Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    if I was an owner, I would absolutely love it. But I can't be an owner because my head is in the roof and my knee is in the center counsel.

The problem of how to satisfy POTENTIAL owners is more critical than current owners IMO.

John
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Tacoma v. Baja, no competition in my mind. I'm a big fan of subies, but I'd never get the baja over a "regular" pickup truck that is within 4-5K in price. I see the Baja as an alternative for folks who would otherwise buy an Outback but want the outside storage.

-mike
    Anyone have links to hard covers for the Baja?

-mike
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Mike-

Try http://www.tonnocover.com/

They may have something.

Mark
  • yooperyooper Posts: 30
    This isn't the first time....

I was at the gas station today and pumping gas next to a older guy in a full size truck. He wanders over and says he hasn't seen one of these before, what kind is it? He also comments on the All Wheel Drive. He asks what kind of mileage I get (I've hit 30 mpg a few times on the highway). I show him the switchback door and told him I have hauled a riding mower in the back. He then comments it sure is a lot better than this (he motions to his truck which is STILL pumping gas). He was pumping before I started and was still pumping when I left and I tanked a near empty Baja.

Subaru of America.... Are you listening.... The gas station is your platform for advertising the Baja. It has been stated in several posts in recent months.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Very true, as I was pumping a whole bunch of $2.01-per today to fill my Explorer's belly.

Bob
    yep, MSN Autos has selected the Baja as a second year repeat winner in the small compact pickup category for "Most Appeal".

But, the Baja concept has tremendous appeal, but will never get me in one with my head in the roof and my knee in the center counsel.

My Forester has 1 1/2" more head and a full inch leg. Note, the new OB and Legacies are even better space-wise than the Forester.

Putting the Baja on the new OB chassis should clear up a lot. Better yet, putting it on the new 7 passenger platform will really help.

Either way, the fatal flaw of the current generation Baja is its interior size, followed by lack of bed size, followed by mediocre payload. It doesn't make sense for Subaru to spend money advertising a vehicle that suffers from these fatal flaws. Correct them, and it will sell itself.

John
    That reminds me of the lifeguards using Brats back in the 70's to patrol Hungtington Beach. Nothing like a bright yellow AWD pickup to draw attention from teenagers.

John
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Nice rack! lol

Looks like aluminum? Shouldn't be that heavy either.

-juice
  • speaking... Honda just announced some more details on the Ridgeline SUT, it will have 1,000 lb payload, room for 5 adults, 255 hp V-6 5 speed auto, VTM 4 wheel drive, and a 5 foot bed.

Photos show 4 moon roofs (or maybe it is a front and a back with a divider). Can't tell if they open or are a fixed affair.

John
    5 adults, yeah a ford festiva also seats 5 adults, would you want to put 5 adults in it? Probably not.

-mike
    Ridgeline is wide enough, though. Maybe 4 adults and one child.

I think the point is the Baja doesn't even give you the option to squeeze a 5th passenger, kids or adults.

-juice
    Finally, CR reported that reliability numbers have improved and they now recommend the Baja.

It was the only Subaru not to earn their Recommended stamp since...well, since I can remember! Must have been at least a decade.

-juice
    My Theory on CR.

I think they had a small sample size for the first year of the Baja. Instead of stating insufficient data, which they did on the Chrysler Pacifica (I think the Pacifica had higher production numbers too), they gave the Baja a poor score based on a few complaints. I feel CR may be partly to blame for poor Baja sales based on their insufficient data and giving it a poor score. My perception of CR dropped after the Baja report. They went from recommending it to avoiding it. Hmmmmm. Seems someone would have noticed and recommended a second look before jumping to conclusions, especially based on Subaru's reputation.

As for my Baja. The only flaw it has had in 11 1/2 months and 17,000 miles is a trim button on the drivers door was missing when new. Dealer fixed it with no questions. That is better than the most of the cars CR tests.

Yooper
    I wonder if they have a cut off for a certain sample size. Dunno.

What's very strange is they haven't rated a lot of Hyundais lately at all, I wonder if owners aren't filling out the surveys, or perhaps CR readers just don't buy many of them?

-juice
  • I left my bed extender off and out in the cold (California cold) and it was four inches too narrow to fit back in a week later. I had to tweak it with a jack to make it fit back in. Does aluminum shrink in the cold ? Anyone else experience this ?
    4" sounds a bit extreme for any material to shrink. Was there some hardware missing?

-juice
    I was on the CarConnection website
    (http://www.thecarconnection.com/vehicleratings.asp)
    and plugged in the data for a 2003 Baja to see what JD Powers rated it. It was rated as follows:

Mechanical Quality: 4 out of 5
    Body and Interior Quality: 5 out of 5
    Overall Quality: 4 out of 5

In comparison, the 2004 Toyota RAV4 was 3 of 5 on overall quality.

.....and Consumer Reports recommended avoiding the 2003 Baja? I still think they had some bogus figures to work with.

Yooper