Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    with you about offering more color choices for the Baja. Right now you either have high-contrast choices (Red/Silver, Black/Silver % Yellow/Silver), or the no-contrast Silver/Silver.

I would like to see a couple of subtle-contrast colors offered, such as: Titanium/Silver and SeaMist Pearl/Silver. The Titanium and SeaMist Pearl are currently offered on the Legacy and Outback models.

Bob
    or lack-there-of...

Subaru marketers really dropped the ball on this exciting new vehicle. The Baja has been on dealer lots now for almost two weeks, and no dealer (that I'm aware of) has gotten any brochures to hand out to interested customers!

Here you have an excited audience, about a really new product, and little information is available! The Baja web site does little to help. It's nothing more than a teaser to get you into the showroom; nothing more.

Only the barest of specifications is currently available, and little info on options. The sales people are equally at a loss. People come in with questions, and the sales people have few answers, because they don't know anything either. It does not reflect well on SOA, at all.

Bob
  • Can anyone recommend a northern NJ dealer? There is one Nissan/Subie dealership in Morris County that I was advised to avoid if I wanted straight talk and a straight deal. Any firsthand advice?
  • miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    A few NJ folks have posted their recommendations in the Owners Club, Subaru Crew: Best Service Facilities discussion. The Edmunds search engine may or may not return results, so you might have to browse 20 posts at a time.

..Mike Smith

..Mike

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I agree with Bob, the Sea Mist Green looks good, as does a monotone Gold color, and that pearlescent white with or without the two-tone.

That white is the VDC's prettiest color, IMO.

-juice
  • Here's my solution for carrying 4'x8' plywood sheets and longer timbers with the Baja.

Maybe there will be some professional looking after-market option like this one day. Since

I don't have my bed extender yet, I can't really tell if it would interfere with this. If intersted, check it out. http://www.mcgaughey.org/webpage/images/baja/baja_review.html#09162002

Paul.

• miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    Nice project, Paul, it looks great! You forgot to list the number of Coronas needed for the job. ;)

..Mike Smith

..Mike

Way to go, well documented, parts listed, and you even chose good beer! :-)

Uh, where's the lime?

-juice
    I'm hoping that Subaru (or some accessory manufacturer) would offer an option similar to this, as an option. These kinds of racks are commonly available for full size commercially-oriented pickups.

Bob
    I doubt Subaru would do it because of the limited payload. Something like that would just urge some folks to go overboard (not implying you would, BTW).

-juice
    The Baja roof rack is only rated at 100 pounds.

Bob
    Yeah, but you're divinding the weight of the lumbar a bit, probably half the load is on the custom-made rack.

But I still wouldn't haul more than maybe 150 lbs or so.

-juice
  • I probably wouldn't need to carry more than 100lbs anyway, its just that if I need to carry a few timbers or sheets of plywood on the weekends, I can now do it with this contraption. Previously that was a limitation of this vehicle that I did not have with my Tacoma. I'm a happy camper now that I've solved this issue - for me anyway. But I'm not planning to use the Baja as a work truck or anything :)
    FYI it took 3 Coronas to build this thing.
    Corona light. Light duty pickup, light beer, right? :-)

-juice
  • Am I correct? No V6 option? Ugggghhh! My brother was excited about the baja. He asked about engine size./ When I said 4 cyl only, he said no thanks. Why oh why is there no V6.
    Alsdo, I think its about time that GM/Subaru hired some designers.

Tom
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    All Subaru's use flat (Horizontally opposed) engines, so it would be an H6.

Unfortunately, the H6 isn't available right now. Although there are rumors that it will be. Some magazine (or web site) said that Subaru said we'll get it. That was one of the biggest complaints when the specs were announced. Especially since the concept version had a supercharged engine.

Don't knock the torquey flat 4 until you've tried it. :-)

-Dennis
    If we see a V layout, it would mean a GM-sourced engine. Run, do not walk.

Some pubs are already mentioning a more powerful Baja will be sold next year. I'm sure Subaru is waiting to see how well the Baja sells, and haven't made a final decision yet.

But I bet it will have the H6 in MY2004. It's a truck for CAFE purposes, so fuel mileage is completely a non-issue. They could put as much power as they want, basically.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    I agree that there's a H6 in the Baja's future, the question being when? Look at DC, they are just now offering a turbo option for the PT Cruiser so MY-04 for the Baja might be a bit soon. I think it depends on sales. If the Baja flies off the dealer lots, then there'll be less of an incentive to add an H6 option.

-Frank P.

P.S. Saw my first Baja on the road last week.
    Still no Baja sightings here. I think DC dealers got them a little later than some other areas, though.

-juice
  • I placed a $500 deposit on a Baja on Wednesday. The owner of the dealership told me he'd have a VIN for me in two days - so far nada. I called the salesman on Friday and he told me they haven't found one yet. I told him I'd also take a black one. They have two Bajas on the lot, a red one and a black one, but both are automatics and I am dead-set on a 5 speed. I drove one of the autos - it was adequate and sold me on the vehicle, but I'm looking for something a little more fun (FYI I tested a WRX wagon also - but that's another story). I plan to give them until Wednesday again before I start rattling their cages. Does anyone know much about the inventory listed on the Web sites? They seem to be pretty uniform from dealer to dealer. I noticed a dealer down in Tampa had a black 5-speed on the web site, but since my local dealer had 4 listed on their web site, I wasn't sure how reliable that info is.