Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Aerio Wagon

Comments

• I am currently looking at buying the Aerio SX. The only other car that comes close in content for the same price is the Kia Spectra5. Apparently, the Kia's are selling so well that the dealer in my area uses the old style pressure tactics without fear of losing customers. At the Kia dealership, I went through the whole "we need your license if you are going to test drive" (sneaky way to run a credit check on me - I actually had to barge into the "business managers" office and demand my license back) and "what will it take to get you to buy one today?". Meanwhile, they were quoting MSRP numbers higher than the Kia Canada website. Needless to say, I am heading back to the Suzuki dealer who treated me with respect and was upfront about all aspects of the vehicle and the financing.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    The Verona is the largest car Suzuki sells.

Was very impressed with the SX's upgrades for '05. Hugely improved interior. Was on my short list before purchasing a Malibu Maxx. Daewoos are behind current generation of Hyundai's IMHO and will be badly outgunned when next gen. Hyundai/Kias debut.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    How a dealer could run a credit check with just your license?

Go with the Aerio, very cool car.
  • I thought Suzuki actually manufactured the Verona. Who makes it? Daewoo?

I agree with you on the Daewoos. They seem to be where Hyundai was about ten years ago.
  • A credit check can be completed with as little as your name and address to go by. (at least here in Canada). With car companies having their own credit arms, they can easily circumvent 'rules' to look us up on Equifax.

I have a friend who is a loans manager in a bank and he can look up my credit anytime with out anything more specific than my drivers license info. No signature required.
    I disagree with the Daewoos - I think they are Hyundai 5 years ago, and already past Kia.
    Why compare the Aerio with the Rio? The Aerio is a better car than anything in the Kia lineup, nevermind the worst new car sold in the US - the Rio. Suzuki doesn't really produce a competitor for the Rio.

The new Spectra is a big improvement over the old, but the terrible crash test scores of the Spectra (a Kia weak point) make it a non-option.
    Didn't mean Aerio, meant Aveo. Sorry... I was trying to run through the Daewoos.

Agree that the Aerio SX is the best thing in Suzuki's stable.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    You have seen the new crash test for the Spectra right? Kia ordered a retest after tweaking the driver's airbag and its score improved from poor to acceptable. It's still not the best, but it definitely isn't as terrible as you claim. After my bad Aerio experience and reading some pretty serious mechanical failures that weren't limited to just one car, I'd be willing to gamble on a Spectra way before an Aerio. Suzuki just isn't as well known for quality as other Japanese nameplates and the Koreans have been improving amazingly fast in this regard.
  • stolguystolguy Posts: 12
    The first item I have had to address on my 03 aerio was to
    change out the cheap steel clamps retaining the exhaust heat
    shields with stainless. The originals rust and start clattering
    within two years. Every fall I pull the wheels and paint the
    control and steering linkages with linseed oil. A piece of
    chicken wire at the air filter box inlet would be helpful to
    prevent mouse nests. (yes, it happened to me)
    I hadn't seen the new crash test, but I can hardly say I'm impressed by it. An acceptable frontal crash test is still bad compared to the alternatives.

At this point, I wouldn't be willing to gamble on any Kia over an Aerio. I've been to the quote-unquote Aerio style forums, and my impression is of a fairly well made car. Is it top of the line in reliability, probably not. But neither is the Spectra.

I own an Aveo (GMDAT), and I can see the strides Hyundai has made, but Kia is not there yet.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    No offense but your view on Kia is a bit behind the times. Hyundai and Kia are virtual clones of each other so to consider one less reliable then the other doesn't make much sense. Kia pre-2001 was way below Hyundai but once their old models were replaced with Hyundai models, their reliability has shot way up.

By the way, read the Aerio problems forum, you might be shocked to hear some of the problems that have been occuring.
    As long as Kia has the Rio - the worst car in America, and as long as they can't get a decent crash test out of a Spectra, they are behind Hyundai. I don't see a new and improved Kia reflected anywhere except in the occasional owner testimony.

I remember a few years ago, reading about your Hyundai Accent, I almost bought one from listening to you. (not that it is related to Kia or Suzuki)

Is there specifically an Aerio problems forum? I'll have to look at that.
    Visited the Aerio problems forum - yikes - hopefully they've worked out some of those rather significant bugs. What problems did you have?
    in the end I went with a Malibu Maxx, simply because of dealer strength and the troubling nosedive in SX sales, even though the 05 SX is much improved over earlier models IMHO.

I'm averaging at the EPA 22/30 about 2 mpg less than I got with the 5-speed Elantra GLS. Remarkable considering that I have 75% more displacement. The car is no more comfortable than the Elantra-- probably slightly less although there's a ton more backseat room and I love the flexibility.

Both the SX and the Maxx had tons of standard equipment. I really came close to buying the SX, but the idea of having a rather oddball looking car that was standard, plain vanilla underneath was more appealing than buying a rather oddball looking car that has a limited parts and supply chain tipped it for the Maxx. In general, it appears that Maxx owners are having less trouble with their cars than the Aerio owners, although Elantra owners generally seem happier than either.

There certainly seems to be more marketing effort directed at the Daewoos by Suzuki and this also gave me pause.
  • jmdchienjmdchien Posts: 11
    You have your point there. I am facing the choice of maxx and sx too. Kind of leaning to sx because it is 100% made in Japan. Still not decide yet. Could you please share with me the price you paid? If you rather do it privately. My email is jmdchien@gmail.com Thanks.
    ---
    James
  • davidd5davidd5 Posts: 79
    Seems like the Aerio and Malibu Maxx would not be cars that would be cross shopped. I love my Aerio, but just because it's made in Japan doesn't mean the quaility is the be all to end all. Mine 03 SX has more squeaks and rattles then my wifes 10 year old Neon.
    1. Odd-ball but unique looks.
    2. Lots of flexibility-- cargo space.
    3. Better mileage than most with similar size--i.e. an suv.
    4. Huge amounts of kit for the price-- SX with climate control and cd-changer, Maxx with adjustable pedals, semi-power seat, trip computer on base car.

Book was $22K, I paid $16. With a GM card I could have done better.

Only Suzuki I ever owned was a 250 2-stroke in the mid-seventies, fond memories of that one.
  • ca770ca770 Posts: 16
    Hi there! I am interested in purchasing a 2005 Aerio SX 5M, what is the best quote everyone got lately? Also I have been looking at a used 2003 SX 5M with 6000 miles, it has all the options except ABS. The dealership is asking $9995 for it, is that a good deal?
    Thanks
  • stolguystolguy Posts: 12
    That's a great deal. Buy it. Think of the beer money you'll keep.
    It doesn't need ABS, my 03 stops smooth and quick. Some complain
    about the "soft pedal" but it sure beats those jerky hard pedals.
    This is an all-purpose convenience car not a racer. Mine has the back
    seats permanently folded down. Lots of room for carrying.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    I'm a big Suzuki fan.(not Daewoo Suzuki, nothing against Daewoo just think they should be called Daewoo's or Chevy's not Suzuki's) I have read a lot of horror stories about brakes and rattles but the most serious is the 5 speed gearbox problems.. I personally have not had the problems that some have had. Our suzuki has been the most reliable vehicle that I have owned in the last 25 years but is is an automatic. I am not a fan of automatic transmissions. I shift ours manually because it always wants to be in a higher gear as soon as possible. That said in a suzuki I would buy an automatic. They have a horrible track record all over the world for the manual gear box they put in the Aerio/Liana and it's ancestor the Baleno/Esteem. I do not know who supplies it to them but it is a poor design. Failure rate is very high. I know a few people that have Metro/swifts that have manual gear box's and have very high miles with no failures. If you change the fluid every 30000 in automatic it should go the life of the car. Ours has over 250000 miles on it. Offer them 8999 for it. that will pay for part of the gear box when it goes south.
    Thank you so much stolguy and chrisducati for your information. We got it for 9300 (not as good as 8999) but still I think it is a pretty good deal. I am going to take it in for the break noise. Also I just found out the CD player doesn't work, it keeps giving me a ER-3 message, the user manual says "check the disc"??? The break is a little bit soft but it works. Overall, it drives much better than my 98 mustang. we are really happy with it.
    I took my 2003 SX in today, a new CD unit has been ordered. The service guy said that the noise from my break is NORMAL, especially when applying break while in 1st gear and reverse. He said the clunking noise is caused by "the break pad is trying to fall into the calipers". Smeone mentioned that there was a
    bulletin for this problem, I couldn't find it. I need advise!
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    There is a bulletin on this brake noise... they have to put clips on the pads. It isn't normal. Check posts # 4 and # 60 in the Aerio problem and solutions section of the forum. :)
    Refers to the Aerio as the Reno, but makes another reference in the copy to the Aerio SX. What's that, a Reno?

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050304.002

I guess if it's Japanese Car Fans, even Korean names become Japanese :confuse:
  • nhardsnhards Posts: 1
    Live in the Ottawa Area and I am looking for a set of 14" Rims for my Aerio, nothing to flashy, I just want a nice set of rims for the summer, since I am going to use the factory rims for my winter tires.
  • twaintwain Posts: 185
    I leased a 2000 Focus ZX3. Despite all the callbacks, I loved the car. But I didn't love no power windows and no cruise. So my next car was a 2002 Aerio SX with power windows and cruise for 15k and zero interest.

I've been very satisfied. It's very reliable and practical. Gets high 20s to low 30s on gas mileage. So far, no problems at all other than a few squeaks and a keyless remote that quit working.
    My 2003 Aerio has only 7000 miles, two weeks ago the engine developed a new problem - CHOKING on the first start in the morning. The RPM runs extremly low around 200-300, it feels that there is not enough fuel going into the engine. After choking for 5-10 seconds everything becomes normal. Last Sunday, the engine finally stalled (the "check engine" light did not come on) but started right away on the second attempt. I took it into the dealship twice already and they told me they cannot duplicate the same problem, therefore, there is no problem with the car. What could be the problem? Thanks :sick:
  • evenstevenevensteven Posts: 8
    Its probably either your fuel pump or your fuel filter? If not that, then some kind of weird electronic thing.
  • evenstevenevensteven Posts: 8
    Probably your fuel pump. possibly your filter. Or you may have a leak in your fuel system somewhere which causes you to have to low a pressure in your injectors for you car to run properly for a few seconds untill the pump pressurizes it again. Try turning the igniton to the on position without turning it over for about 10 seconds before you start it. Then see if it starts up good.
This discussion has been closed.