Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's a decent tow rating for Honda, I think the Pilot gets 3500 lbs.

Mileage ain't so hot, but let's see the output of the engine first.

-juice
  • In market for compact crew cab, and for now I'm waiting for 05' models. Test drove all the 04'crew cabs trucks, not too happy. All were slugs handling, were gas hogs, and no manual transmissions available. So I gave the Turbo Baja a try. Drove it for 25 miles and it was a blast. However, its smaller than I thought, body wise and bed especially. With an unacceptable load rating of 850 lbs, I could easily overload car with 4 friends And equipment just going skiing. I mention the bed cause a bike can barely fit and forget skis unless passthrough is open which would be quite cold in winter, and only 2 could go... So my question, I see the new platform for Outback (bigger, higher towing, and bigger engine) Will they re-do the BAJA? Would be nice to see a 50 in bed, 60/40 split passthrough, higher load rating and towing, and w/ 250 ponies to a manual. I'd be first in line....
    They say it's 50/50. I'd lean towards no, slow sales for the current model mean they'll be once bitten, twice shy.

Their next model will be the 7 seater, I bet from now on they offer more traditionally segmented products.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    My understanding is the Baja will (unfortunately) remain on the current platform through MY2006. Whether it remains, and with a new body beyond that, is anybody's guess at this point. The odds don't look promising, however...

Bob
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    I second your vision, I will have over $1500 Subaru Bucks saved up by 2007, and I want to see that 25 mpg BT-MT on a large platform. Instant sale, I will be second in line (behind you :-))

John
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Join the Subaru Crew every Thursday evening for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. The chat room opens about 15 minutes before the scheduled start time, so stop on in, even if it's just to say Hello! All things Subaru is the general theme, but anything automotive is fair game too. Come on in and get to know some of your fellow Town Hallies better! See you there...

Subaru Crew Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    i noticed all 2005 specs are up except Forester. No more leather package and no more Baja yellow. Red should look good. I suppose they are trying to keep the price low on Baja by having only cloth seat models.
    the yellow is gone. There are other new colors too, mostly from the new Legacy/Outback color palette, I think. There's a monotone Garnet Red Pearl, and the Black is now Obsidian Black. I think some of the other colors have changed too. I've seen the '05 Baja in red, gray & black; two turbos, and one sport.

From what I can see, only the colors have changed. The '05 Baja is the only '05 Subaru that continues with white-letter tires, and it does not have the new cruise control stalk that other '05 Subies now have.

Bob
    Did prices drop when leather was deleted?

I think they should drop the MSRP, even if that means no rebates, then advertise the new lower price.

-juice
    The turbo was still $25K+ as I recall.

Bob
  • oceaneeroceaneer Posts: 1
    According to SOA the leather Turbo will be here in September, and will have a locking bed cover standard - manufacturer unknown but not Penda or SnugTop. At least that was the gist of an email I got from SOA this week.
    I'm not surprised about a different vender supplying the hard bed cover. I was talking to a Subie dealer the other day, and he mentioned that the hard covers currently available have been nothing but trouble. They don't fit well and the quality is lousy.

Bob
  • scratchmarcscratchmarc Posts: 19
    I'm interested in the practicality of a truck but prefer car-like handling. I looked at the Baja today at the dealer and it did seem kinda small, even compared to the little Mercury Tracer wagon I drive now. I'll stay tuned to see if it grows on me, or just gets a bit roomier down the road.

Marc
    Bob - maybe that affected their CR score? Baja scored poorly per CR.

-juice
  • moraisinsmoraisins Posts: 9
    Hello,

I'm new to this message board, but am very interested in the Baja and would like to hear any thoughts on the reliability of the Baja. I was curious as to why it got such a poor reliability rating, it got a BLACK CIRCLE! Which should effect my view of it, but oddly it doesn't. I'm that interested in the vehicle.

anyway, if anyone has any ideas why it got a bad CR rating or reasons why CR is wrong and it's a superb reliable product, please let me know. I would love to hear your opinions!

-moraisins
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    Previous speculation which sounds reasonable to me has something to do with the small sample size. Cars in general have become so much more reliable and the Baja sales have been so small, that the poor rating of the Baja may be just a statistical anomaly - i.e. a small number of cars in the sample with a higher than normal amount of problems skewed it.
    thanks for responding atlgaxt!

That makes sense. It's strange Subaru would actually make a car of poor reliability since the chassi is pretty much the same as the Outback.

These reviews have been really helpful, I'm about 95% sold. everyone seems to love their baja. Does the small rear view window ever become a problem? I drive a '95 toyota camry right now and the rear window is huge, but I noticed the baja has a pretty small rear window.

Thanks for writing back. If anyone else has any opinions on the CR rating, I'd love to hear them.

thanks!
    moraisins
    Yes - in my opinion the old cargo cover had a lot to do with it. The cargo cover was rattly, in fact they went ahead and changed suppliers.

If every owner that got one complained, that'll surely sway the numbers. I bet next year it's average or better.

-juice
    hmm, interesting...I'm sure a rattly cover would push down the ratings.

If these are the reasons CR gave the baja such a low reliability score, I don't really count those as problems. I thought it would be more issues with safety or engine problems - which are a big deal. No ones really mentioned any engine problems so far within these reviews, so maybe CR is being overly cautious because the baja is new.

Thanks juice!
    moraisins
    and they had several new '05 Bajas on the lot, and mostly turbos. The Baja is now available in that great looking new Atlantic Blue Pearl monotone, that's also found on the '05 Outbacks and Legacys. it looks very handsome in that color.

Bob