and the Grand Caravan. We love the Quest's styling, modern interior and comfortable seats. Funny but the lack of 3rd row split seating has become the biggest sticking point. Having had a GC as a rental for 2 weeks, my wife has grown to really appeciate this feature, particular she plans to carry a double stroller in the van all the time. We have 3 kids, so the 3rd row will always be occupied with one car seat which makes the Quest's fold-into-floor-3rd-row feature practically disappear. If we keep a hugh double stroller in the well, will there be enough room left for groceryies?? Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks!
  • irgirg Posts: 197
    Tamu,
    This lack of a split folding back seat was one of the main reasons why I never even considered the Quest, that and the poor quality control with the 2004 vans. But it would seem so simple to me, that once they saw that the Sienna and the Odyssey had a split design, they would do the same. But they didn't, and neither did Ford. Also the turning radius is quite poor for some odd reason.

Of these two vans, I think the GC is a better value. Picked second too by JD Power for Initial quality with the Sienna #1. I ended up with a Sienna XLE and I love it, and my wife who is the main driver of this, loves it too. We are expecting child #3 soon, so my reasoning was similar to yours - 2 kids in the middle row, one in the back, and what do you do if you can't split the third row? In the Sienna and probably the Quest too, the trunk space with the seats up is huge. One reason why I didn't consider the GM vans, was this complete lack of thought and convenience here. Whether you can get a stroller and groceries in the space is debatable. I just bought a new stroller myself, and haven't even opened it yet. I know though, with the Sienna I could do both so it isn't a question, same with the Odyssey. Any reason why you aren't considering the Sienna or Odyssey? For me I liked the Sienna best (really liked the Ody too) and the icing on the cake was the best van to finance for me was the Sienna - bought it at Fitzmall in MD, even though I Iive in NY. If you have to pick between the Quest and the GC, I would go with the GC. Probably cheaper too. We didn't like the interior, but I didn't care for the Quest's futuristic intererior either. IMO it will look dated very quickly.
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    Well Consummer's Report might have rated the Honda as the best mini van but the U.S. government just ordered 24,000 Dodge minivans.
    Thanks for your comments irg! We're almost in the exactly same situation:two kids, 3rd on the way, a new double stroll that hasn't been opened yet ;) I posted some of our thoughts in the DGC board (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef17c61) message #160 if you're interested. Basically the Odyssey and Sienna are out of our price range--a huge mortgage and a one-car payment are hard to deal with already. So we're trying hard to spend as little as possible on this van. Looks like we're gonna have to forgo some of the neat features on the DGC :(
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Posts: 421
    How about doing a test drive with your family and the double stroller in all the minivans you are considering to see how everything fits? Going by what you read or hear might not apply to you. At least this way you will know first hand both the pluses and minuses for each since your undecided. :shades:
    Just the thought of it makes me tired :P The dealers are all quite far away, and I'd like to keep the stroller nicely packed in the box because we're moving this weekend. Too many things going on for me to test out the stroller in the van. You guys have been very helpful though!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Was it the US or Canadian Government? If US Govt, we taxpayers hope they are made in Fenton, MO. If Canadian, they should be made in Ontario. :blush:
    How about doing a test drive with your family and the double stroller in all the minivans you are considering to see how everything fits?

Well you could put your kids in the third row seat and put your double stroller right inside the side door all set up with stow-n-go. No need to fold it up. I doubt you would have to stow more than one seat either.
    Was it the US or Canadian Government? If US Govt, we taxpayers hope they are made in Fenton, MO. If Canadian, they should be made in Ontario.

It was the US government that ordered the 24,000 Dodge minivans. Don't know where they'll be made. The MO. plant is now also making Stow-n-Go instead of just the shorter vans. But even if many are Canadian, most of the parts are American.
  • strstr Posts: 64
    Are the double strollers really that huge? I am ordering the dreamer design ditto double jogging stroller next week and I have to be able to get more stuff into the back of our Envoy than just a stroller. We are looking at a Sienna XLE and a Montana SV6 and I am hoping that this double stroller will fit into them without having to fold down the seat. Mine will be carried in the back of which ever vehicle we have at all times because I walk and run every evening with my children. I am not about to haul that thing in every time we need to put something else in the back. I have not looked at the Sienna XLE in person yet but just seeing them around you would think they would fit a stroller and groceries or whatever in the back. I know the SV6 doesn't have much space in the back but don't these strollers fold flat? How much space are we talking about here?
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    I'm sure that all those Canadian-made Crown Victorias and Impalas qualify as "domestic" when thew US government does their purchasing.
    Hey why didn't I think of that? Good diea! Although with three kids (one a baby), double stroller, and groceries, my wife will have to do some major thinking every time she puts them in the van ;)
    Hey why didn't I think of that? Good diea! Although with three kids (one a baby), double stroller, and groceries, my wife will have to do some major thinking every time she puts them in the van

Still no problem with the Dodge/Chrysler. They have a well behind the rear seat for groceries and you have space for three kids to sit, plus being able to put in a stroller that is not folded. She wouldn't have to pick it up at all. Just tilt it back and wheel it in the side door. Stow-n-Go is perfect for a family to carry things. That's the beauty of Stow-N-Go, veratility to carry the things you need without breaking your back lifting it, taking out those heavy seats. and still have room under the seats to hide all kinds of stuff you don't want sitting out.
    I totally agree, but see here's our problem--we LOVE the versatility of the DGC but hate the interior and dislike the exterior color (except for red); and we LOVE everything about the Quest (almost) but HATE the lack of 3rd row split. We're torn between emotions and reasons ;)
    If you like the Quest that much, you should buy it. But I have found after the newness wears off, you start to realize what you like or dislike about your van. You need to weigh your priorities with what you want and how your going to use it.
    Agree. Buy the Quest if you prefer it. It is also a very good minivan. :)
    for your thoughts. I'll let you know what I end up getting. I'm pretty sure if I can get a base Quest for $20K we'll go for it. We decided it's probably worth saving the $2K forgoing the nice features of the DGC. That's 10% reduction in spending if you think of it that way.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    For what it is worth, an office coworker of mine bought a "base" Grand Caravan SE with Stow and Go option earlier this spring for a bit less than $20K+TTL. I believe the rebates now are as good or better than they were when he bought.

The center garbage can console that Nissan puts in their Quest will keep me from ever considering it as a good choice, despite whatever other good features it may have.
    In addition to hideous center console, the name Quest sounds just like the telephone company headquartered in Denver Colorado called Qwest. Another reason to buy the Odyssey or Grand Caravan. :blush: