Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minivans - Domestic or Foreign

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    But I have an electric oven, I feel slighted here!!! Next time for fair and balance, please use Electric and Convection ovens - ok?

:) ROFL. :D

Wow, post number 2,000! I feel special.

Ok, I'm over it.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    No problem.

Ummmmmm, lessee.....

If you turn an electric oven on and check it a few minutes later, a good test to see if it's working are the orange glowy things are....glowing. But even though those orange glowy things look pretty, don't grab one, it will be hot. But it you turn on a gas oven and check it later, you won't see those little glowy things. But that doesn't mean the gas oven isn't working.

I can't help you with convection ovens. But I'm fairly sure that regardless of the type, it will hurt if you shut the door on your head.

Now I'm sure that claireS will be along any minute to try herding us cats back onto the minivan path again.
  • dennisctcdennisctc Posts: 1,168
    Now I'm sure that claireS will be along any minute to try herding us cats back onto the minivan path again.

OMG!! I thought this was Edmund's appliance shopping area? It's not?

OMG!! I thought this was Edmund's appliance shopping area? It's not?

Back to the Kenmore forums for you, dennis.
    "I thought this was Edmund's appliance shopping area? It's not?"

What class of automobiles could best be described as the 'appliance' of passenger vehicles?

Answer: Minivans :)

Since this is the "minivan shopping" thread, I don't think that discussion of 'appliances' is COMPLETELY out of bounds. ;)

Maybe 90% out of bounds, but not completely. Besides, a little humor never hurt. If you really want to go back to the usual hurling vindictives at one another's choice in minivans, I suppose we could. But isn't there already enough of that over in the Ody vs. Caravan thread? :sick:
    If you really want to go back to the usual hurling vindictives at one another's choice in minivans, I suppose we could. But isn't there already enough of that over in the Ody vs. Caravan thread?

AMEN to that.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Posts: 249
    My oven door catches too when I jerk it!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    The Freestar, albeit a lame-duck minivan, represents an excellent used minivan buy, in my opinion despite the poor fuel economy (for a minivan).

Your thoughts on this?
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 974

Nah. My eyes glaze over whenever I see the words word "stove" or "oven", so everything looks just fine here.

Need help navigating? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aaron_taaron_t Posts: 301
    "Since this is the "minivan shopping" thread, I don't think that discussion of appliances' is COMPLETELY out of bounds. ;)"

Minivans can carry many appliances in the back. Fridge, washer/dryer or stove/oven, though not all at once. Stow N go make it easy for those impulse appliance buys. ;)
  • nwngnwng Posts: 664
    i wish i can afford an impulse appliance purchase
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    The Freestar, albeit a lame-duck minivan, represents an excellent used minivan buy, in my opinion despite the poor fuel economy (for a minivan).

Your thoughts on this?

I've always considered the Caravan the choice for bargain used buying. It's a nicer vehicle with a low price on the used market. How much cheaper is a freestar on the corner lot? I've not shopped so I can't say, but the prices I've seen on 2 year old program Caravans screams deal. And it's a far better vehicle IMHO. The Freestar reminded me of driving a Taurus, which I'll do anything to avoid at the rental counter.
    I'll agree with you completely.

Comparing the Caravan to the Freestar head to head as new vehicles, the Caravan is far better (IMO) on several fronts. These advantages exist whether the vehicles in question are new or used. The Freestar would ONLY make more sense to purchase used if, for some reason, a Freestar were considerably cheaper than a comparable Caravan with similar mileage.
    I guess my opinion has been swayed by the ads in my area that scream "USED FREESTARS for $14,995!"

Come to think of it, a dealer here advertised some ex-rental Grand Caravans at $13,990 so I guess the Grand Caravan is cheaper...
  • philliplcphilliplc Posts: 136
    in my area *80k power-train certified* 05 ex-fleet t&c lx's with s&g are typically advertised for $14995. hard to beat that for value in that price range.

i still have my original 05 windstar (140k with original tranny lol, gotta be rare) just as a backup beater. can't believe ford hasn't updated the look in 11 years.
    The Freestar is so lame duck, it's forum has not had a post since 1/30/06. Soon it will become a "read only" topic.
  • Thanks to you all that replied.

The 3 belts has become less important in recent days.

The dodge/chrysler seem to provide the most flexibility. We are going to spend more time at a toyota dealer tomorrow.

Thanks again.
    I wonder how often it takes the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to sell a single Monterey...
    I don't even think I ever saw one on the road. I did see my first Dodge Caliber yesterday.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,231
    I wonder how often it takes the local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to sell a single Monterey..

According to Automotive News inventories as of March 1, 2006:

Model/Days Supply

Caravan/57
    T&C/62
    Freestar/55
    Monterey/120
    Uplander/73
    Relay/158
    Odyssey/52
    Quest/138
    MPV/85

I would say Ford tightened their production belts pretty hard. I'd also say the minivan market has dried a bit for the Dodge/Honda since their inventories are both up a bit. Here are the numbers from July 1, 2005:

Caravan/47
    T&C/42
    Freestar/77
    Monterey/316
    Uplander/51
    Relay/98
    Odyssey/26
    Quest/75
    MPV/129

Toyota does not report inventory by model. Overall here is the inventory by manufacturer for March, 1 2006:

DaimlerChrysler/65
    Ford/80
    GM/90
    Honda/50
    Nissan/68
    Mazda/72
    Toyota/41