It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Making my Camry go 1,000,000 miles
I feel to have a chance of making this happen, multiple things would have to align:
1. The correct automobile would have to be chosen (I think inherently some autos don't have a chance of reaching high mileage).
2. The "right" driving style would have to be used.
3. An exceptionally well thought out preventative maintenance program would have to be instituted.
4. An equally extensive detailing program would need to be developed to keep the body free of rust, etc.
5. A little luck couldn't hurt.
Well... my answer to the aforementioned points:
1. A 2001 Toyota Camry LE 4cy. I bought my new Camry with 12 miles on the clock last July. I chose a Camry based on its regarded history of reliability. I chose the 4cy as it historically has proven to be more reliable than the 6cy (only slightly though).
2. In terms of driving style... I researched breaking in engines, driving styles, etc. for months. I now have 10,000 miles on the clock and have generally driven the car "easy" staying under 4,000 rpm almost continually with few exceptions. I live in an urban area in Portland, OR so I do put a fair amount of city miles on the car. I'm shooting for no more than 40% city driving over a given 10,000 mile span.
3. I developed a preventative maintenance program that is defined both by an organic approach and a cyclic approach. I haven't overlooked anything including cleaning the tape head and CD lens monthly. I have filled my gas tank full everytime it's needed gas, always purchased the same brand of gas, and have recorded mileages in an excel database of every tank since the car's inception into this world.
4. I developed an equally in depth detailing program through over 4 years of research on the subject.
5. As far as luck... So far so good.
I would love to hear tips from other "enthusiasts" like myself on how they maintain their vehicles. I would love to share my experiences in great detail if anyone is interested. I will post periodically on the latest status of my endeavor.
Please help me with your tips. I do want to hand the Camry over to Toyota Marketing Executives at 1,000,000 miles for a free Lexus afterall.