Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Power windows in sliding doors have VERY little value. My 2006 Sienna has them but you could cool down a hot vehicle much more quickly using a power liftgate and power sliding doors on both sides.

I have to agree with Hans. I love my DCX with power doors and hatch. You open those up in a hot parking lot and the hot air is gone instantly!! I can't imagine power side windows as being too useful, although I don't have them myself. I think of the wind noise traveling down the highway (maybe around town putzing is cool) with side windows open, also increasing drag and lowering gas mileage. I like how the rear windows vent open for air flow.....less noise, similar effect.

Do the windows go all the way down?? I have a friend who's dog was killed when it jumped out of his car window in a slow construction zone. I rarely have my windows down.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I like the roll-down windows. We live in the boonies and the grandkids love having the wind in their faces while rolling along the back roads. You can also drop the windows to see better (dark tinted is difficult to see out of at dark/dusk). I've regularly stopped and dropped the windows so the kids can get a good look at wildlife along the road. It's something small, but it was on my list when shopping.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I agree with you; the roll-down windows are a nice feature, especially since they can be lowered with the keyless-entry remote. It is often that I'll put the windows down before I leave work (I can do it from my boss' window on the third floor, which overlooks the lot). I lower the windows some, not all the way, and the re-engage the alarm system. This way, I don't have my car completely vulnerable by having it unlocked/open, but I'm letting the car ventilate for, often, 15 minutes or more.

The same thing can be done in the Odyssey, and that way you don't have your valubles exposed as you would with open doors/hatch (which would allow easy entry for a thief) and can roll your windows down a few minutes before you plan on driving the vehicle buying some much-needed ventilation/cooling (I live in Birmingham; many 100+ degree days this summer, and today is ONLY 91).

These cars are smart!
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    NOT a very large price increase.

LX increase from $ 25,895 to $ 26,240
    EX increase from $ 28,945 to $ 29,240
    EX-L increase from $ 31,345 to $ 31,690
    EX-L RES increase $ 32495 to $ 33,290
    EX-L R+N increase $35,145 to $ 35,490
    Touring RES increase $ 37,145 to $ 37,490
    Touring R+N increase $ 39,345 to $ 39,690

I sat in a Touring RES today and it is BY FAR the most luxurious minivan I have seen. Very nice leather, very comfortable seats, excellent leg room all seating positions, best folding mechanism for 3rd row seats, and the list goes on and on. The Sienna Limited is more luxurious than the T&C Limited. Chrysler has fallen far from the days when the T&C was considered a premier luxury minivan. :shades:
    I lower the windows some, not all the way, and the re-engage the alarm system. This way, I don't have my car completely vulnerable by having it unlocked/open, but I'm letting the car ventilate for, often, 15 minutes or more.

To clarify things, I only open my doors and hatch via keyfob when I'm approaching the vehicle. I'm not endorsing leaving them open and not being present. The open door/hatch works instantly, eliminating all the hot air vs. cracking the windows for a few minutes.

A friend at work, who owns an Oddy says you can't open your windows with a keyfob as you're stating, only with the Accord and possibly new Civic? I know German cars allow this though, as my 2001 BMW lets me open and close all windows and sunroof. I'd check at dealer before buying one, thinking it's possible.

Apparently the Oddy isn't as smart as the Accord :P
    A friend at work, who owns an Oddy says you can't open your windows with a keyfob as you're stating, only with the Accord and possibly new Civic? I know German cars allow this though, as my 2001 BMW lets me open and close all windows and sunroof. I'd check at dealer before buying one, thinking it's possible.

Apparently the Oddy isn't as smart as the Accord

I didn't figure you were endorsing leaving your doors open :D ...And you can roll down the windows all the way if you like, also removing hot air quickly, you can roll down the windows slightly, some, or all the way; it's your choice. If one prefers, they can open the sliding doors also when on their way to the vehicle.

Tell your friend to check again; my great aunt's windows roll down when you do the following:

Press unlock
    Immediately press unlock again and this time hold it down.
    The windows should drop until you release the unlock button. My aunt's 2005 EX Cloth Odyssey does this, as I've used the feature several times. You can show your coworker the feature and make their day, and be really helpful, because if their van is 2005 or newer and an EX or better, it is equipped to do so (possibly LX, I'm not sure). rorr i believe could back me up on this, but I know my aunt's 2005 EX cloth Odyssey does it.

I do not know if the Civic or CR-V's windows operate as the Odyssey's and Accord's do.
    My Sienna sliding door windows lower only 2/3 the way unlike the front door windows that lower all the way. I prefer the quiet, lack of wind noise of the Chrysler minivans to having sliding door windows that roll down but are a source of wind noise.
  • bogz11bogz11 Posts: 10
    Thanks for your input! I haven't considered the Dodge or Town and Country but maybe I will now! There are good end of the year clearances in my area. I seen in the paper 2006 dodge caravan w/dvd player 15900. :)
    You better hurry; at this point, I doubt the dealers have many 2006 models left on the lots!

As far as handling, the Dodge will be much more like the Sienna (softer riding but more-numb steering and more "floaty"; a combo many people prefer to the relatively "sporty" or firm Honda). The engines aren't as smooth or powerful as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan however.

Another option, have you considered Nissan Quest? For 2007 they have redesigned the interior, and freshened the exterior.
    it's your choice. If one prefers, they can open the sliding doors also when on their way to the vehicle. Nothing works better than all three doors!!

My friend tried his tonite...06 Touring...no dice????
    I think thegraduate said they can open the WINDOWS in the sliding doors of the Ody with the fob and not the sliding doors themselves.
    The Odyssey has a much nicer appearing interior than the Chrysler T&C in comparable price ranges and to me (a former T&C owner) the top of the line T&C Limited looks cheap inside compared to an Odyssey Touring. :shades:

WHY did DaimlerChrysler let the flagship T&C Limited be outclassed completely by the upstart Honda company?
    Honestly? I'd seriously consult the dealer. My aunt has an 05 EX cloth that allows us to roll down the windows in the exact same manner as Accord.

Push unlock button, wait 1/2 second then push unlock and hold (must conitnue holding and wait a sec or two before the windows start lowering, to prevent accidental roll-downs).

You can roll down windows AND open the power doors from the remote, in whatever order you choose.
    WHY did DaimlerChrysler let the flagship T&C Limited be outclassed completely by the upstart Honda company?

It's not really "outclassed" as evidenced by its sales, but I do think Chrysler let its sales momentum do more work than it should have, while R&D lagged behind. It HAS kept prices low, which is nice!
  • New Chrysler and Dodge vans are on their way for 2008. By this time next year we'll all be reading the first reports from new owners.
    Sounds like they'll cutting edge in many areas...6 spd auto w/overdrive, independent rear, new V6 and roll down windows, heated and cooled cup holders, more flexible stow n go seating (T&C with powering stow n go even).
  • garandmangarandman Posts: 524
    A friend at work, who owns an Oddy says you can't open your windows with a keyfob as you're stating, only with the Accord and possibly new Civic?

The Nissan Quest also lowers the front windows when you hold down the unlock button. And both front windows are auto up/auto down. The slider windows don't go down, but open a good 3-4" longer than the Odyssey or Sienna.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    My EX-L will open the windows with the remote. Works as Grad stated....however there may be a catch...

If your remote is programmed so that pressing once to unlock driver door/twice to unlock all doors, you'll have to press unlock three times to lower the windows. The third press requires you hold the unlock button and the windows will drop until you release.

I lower the windows if it's just me/wife and we don't need into the 2nd row for anything. You can't drive with the doors open (well you could but that'd be dumb....). So the door method requires you to lower the windows after getting in the car anyway. Unless you like to immediately seal yourself back up in a still relatively hot car. Just my take...
    My EX-L will open the windows with the remote. Works as Grad stated....

Good, so I'm NOT losing my mind! I was beginning to wonder yesterday...
    When will production begin on the 2008 T&C, Caravan, and GC?
    Will the 2007 models be produced for only a few months so the 2008 can arrive in January 2007?
  • aus_nicaus_nic Posts: 6
    thank you everyone for info on vans. I decided to go with the T&C because I think it will serve all my needs and got a killer deal- about $7300 off msrp for limited model almost fully loaded :). Picked it up last night so will let you all know more after driven for a bit but so far I love it and I can wait to get all the added features set up like nav/dvd/mem. seats etc.
    I opted to not get bluetooth unit (uconnect) as have a headset already and went without tow package as when the time comes next year to get boat we are going to get husbands grandpas old suburban for a few grand and it will be perfect beater car for fishing/dog at beach etc as I want my van to stay clean :) .
    The rear passanger windows aren't big deal for me although I can see how they would be good for kids some times. I currently only have baby in middle row though and 2 in back and when we rented the sienna i found they didnt like having windows down much anyway. Besides having them down created quite a bit of noise/humm from wind and I imagine would reduce gas milage a bit out on open roads?
    For me the features that I got on th T&C limited matched with price on end of year model couldn't be beat. They also had extra rebate of $750 due to car being on lot since May but it was mostley eaten by protection package for all interior/exterior (which with kids will be nice) and added shock sensor alarm added by dealer-which has nice guaranty with it for 3 yrs new car replacement if stolen.
    When it was all said and done we paid just on $34k OTD for car and even got a years worth of free oil changes every 3k miles with loaner car while in shop for free without even asking for it. Paint-dark pearl red wasnt first choice but isnt bad and the ability to take it off lot right away was more important. Although salesman was willing to go pick up any other one I wanted at no charge-even to the other side of LA which from san diego is close to 200 miles! It just would have taken a couple of days but wasnt worth waiting just for the paint.
    Was very impressed with sales rep and found going through internet rep was much less hassle with no pressure and great deal :)
    As I said will update further. Need to call and activ. sirius radio :)
    Good luck to all who are still shopping and any questions on this one let me know.
    sorry post ended up being so long but hope it was helpful. by the way I meant "I can't wait to set up stuff" haha :)
    As i am just seeing the new 08 models sound nice :cry: but since I can't wait 1-2 yrs for van and the price was big factor for me I am happy so far with what I have. Hope it stays that way ;) . Most reason whay I didn't go for Ody. or Sienna was price and deals. Toyota were over priced and not very helpful or willing to budge and Ody. again was quiet a bit more while they were going to match invoice price they couldn't beat Chrys. empl. price and add. cask back :)
  • Congrats on the T&C! You'll love it.

I have a '05 Grand Caravan and my lease is up in Nov. I will be leasing another one, an '06 or '07. Then I can get the next-gen van for MY '09. At least that's my master plan. :)
    Most people who buy one DC minivan will NOT like any other brand.
    DC minivans just "Feel Right". They are the quietest on the highway, have outstanding radio/stereo systems, have the best HVAC, and are the most user friendly.

The Sienna and Odyssey have more attractive interiors and are also nice but Toyota options are too expensive and confusing and the Odyssey costs too much to get the same nice features of a DC minivan. Honda and Toyota stress having all the safety features while DC places emphasis on producing a safe vehicle at a price most people can afford.
  • My wife and I are the same way when it comes to Honda....In my experince and opinion the Odyssey is the way to go...I looked at the Chryler...Old design, Underpowered and did not have as nice of an interior as the honda imo...Sienna was nice but couldnt find one just like I wanted....So I ended up where I started, with another Honda.....I have an 06 Ody EX-L and couldnt be happier with it myself.. :shades:
  • ruschrusch Posts: 16
    Most people who buy one DC minivan will NOT like any other brand
    In my case I have to strongly disagree! I owned a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan and I could not wait to get rid of it! I just bought a 2006 Odyssey EXL RES and I LOVE it! I could never say that about my caravan. It was never in the running this time and probably never again!
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Congratulations on buying a VERY nice minivan with a MSRP of $32,945. With Navigation, the MSRP would be $ 35,145.
    No 2000 Grand Caravan would be priced as high (and none would be as nice). It is difficult to find a 2006 Grand Caravan that will have an MSRP that high....and a person would be a fool to pay as much for ANY DC minivan as the actual selling price of the Ody EX-L + RES.
    NO Town & Country is a nice as the Odyssey EX-L or Touring which are more luxurious than the more expensive Sienna Limited.
    According to the 2007 Odyssey brochure, the EPA rating for LX and EX has dropped to only 18/25 (same as 2006 T&C with 3.8L V6) and the EX-L and Touring have dropped to 19/27 (still the HIGHEST for any minivan and higher than the 19/26 for the Sienna and DC 3.3L V6).
    How much will the EPA ratings drop for the other 2007 minivans?
    Did they say why the ratings dropped? Are there new methods for testing MPG per EPA??? I haven't heard this.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    As far as I know, there have been no new methods developed by EPA for testing mileage. Government bodies have been talking about changing them for some time, but nothing has changed yet.

Could be Honda did some tweaking to their engine/drive train that caused ratings to go down. Either that or they arbitrarily changed them to reflect closer to real world experience.

My new 2006 3.3L GC SE is nearly as good as the rest of the pack at EPA 19 city, 26 highway. For about $19.6K (not including sales tax, and title transfer), including three zone AC and Stow and Go as the major options, seems to be I made a very good choice, for someone who doesn't want to tie up a lot of money in a depreciating object. Of course I am giving up some 0-60 performance, but honestly, who actually floors their minivan to get maximum available power very often?