Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Solstice

Comments

• Besides it works fine as a Pontiac. They are supposed to be the sporty side of GM North America are they not? People in towns too small to have a Pontiac dealership are not going to be the ones buying this car anyway. The few exceptions will have no problem driving to the nearest metropolitan area get one.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    My hometown is so small it has one stoplight and a sheriff named Jimbo, and it still has a Pontiac dealership. That was where my Grandma bought her Bonneville (great little car). OK, to be fair, it's a Buick-Caddilac-Chevy-GMC-Oldsmobile-Pontiac dealership, but still, any Pontiac they don't have on the lot they will be more than happy to order for you. Pontiac dealerships aren't exactly like Benz or Jag dealerships, where you've got to go somewhere like Dallas or Houston to find one. They're more like Ford dealerships-anywhere big enough to have a Wal-Mart probably has one.
  • Just checked out the web site for the New England International Auto Show (Nov 1-9th), and the Solstice is on the list of concept cars that will be there. Looking forward to this.
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    Pontiac Solstice has been approved and will likely hit the stores some time in early '05 as an '06 model. It will be a 4 cyl. rwd priced around 20 to 23k.

No other details at present. I hope GM makes it as close to the concept as possible.
  • This car really looks exciting. The report by Thecarconnection said that it will be on display in preproduction format at the Detroit Auto Show in January. I hope it is close to the concept, too.
  • There's also a spy shot in the new Car and Driver
  • I started a savings account today. I will buy one as soon as they hit the dealerships.
  • The solstice looks so great. If only I didn't live in Massachusetts!!! Another thing to hate about this god forsaken state. I can never get a convertible and use it more than say 2 months a year (once you exclude raindays). :(

And the coupe just doesn't do it for me (they probably won't make it anyway).

Has anyone else noticed that/feel the same way? Cars designed to be convertibles look great as convertibles and kinda crappy as coupes, but cars designed as hardtops look kinda crappy (not quite right) when they cut off the top?
  • I've got my savings account started, too. I'm waiting for the Solstice and 05 Mustang. I'll be buying one of them in the summer of 2005 (Right after I graduate from college) I'm not sure which I want yet. I can't wait to take those test drives.

breetai, I agree about the coupe/convertibles. The new 350z is a great example. The coupe is hot, but there's not something quite right about the convertible.
    GM today announced the Colbalt will have a 2.4 litre version of the ecotec with multi-valve technology pushing out 170 hps. This for a car expected to base around 14k.

Add a Supercharger and a few other upgrades to the 2.4 and you could have around 240 hps at that 20 - 22k range GM hopes to have with the Solstice.

NAIAS draws closer. Hope there will be a big announcement.
  • Yeah lets hope the 2.4 is an option on the solstice. Logic, I REALLY want to get you out of that Miata. :)
    I want out as well. The Solstice is just the vehicle.
  • theo2709theo2709 Posts: 476
    OK it will initially be powered by the Cobalt SS's 2.4L DOHC VVT inline 4 with 170 HP, and it will have a 5-speed manual transmission. More power will come with the GXP version.
    Hm I could swear this thread was read-only when I made the other one. Oh well.
    passenger side of the console.

I am always knocking my arm against the parking brake in my Miata.

Too bad the rear view mirror could not have stayed on the windshield wrap aound, but I expected that.

Really, very nice looking!
    One problem for people in Illinois and other front back plate states. How to put a plate in front without messing up that beautiful face?
    I was thinking about that too, logic. I have no idea where you would put a front plate.
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    At least Florida doesn't have to do that... uhh
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    very nice.

i see the beancounters haven't given it the new ugly steering wheel from the bu/G6.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,924
    aside - theo, it was read only, and I unearthed it. I just didn't explain fully :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

http://www.damienheiser.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=12&amp- ;pos=2

Love the shots of the frame. This is going to be a great car.
    yeah. it looks like all the ingredients are there.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Posts: 417
    So any final word on pricing? I can't believe this car is actually going to come in under 20k as Lutz is saying! After the 80's and 90's I never thought there would be a Pontiac that I would actually desire.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    They were saying the U$20K range but I have trouble believing it. Seems to me they could make more considering they will only produce about 20K / year.
  • bretaabretaa Posts: 130
    You never know until you touch the plastic and turn the knobs, but.........

Pontiac, thank you so much for that interior. It's given me hope for the whole domestic auto industry...

Bret
    The car is almost completely stripped at below $20k. Manual window cranks and things of that nature are all you get.
    Sweet! I am all about that.
    I don't care. On a two seater you can crank your own window and lean across to get the other.

Powertrain and looks and handling are priority one and for a change Pontiac seems to have nabbed all three from the get go.

Of course we won't see the car hit market for like 2 years yet.
    Is that what Pontiac is saying?