Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Agree that the 2006 Sienna Limited is the most luxurious minivan. ;) The Odyssey Touring is 2nd place and Town & Country Limited does not appear very luxurious by comparison although the T&C has the most attractive exterior styling. ;)
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    LOL. That does sound like fun, but no...sadly I am not in the market for another minivan.

Kia needs to cook that Sedona a little longer before it would be ready to suit my needs. But, I think Honda and the others are starting to hear its footsteps. ;)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Might come in handy for those in market. Latest from Oakland Tech News (local auto newspaper)in Detroit.

New 2006 DCX Caravan SE - $11,995/$19,900 MSRP

New 2006 DCX Caravan SXT (power seat, trip computer, 3.3L V6, 7"DVD - $16,373/$25,335 MSRP

New 2006 DCX Grand Caravan SXT Special Edition (heated leather, 8"DVD, moonroof) - $21,589/$31,365

New 2006 Chrysler T&C (V6, Air, Tilt, Cruise, Keyless) - $12,777/$21,735 MSRP

The dealer is Milsch (www.milschdodge.com) just 3 miles north of DCX's tech center in Auburn Hills.
    Please explain: Is the first number the invoice or selling price?
    The first price looks too low to be the actual selling price unless there is a HUGE Dealer Doc Fee. :confuse:
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    Something stinks to high heaven about those prices.

The 2006 DCX Caravan SE with ZERO options has a MSRP of $19095 and an invoice price of $18056 (including dest.). There are currently $3500 in incentives/rebates (according to Edmunds) which brings the invoice down to $14556. And it is advertised at $11995??? The others are equally ridiculous; all at thousands UNDER invoice even after taking into account the rebates.

Something doesn't pass the smell test here.....
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    If the Odyssey Touring didn't have those stinkin' PAX tires I'd consider it.

Until then, I think I like the Sienna :)
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    The lowest price is supposedly the SELLING price per Milosch Dodge. www.miloschdodge.com
  • Looks like the 2006 Sedona will be a big winner,MOMS WOULDN'T KNOW THE DIFFERENCE IF THE SEDONA HAD A LAWNMORE ENGINE OR A 600HP V10 LOL.
    Nice review but I wonder how many errors are contained in the review?
    Odd engine power was INCORRECT. The 2006 Odd has 244 HP and 240 Lb-Ft torque. Is the Sedona engine power also the rating under the older, inflated method? :confuse:
  • Hi. I am soliciting some feedback about 8 passenger minivans. Right now I am looking at the Odyssey and Sienna. The option I am looking for is an All Wheel Drive 8 passenger minivan which I can't seem to find (Sienna has an AWD but it only comes in 7 passenger version). Anyone has any ideas or suggestions; be kind and share your research/experience? Thanks. :confuse:
    AWD 8 Passenger minivan? none. Sorry.

FWD should be fine in most conditions though. It depends on how bad your roads are. If they're really bad, just get the AWD.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    It's called a Tahoe or Suburban. I needed 8 passenger seating as well and really could have used the AWD. I decided to give up the AWD/4x4 and go with an Ody FWD. I do have other vehicles though when the weather gets really bad, so I'm not compromising much.

So far we've been alright but we plan accordingly. We have a couple very nasty roads that don't get cleared often. Plus our driveway is nearly a mile long and the first part is extremely steep. If you're not careful, you can hang a 4x4 on it. If I lived in town where the roads were generally cleared, I'd have no problems with a FWD Ody. In fact, I'd say a good set of snow tires with the stability and traction control would make this van go quite well. You'll run out of ground clearance on either Sienna or Ody before the deep stuff will stop you on normal roads.

So if you don't want to give up a little gas mileage (not much really, we had a Tahoe before the Ody) go for the van. Once the grandkids are out of carseats, we'll probably go back to a full-size SUV. Those sliding doors are great for getting kids in/out.
    True.
    I wouldn't call the Tahoe a van though even though people use it like one.
  • Thanks to all who have responded. I just want the peace of mind with the AWD otherwise I am sure the FWD can handle Pittsburgh weather (some exceptions). One other option is the 8 seat Pilot although I have to go and take a look / test drive it to get a feel for the space it has. I really don't want to go with the full size SUV's (Expedition, Tahoe, Armada) as the wife doesn't want to drive something that big.
    It is really a tough choice. With small kids its really difficult to replace the convenience of automatic sliding doors.
    Please continue the discussion if any useful points can be made. :(
    Thanks.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    Well the funny thing is....the Tahoe is smaller than the Ody. The Ody has a little tighter turning radius, but is overall a bit longer and within an inch or so on width. My wife actually preferred driving the Tahoe. I prefer the better handling of the Ody, but I like sporty vehicles. She's a bit more passive when it comes to driving.

Unless you're living/driving in rural pitt, either the Ody or Sienna with a set of snow tires would do terrific. Snow tires make a tremendous difference. I have Nokians on my Jetta and on ice I think I prefer it over my 4x4's.
    Do you want just seating for 8 with seat/shoulder belts for all 8?
    If so, either the Sienna or Odyssey.

But if you want a legitimate seat for each of the 8 people, the Sienna is the choice because the middle seat of the Odyssey is just a padded armrest between the 2nd row bucket seats.

An advantage of the Odyssey is that for only 7 people, the Odyssey 2nd row seats are more comfortable with the padded armrest that serves as a seat taken out than are any of the 2 seats of the 3 seat middle row of the Sienna since the Odyssey will have fold down armrests for both middle row passengers. None of the 3 genuine seats of the 2nd row of the Sienna has an armrest.

With the Sienna, you purchase the van with either 7 seats or 8 seats...but every seat is a legitimate seat and one is not a padded armrest. Each configuration has advantages.
    isn't a bad idea, but that third row isn't terribly big.
    The Pilot feels cramped inside when compared to the Odyssey (or Sienna, Grand Caravan, Town & Country).

In addition to deficient 3rd row seating, the cargo space behind the 3rd row seating is TOO small. A minivan is the best configuration for interior space with reasonable fuel economy.

However, if a person MUST have AWD and seating for 8...while not needing cargo space, the Pilot would be the best choice. ;) My niece recently traded her Honda Passport (built by Isuzu) for a loaded Pilot. The Passport replaced a Mazda MPV that was an SUV...and it also had very tiny cargo space behind 3rd row seat while the Passport had seating for only 5. She and her husband have only 3 children ages 6, 10, and 12.
  • The Toyota Sienna also has AWD on their LE, XLE or Limited Edition lineup, so it will be much better than the Honda Pilot plus it has 20 percent better gas mileage. For eight persons vehicles, Sienna is still the best choice since its refinement and reliability records are better than the others.