Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    You have an electronic brake control on your Forester? What brand, and where is it located? How heavy is your trailer?

Bob
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Okay, well, maybe it wasn't so wacky an idea...
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Yes. We tow a '95 Coleman Rio Grande pop-up tent trailer. Curb weight 1650#, GVWR 2000#. We travel pretty light, so that the trailer never hits maximum. I literally use a bathroom scale to set the tongue load to 190# by judiciously adjusting cargo in the trailer.

I have a Draw-Tite class II frame reciever (1.25") and a Draw-Tite Model "Activator" electronic brake controller. I went with the OEM trailer harness to forestall any issues with the electrical loads in the lighting circuits, and have a Draw-Tite 4-pin to 7-pin Barco (aka "RV") adapter mounted next to the reciever. The brake controller is tied directly to the battery via a 20 amp auto-reset breaker, so that its load is isolated from the rest of the vehicle electronics.

The brake controller is mounted on the underside of the dash below my knee-height between the steering column and the center console. It's a little difficult to reach there, but with practice plenty accessible.

This controller offers the usual analog (stepless) timing and "effort" (I believe voltage) controls + manual engage. Very easy to use. I wouldn't tow in the mountains without one. We have a lot of 10-15 mile long 6-7% grades around here.

Hope this helps,

-brianV
    it was very helpful.

Bob
    And the Forester is a 5 speed or an automatic?
    '01 S+ 5MT
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Good thing it's not a guest chat this week. My first cold of the winter completely ran off with my voice!!

Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

The Subaru Crew meets every Thursday at 6PM PT/9PM ET... stop by and join us to talk Subaru or anything else automotive that might come up! Hope to see you there tonight!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Brian: just curious, how much for that trailer brake kit?

-juice
    Hmmm, it's been a while, and it wasn't really a "kit" per se, I did my homework and put the pieces together myself.

If memory serves, it went something like this:

Class II Draw-Tite Frame Hitch w/ 2" ball - $110
    OEM trailer harness - $70
    Draw-Tite 4>7pin Barco adaptor - $15
    Draw-Tite Activator I brake controller, installed - $130 (RV dealer did the install)
    Coleman 7" trailer brake kit w/ breakaway switch, installed - $400

I installed the receiver frame, wiring harness and Barco adapter, then (carefully) towed the trailer to my RV dealer and had them install the trailer brake kit and electronic controller.

A matter of having knowledgeable people doing the critical installation bits.

-brianV
    5.7L V8, AWD, and gorgeous! What's not to like, other than it's not sold here?

Subaru had better take a long hard look at this vehicle. It's everything the Baja isn't.

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/2_03_hold.htm

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm moving to australia.

Commodore
    Cross8
    TLCs

All the good cars!

-mike
    Very cool... what GM chassis is this built on? The front end looks sort of like the U.S. Malibu...
    I've mentioned before, but omitted above, that I added an OEM engine oil cooler to the Forester when I set it up to tow our camper.

The engine oil cooler is stock with the Forester AT (along with an AT cooler), but left off of the MT models (pretty sure this is still the case).

The OEM engine oil cooler was $325 from Teague's in NC, about $100 less than my local dealer. Easy bolt on, mounts between oil filter and block.

-brianV
    Sorry about the misplaced Forester tow bits, we got started here, and I just went with the flow...

-brianV
  • skiweeskiwee Member Posts: 28
    It's been awhile since anyone has posted any modifications they've done on their Baja. Any ideas, including engine???
    Mike
  • fajing6fajing6 Member Posts: 7
    Someone at NASIOC just posted that the Baja Sport is now on Subaru's website. Unless they start selling for invoice or less I'm still not attracted to the price. There isn't much difference in cost for what you get or don't for that matter.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    I hear you fajing6. I am one of the very few who actually WANTS to buy a Baja. Unfortunately, I deem the price for one too high. If the Sport came in around 18,000 I would be the first to buy one. Maybe when they sit on dealer's lots as long as the regular Bajas they'll be discounted as much.
    It's built off the Commodore/monaro/sigma platform.

-mike
    Are you sure the Forester AT has an engine oil cooler? I thought it had an ATF Cooler not an EO Cooler.

-mike

-mike
    One shop sold it as an option for the 5 speed, mike, so it's an engine oil cooler for sure.

That Holden does look cool. I'm not sure 18" rims are appropriate on a ute, aren't those things used on farms and such? The DVD is also out of place in that type of vehicle.

But I do like the V8, the skid plates, the styling is well sorted, and the OEM bed cover.

Saw a Baja Sport at the Baltimore Auto Show, in fact mike and Bob came too. The cloth seats are the same as on the Legacy L, i.e. a nice velour upholstery that is grippy and comfy. The headlight clusters are also from the L, and the black door handles actually look fine because there is lots of black trim on the Baja anyway.

To save $2 grand I'd definitely pick the Sport. With regular Bajas at $20.6k, it could potentially cost about $19k street price, and that seems more than fair. It would be cheaper than any Outback by far.

They had an aftermarket bed cover on the Baja at the show, also. It was not quite an OE fit. They had bolted on a rain rail that went around the whole bed, then the removable cover, with a cheap lock, but a lock nonetheless. But it was a decidedly 2nd rate install, with visible screws misaligned. I'd love to see an OE cover that was better sorted.

Bob pointed out how easy it was to steal a bed extender (this on a Sport Trac). Oh my, 2 seconds and it's gone. Lock those up. Also, Subaru's price for the bed extender is higher than what Ford charges. We wondered out loud if they were interchangeable, they do extend in width and I bet they are.

-juice
    Quite certain - The Forester AT has both an AT cooler and an engine oil cooler stock. Crawl under any Forester AT on the dealer's lot and look. It's about the size of the oil filter, mounted between the filter and the block.

MT models mount the oil filter directly to the block.

-brianV
    So the autos have both.

The engine oil cooler is sold separately as an option for Foresters. Not sure if those fit other Subie models.

I haven't had a problem burning oil between oil changes, and it doesn't seem to run hot, so I passed.

-juice
    I would be surprised if it didn't fit any 2.5 phase II subie. I won't speak for any other engine, given my lack of experience with them, but there's probably fair odds there as well, given Subaru's penchant for reusing parts across designs.

With the oil cooler installed, the lowest point on the OEM filter is still no lower than the bottom of the oil pan, so unless there's a frame member passing through there (that isn't present on the Forester), it ought to fit.

-brianV
    The Baja and Outback are pretty clear in that area, so yeah I bet it would fit.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    is being advertised at $4000 off MSRP in the local paper at a number of dealerships in the Portland area, along with the regular Bajas. That comes out to just over $18,500 for a base sport with no options.
    Now that's a deal. Even if they add freight to that price, it meets my target.

-juice
  • fajing6fajing6 Member Posts: 7
    I need to take a trip to Portland!
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Lot of competition in the Portland area among Subaru dealers. That price includes freight.
    OK, odds are the Baja will get the same engine as the Forester, so it should be a 2.5l turbo with:

* 210 hp
    * 235 ft-lbs (mama-mia) at a low 3600rpm
    * AVCS
    * it's based on the STi engine!
    * black side walls were used on the Forester turbo

Subaru did add body color door handles and basically all the stuff from the XS package, so if they do the same with the Baja it probably means no Baja Sport with a Turbo, only the higher end model.

I hope I'm wrong, make it a stand-alone option, $2 grand tops.

-juice
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    A co-worker just got back from a week+ in Hawaii. He saw at least 7 Bajas while there. He figured it was one of the more popular cars/truck on the island.

--jay
    Wow, cool.

The PDF from the SIA plant did mention the Baja was selling well in non-traditional areas, specifically the sun belt. I guess Hawaii too.

Maybe we'll start seeing more Subies outside the snow belt!

-juice
    I checked out the newest Subie dealer in the Denver area - Mike Shaw Subaru in Thornton.

They had an red monotone Baja parked out front - dealer add-on option ($1600). Looks very sharp that way, but $. Where's that 2.5T ?

For those smarting from the weak dealer network on the front range (I've had serveral bad experiences over the last 2 years at 2 different dealerships), the folks I talked to were competent and enthusiastic without being pushy. I'm going to give them a try going forward.

-brianV
    That must be a one-off, dealer painted option.

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I have seen them at car shows and on dealer lots but I had NEVER seen one actually being driven on a public road until this morning's commute.

How long have they been for sale? I have a hunch we won't see a Baja variant of the next Legacy.

Ed
    On the red mono-tone Baja, the dealer's comment was, "We wanted people to see that they could get the monotone in any color."

Just goes to show what a problem all that cladding is causing - or more specifically the mismatch between styling and delivered performance. Styling = Pepsi generation; performance = flower-power generation. Who's buying ? Flower power people, from what I've gathered in the demographics.

Pretty red though.

-brianV
    I would not be at all surprised when the Baja turbo debuts, that it's available only in monotone colors. Think Forester XS Premium/XT...

Bob
    That would be a good idea. To be honest, I have yet to see one on public roads, and that's a shame. Maybe now that prices dropped.

-juice
  • ellenst2ellenst2 Member Posts: 11
    I've seen only one on the road. That's what prompted me to check into them. I've now had my silver 5 speed for a week and I'm loving it.
    That'll keep them rare and unique. I just hope they sell enough to stick around for a while.

-juice
    Hey, get this - I just got an e-mail offer from Subaru for $500 off any Baja purchase, after negotiating my best deal. Sounds like a rebate to me.

I think it's because I registered and played that Baja adventure game they had, remember?

Any how, it's valid until 3/31, but only for members of my family. But for anyone shopping, you may want to try to register somehow, or call to inquire about the program.

fitzmall.com has one for $20,698 with auto and the bed extender, that would be $20,198. Not bad. And that's not even the Sport model, which will probably run $1500 less.

-juice
    I also registered and played. Didn't win anything but I did win a Forester wireless mouse some time back that I've since misplaced (!).

Ed
    Hmm, how'd you win that mouse?

And a WRC steering wheel too, you lucky duck.

-juice
    What's this Baja game you guys are talking about?
    Before the launch, they had this "Baja Quest" game on the Subaru web site, where you would answer trivia in order to enter a raffle to win prizes.

I didn't win anything, but actually someone else here did. I did get that e-mail though.

If you want to get one, I'd call 800-SUBARU3 and ask how you can get on that list. Sales are slow so I'd expect them to try to help make a sale.

Good luck.

-jucie
    Mouse win was a local dealership promo (Fred Beans, Doylestown, PA). Steering wheel win was, well you knoe, contest entry at SWRT website, provide a caption for a photo of Tommi Makinen and Petter Solberg.

Ed
    Thanks for the info on the game. Since I just bought one, I doubt I'd get anything from them.

I just came back from getting the dealer to install my Tonneau cover. If anyone is considering getting one, go with an after market. This thing is going to be a real pain to get off and on.
    I wanted to add more info on this Tonneau cover I had the dealer install. I thought it would be like the one on my husbands truck which snaps in place. This has the lip thing that you have to lock into place and slip it out to get it off all the way around. Very hard to do. Also, you can't open the tailgate with the cover on!
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Guys, I heard a radio ad today for Colonial Subaru (Philadelphia area). They said "buy a Subaru Baja for 16,9XX". I don't know the details of this price (you know how the ads in papers always include money down) but they also said to view the ad in the Philadelphia Inquirer which I will do in Sunday's paper. Could the prices have fallen THIS low? I'll let you know when I see the ad.
    Dunno, kahuna. I do get my car serviced at Colonial sometimes, not because they're the best but because they're very close to my office.

Ed