Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• daedae Posts: 143
    Not sure about the upgrade radio, CD/cassette

Those things can be argued ad nauseum.

I can counter (as I did) that even in the cheapest trim on Honda you still get the same nice engine and all safety features as stability control and three-row side impact airbag.

That's why those marketing droids are on payroll. To find people who are fascinated with the cheapest possible doodad to pay the highest possible price. We are all sucke...^H^H^H consumers.

I will leave that discussion at that. :) (My marketing/product launch meetings are over... Less time to browse the net and flame. Hate those folks in my outfit..)
  • marine2marine2 Posts: 1,155
    I can counter (as I did) that even in the cheapest trim on Honda you still get the same nice engine and all safety features as stability control and three-row side impact airbag.

That's all nice and good. But I don't believe that is really what sells a van or a car to many women and that is who mostly drives them. Chrysler doesn't make them standard on their vans, saying not that many people ask for them. They want the electric doors and hatch. Good price and good looks. Can you imagine the vans Chrysler would sell if they dressed up their inside a bit. I doubt you would have anymore asking for side airbags. They want those power sliding doors and hatch. and all those goodies. You can bet if people were bugging Chrysler about side airbags, they'd make them standard. Or at least have a bunch on their lots.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Honda wins morality points by making side curtain airbags standard. As well as VSC which is standard as well. Every vehicle should have them.
    Honda wins morality points by making side curtain airbags standard. As well as VSC which is standard as well. Every vehicle should have them.

I agree. But Chrysler, along with GM and Ford are in a money crises. They are going to put on their vans what they think will better sell them and it isn't side airbags. Did you know my 2005 Dodge has an airbag for my knees, under the dash? Chrysler didn't feel it important enough to even advertise it.

As it is, they stripped a lot off my van that my brother has on his to save money. I have no pin lights on my door for any of the switches except my window. Key ring light is gone, they took one of the two lights on the vanity mirrors, one of two lights off the rear hatch, glove box light, and de-icer off the bottom of the windshield. My brother's van has all of those. To many people buying foreign.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Many of the things DC minivans formerly had and no longer have were NEVER part of many other minivans.
    I like the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger that has been available on almost all DC minivans but the strippers made for rental and lease. This nice feature had been a comfort item only on the very expensive luxury vehicles until DaimlerChrysler made it available for the common man. Same with the nice complete overhead console with compass/outside temperature and trip computer. The first I heard of this was when a friend told me about it being on his wife's Cadillac. ;)
    I like the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger

Odyssey EX has that and you make it sound like that is something exceptional nowdays. Is it?

Many good ideas appear first somewhere. I really found no correlation between current quality and features and being first to the market. All minivan innovations appeared somewhere first. But for historical interest it does not matter much - except for high inestment high tech items, as suspension, or engine, or electrical subsystem: were long good track record does count.

Ergonomic features are too easy to replicate to be in this category.
    (you are kidding, right? It's a STROLLER.)

Yes, a Stroller with all capital letters. Those things are humongous. :sick: I am thankful to have a 5'9" ex-gymnast and an avid rockclimber handling them.

I can totally understand why many will find it extremely burdensome to load them.

Dang.. I promised to quit posting today..
    I have never rented a minivan. Do they leave off a lot of stuff that you would find on even some of the cheaper models?

I think the modem is going out for this computer. The lights keep going out on it and I have to wait a few minutes and plug it back in to get it to work again. I sure don't want to go back using a phone line and AOL again. I guess I'll pick one up tomorrow.
    To many people buying foreign

My friend in Australia would have no idea what an Alabama build Odyssey is like. He would buy a quite another Odyssey (entirely different car is sold outside US). Those Hondas and Toyota's around here are quite american down to all the bolts.

The real "foreign" Odyssey. Quite a nice and practical vehicle it seems. Still winning comparisons .

Toyota Avensis Verso GLX, Holden Zafira, Kia Carnival LS, Toyota Tarago GLi, Hyudai Trajet GL - WTF are those competitors. :confuse: And Chrysler Voyag'r SE LWB got the lowest mark - though mostly for value...

better view

Interesting site site to browse BTW. Quite a different picture out there...
    I have never rented a minivan. Do they leave off a lot of stuff that you would find on even some of the cheaper models?

Does not seem so. Just a simpler model.

I either rent a van (usually Dodge GC) for bike trips in Utah and such, a Jeep Wrangler on Hawaii or a convertible, which is frequently a Chrysler, elsewhere, inluding cold Boston, . That experience turned me off that brand completely.

Now I need to be gone indeed. :) Best luck..
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    "Buying the red Town and Country today. I'll sacrifice fun and driving engagement for peace of mind over transmission worries and..."

Now, when did anyone expect to hear THAT as an argument for getting a DC minivan product? My the times they are a changin'.

I have to agree with dae about the dual climate control.....yeah, DC had it early on but really....who cares. It's not like they invented it, it had been on plenty of other vehicles before. And I don't think that is a must-have feature for most people anyway. The majority of the time, there will be one adult driving and a bunch of kids in the back rendering it quite useless.
    As for side curtains, I think that IS an important feature that will sell minivans. I know when we were at the dealer, it was a major sticking point for at least 3 families there. Honda had it on all the vans, Toyota had it on some (though you couldn't find any optioned with them because they had all been sold already), and DC had it sparingly as well. At least in my area, it was a major selling point.
  • macakavamacakava Posts: 775
    Over almost the past 2 years, I have rented about 60 minivans, mostly DGCs, and T & C on my business travels throghout the USA. Some were brand new under 10 miles on the ODO and loaded with leather and goodies. I guess that Chrysler may have tossed in a few loaded ones among the huge purchases the car rentals make. On far less occasions, I got the new GM minivan as well as the Freestar.

Like I have always said before, these vehicles cannot compare with the "sporty" handling, fun to drive, and energetic way the Ody drives. Always glad to come back home to my Ody!
    Interesting.

But $45+K for a 2.5L 4 banger!
    Wow!

I don't know for sure what the currency exchange is.

But we can get the Ody LX (255hp VTEC V6) for about half that in USD!
    Must be the taxes(VAT) in down under!
    We should not complain here about prices - we are spoilt!
    Wow dae, that is about the nicest minivan I have ever seen. Glad they don't make it over here. Just beautiful. At least what I can see of it.
    "Now, when did anyone expect to hear THAT as an argument for getting a DC minivan product? My the times they are a changin'. "

Decisions should be driven by facts. In this case, with

T & C vs Ody

Low miles vs Very High Miles
    2001 vs 1999
    Previous earlier 1990 Tranny Problem Fixed(?) vs A Known Tranny beginning 1999(Fix done?)
    Low resale value(Easier to bargain) vs High resale value(Difficult to bargain)
    Driver does not care about fun to drive, sporty handling, refinement, etc

Based on the above facts, the T & C looks more attractive.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    1)"But, Chrysler, alomg with GM and Ford are in a money crises."

2)"They are going to put on their vans what they think will better sell them and it isn't side airbags."

1) I think the same thing could be said of Nissan, Mazda and most any other manufacturerer. It seems like the overall quality of parts/materials isn't up to the high standards from 10 years ago.They feel like they have to cut expenses(competition), so they use a cheaper plastic, or cheaper upholstery,parts or carpet. Things they think most people won't notice. Or, take out all the nice little extras as you mentioned.

2) I agree that side or knee airbags may have little effect in the sales of pickup trucks. But, think it would be important in the sale of minivans...or people movers.
    Don't know if knee airbags would cause any reaction other than curiosity. ;)
    But $45+K

Australian. US$34K

We indeed should not complain about prices here. Especially on gazoline.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Not enough difference in power and handling between an Ody EX and GC Sport or T&C LX to notice.
    My wife DID NOTICE that the Odyssey EX is MUCH NOISIER than either the GC Sport or the T&C LX. :sick: She also noticed that the glove box of the Ody intruded into her knee space and that the Ody did NOT have the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger. :cry:
    On the other hand, I noticed that the Ody seats are more comfortable for me than the seats of either the GC Sport or the T&C LX and there is more cargo space behind the 3rd row of the Ody EX than either the GC Sport or T&C LX.
    She also noticed that the glove box of the Ody intruded into her knee space

That's is odd. How tall is she? I am 6' and my wife 5'9.5" and it is seemed plenty of knee space on 2005 EX even in the most forward position.

Not enough difference in power and handling between an Ody EX and GC Sport or T&C LX to notice.

11s on the 180hp engine vs 8.5s 0-60 not enough difference? Yard smaller turning radius? 15% more lateral road holding? 10ft smaller stopping distance from 60? What is enough difference then?

While many other fine points about DC vs Honda vs rest people do argue about, driving dynamics is usually the one thing everybody agree in the Odyssey's favor.

Ody did NOT have the separately controlled temperature for driver and front passenger.

Mine 2005 EX most certainly does have this feature. Yet to use it.
  • lastwraithlastwraith Posts: 350
    "Previous earlier 1990 Tranny Problem Fixed(?)"
    If you are talking about the DC T&C for that quote then I think you missed my point. Mid to late 90s DC minivans were pretty much famous for horrendous transmission woes. I basically pray everyday that my '98 Expresso will not dump its tranny.

I was just pointing out the fact that it is funny to hear someone flip the argument and choose the DC offering over the Honda in the area of drivetrain reliability. Obviously DC has won back that customer's trust.