Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
Was just announced at the Detroit Auto Show yesterday. Here's the link to the Subaru Baja site:

http://www.subarubaja.com/index.html

There has been also a large discussion going on over at the "Subaru Crew" over at the "Owner's Clubs," especially in the "Future Models" section.

Bob

Comments

• armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    I think that the Baja is a major disappointment and is likely to prove a major mistake if left in it's present form. Ugly, much to much rear overhang and under powered.

Ross
  • But now I'm pretty disappointed to say the least, No Dual Range tranny, No H-6, No switchback (a pass through doesn't qualify in my world). Doesn't look like there will be an increase in towing capacity either. The lack of a dual range was the real kicker for me though. Style wise I like it, Over hang is a bit much but thats what I expected from a lenghthend Legacy, I'll keep my Forester until something with more utility comes along (for me thats Dual Range, and maybe some more clearance, and power)

I'd be interested in driving one though.

Stephen
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    More power and cleaning up the cladding. I agree a true switchback system would be nice but I don't think it's absolutely necessary for success if the first two items are taken care of. Of course this is just IMHO. :-)

Stephen
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,663
    The Ford Explorer Sport Trac as the Baja's most direct competitor, in that they are both "lifestyle" pickups. However, the approach to appealing to this "lifestyle audience" couldn't be more different.

The Sport Trac is pure truck, and built off the Ranger Extended Cab platform. They both share the same wheelbase. They also share the same old fashioned part-time 4WD, which does have a low range. It comes with all the virtues and vices that one would assume, coming from a truck platform.

The same can be said of the Baja, but in reverse, as it comes from a car platform.

The Sport Trac has, to date, found a good audience. It will be interesting to see how the public, and Sport Trac crowd, will react to the Baja.

Bob
    if Subaru will offer a hard bed cover that will lock, and/or a bed cap?

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I know you can get Nudge Bars and protective bars for the Baja at http://www.ecb-usa.com :) At least in that respect it can be somewhat truck-like.

-mike

• odd1odd1 Posts: 226
    ..as I have seen it called elsewhere; OutBrat.
  • hondafriekhondafriek Ottawa CanadaPosts: 2,924
    Why the hell all the manufacturers are adding that ugly cladding at the minute, IE. Volvo on the cross country audi on the allroad,subaru on the Baja.

My wife took one look and said ugly and I am inclined to agree, almost as butt ugly as the aztek, I think subaru has missed the boat here.

Cheers Pat.
    I have *some* cladding on my trooper but not a whole lot and since its mono-tone it isn't even noticeable. Monotone would go a long way to make the cladding not stick out so much.

-mike
    it would be monochromatic, as that is the color of the cladding.

If you go into the web site, it shows you color swatches. When you click on each color swatch, the picture of the vehicle changes color.

Bob
    if it has a full-size spare like the Forester, or a donut like the Outback? There certainly should be room for a full-size spare, and I hope that's what it has.

Bob
    And silver rocks! :)

-mike
    appear to be from the Outback Sport.

Bob
    Class I towing. :(

On the web site, they mention a Class I tow hitch. Bummer... but as expected.

Bob
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Posts: 464
    What a mess! Why do auto stylists feel the need to tack on so much crap to a clean design? The cladding on my 01 Outback was almost bad enough to keep me from buying it, and the Baja is flat disgusting. Some things are just not meant to be, and this is one of them. The overhangs on the Outback are already so long that they scrape on everything offroad, and it looks like the Baja might even have a longer rear overhang. To me, the Explorer SportTrac is much better in execution than this (even though I wouldn't buy one with my own money). I love my subaru, but I'd rather see Subaru focus their efforts on bringing the H6 to a wider (and cheaper) range with a manual transmission rather than the Baja mess. Just my reaction...
  • meth1meth1 Posts: 4
    I just bought a new Forester and am now thinking I'll replace my Toyota truck this summer. The Baja would have been a top choice if it hadn't come out so ugly. I bet you can't put a half ton of bricks in the back either. What were they thinking?
  • mrk610mrk610 Posts: 378
    What were they thinking . Atleast put the h6 in there or the 2.0turbo . I think they are going to be dissappointed.

mike k
  • here is a link to The Car Connection on the Detroit intro of the Baja

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4539&sid=176&n=156

They mention a 3.5 liter boxer 6.

It's a typo, they meant to say 2.5l Boxer Engine.

-mike
  • Who knows?...it specifically says boxer 6, not boxer 4. Not getting one anyway; Michael is too young to drive!
    Their information is not correct; no 3.5 boxer six. They also indicate it comes with a bed extender. Well it does, but it's an option, not standard.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No H6 is a surprise, but they may offer it later, for 2004 I bet. I was right about the towing - no change from the Outback. What do I get for winning the pool? ;-)

You guys are ignoring several pros, though:

* 5 speed manual availability
    * pass-through
    * bed extender also
    * cladding doesn't ding/scratch as easily
    * lots of standard equipment

Cons include 4 cylinder only, in a hauler which needs more torque more than any Soob. Class I towing is nothing to brag about, it's the lowest available in any Crew Cab.

The styling is OK for the market they're trying to reach, if you don't like it you're too old as they say. Give them credit for having the cojones, I really thought they would tone it down to Outback levels.

Bottom line? Depends on price. For $28k fuggedaboutit. No way it would make my short list. $25k or less and it'll sell, for $23k it would be a bargain.

-juice
    (sorry, I hate to keep repeating myself) is that with with the ST-X concept, I saw hope that Subaru was getting serious about offering a vehicle with a bit more more off-road worthiness. It had:

• A supercharged 2.5L engine, with some serious power.
    What the the production Baja get? The base 2.5L, with no other power options.

• Dual-range tranny. MIA from the production Baja.

• 1" more ground clearance. MIA from the production Baja.

• Switchback mid-gate. MIA from the production Baja. Instead it got a pass-through.

On a positive note:

* The Baja is better looking than the ST-X. Frankly, I hated the ST-X's styling. To me it's as bad looking as the Aztek. The production Baja, while still not great looking, is much better looking than the ST-X.

• The rear passenger area is larger on the Baja than it was on the ST-X. That's good.

I know concept cars are designed to get the public excited, and that many items that we all like will never see the light of day. However, with the Baja, those MIA items could easily made production.

So the ST-X sent somewhat mixed messages: on one hand it was very exciting, but on the other hand, Subaru had never really had any intention of producing a vehicle with all the good stuff in the first place. So, I see it as a "burst balloon"...

Bob
    Give it the H6 and few would be asking for a low range. The H6 has 27% more peak torque than the H4. The H4's low range has 17% gear reduction, or basically the equivalent of 17% more torque.

So, H6 that bad boy. That's all it would take to make it a good seller.

-juice
  • Thanks for the link. I think the "Outbrat" looks great from the picture. Not $26,000 great though. I'll buy the Dodge SRT 500hp 150mph pickup instead, if you'll buy the insurance and gas.
    Keep in mind that's MSRP. With H4 only, my guess is they'll sell for invoice from day one.

-juice
    I'd be very surprised to see waiting lists and/or ADMs.

Bob
    LOL, no way, no how. Forget it. Any dealer that does that is completely out of his mind.

Even with the H6, full MSRP at most, and only for a short while.

-juice
    it will be interesting to see how Fitzgeralds price it.

Bob