Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• Again, how is this any different from ESC?

The stability control systems can detect impending skids MUCH MUCH earlier than normal drivers. By the time most drivers detect a skid, they're not far away from being out of control. Often times, drivers tend to overcorrect for skids sending the vehicle oscillating back and forth. With stability control systems, the driver frequently doesn't even know that the system even kicked in until they see a light on the dash. "

I think that most skid situations are caused by drivers going to fast for the conditions, or moving too suddenly.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    The Quest had fairly poorly over the past couple of years in Consumer Reports frequency of repair.
  • I think the most simple way I can put it is this:

By driving correctly, according to weather, road conditions, trffic, etc., you will need to use the ESC much less than ABS.

I'm NOT saying that it isn't worth it or that I wouldn't get it if available. I probably would - just in case. What I am saying is that I KNOW I can avoid it's use most of the time by the way I drive. I had a Saab that had every safety feature you could get and the ESC light came on maybe twice in the 2 1/2 years that I had it.
  • The Quest had fairly poorly over the past couple of years in Consumer Reports frequency of repair."

They had horrible first year problems but they are getting better. I wouldn't be looking for a few years, so this is assuming that they continue to approve...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I had a Saab that had every safety feature you could get and the ESC light came on maybe twice in the 2 1/2 years that I had it.

I wonder what would have happened without it. It's that "one time" that could make all the difference.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    Thanks for the link. The 2007 Quest looks VERY attractive with the changes.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    My 2001 BMW 325ci has ESC/DSC.....used it once on icy exit ramp, stopped the slide and my ABS helped to. Other than that one time, it's come on half a dozen more when not needed (it was activated) i.e...pulling out of a parking lot and hitting a bump and other no threatening events. It's nice to have but it wasn't a major deciding factor with DCX minivan I also have.
    Fair enough. It likely will intervene when not completely needed, as is true of all VSC systems. Heck, my Accord doesn't have it, and I'm not dead yet!
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    I'd be hard-pressed to buy a vehicle without stability control at this point. Particularly one that sits high and is very heavy like a minivan/truck/suv.

There are so many instances where you may use it even if you're a safe driver. We have a sharp kiss-your-butt turn on the way to town and a Navigator driving moron was coming around too fast on my side of the road awhile back. I had to leave the road to miss him. I'm not sure if VSC kicked in or not since I was paying attention to get around the turn with two wheels in the cinders. If that happened to someone else they may have jerked hard back onto the road and VSC would certainly make an even bigger difference as to whether you make it back on the road or not. I wouldn't let my wife drive a vehicle without it, at least now that it's available and I know how well it works.

I spent many years behind the wheel of race cars so I'm quite confident in my driving, but I have no problem letting a system like this intervene when I KNOW there's no way I can do what the system does in a split-second. And there's no way you can say you'll never need this system just because you're driver of the year. Stuff happens, even to the guys that know what they're doing.
  • I wonder what would have happened without it.<<

In my case, nothing
    Good for you. In my case, I ended up in a guard rail because a fishtail was started that I couldn't overcome. (i was forced off the road at 45 mph on a bridge).
    Parking at Ford

This is really silly but that's Detroit for ya!! Some bonehead thinks this will help sales maybe??? Who knows!
    It would just tick me off. If Ford didn't build a vehicle to suit me and my needs adequately, I don't think I'd own one even if I DID work for them.

My parents are both mainframe computer programmers at a MAJOR life insurance company, but neither of them bought policies through their company.
    I agree with Ford. It is called "LOYALTY".
    Prime parking is a REWARD for supporting your employer.
    The Ford Motor Company has a very wide selection of vehicles in all categories. I may not like the Windstar/Freestar/Freestyle as well as a GC, T&C, Sienna, or Ody...but if Ford paid my wages and benefits, it does not seem unreasonable for me to buy a Ford.
    IF a person does not believe in the company product, the person should find another employer (within reason...depending on the length of employement and other factors).
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    agree. If someone is paying me 60k for a job that does not require a college education...I'm buying whatever they are selling.
  • kfdmedkfdmed Posts: 130
    The speedometer in the middle I will never understand. Looks really good inside and out.
    I guess that's a good way to look at it. The good times are over in Detroit for union workers and management. They may have to pay for part of their healthcare!! OMG!!! Maybe this will force some people to actually think before running to the doctors with sniffles and taking the entire day off work for it - if they actually are burdened with the true cost of something!

I know a Hilo driver at one of the Ford plants.....it's his sole job - moving crap around. It usually takes a few hours in the morning then he sits all day watching TV in break room, cards or reading paper. In the summer he'll skip out at lunch to go boating.....no one cares.

It's a free market "adjustment" for these guys! People in other countries are eager to work for less and do a better job (Hell, even people in this country!)

Ohhh and don't get me started on what it cost to put on a show at the COBO center here in Detroit, where there are very specific jobs for Union members and no one dare does anything else. For example one member handles lighting issues for displays, one carpet, one garbage, one phone etc....
  • A reporter is looking to learn about the vehicles of choice for people with large families. If you have 6 or more in the house and often travel as a group, what is your preferred mode of transportation? Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before Wednesday, February 22, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about this topic.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

About time. Glad you included and management .
    Toyota and Honda management pay in relation to worker pay is MUCH smaller than Ford, GM, and DC. It is remarkable that DaimlerChrysler can produce the GC and T&C of equal value to the Sienna and Odyssey when DC management and union workers are paid so much more than their counterparts at Toyota and Honda.
  • artgpoartgpo Posts: 483
    The federal government has many employees being paid $60,000+, heck, $100,000+ with no college education. Should we buy all they sell?