Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    I think SOA is doing the best they can with the Baja, but boy, it's still going to be a tough sell, with the new Outback sitting side-by-side. I just hope they offer more Baja turbos this year, because I think that's the only Baja that will offer any hope for the Baja to continue.

If they offer more turbo Bajas, I'm convinced that model will sell. Frankly I think the base Baja Sport is just a dead horse. Just like with the Impreza line, offer (produce!) more turbos, and I think there just might be some hope for a future 2nd-generation Baja. If the Turbo-to-Sport production ratio remains like '04, I think you can kiss the Baja goodbye after MY06.

Bob
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Actually I finally saw my first Baja Turbo on the road thsi weekend. It was a deep blue monotone, and I have to say it looked nice!

I know a few friends who like the Baja, they just wish for a couple of things: make it a 5 passneger, and make the carrying bed bigger.

Mark
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The 2000 Outback was only average, but improved to "better than average" after the first model year and remained there. So maybe you're right, they're just being careful.

It's possible some of the people complained about rattles yet did not diagnose where it was coming from. So CR might not have realized they were for the most part talking about the bed cover.

-juice
    Out of curiousity has anyone driven the Baja Turbo, Forester XT, OB XT & Legacy GT? I'm curious how it stacks up to the rest.

Mark
    Only the F-XT and the GT (AT and MT for both). I should sample the others.

-juice
    That wouldn't happen to be in Dandridge, would it? If so please say hi to Darlene in parts, we really miss her!

-juice
  • jms02050jms02050 Posts: 2
    Any idea if the automatic climate control has been changed in the Forester? The large number of complaints about it on this forum have actually kept me from purchasing a 2004 Forester. I'm holding out hope that it has been improved for '05.
    Actually yes, it was changed a bit. I think they moved the location of the temp sensor, something like that.

Those more familiar with HAL in the Forester thread might offer up more information, FWIW.

-juice
  • moraisinsmoraisins Posts: 9
    hey all,

Just curious to the milieage between the Sport and Turbo. I know the Turbo is more fun to drive, but the specs say the mileage is 23/mpg (highway) vs. the Sport's 28/mpg - that is a considerable difference in mileage. What do you guys think of your Baja's mileage? I think I would rather have the better mileage over the turbo speed, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Does the turbo really only give you 23/mpg?

thanks!
    moraisins
    Actually, let me rephrase my question and ignore my previous posting:

Is the Turbo engine worth the lower mileage vs. the Sport? This is a fairly subjective question, so I can't see a right/wrong answer, just want to know your opinions.

Thanks!
    moraisins
  • yooperyooper Posts: 30
    I have a 2003 Baja Sport with the automatic transmission and 9000 miles. I just finished a long road trip and average 30.002 mpg over 1100 miles. This was driving the posted speed limit. I had varied conditions that included 300 miles of rain, some use of the A/C and some stop and go around a city. Half of the trip was with a moderate load of 4 passengers and luggage. Interestingly the best mileage was posted with the load and intermitted use of the A/C. I don't know how the turbo Baja would do, but I was quite impressed with my Sport.

Any other stories about gas mileage with the Baja?
    wow! that is pretty good, considering the Baja is pretty heavy! I'm thinking of getting one myself, but the mileage is kind of important to me so I'm really glad you answered back! I just want to make sure this car is overall a good buy, this will be my first new vehicle purchase! thanks for the story :)

moraisins
    Yes, typically mileage improves as you break it in. And I mean 10k miles, not 1k miles.

I was getting 22-23 mpg at first, but now, 6 years later, my lifetime average is better than 25mpg in my '98 Forester.

Wait for an '05 - the Forester's mileage just improved to 23/30 with a manual, the Baja might get a similar bump in mpg.

-juice
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    from Honda, apparently their SUT is coming out in 2005 with Full time AWD, variable torque, V-6, 5,000 lb tow rating.

They don't seem to be thinking the pass through is essential. Again, I think that Honda is on to something here. If Subaru would super-size their Baja, the two would go head to head.

John
    It's funny because someone surveyed Avalanche owners and they found out people don't use it as often as they thought.

-juice
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    Subaru rule 1: they get better than EPA spec on the highway.
    Subaru rule 2: at 15 to 20 k miles the mileage improves dramatically.

98 forester L 5 speed: 30 mpg

02 WRX wagon 30 mpg

03 WRX sedan 29 mpg (only 16 k miles so far)
    that the Baja is sold in Chile?

http://www.subaru.cl/index.asp

I checked the Subaru Global site, but Chile is the only South American country in which the Baja is sold, which seems odd... I mean why Chile of all places?

Bob
    Saw an article in today's NY Times about vehicles such as the Baja. Amongst their comments are:

"The demand for carlike comfort and trucklike utility would seem to assure a steady demand for Subaru's Outback-based Baja and Honda's upcoming SUT among buyers whose lives are full of weekend projects and outdoor activities. No doubt they will do a fine job of carrying the family on Sunday, though their suitability for hauling pigs on Monday may not measure up to that of their predecessors."

So even they feel there is a market for the Baja - now SOA jsut has to market it better so sales can pick up.

Mark
    Oh I do too, and as you know, have been saying from day one. I think this is especially true now that traditional pickups are hell-bent on out-super-sizing one another each time they get re-done.

Bob
    is needed, the cab needs to be expanded. I am 6'3" and my head is in the roof (front and back) on the Baja. I have 3" clearance on my Forester. If SOA is to get any American sales into the pickup/crossover market, they have to deal with this problem.

John
    Agreed, and more utility too. Most of us have been saying the same thing for some time here.

Bob
  • yooperyooper Posts: 30
    I posted this on one of the Subaru Chat threads but it was quickly buried with discussion on the new Outback. I think based on what has been stated in the last few posts it can be posted again.

Where is Subaru's advertising? I think they targeted the wrong audience. Subaru needs to compare the Baja to other vehicles and highlight its utility features.

I have hauled in my Baja: a riding lawnmower, mulch, shrubbery, gas cans, garbage cans (with garbage), recycle materials, lumber and who knows what else. Of course the occassional bike too. I have also taken on 2 foot deep snow drifts and snow banks when I was a volunteer Ambulance driver and was responding to an emergency. However, it is primarily a commuter that also carries my family when necessary. Yet, I still get decent gas mileage.

My point: Why can't Subaru target young families that need a commuter vehicle that also serves as a utility vehicle?

Imagine a commerical like this. A Baja at the gas pump next to a full size pick up and a sedan with the owners conversing. Show the vehicles with the exact same cargo (say a lawnmower and a can of gas). The sedan owner complains about messing up the trunk (with a lawnmower hazardously sticking out the back)and stinking up the interior with a gas can also in the trunk. Meanwhile the full sized truck owner is complaining about pumping in $50 of gas, yet is hauling the same load. Next the commercial highlights the Baja owner who has a $20 gas bill, the lawn mower and can of gas in the back, not to mention the kids (or car pool gang) in the back seat.

Make variations of this type of advertising, just show the utility of the vehicle to the common folk!

The general public doesn't even know the Baja exists. I have been asked numerous times what type of vehicle I am driving and have had numerous positive interactions concerning this vehicle.

It is a great vehicle with great capabilities.

Subaru of America..... I think you need to change your audience! (and advertise it mainstream media)
    I agree, advertising is either lacking or mis-directed, or both. Showing a Baja doing tasks that the average buyer could identify with is sorely lacking. Some of the examples you mentioned (putting a lawn mower in the bed for example) are great.

Bob
    I'll be hauling a lawn mower to our condo in the back of the Forester and I'm not looking forward to it. A Baja would be perfect but it's way too cramped for my wife to even consider one.

-juice
    not to belabor the point, but the problem is that the Baja does not fit an American crowd that is generally taller.

Its other attributes are wonderful. IMO, the Honda SUT will offer far more than the current generation Baja--bigger, 5,000 lb towing, more power than the current 2.5 NA, similar gas mileage to the Baja Turbo, etc. That is where sales will shine, because I agree with you, there is a pent up demand for a smaller crossover pickup that rides like a car and gets 5-10 mpg more than the full size pickup. Look at how many Avalanche sales occur, I don't think it is just a fad.

John
    The SUT won't be that small, though. I'd call it a mid-sizer. And I bet the price is about where the Pilot is, maybe more.

The Ranger may be the only small pickup left, besides the Baja, pretty soon.

-juice
    I bet the SUT comes in about at Sportrac dimensions. That is a sweet looking package, but it needs AWD, car like ride, and another 5 mpg to make it ideal.

John
    I'll say it'll be bigger. Sport Trac is based on the previous Explorer. Pilot is closer to the current Explorer's size, I believe. That platform is made to carry 3 rows of passengers.

-juice
    word on the Subaru 7 passenger? That would be an ideal platform for the next generation Baja.

John
    and yes, that would the perfect platform for a next-generation Baja.

Bob