Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Baja

Comments

• once_for_allonce_for_all Posts: 1,640
    not sure. Bob posted a while back the new 2006 engines that Subaru was certifying, and we did not see anything "new" for the Baja.

I would like to see the latest turbo engine in the Baja. IIRC they have also made some efficiency improvements in the new Turbos. It is still something that I am debating for 2006. But, if there are any rumors about a larger Baja then I will hold off.

John
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    John, I suspect Subaru will make some sort of small announcement sometime after the '06 Bajas are announced. They won't make a big deal about it, or at least try not to, as the Baja represents a failure on their part. I'm sure they want to put this episode behind them as quickly as possible—and with as little fanfare as possible.

As much as I hate to say so, I'm not holding my breath for a new one. If Subaru does offer another pickup in the future, I doubt it will carry the Baja name. I have nothing firm to go on here, just a gut feeling...

Bob
    SOA incentives now up to $750 on '05. STill $1,000 on Sport.

John
  • mimasmimas Posts: 6
    Wanted to make 2000th post before swampy ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You're slacking! :P

-juice
    According to the current issue of CR (I know, not one of your favorite magazines), it clearly won out when compared to other midsize competitors. The new Frontier came in a distant second. All of them stickered around $30K, so the MSRP pricing is in line with the competition. Now what dealers are charging, that's another matter all together.

Bob
    Yep, there is room for a larger Baja that comes in at $25 k.

I am still looking at the Baja Turbo, if nothing is on the horizon I may yet end up in the loaded version. Apparently the power leather seat offers about 3/4" more headroom when lowered all the way down. Plus there are the heated seats, VTD, sportshift, and hard cover. Invoice is about $26 k with $750 cash back that puts it around $25.3.

Better deal than the $30k mid-size trucks and better mpg, but losing out on payload and room.

Hmmm.

John
    The only way to get a $25K Baja is to cut content. Remember SOA and dealers need to eat too.

Bob
    well, I agree. With either the H6 Outback, or Tribeca platform, content would have to be cut in order to do it

But, there is a market opportunity for that niche: $25k, 1100 lb payload + passengers, 24 mpg highway, AWD, IRS, 3500lb towing, and a cab for 6 footers.

You are right, sounds like a dream.

The base RT Ridgeline I think has invoice at $27.7K.

But, I think Honda came in too large. Too much HP and too much size. They need a few more mpg.

The current Sport Trac is about the right size. If Subaru came in with a vehicle like that, priced right ($25 k) and 24 mpg, I would buy it. If there was NO competition, I would likely pay $30k. That should be possible for them.

John
  • furbodefurbode Posts: 1
    Any word on whether 06 will feature side-impact airbags, or maybe a return to the yellow paint option?

Thanks
  • njswamplandsnjswamplands Posts: 1,760
    impressive execution. the thing that scared me was the 10mpg city that CR reported. also have read in the ridgeline threads about the bed being easily scratched.
    Swampy, check out the gas mileage of the other trucks in that same CR test. They're all in the same ballpark. BTW, 10 mpg was a low figure they got, and not the overall average for the Ridgeline IIFC.

Bob
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    My friend just picked up an 05 Frontier. Test drove it compared to the ridgeline and you can't compare really. I mean yeah if you want a minivan w/o the stigma of a minivan or want the pickuptruck bed of the ridgeline and are a to-the-grave Honda person, yeah the ridgeline will do the trick. But to actually compare these 2 in a real world truck situation is laughable. The Ridgeline brochure says the towing package adds "Huge Brakes" and that's a quote. I mean do they expect real buyers to buy into "Huge Brakes" as an acceptable marketing term? I guess when you are marketing to the Honda crowd you can get away with saying it has Huge Brakes but I'd rather see some more useful info on the brakes than "Huge" haaaaaaaaa

Seriously though it lacks the umph of a real truck for any kind of towing capacity and with a FWD based vehicle it's not likely to do well in towing etc. I take it that it uses the same trans as the Pilot which has been reporting poor towing results (burnt oil, slipping up to 4k at highway speeds while towing v. 2500 w/o trailer) Not a good sign for a "truck" to have.

As you said I don't put much faith in magazine reports because they are dealing with a spanking new vehicle in a controlled environment. Show me a test of the ridgeline at say 80k miles and 4 years old and lets see if it's up to the same tasks after towing/hauling at it's limit for say 30-40% of those 80k miles....

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    They beefed it up quite a bit but you're right about the issues they've had with that tranny in other vehicles.

I wonder if it has a Powerful Engine and Great Handling to go with those Huge Brakes? ;)

-juice
  • arkitectarkitect Posts: 75
    maybe even adjustable seats